New JJ

Interesting that he got a full deal, unlike Guy. Maybe they see the same thing that has been commented here, that he could flourish around more talented players. There's more need on the roster for a 3rd SG with length than a 4th PG.
I think the big difference between the two right now is that James looks like he can defend at the NBA level while Guy needs to get stronger.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Anyone know if Wenyen Gabriel is signed for this upcoming season?
I’m not sure what his status is right now...

PG; Fox/CoJo/Yogi
SG; Buddy/Bogs/JJ
SF; Barnes/Ariza
PF; Bagley/Bjelica
C; Dedmon/Giles/Holmes / Swanigan

Is that everyone under contract?

Hopefully a return of Brewer (or Shump?) and convert Wenyen to a regular contract rounds us out... cut Swanigan.

I’m not sure what his status is right now...

PG; Fox/CoJo/Yogi
SG; Buddy/Bogs/JJ
SF; Barnes/Ariza
PF; Bagley/Bjelica
C; Dedmon/Giles/Holmes / Swanigan

Is that everyone under contract?

Hopefully a return of Brewer (or Shump?) and convert Wenyen to a regular contract rounds us out... cut Swanigan.
I just read that Holmes isn't in the bag yet. Agree if they could bring on Brewer and cut Swanigan that would about do it.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I was kind of hoping they'd let him go and get some experience overseas if possible. He has a level of physicality but he needs to learn how to overcome his disadvantages and there are a ton of leagues that would give him a better chance to deal with that than the G-league. When they've played him at SF he's fought but he has a hard time keeping bigger players from taking him where they want to go.

The answer is yes. But he’d have been buried behind our already better bigs.

Probably could have/should have found something better than Swanigan for him though.
It would had been great if we got a better player than Swanigan for Skal, but Skal's trade value was pretty close to nothing at the time he was traded. He was buried on the bench and had no daylight to get any PT.

I liked Skal better too, but just like Swanigan, Skal would had been glued to the end of the bench next year behind Bagley, Giles, Dedmon and Bjelica (and Holmes, if signed).

Last edited:
Great news! Id assume this means James has shown enough during practice in addition to his summer league play to warrant the roster spot. Better news than reading he gets cut etc

It would had been great if we got a better player than Swanigan for Skal, but Skal's trade value was pretty close to nothing at the time he was traded. He was buried on the bench and had no daylight to get any PT.

I liked Skal better too, but just like Swanigan, Skal would had been glued to the end of the bench next year behind Bagley, Giles, Dedmon and Bjelica (and Holmes, if signed).
I felt like he could have been a stretch 5 with us. Splash from 3 and block some shots from the weak side. Why not especially on rookie scale?

So, if the other deals had to be done first and are now done, then ...? Their online roster -- https://www.nba.com/kings/roster -- is funky. Some new guys are listed (not Holmes), but Willie and Kosta are still on there, too.
Holmes likely is not on the roster on the site because his signing is not official. I don’t know that WCS has officially signed with the Warriors, either. It could be that outgoing free agents aren’t taken off the page until they sign elsewhere.

JJ hasn't been super productive in SL, but I really like what I've seen from him. He's very athletic, good size/length, already showing a lot of potential defensively, has a high IQ. He's a good ball handler and he's very unselfish, regularly finding cutters and the open man. Shows potential as a slasher and creater. He needs to improve his shot significantly but he's got good elevation on his jumper, and he has solid form when he's set and under control.

I especially like the way he carries himself. He moves with a certain confidence that not a lot of young players have. Very eager to see how he does over the coming seasons. Listening to him speak just reinforces that, very bright and switched-on kid.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Interesting that he got a full deal, unlike Guy. Maybe they see the same thing that has been commented here, that he could flourish around more talented players. There's more need on the roster for a 3rd SG with length than a 4th PG.
It’s almost like his instructions for summer league. Was to show us you can contribute without the ball. We aren’t looking at your numbers as far as points go. Show us defense and team play.

It’s almost like his instructions for summer league. Was to show us you can contribute without the ball. We aren’t looking at your numbers as far as points go. Show us defense and team play.

That is likely the case. He didn't look insecure out there, wasn't looking for his own shot. He actively passed up good looks to get his teammates better shots.

Good on James. I hope he surprises the league and becomes the steal of the draft.
Holmes situation concerns me a bit. It's been brought up before but barring injuries or pushing back Giles where will he get the playing time he diserves. I think he was free agency coup and want him to flourish here.

I just want to see him initiate the offense for a few stretches. See what it looks like. The few times I've seen him with the ball in his hands he's made great decisions and some really nice passes.