What will the starting lineup look like when Bagley returns from injury?

Curious on your guys thoughts? We’re entering a good flow with this current lineup and both Bjeli and Holmes look really good. How should we lineup when Bagley’s back?

I think Bagley should come off the bench, especially if Holmes continues to start. Until Bagley proves himself as a passer and defender, his game will slow the half court offense. Off the bench, he and Bogi can dominate the ball on offense, and are surrounded by defense first role players. The same way Ariza is subbed in early now, Bagley can check in for Belly, and get 30 plus minutes a night.

But I think the FO is still old school about starters and depth, the way they built the roster 3 per position.
I predict Bagley will start next to Holmes, and they'll get in each other's way on offense, which is when Dedmond starts again to space the floor.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Based on what I've seen thus far from Walton, I think our starting lineup will be based on effort and production. Bagley will have to EARN that starting slot IMHO; it won't simply be gifted to him.

And I'm fine with that. In tonight's game, Walton didn't hesitate to pull the reserves and put the starters back in. He's more results oriented and isn't worried about player egos.

Based on what I've seen thus far from Walton, I think our starting lineup will be based on effort and production. Bagley will have to EARN that starting slot IMHO; it won't simply be gifted to him.

And I'm fine with that. In tonight's game, Walton didn't hesitate to pull the reserves and put the starters back in. He's more results oriented and isn't worried about player egos.
Yes! I was overjoyed when he called that timeout. How many games did Joerger throw away last year by not stopping runs via timeout/substitution? Concur that Bagley should come off the bench and get buckets right now. Bagley as a 6th man could make this team spooky again.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think what will determine whether Bagley is back as a starter or as a sixth man will be based upon how the Kings are playing and what their record is upon his return

gunks

Hall of Famer
Off the bench until his dad tries to get Luke fired.

Jk.... but hopefully Bags can outplay Holmes and earn that start. In theory, he should be able to fit in with Bjeli for the same reasons that Holmes does.

Holmes off the bench will still probably average a double double, cleaning up after Brickdan Brickdanovic.

Bagley should come off the bench. Holmes paired with Bjelicia creates the same template from last seasons starting lineup. Holmes is pretty much much proving to be what we always wanted Willie to be. Elite dive man and lob threat, defends well in space, can run the floor really well. Bagley's skillset actually fits the second units slower pace well. The second unit desperately needs a go to scorer, Bagley can be that man. A second unit of Joseph, Bogi, Ariza, Bagley, Dedmond or Giles would work well. This is most likely not gonna happen because of politics and NBA teams being stuck in their ways(Manu Ginobli was a multiple time all star and Hall of famer coming off the bench).

Off the bench until his dad tries to get Luke fired.

Jk.... but hopefully Bags can outplay Holmes and earn that start. In theory, he should be able to fit in with Bjeli for the same reasons that Holmes does.

Holmes off the bench will still probably average a double double, cleaning up after Brickdan Brickdanovic.
Bagley isn't half the defender Holmes is. Holmes's ability as the five to defend ball screens and in space is super important. Bagley can not anchor a defense right now, if ever.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Bagley isn't half the defender Holmes is. Holmes's ability as the five to defend ball screens and in space is super important. Bagley can not anchor a defense right now, if ever.
Yeah, I reckon you're right.

I was mostly referring to our 2nd pick's lack of a skill set outside of hustle boards and paint scoring. But he doesn't play D either, how could I forget!

Hopefully his 3 point shooting comes along. Bagley flashes that at the least.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Bagley needs to come off the bench until he can play defense.

His offense will be needed off the bench.
Offense off the bench from the 4 spot is going to be provided by Bjelica. The only real question is whether Holmes is going to continue to start, or whether he'll move back to the bench in favor of Dedmon so as not to crowd Bagley out of the paint.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It's really hard to know. We haven't seen enough of Bagley this year to know to what degree he's improved his outside shot or not, so it's difficult to know who would complement his game and vice-versa. Nor have we seen enough to know the state of his defense. And we really haven't seen enough to know how Walton wants to use him. What I am currently happy about is that the team has finally righted the ship. It appears that Bagley won't be coming back to a dysfunctional ship of basketball fools, but rather to a team that is starting to finding its identity through some tough defense and an offense that slowly but surely seems to be getting more synchronized. This is all to the good. Rather than feeling all the pressure on his 20 year old shoulders to save the day, he can just focus on playing good defense and fitting in on the offensive end with his teammates.

I think the reality is we need to see where the team is at and functioning when he gets back. If we're slumping again there is no harm in injecting him into the lineup right away, either as starter or as a big minute 6th man.

If we're winning games, he needs to be brought back into the rotation. However he also needs a fair shake at earning the starting job back.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I think if Bagley would do it, him coming off the bench with this squad only makes them stronger. That was one thing Joerger did that I was in full support of because of the way he used him off the bench. As the team is I think there still is a void on the bench that Bagley can fill as the "go to". Bogdan isn't that guy, or doesn't seem to be comfortable as that guy. Bagley can be that guy. And I don't think it's that the starting unit is so good you can't mess with the flow, we've seen game after game that the bench just simply doesn't have anyone that can create high percentage looks for themselves. Bagley can.

I think Bagley will earn his starting spot back soon after he gets back healthy. Let’s be clear, he is the most talented front court player the Kings have and a future 20+pts/10+ reb a game player. I’m sure he will show that he belongs in the starting lineup pretty quickly, once he gets healthy.

The question would be who will be starting opposite him at Center or Power Forward? My best guess is that Luke would want to keep Bjeli in to help spread the floor for Fox and Bagley.

Bagley and Holmes have similar games in that they play down low and gets you rebounds. Holmes energy is infectious and a solid defender, but Bagley is more talented offensively.

Bagley is your cornerstone big and I’m sure Vlade and Luke we’re on the same page on how important Bagley is to the franchise. BTW, I think Joeger’s refusal to start Bagley is what got him fired.

In short, I think Bagley and Bjeli will start. Holmes will be the first big off the bench. Giles will be the wild card, when and if he gets healthy.

Last edited:
I think Bagley will earn his starting spot back soon after he gets back healthy. Let’s be clear, he is the most talented front court player the Kings have and a future 20+pts/10+ reb a game player. I’m sure he will show that he belongs in the starting lineup pretty quickly, once he gets healthy.

The question would be who will be starting opposite him at Center or Power Forward? My best guess is that Luke would want to keep Bjeli in to help spread the floor for Fox and Bagley.

Bagley and Holmes have similar games in that they play down low and gets you rebounds. Holmes energy is infectious and a solid defender, but Bagley is more talented offensively.

Bagley is your cornerstone big and I’m sure Vlade and Luke we’re on the same page on how important Bagley is to the franchise. BTW, I think Joeger’s refusal to start Bagley is what got him fired.

In short, I think Bagley and Bjeli will start. Holmes will be the first big off the bench. Giles will be the wild card, when and if he gets healthy.
That would be great but neither is big enough to defend traditional centers. Bagley would need to add 30lbs and they have been training him to be a wing defender not a post defender. The real question should be who starts:

Dedmon/Bagley
Holmes/Bjelicia

Unless you think Bagley’s perimeter shooting and passing has gotten better. But we haven’t seen that to date.

Offense off the bench from the 4 spot is going to be provided by Bjelica. The only real question is whether Holmes is going to continue to start, or whether he'll move back to the bench in favor of Dedmon so as not to crowd Bagley out of the paint.
The problem here is neither Bagley or Dedmon move the ball well. Nor does Buddy or Barnes. Holmes and Beli are both high IQ guys who improve the ball movement of the first group.

Everything in this post is spot on.

Neminja and Holmes are both better than Bagley currently. It's going to be awkward with Bagley coming off the bench considering that's part of the reason Joerger got fired. But, I think Bogdan's ally oops to Marvin is going to be nice considering he's in a position where he doesn't get to play with his friends, isn't comfortable being the man, and is surrounded by mediocrity. I feel bad for him but he's taking it like a pro.

I think Holmes and Bagley would work nice. Both energy guys and would eat up rebounds. They may clog the paint up a bit more on Fox, but would make up for it with offensive rebounds and put backs.

The pairing I'm a more worried about are Bagley and Barnes... they both like to iso a bit too much.