[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (NOV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
don't quite understand why the Clippers were going for a contested three pointer to win the game when you had 13 seconds to work with but hey....I'll take some overtime

don't quite understand why the Clippers were going for a contested three pointer to win the game when you had 13 seconds to work with but hey....I'll take some overtime
In general, I don't get the end of game or end of quarter iso plays teams turn to in the crunch.

Also, surprised the announcers were suggesting it was a good look and shot.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
LOL Kawhi is simply ridiculous.
Honestly still more mad about passing on him get the Stinky Fish and Jimmer than passing on Luka for Bagley. At least Marvin looks like an NBA player.

I've never had a reason to use this word before in casual conversation, but I believe the only appropriate response to a post of this quality is: Boomshakalaka! Cause the Warriors are bad this year! And yet, it feels so good.
Enjoy it because next year when they get a get top pick and all their healthy players back, they will be right back to one of the top teams. See 1996-1997 Spurs

So a
Enjoy it because next year when they get a get top pick and all their healthy players back, they will be right back to one of the top teams. See 1996-1997 Spurs
They will probability trade Russell at the break and get back even more assets. Curry, Klay and Green is still a formidable group. Add a likely top 10 pick and another first rounder and more for Russell and they will be in great shape. They could choose to keep Deangelo but I don’t think that is the plan.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Why would Minnesota give up a $19M expiring and a first rounder, to get Russell?
[Note: Discussion moved from Luka thread]

Honestly, isn't that the value of a D'Angelo Russell these days? He took a couple of years to fulfill his potential as the #2 pick, but he's obviously looking pretty good at this point. He's averaging 24.3/6.7a/3.6r with an A/T of 2, he's getting to the line a ton, and posting a TS% of .571 while holding a USG% in the low 30s. He may not be a superstar, but guys like that don't grow on trees, and there's definitely no guarantee of getting a better asset in the draft. Right now, Minny isn't even in a lotto slot, and they'd probably bet that with Russell on board playing with KAT they'll improve, not regress. We're talking giving up a pick maybe in the 17-23 range and a half year of Teague for 3.5 years of D'Lo? It's a no-brainer to me.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
LOL Kawhi is simply ridiculous.
Honestly still more mad about passing on him get the Stinky Fish and Jimmer than passing on Luka for Bagley. At least Marvin looks like an NBA player.
Kawhi’s a case where it hurts, but not a single person saw this coming so it doesn’t hurt nearly as much.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kawhi’s a case where it hurts, but not a single person saw this coming so it doesn’t hurt nearly as much.
To be fair, we had the John Salmons experience once and decided to come back for a second helping for some reason and traded our pick for a package of him and an undersized point guard who couldn't even dribble the ball up the court and came with his own irrationally rabid fanbase.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
[Note: Discussion moved from Luka thread]

Honestly, isn't that the value of a D'Angelo Russell these days? He took a couple of years to fulfill his potential as the #2 pick, but he's obviously looking pretty good at this point. He's averaging 24.3/6.7a/3.6r with an A/T of 2, he's getting to the line a ton, and posting a TS% of .571 while holding a USG% in the low 30s. He may not be a superstar, but guys like that don't grow on trees, and there's definitely no guarantee of getting a better asset in the draft. Right now, Minny isn't even in a lotto slot, and they'd probably bet that with Russell on board playing with KAT they'll improve, not regress. We're talking giving up a pick maybe in the 17-23 range and a half year of Teague for 3.5 years of D'Lo? It's a no-brainer to me.
If you say so: I'd give up one or the other for him. I don't think he's worth both.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
If you say so: I'd give up one or the other for him. I don't think he's worth both.
At the risk of getting involved in a land war in Asia, I understand why you put value on the first-round pick, but when it comes to Teague, I'm not sure why you assign any real value to him (in the sense that you wouldn't give him up AND the pick). In my mind, his expiring contract is precisely a chip that allows you to trade for another big contract and stay within salary cap rules. Metaphorically, he's an expiring gift certificate. You gotta spend him, or you lose whatever he was worth. If you're not gonna use him in a trade for D-Lo, what value does he have?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Yeah, so they'll probably get a high pick this year coming off 5 straight years in the Finals and that's sortof a bummer as a division rival, but a high draft pick doesn't guarantee anything (as we've seen for years already with our team's draft picks). As recently as last season they were still picking up former All-Stars (DeMarcus) for dirt cheap to extend their window of contention. Seeing them lose games by 40 with a rotation of all roster filler is still hilarious. Especially since they just abandoned Oakland for their shiny new San Francisco arena which means their richest fans are now paying ultra premium prices to watch this fiasco.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
At the risk of getting involved in a land war in Asia, I understand why you put value on the first-round pick, but when it comes to Teague, I'm not sure why you assign any real value to him (in the sense that you wouldn't give him up AND the pick). In my mind, his expiring contract is precisely a chip that allows you to trade for another big contract and stay within salary cap rules. Metaphorically, he's an expiring gift certificate. You gotta spend him, or you lose whatever he was worth. If you're not gonna use him in a trade for D-Lo, what value does he have?
I mean, if you're of the opinion that Minnesota can't attract free agents, I guess... I find myself believing that, with the $19M that they will have coming off the books, they can probably get someone as good as D'Angelo Russell, but that could just be me.

I mean, if you're of the opinion that Minnesota can't attract free agents, I guess... I find myself believing that, with the $19M that they will have coming off the books, they can probably get someone as good as D'Angelo Russell, but that could just be me.
Minnesota already has $104 million on the books for next season with his $19 million coming off. That is without resigning any of the other expiring contracts. That won't leave much for signing a FA the quality of Russell.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Telemachus has addressed the salary cap situation, which honestly I wasn't considering. I was more in the "Sacramento Fan" mindset of it being next to impossible to attract a top-tier free agent. My gut says Minnesota would be in a similar situation, but I could be wrong.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Ingram giving the Suns the business in the fourth quarter. I have to admit, this dude has really improved since coming to the Pelicans. He's made a ton of moves that make you nod your head and say "yeah, he's figured it out."

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Ingram giving the Suns the business in the fourth quarter. I have to admit, this dude has really improved since coming to the Pelicans. He's made a ton of moves that make you nod your head and say "yeah, he's figured it out."
I feel like he was playing like this for the Lakers before Lebron completely derailed that team/tried to trade everybody.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He was primarily a jump shooter for the Lakers, as far as I remember.
I think Walton actually tried using him as a PG when Ball was injured once to middling effect.
I think Ingram's one of those dudes who's really benefitted from an NBA training program. He's still not Dwight Howard out there but it seems like he's finally developed the strength and agility to use his length.

Other possible destinations for Russell

Spurs- they need a star player to jump start the next era

Miami- they have some young talent and Riley is aggressive

New York- not a free agent destination. Might have to get young talent through the draft and trades.

Toronto- this would need to be in the off-season if they decide not to re-sign Lowry

Status
Not open for further replies.