Luke Walton

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm sorry but I cannot stop myself any longer.

Luke Walton is one helluva coach. We wouldn't have won tonight's game last year. For him to continually get his players to buy into his vision is extraordinary. He shows faith in players and rewards effort in the best possible way. Justin James is absolutely shining under his coaching. Holmes has been much better than I hoped for. Harrison Barnes has completely bought in...

It's a great time to be a Kings fan...and we're just getting started.

Sometimes in the past, the kings would have a play that worked a couple times, then would do something else for whatever reason. Tonight, Luke milked that play where we switch the smaller guard on HB at the top of the key and they had no answer. Kept doing it over and over and that lead kept shrinking and shrinking. Nice the have that steady play down low when the 3s weren’t falling and nice to have a coach that understands when to use it.

Sometimes in the past, the kings would have a play that worked a couple times, then would do something else for whatever reason. Tonight, Luke milked that play where we switch the smaller guard on HB at the top of the key and they had no answer. Kept doing it over and over and that lead kept shrinking and shrinking. Nice the have that steady play down low when the 3s weren’t falling and nice to have a coach that understands when to use it.
Awesome post and point

I'm sorry but I cannot stop myself any longer.

Luke Walton is one helluva coach. We wouldn't have won tonight's game last year. For him to continually get his players to buy into his vision is extraordinary. He shows faith in players and rewards effort in the best possible way. Justin James is absolutely shining under his coaching. Holmes has been much better than I hoped for. Harrison Barnes has completely bought in...

It's a great time to be a Kings fan...and we're just getting started.
You're a little late! I started a Walton thread about a week ago!!

Carry on. Hes doing a helluva job. Him AND his staff.

His laid back assuredness was kind of infuriating after the Kings' second mega-blowout loss in Game 3, but it sounds a lot better after the past month of play. They had one flat-out bad game in Brooklyn and Philly wasn't great. In all the other losses, the Kings had a chance to win right to the end against some of the best teams in the league. You couldn't expect more with the team he's had available.

His laid back assuredness was kind of infuriating after the Kings' second mega-blowout loss in Game 3, but it sounds a lot better after the past month of play. They had one flat-out bad game in Brooklyn and Philly wasn't great. In all the other losses, the Kings had a chance to win right to the end against some of the best teams in the league. You couldn't expect more with the team he's had available.
Yea, Walton’s demeanor after the first 3 games and the Charlotte game, absolutely pissed me off. I didn’t want him to make it beyond game 10, and here we are

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Walton had the young Lakers playing really good defense before Lebron came to town and immediately tried to get everyone fired/traded.

Also, once everyone is healthy, he can run an absolutely scary defensive unit of
Fox
CoJo
Ariza/JJ
Barnes
Holmes

or
CoJo/Fox
JJ
Ariza
Barnes
Holmes

when he needs to, which should strike fear into the hearts of opponents looking for a basket around the league. A lot of the personnel has changed but I never pictured those run and gun Kings from last year developing into an absolute elite defense squad like this and the credit has to go to Vlade for acquiring the personnel and Luke for getting the guys to buy in.

Walton had the young Lakers playing really good defense before Lebron came to town and immediately tried to get everyone fired/traded.

Also, once everyone is healthy, he can run an absolutely scary defensive unit of
Fox
CoJo
Ariza/JJ
Barnes
Holmes

or
CoJo/Fox
JJ
Ariza
Barnes
Holmes

when he needs to, which should strike fear into the hearts of opponents looking for a basket around the league. A lot of the personnel has changed but I never pictured those run and gun Kings from last year developing into an absolute elite defense squad like this and the credit has to go to Vlade for acquiring the personnel and Luke for getting the guys to buy in.
Well, the second lineup you mentioned is available right now.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Here's the key comment by Walton in the presser:

"Ultimately, especially as we you know get healthy, if we can rebound like that and defend like that and now get out into the open court, that's where the vision of where this team can go gets pretty exciting."

It's not just the return of Bagley and Fox that is going to add to the excitement. At some point Walton is going ramp up the running game, which will be the liftoff stage sending this team to the stratosphere. Walton is playing it down somewhat. It's not going to be "pretty exciting." It's going to be "very exciting."

The only question i have is, how could i have doubted this man?! I feel crazy for wanting him gone so early. I’ve never been happier to be flat out wrong
I was there too. It wasn't crazy - just wrong.

After firing Malone, Karl and Joerger in a 5 year span.... and the new guy being 0-5 with a couple blowouts... nobody should be ashamed of wanting heads to roll.

Wonderful to be wrong. Luke deserves big credit now.

Fox
CoJo
Ariza/JJ
Barnes
Holmes

or
CoJo/Fox
JJ
Ariza
Barnes
Holmes

I always believed in Walton, never forget Lebron wanted Spo fires to imagine where Miami would be if they did that.

He’s truly done a tremendous job so far. For a new coach to come in and start 0-5, you’ve gotta be a great leader to still have your team buy into your philosophy and turn things around so quickly. They could have easily quit on Walton and gave up on the season.

Not to mention this has to be the best defensive Kings team since at least 2006, right? This may be a controversial opinion, but I much prefer Walton’s style to Joerger’s 2018-19 style. I like the prioity of defense and an efficient, well-spaced offense. Save our legs for the end of the season.

Last edited:
He’s truly done a tremendous job so far. For a new coach to come in and start 0-5, you’ve gotta be a great leader to still have your team buy into your philosophy and turn things around so quickly. They could have easily quit on Walton and gave up on the season.

Not to mention this has to be the best defensive Kings team since at least 2006, right? This may be a controversial opinion, but I much prefer Walton’s style to Joerger’s 2018-19 style. I like the prioity of defense and then an efficient, well-spaced offense. Save our legs for the end of the season.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is not a controversial opinion. I think the board is digging the defense and looking forward to the offense to continue to develop.

I liked Joerger, but he did appear stubborn and slow to adapt (he was always giving guys 10 games before making adjustments). Hoping Walton can continue to push the right buttons with this team as he continues to integrate new pieces.

I saw DeAaron in one of those post-game Q&A sessions earlier in the year. He is so smart and made a great point. he said Joerger is a great coach but his bread and butter is slow grit and grind. It was impressive to DeAaron how Dave adjusted his style to a running attack, but he was out of his element and it is right up Luke's alley.

didn't seem like he was throwing any shade at Dave at all. the opposite - he thought it was great that Dave would even TRY to run.

As it stands right now, it looks like Luke is a better coach for our situation after all :)

I was there too. It wasn't crazy - just wrong.

After firing Malone, Karl and Joerger in a 5 year span.... and the new guy being 0-5 with a couple blowouts... nobody should be ashamed of wanting heads to roll.

Wonderful to be wrong. Luke deserves big credit now.
Can always count on fans to overreact, both in the positive and the negative. That’s kind of the definition of being a fan(atic). :p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Not to mention this has to be the best defensive Kings team since at least 2006, right? This may be a controversial opinion, but I much prefer Walton’s style to Joerger’s 2018-19 style. I like the prioity of defense and an efficient, well-spaced offense. Save our legs for the end of the season.
I don't see anything controversial about that. :)

As someone who was pretty high on Walton those first 5 games were pretty tough. Especially after I took a hard turn on Joerger in the final third of the season until he finally lost me in the last 10 games. I have no idea how far Walton can take us but I no longer have any second thoughts on whether or not we made an upgrade.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan

I thought they were in the game in Philly, they just couldnt make some good looks. Also, Philly is a very very good defensive team

OT but this is why I wanted a Katy to get another chance he’s a very good coach and did very well until Lebron said it’s time to go.

I knew he’d make the defense better...but I’ve been in shock at the level of defense we’ve seen.
CoJo is known as one of the better defending PGs.

Holmes has always been a solid player but I didn't realize he was able to play starting level defense at the 5. The only time he's overwhelmed is when he's facing the legit sized big men of the world like Embiid.

JJ's defense has been a huge surprise.

Ariza has always been known as a good defender despite losing a step.

Dedmon is basically an average defensive center, which he's held pat on this year despite his offense being really bad.

To me the biggest surprise has been Walton getting these guys to come together on defense. Having good individual defenders is one thing but these guys are out there working together as a cohesive unit. They're switching and switching back in time. There aren't a ton of missed assignments. We aren't seeing two guys switch onto the same player, leaving the other wide open all game. When guys are switched onto bigger men, the help defense is there more often than not and even if it isn't, that player is fighting hard for position.

Walton deserves a lot of credit for the win agains Dallas.
The Kings' collpased on Luka. Once he started whining we neutralized his dominance.
Joseph worked hard on him.
Shout out to Bjelica and Barnes for stepping up.
Next we need to practice how to beat a zone.
The final play on offense was golden.

I like what I've seen from Walton so far in that he's preaching defense, he's clearly already improved the defense, and he's not overly stubborn and "sticking with his guys" as so many coaches do. The fact that Dedmon was relegated to the bench relatively quickly at the start of the season and that Buddy is benched at times (for horrible defense) shows a willingness on Luke's part to go by the results and what he sees right in front of him.

That said, we're also in the Honeymoon phase of a new coach. I'm pretty sure the early reviews for Dave Joerger were glowing as well. They generally are for a new coach when you see some positive results and changes that people were clamoring for. Ultimately time will tell and inevitably the honeymoon phase will start to wear off. All coaches have some annoying habits (to certain fans) and coaching tendencies especially in regards to player rotations. With time they become more obvious. The question is how glaring are they and do they really hinder the team much or are they just fodder for people to be annoyed with on internet forums.

Over time Joerger's annoying habits become much more apparent but he didn't help his own cause as some of the questionable decisions he made seemed to be for the sole purpose of being a disagreeable prick and not because they were the best basketball decisions.

As I said I like what I'm seeing from Walton so far but it will be extremely interesting to see how this thread holds up in the Spring after we've had a much larger sample size.