Bogdan Bewildering Hamstring Article

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kings-bogdan-bogdanovic-playing-consistent-051154710.html

""I'm just trying to help the guys to win these games," Bogdanovic told NBC Sports California. "This hamstring cannot get worse than it is now, but I struggle with it. It hurts all the time. When I bend, it's there, the pain is there. But it's something I have to deal with, I have to play with consistent pain. But no excuses."

Riddle me this batman - are the players running the team or what?

"It's not a debilitating injury for Bogdanovic, but it hurts. The good news is, he can't really do further damage."

Thanks Dr. Ham, for that absurd observation Of course it can get worse. Its a strain - you know, mirco-tears in the muscle that can further tear over more area or deeper tear over the same affected area with further strenuous activity.

"6 minute stretches of play" -- Its Where's Walton's world! 6 minutes -- some completely arbitrary quantity of time. How 'bout no minutes. Zero.

Hamstrings are notorious for slow healing - and re-injury. They are, along with quads, the power muscle for sprinting. Kiss defense good-bye for starters.

Sounds foolhardy and risky - playing Bogdan on an already strained hamstring. This isn't intramurals Should rest him 2-3 weeks and re-evaluate - even if it means more losses. Of course if you ask a young player, he's gonna want to play THROUGH the pain. Sounds like he should've been out the whole time.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This has been Bogdan's bugaboo for years now. He just can't stay healthy. This latest injury, as with prior ones, is not an injury from contact. He just came up lame. When he's healthy, he can be very good. We've seen his very good play up until the latest injury. But he just can't stay healthy. Injury upon injury adds to the overall assessment that he just can't be counted on going forward. It's a shame.

I would of loved to see Bagley play tonight as his double doubles would go along ways toward making up Bogi’s play being hampered with his hamstring.

We need a good performance tonight before our road trip and can’t afford to give this game away like when Bogi sat down a few games ago. Even in short stints Bogi’s offense and and ability to create offense for others means a lot to this team.
Bagley after already sitting like 20% of the season It puzzles me that him playing tonight will derail his recovery for the Wednesday night road game 48 hours later.

This is a game where I would be very disappointed if we came out flat and I hope we put pressure on them from the start and put them away to allow players like Bogi to rest at the end of the game.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/kings-bogdan-bogdanovic-playing-consistent-051154710.html

""I'm just trying to help the guys to win these games," Bogdanovic told NBC Sports California. "This hamstring cannot get worse than it is now, but I struggle with it. It hurts all the time. When I bend, it's there, the pain is there. But it's something I have to deal with, I have to play with consistent pain. But no excuses."

Riddle me this batman - are the players running the team or what?

"It's not a debilitating injury for Bogdanovic, but it hurts. The good news is, he can't really do further damage."

Thanks Dr. Ham, for that absurd observation Of course it can get worse. Its a strain - you know, mirco-tears in the muscle that can further tear over more area or deeper tear over the same affected area with further strenuous activity.

"6 minute stretches of play" -- Its Where's Walton's world! 6 minutes -- some completely arbitrary quantity of time. How 'bout no minutes. Zero.

Hamstrings are notorious for slow healing - and re-injury. They are, along with quads, the power muscle for sprinting. Kiss defense good-bye for starters.

Sounds foolhardy and risky - playing Bogdan on an already strained hamstring. This isn't intramurals Should rest him 2-3 weeks and re-evaluate - even if it means more losses. Of course if you ask a young player, he's gonna want to play THROUGH the pain. Sounds like he should've been out the whole time.
I don't see anything in the article that suggests the players are making decisions or running the team. Also, they have a professional training staff, so it's not just Dr. Ham or Bogdan making determinations of whether he can do more damage or not. And Walton didn't come up with 6 minutes on his own.

You can guess that is is a strain, but it would be a guess since you haven't seen any tests/x-rays/MRIs.

I don't see anything in the article that suggests the players are making decisions or running the team. Also, they have a professional training staff, so it's not just Dr. Ham or Bogdan making determinations of whether he can do more damage or not. And Walton didn't come up with 6 minutes on his own.

You can guess that is is a strain, but it would be a guess since you haven't seen any tests/x-rays/MRIs.
I quote Bogdan: " ...its something I have to deal with, I have to play with consistent pain. But no excuses".
This statement is ridiculous. A player should not be playing with or through pain lest they want to risk compounding his injury.

Its a rhetorical question.....and mine was a partial tongue and cheek response. Ham is the writer, and no doctor. If there were a professional training staff, it sure doesn't sound like they're being professional with this particular injury. You don't play any minutes on even a low-grade hamstring injury unless you want to risk making it a high grade one and out many weeks/months. It doesn't matter if Walton came up with the idea or not, the point is its a questionable if not reckless idea. I watched Bogdan wince and pull up on it, grabbing at the high hamstring/side area during the Suns game when trying to get back on defense - so yeah its most likely a strain - not a contusion, nor a ligament nor a cut etc etc. h

Hell the article even states as such: "Coming off a career night against the Suns on Nov. 19, Kings guard Bogdan Bogdanovic felt some tightness in his left hamstring. Injuries of this sort are no joke. If not properly cared for, they can linger and even become chronic."

They held him out only 1 game, and now reading this garbage. Should've been held out the whole way.....if they want to risk having him out for a large chunk of the season, in trade for "6 minute" stretches they may regret it.. Oddly they handle the other injured players with conservation.

They held him out only 1 game, and now reading this garbage. Should've been held out the whole way.....if they want to risk having him out for a large chunk of the season, in trade for "6 minute" stretches they may regret it.. Oddly they handle the other injured players with conservation.
Yes, they have been very conservative with injuries to other players, that's why I've got to think that they aren't being reckless here. Clearly, Bogdan has been told by someone (assuming medical/training staff) that he can't do further damage by playing.

Without inside information about the injury, it's just conjecture that he or the staff are being reckless.

The only way this plan works is if the muscle heals faster than it's getting reinjured. If this isn't happening, it will eventually be destroyed beyond repair and mimic how the Spurs medical team lost Kawhi Leonard. If it hurts every game, stop playing.

Yes, they have been very conservative with injuries to other players, that's why I've got to think that they aren't being reckless here. Clearly, Bogdan has been told by someone (assuming medical/training staff) that he can't do further damage by playing.

Without inside information about the injury, it's just conjecture that he or the staff are being reckless.
Just because they're being conservative with other players doesn't mean they are proceeding correctly in this case. Thats why I used the word 'oddly'. The staff should be going by what Bogdan reports, but in this case they are NOT going by what Bogdan reports. When someone (or an athlete) states, "I"m playing with consistent pain" I'd call that questionable to let him play. If Bogdan isn't being honest about being in pain, well then that's a different situation. I dont see why he'd do so. There should be no pain to say anything of "consistent" pain . I would interpret the adjective to mean "nagging". The article is dated almost 2 weeks. He has been playing with "consistent" pain for almost 2 weeks even with a 4 to 5 day rest period (missing 1 game) when it initially happened. That is not a good indicator.

The only way this plan works is if the muscle heals faster than it's getting reinjured. If this isn't happening, it will eventually be destroyed beyond repair and mimic how the Spurs medical team lost Kawhi Leonard. If it hurts every game, stop playing.
Speaking of Kawhi, maybe perhaps he may need to be handled in similar fashion until he heals? It may cost games, but it may help avoid any long term issues.

Speaking of Kawhi, maybe perhaps he may need to be handled in similar fashion until he heals? It may cost games, but it may help avoid any long term issues.
Absolutely. Without Bogdan, our record is nowhere near as good as it is rn and playoffs would be that much harder to reach. I'm thinkin it, but I won't say it.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Bogi’s playing because it’s his contract year and his agent recognizes the opportunity he has while the team’s best players are out with more severe injuries.

This has been Bogdan's bugaboo for years now. He just can't stay healthy. This latest injury, as with prior ones, is not an injury from contact. He just came up lame. When he's healthy, he can be very good. We've seen his very good play up until the latest injury. But he just can't stay healthy. Injury upon injury adds to the overall assessment that he just can't be counted on going forward. It's a shame.
It’s because he never rests during the off-season. He plays with Serbia all Summer and this isn’t soccer where Champions league players can take the night off against teams at the bottom of the table.

He has to start being more judicious about when he does and doesn’t play for his country or his value is severely diminished.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Kings are saying he should not play but since its his contract year he and his agent are overriding the team. is that what you are saying?
No, I’m just saying that Bogi’s stint with Bagley and Fox out certainly isn’t hurting his contract hunt.
Bogi has a long history of stubbornly playing through injury for no reason in particular. This time he at least has a reason

I'm so over the talk of Bogi only playing poorly cause he's injured, if he's injured and had any sense he would not be trying to play like Kobe Bryant, him having bad games is mental not physical.

It’s because he never rests during the off-season. He plays with Serbia all Summer and this isn’t soccer where Champions league players can take the night off against teams at the bottom of the table.

He has to start being more judicious about when he does and doesn’t play for his country or his value is severely diminished.
Honestly, I can't really agree with this statement. 10, 15 or 20 years ago when games were a lot more physical in the regular NBA season, you had players who played in the NBA and played for their national team (maybe not every summer, but quite often). I'm talking about Peja, Dirk, Gasol brothers, Rubio, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, etc. None of those guys was constantly injured in their prime, even though they barely had any summer to chill out.

I actually think Bjelica and Barnes are having a strong start of the season and they look so good because they had a quality summer with their national teams. All I'm saying is - if you can manage your schedule to take enough rest even when you play for the national team, there's no reason not to be able to stay healthy. Bogdan was resting the second part of April, May, June and almost entire July. How much more he needs?

Oh, and btw, if he's injured, he shouldn't be playing. Simple as that.

Honestly, I can't really agree with this statement. 10, 15 or 20 years ago when games were a lot more physical in the regular NBA season, you had players who played in the NBA and played for their national team (maybe not every summer, but quite often). I'm talking about Peja, Dirk, Gasol brothers, Rubio, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, etc. None of those guys was constantly injured in their prime, even though they barely had any summer to chill out.
The game was slower 20 years ago. When the game is mostly walking, it's a lot easier on the knees.

Back then, the leading cause of injury was Karl Malone's elbow.

I actually think Bjelica and Barnes are having a strong start of the season and they look so good because they had a quality summer with their national teams. All I'm saying is - if you can manage your schedule to take enough rest even when you play for the national team, there's no reason not to be able to stay healthy. Bogdan was resting the second part of April, May, June and almost entire July. How much more he needs?

Name me one other player who has played an NBA schedule and played every summer since 2015? Yes, playing a summer or two can be beneficial. Playing every summer breaks you down. How many years do we have to watch Bogi come down with over use injuries before this becomes obvious to all?

Even on the Serbian team, you won’t find one other player who played 2016 Olympics, Eurobasket, Worlds, etc. Bogdan is literally the only player who plays in every ****ing event.

Show me the other NBA players on this roster?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:2017_EuroBasket_Serbia_men's_team_roster

And I agree if he is injured he shouldn’t be playing. Just one more data point that he does a poor job of managing his body.

Last edited:
He's hurt.

Drag because he was playing very well before that late game tweak. He was noticeably bad the other night against denver and I noticed he was unable to jump much when flagging down a late game defensive rebound and last night meh. He is hopeless moving around screens with the hamstring. He is definitely valuable these days if for no other reason then to keep the ball out of Hield's hand running an offense. Hield can shoot wonderfully but Houdini had better handles in a straight jacket.

Perhaps he plays too much. NBA and national team every year has to take a toll on the body. Got to rest the legs at some point.

Speaking of Bogdanovic, how do explain all of the lazy turnovers with bad entry passes he keeps commiting?
Maybe it is his low BBIQ?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Perhaps he plays too much. NBA and national team every year has to take a toll on the body. Got to rest the legs at some point.
We've been talking about him playing too much in the off-season for years now. He played great in the WC. It looks like the Kings' are paying for it. This theme is soo freaking old and totally frustrating. To my mind he's definitely a better player than Buddy Hield - when healthy. But if a guy is only healthy 50% or 60% of the year, who the hell cares?

It appears that the Kings medical staff said the injury won't get worse if he doesn't play more than 6 minute increments. The problem is, will it get better? With that hammy of his Bogs plays like a scrub, not a good to very good player. And now he says his opposite knee is hurting because of compensation due to the hammy. Enough is enough. Just shut him down until he gets healthy. Two weeks, three weeks, a month. Give him vaca in Europe for all I care. Whatever it takes. He's not doing the team a favor by playing injured. The kid can take his minutes, which makes sense, because Divac is playing the long game, and longer term Bogs is not going to be with this team.

We've been talking about him playing too much in the off-season for years now. He played great in the WC. It looks like the Kings' are paying for it. This theme is soo freaking old and totally frustrating. To my mind he's definitely a better player than Buddy Hield - when healthy. But if a guy is only healthy 50% or 60% of the year, who the hell cares?

It appears that the Kings medical staff said the injury won't get worse if he doesn't play more than 6 minute increments. The problem is, will it get better? With that hammy of his Bogs plays like a scrub, not a good to very good player. And now he says his opposite knee is hurting because of compensation due to the hammy. Enough is enough. Just shut him down until he gets healthy. Two weeks, three weeks, a month. Give him vaca in Europe for all I care. Whatever it takes. He's not doing the team a favor by playing injured. The kid can take his minutes, which makes sense, because Divac is playing the long game, and longer term Bogs is not going to be with this team.
The problem is that without Fox and Bogdan, we are not going to win many games. We have a better chance even with injured Bogdan because his passing stays strong.

Well Peja, when we are speaking about Peja, he once told a reporter that as 24, 25 years old he can play all year long. A couple of years later, he started being chronically injured and significantly slowed down.

About Bogdan, I understand playing Olympics, I can understand playing WC, but playing the Euro championship was a serious mistake. He must give himself free summer if he wants to avoid shortening his career.

Speaking of Bogdanovic, how do explain all of the lazy turnovers with bad entry passes he keeps commiting?
Maybe it is his low BBIQ?
Given that you have already admitted that you don't know what BBIQ is, I'd say this is a rather poor attempt at criticising Bogdan unnecessarily. His entry passes, generally speaking, are easily the best on our team. If you want to see what bad entry passes are, look no further than Buddy.