[Game] Kings v. Bulls - Monday, Dec. 2 - 7 PT; 10 ET

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Holmes and Bjelica were more important to me. Getting all those stops, rebounds, second chance opportunities etc.

Also my point was about the entire season to date and not just one quarter.
What games would we have won with Buddy not "doing his best Curry impression"?

Legitimately curious. The Kings as currently constructed and missing their two best players need Buddy or Bogi to be a volume shooter in order to stay in games and as of late Bogi isn't playing well enough/healthy enough to fulfill that role.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Come on, you can’t just look at Buddy’s positives and ignore his negatives. He has a lot to offer, but he’s sometimes his own worst enemy.
Aside from miss a bunch of desperation threes down the stretch (all of which weren't horrible shots on their own), what did he do to cost the Kings the games and why is it any worse than Barnes losing track of three offensive rebounds in a row and Yogi constantly winding up guarding a guy a foot taller than him?

Hats off to the Bulls for hitting a big shot every time they needed one. The Kings have to move the ball better and get guys easier buckets. Having Fox and Bagley back will help with our woeful paint production too.

The game was blacked out so I had to listen to the game for only the second time. I really like listening to sports and should do so more often. Does Jerry occasionally join the Gman? I would like to hear that duo

Ggrrrrraaaaaaaa....it’s stuff like this that make me absolutely hate being a fan of this team. How the hell are we taking anyone lightly? I know the nba is a business, and maybe give buddy credit for saying something honest when most would give the standard cliche, but they have to have a killer instinct if they want to overcome the talent gap this team (at least currently) has.

What games would we have won with Buddy not "doing his best Curry impression"?

Legitimately curious. The Kings as currently constructed and missing their two best players need Buddy or Bogi to be a volume shooter in order to stay in games and as of late Bogi isn't playing well enough/healthy enough to fulfill that role.
Missing their two best players? I know Fox is out but surely you don't consider Bagley to be our 2nd best player?

I say they beat Den, Philly and Chicago with 2018 Buddy. They've actually gotten lucky because they've won a lot of the games where he's shot like a turd from three point range. He's shot 25% or less in 5 out of the last 7 games. He's 9 for his last 38. That's basically like having Dedmon or CoJo spamming threes for the last three games.

I consider him to be one of our best players but we need him to replicate what he did last year because what he's doing this year is far too inconsistent and unreliable. Too many games where his field goal attempts and points scored are neck and neck. That kind of efficiency isn't going to cut it. He's shooting over 2 more three pointers a game but only making .4 more than last year. He was our rock on offense last year but he's more of a loose cannon this year.

That was a bad loss. To a bad team.

Too many scoring lapses against a team that’s not known as a defensive juggernaut.

When Buddy’s not hitting his three’s, this team suffers. And the lack of scoring punch from CoJo or even being a realistic threat on that end really hurts the offense. It allows defenses to sag off and help. Even poor defenses.

Also the teams inability to get to the foul line as much as their opponents is hurting them too. How many times have we seen the KINGS in the penalty early in Q4 while their opponent has next to no fouls until the final 2 minutes?

Lastly, what Buddy apparently said about not respecting the opponent says a lot. And it’s all bad. IDK what this team or any of it’s players have accomplished to make them believe they can just show up against another NBA team.

This ain’t college ball. It ain’t Stephen F. Austin versus Duke or Kentucky versus Evansville ..... oh wait, never mind. Can’t overlook opponents at that level either.

Buddy was the only reason we were even in the game in the 4th quarter in the first place.
This team is struggling and it isn't Buddy's fault. We are starting two guys who should be coming off the bench. Our two best players are hurt and it is killing the team. Fox injury doesn't concern me as he will be back and healthy. Bagley concerns me, he gets hurt a lot and it kills the team when these two our out for extended periods

Lastly, what Buddy apparently said about not respecting the opponent says a lot. And it’s all bad. IDK what this team or any of it’s players have accomplished to make them believe they can just show up against another NBA team.

This ain’t college ball. It ain’t Stephen F. Austin versus Duke or Kentucky versus Evansville ..... oh wait, never mind. Can’t overlook opponents at that level either.
seriously....right? People talking like the bulls are some joke. Well guess what, we came into this game with a whopping 2 more wins than they have. other teams look at the kings like we apparently looked at the bulls.

Missing their two best players? I know Fox is out but surely you don't consider Bagley to be our 2nd best player?

I say they beat Den, Philly and Chicago with 2018 Buddy. They've actually gotten lucky because they've won a lot of the games where he's shot like a turd from three point range. He's shot 25% or less in 5 out of the last 7 games. He's 9 for his last 38. That's basically like having Dedmon or CoJo spamming threes for the last three games.

I consider him to be one of our best players but we need him to replicate what he did last year because what he's doing this year is far too inconsistent and unreliable. Too many games where his field goal attempts and points scored are neck and neck. That kind of efficiency isn't going to cut it. He's shooting over 2 more three pointers a game but only making .4 more than last year. He was our rock on offense last year but he's more of a loose cannon this year.
We have to get used to this.

We're not going to get 2018 Buddy for the same reason the Mavs didn't get 2019 Barnes. Buddy is clearly the focal point of the defense and I'd say Barnes is actually benefiting from it. Buddy also needs someone he can benefit from, aka Fox.

Who on the team can actually penetrate a defense, drive and kick, etc. No one. Bogi is... mediocre-ish at shot creation and is poor at actually getting to the rim. And is also half dead. Cojo clearly can't do it; he rarely attacks the rim and that's why he's a poor fit with Buddy.

Until Fox comes back, we're not going to get last year's Buddy and his usage is going skyrocket with his efficiency going the other direction. Trying to play like he did last year would end up with a passive Buddy standing around for an outlet pass or drive and kick that never comes.

seriously....right? People talking like the bulls are some joke. Well guess what, we came into this game with a whopping 2 more wins than they have. other teams look at the kings like we apparently looked at the bulls.
Don't get me wrong, I said they are a bad team as far as NBA standards go. Their record this season suggests that. And they were the road team. So I don't believe it's a stretch to say that it was a bad loss for the KINGS.

However, that doesn't mean a team in the KINGS position -- who other NBA teams might also consider a 'bad' team-- can overlook another team they believe they might be better than.

In reality, even the elite teams can't overlook the bad ones. So there's no justification for the KINGS to overlook anybody.

I really, really, really HATE that Buddy not only said that, but actually felt that way.

That 3 point shot by Buddy on a 1 on 3-5 semi fastbreak where he was the one when the score was like 102-100 with about 2minutes left was so idiotic, why? We are getting open great shots in the half court during that burst and he just killed that run with that shot selection (Bogi as well took bad shots).

Holmes is the Kings MVP the guy just plays amazing both ends.

Very frustrating loss, just have to win Bulls at home if win want to make playoffs. Still need to give them respect, because they played their best game this season (at least what i've seen to them).

Next Portland and Texas road trip. I would be happy if we can win two of these games.

That 3 point shot by Buddy on a 1 on 3-5 semi fastbreak where he was the one when the score was like 102-100 with about 2minutes left was so idiotic, why?
I completely agree, but unfortunately that's today's NBA for you. It isn't just Buddy that takes that shot. Hell, I've seen guys pass up open layups or dunks to kick out for 3. Unless it's the end of the game and you need a 3, what sense does that make? But teams and players do it all the time.

It's a total boom or bust play. Buddy makes it, the place goes crazy and he gets credit for having balls. He misses it, it's a terrible shot.

I understand the focus on shooting the 3 ball. But I just wish these players/teams wouldn't overdue it and actually make the smart play. It's my gripe with MLB too, where everyone swings for the fences (when a single will do) because their flawed analytics dept. tells them to. IMO it's one of the big reasons the LA Dodgers don't have a WS title the past few seasons.

Basketball has historically been a game about working together to get the closest and easiest shot possible. But these guys consistently take the first open shot, which isn't always the best shot. Gotta be mindful of time and situation.

But his man also dropped 20 points, most of them coming in a 2nd quarter meltdown (not entirely Bjeli's fault) so awful that the every geiger counter in the central valley probably went off.

I thought Bjeli was the least of our major problems tonight but he wasn't great out there by any means.
Or Bjeli loses him on defense and he hits his first three pointer seemingly ever
You misjudge how much of that actually is Bjelica's fault. Let me comment on the specific 3 Lauri hit which you characterized as "Bjeli loses him on defense." On that play, Bjelica played as good a defense as possible. After Holmes and Corey trapped on the pick and roll, Holmes' man was rolling to the basket by himself, Bjelica had to drop down to deny the pass and a dunk, then had to recover to contest the three. If he just simply stayed on Lauri you would probably have complained that he did not help his teammates defend. But that play was no one's fault. The Kings's were executing on their defensive plan and it just so happens that the offense executed better and took what the defense gave them.: a 3pt shot by a shooter who has been struggling instead of an uncontested dunk.

beli-step1.gif

beli-step2.gif

beli-step3.gif

Kings never really adjusted to the bulls adjustments. Early in the 1 q, the Kings were moving the ball to the wing than dumping the ball quickly to a diving teammate to the hoop. This lead to a number of easy points. The Bulls adjusted, by having three players crowd the paint and play the quick pass from the wing, which lead to 5 or 6 turnovers. Those 5 or 6 turnovers were the difference in the game.

Plus:

Justin James > Trevor Ariza at the moment and potentially for the rest of this year. Dedmon = Mikki Moore.

You misjudge how much of that actually is Bjelica's fault. Let me comment on the specific 3 Lauri hit which you characterized as "Bjeli loses him on defense." On that play, Bjelica played as good a defense as possible. After Holmes and Corey trapped on the pick and roll, Holmes' man was rolling to the basket by himself, Bjelica had to drop down to deny the pass and a dunk, then had to recover to contest the three. If he just simply stayed on Lauri you would probably have complained that he did not help his teammates defend. But that play was no one's fault. The Kings's were executing on their defensive plan and it just so happens that the offense executed better and took what the defense gave them.: a 3pt shot by a shooter who has been struggling instead of an uncontested dunk.

View attachment 9395

View attachment 9397

View attachment 9398
Yeah for some reason Tetsujin is biased against Beli.

The Kings have enough defense to stay in games. Their offense sputters at times going through scoring droughts. Fox and Bagley will help, but they need to figure out how to score when they really need it. Barnes has really stepped up, but needs more help.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
You could see the writing on the wall in the first quarter with the five turnovers. They didn't take Chicago seriously. After all, they just had beaten Denver, so who cares about Chicago:rolleyes:. All the Kings had to do was take care of the ball and play good defense. They could still have jacked up stupid shots and have won the game. But instead they played carelessly and impatiently. And lost. Stupid play leads to stupid losses.

This team is struggling and it isn't Buddy's fault. We are starting two guys who should be coming off the bench. Our two best players are hurt and it is killing the team. Fox injury doesn't concern me as he will be back and healthy. Bagley concerns me, he gets hurt a lot and it kills the team when these two our out for extended periods
Bagley is not the second best player on the roster. I expect a second unit to out-perform the fully healthy starting one because they are much better with ball movement in the half court. The advantage of the starting unit will be in the transition game.

I'm going to question the assumption that the Kings didn't take the Bulls seriously. I know what Buddy said. But that sounds like predictable stuff coming from someone who is searching for reasons to a problem they don't fully understand. Maybe it's true. But maybe the Kings just weren't making enough of their shots, and didn't have anyone scoring 30 points on the night to make the difference. Sometimes not making your shots (that you normally make) makes you look worse than you are. And maybe the Bulls played a surprisingly good game because they are proud professionals, and they desperately needed a win on their road trip.
I'm just saying I don't necessarily agree with Buddy's take that the team didn't take the Bulls seriously. In fact, Buddy is the only King I saw that didn't even chase after a Bulls player after stealing the ball from him. He just stood there and watched the Bulls player get two points. What about chasing him down, blocking his shot from behind, or being in position for a rebound? Maybe Buddy should have been speaking for himself.