Here's one fan's message to the team. What's yours?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Stop overpaying for over the hill veterans and actually try get a player in there prime or with potential without grossly overpaying.
None of those guys want to come to Sacramento. There’s a reason we always get the second tier scraps.

Then when we offer (LaVine) other team just matches.... On that note, I’d have rather thrown most of the Barnes money at Oubre, if we’re being totally honest.

Noticed that!!! They are no longer running and wearing out the other team. It's like the Kings slowed it down, even when the other team runs. Weird to see this because we have the fastest PG in the league..
Everyone says they want to play fast and run, but even for young guys it's freaking tiring to play like the Kings played last year. I think the difference between this year and last is a coach that was yelling himself hoarse to "run run run" and was willing to yank players if they didn't push the ball. He was an ass in more than one way I'm sure, and it sounds like in many ways Vlade was justified for pulling the trigger on a coaching change, but at the same time I don't know if I've ever seen a coach put more into coaching a team (at least during a game) than Joerger last year. It was exhausting to see him pushing them on the sidelines.

Yeah if it were that easy lmao. Since everybody is clamoring to take a pay cut to come to Sacramento.
They don't have to take a pay cut just pay them what they are worth if they don't want to come here unless they are overpaid move on and pay someone else what they are worth or use the cap space to get assets with expiring deals. Just cause some players do not want to come here does not mean you should overpay unless it's a once in a lifetime talent.

My message would be to Fox:

He’s the max player and the super star. It’s time for him to have a heart-to-heart with Luke and Vlade about how he, Fox, is going to be running this team. He needs to tell Luke that Dedmon comes off the bench. Dedmon just slows Fox down and needs to be out of there. Fox needs to tell Luke how he, Fox, will be running the offense going forward. Luke spent his whole career with Kobe and the Zen Master—he will appreciate Fox’s assertiveness, and might even be waiting for it. Fox needs to tell Vlade who he wants off the team, and who we should target via trade—Fox needs to recruit those players. This is the NBA. Fox came here to have his own team, and he’s now graduated to the point where it is his time to run the team.
Trying not to be pedantic but hes not a max player and hes also not a superstar.

Right now hes playing like a third option on a good team.

They don't have to take a pay cut just pay them what they are worth if they don't want to come here unless they are overpaid move on and pay someone else what they are worth or use the cap space to get assets with expiring deals. Just cause some players do not want to come here does not mean you should overpay unless it's a once in a lifetime talent.
Who do you suggest the Kings missed out on signing?

I've been thinking about this. We have a multitude of things going on and the main issue. First off, the trip to India was super detrimental to everything. New coaches, new system and just an exhausting trip overall. It cuts training camp short by 30-40% plus they are trying to do an entire revamped half court offense.

Injuries during training camp. No cohesiveness.

China game: Fox and Bagley part of the time. Barnes, Bogi and Joseph the whole time.

Ariza might be washed up.

Dedmond cannot initiate offense.

This is where we are at as a team. I would hope some of the tiredness and cohesion issue work themselves out over the next week or two.

This is a wait and see proposition right now.

I wish that Doug Christie was one of the coaches, instead of just on the telecasts.

He brought up so many valid points about how to get the Kings out of their funk.

One of the very solid points he made was that since the team is playing so bad defensively and offensively, we need to use the "full court press" on the opposing team on every possession. He said we need to make the other team "uncomfortable" bringing the ball up every time, to prevent them from getting into a rhythm and easily setting up their offense every time down the court. He said that something as simple as that extra effort can help cause a few turnovers and momentum to swing, leading to easy buckets that can energize a team.

Vlade and Luke should really think about adding Doug Christie as an assistant coach.

I've been thinking about this. We have a multitude of things going on and the main issue. First off, the trip to India was super detrimental to everything. New coaches, new system and just an exhausting trip overall. It cuts training camp short by 30-40% plus they are trying to do an entire revamped half court offense.

Injuries during training camp. No cohesiveness.

China game: Fox and Bagley part of the time. Barnes, Bogi and Joseph the whole time.

Ariza might be washed up.

Dedmond cannot initiate offense.

This is where we are at as a team. I would hope some of the tiredness and cohesion issue work themselves out over the next week or two.

This is a wait and see proposition right now.
These international trips are really tough, especially since the nba shortened the preseason I wonder how much Vivek and Vlade will give Walton a pass knowing this. Vivek in particular given his passion for NBA in India. Everyone has GOT to know that those trips significantly put their teams behind the eight ball, but obviously it’s for the greater good of the league financially.

I’m not totally convinced it’s the root of our problems but it doesn’t help things. A smarter plan by Walton would have been to transition a young team from last years system slowly over the course of the season.

Hollinger and Nate Duncan talked about this in their last podcast (great podcast btw). Hollinger told that when he was in Memphis they had gathered some data on the effect of these preseason trips and it often had some impact on the start of the season. You lose some days on traveling, practices arent as effective since you are jet lagged and you have to run through all these events. Even Pacers seems to be looking a little sluggish apparently.

If the data in fact suggest that these trips have some negative effect, I would hope we try to avoid them as much as possible.

Hollinger and Nate Duncan talked about this in their last podcast (great podcast btw). Hollinger told that when he was in Memphis they had gathered some data on the effect of these preseason trips and it often had some impact on the start of the season. You lose some days on traveling, practices arent as effective since you are jet lagged and you have to run through all these events. Even Pacers seems to be looking a little sluggish apparently.

If the data in fact suggest that these trips have some negative effect, I would hope we try to avoid them as much as possible.
I asked here on another thread in pre season if anyone else was concerned about the India trip and them being ready to start the season.

I got one reply "Nope"

This is not about guys lacking heart. This is about an owner wanting to make a global impact. This is about a GM wanting to win a championship. This is about a coach who convinced his new boss that he needs to break the team down and build fundamentals that they will need if they are to reach the next level. This is about players trying their best to buy in with full loyalty and try to do what their coach is asking of them. And, finally, this is about we as Kings Fans... who don't give a rip about any of that. Not really. We know that running & gunning at a breakneck pace covered a lot of deficiencies, and we don't care. We want our guys to fly down the court, pass the ball frequently, surprise us with their scoring, and love the team as much as we do.

But the owner's wants cost the team valuable time in the pre-season. And the GM's wants led him to allow a coach to keep breaking them down anyway, even when the regular season has started and they need to be winning games. And the coach's need for vindication means he won't be changing course anytime soon. And the players good character means they will continue being torn between loyalty to their new coach and the strong expectations of their supportive fan base. And we fans are left to wonder why the hell none of this was communicated to us, before we entered the season with high expectations and open wallets. This is about a teeter-totter of ambition and communication...an alignment of the stated needs of all concerned, and the actual needs of everyone except the fans.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I wish that Doug Christie was one of the coaches, instead of just on the telecasts.

He brought up so many valid points about how to get the Kings out of their funk.

One of the very solid points he made was that since the team is playing so bad defensively and offensively, we need to use the "full court press" on the opposing team on every possession. He said we need to make the other team "uncomfortable" bringing the ball up every time, to prevent them from getting into a rhythm and easily setting up their offense every time down the court. He said that something as simple as that extra effort can help cause a few turnovers and momentum to swing, leading to easy buckets that can energize a team.

Vlade and Luke should really think about adding Doug Christie as an assistant coach.
you have to ask yourself, does Christie even have interest in coaching?

What the actual, this is like bizzarro world stuff. I get that we had a brutal first 4 schedule...but this team just doesn’t resemble last years at all. I’m honestly scared to listen to The Drive tomorrow AM...there will be blood.

I'm angry and sad at the same time right now, after hearing that they have not picked up 4MIL (ONLY 4 MILLION) option for Harry Giles, I decided to say what is on my heart.

This team is driving me crazy and killing me right now... yes I have not been fan since the beginning of the Sacramento Kings, I became one when I was introduced to NBA it was almost two decades ago...

Never been in Sacramento don't know what are the people like there, but for the last 6 years for almost every Kings game I have woke up in the middle of the night or stayed up all night just to watch them play, why I do it? Because I love this damn team, so that's the closest feeling getting to know Sacramento... I bleed purple, my damn blankets were and still is purple because of my love for the Kings for the past 10 years... what do I get for it, when I wake up almost every day for the last six years to watch them play? A lot of dissapointment, but on the other side my life is not easy I battle with a lot of things (depression included, away from family because of work), but Kings games always were my medicine, hearing Grant and Jerry on the call just felt right and when they are playing I forget about all my problems in that night, and just enjoyed Kings basketball, but not when they are playing like this, to be honest I can't recall the last time I did not want to wake up to watch the Kings game and the last two ones I did not see live and will likely not even watch the replay...

I'm not asking much, I just need to see some effort, just like last years pre trade deadline year, whether I have to blame the coach or Vlade, players have to look in the mirror also and look at themselves, they are earning millions of dollars to play the game of basketball... we were playing fast last year, now we are in the bottom of the league this season in off rating, def rating, even freaking PACE, now with likely Fox and Bagley getting the max contracts in the next few years we are capped, and now here comes the question, is this core (I hate to say it) overrated and last year was just a one hit wonder year? Or this team doesn't need players coach, who will talk to them quietly without raising their voice?

Can't answer the first part, but what can I answer is that they need an alpha/demanding coach who demands excellence from his players and who every single night reminds his team that wearing Kings jersey is a big honour and they should wear it with pride, because they represent the Sacramento, the fans across the world and lead by example to all other young Kings fans...

What can I answer also is will I watch the game tomorrow... the answer is most likely yes, I will try to wake up at 3 AM to watch my Kings and large part plays that it is a friday night game...

Have a good evening/night everyone!

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Does Fox see himself as the cornerstone and a star player, or does he see himself as a support player.

He plays like he sees himself as the latter.

Fox is far too passive and far too non-aggressive to be a team's top player.

Does Fox see himself as the cornerstone and a star player, or does he see himself as a support player.

He plays like he sees himself as the latter.

Fox is far too passive and far too non-aggressive to be a team's top player.
I honestly feel like this is why Shumpert was traded. He was the team leader but maybe Divac felt it was time for Fox to be. He forced it on him too early. Should have at least waited till we made playoffs if so.

I honestly feel like this is why Shumpert was traded. He was the team leader but maybe Divac felt it was time for Fox to be. He forced it on him too early. Should have at least waited till we made playoffs if so.
See, I would actually like to believe this, truth be told. That would mean Vlade actually put some thought into his moves and had/has a plan. I'm starting to think he's just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks. I'm being serious.

I think the reason Shump was traded was because he was an impending FA and they didn't want to relegate him to the bench when Barnes took over full time at the 3. So they tried to do him a solid and sent him to a Houston team that looked to have a shot.

As it turns out, Joerger had other plans, because Barnes is a 4 and we weren't totally overloaded up front.