[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (JUL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Michael Porter Jr. experience seems to be going well.
Let’s be real, was he ever going to be playing in SL? My gut says no. I think the Nuggets were significantly downplaying his health with reports coming out from beat writers that he was 100% healthy and wouldn’t be restricted. Or the report that he’s the same MPJ from HS. I think it was PR for fans and everyone else. However, this injury has legitimately sealed the deal for them... and man, how unfortunate.

I saw an article less than a year ago saying that he added fish into his diet. I think the Nuggets legitimately need to take control of his nutrition if they haven’t already. He’s got the case of Kevin Durant legs with a lack in lower body strength. I watched some of his highlights in practice and I can’t tell if he put on muscle. MPJ is a multi-million dollar investment for the Nuggets. They were a very fortunate and loaded team to be able to pick him at 14. But I can’t help but wonder if MPJ scared teams from drafting Jontay at all. No offense to Jontay, but he’d take up a roster spot and salary. He’s have a lot of the rehab/medical team dedicated to his progression... all of that for a player who may or may not be a good NBA player? Especially one with that comes from a family with major injury problems.

Not saying it’s wasted resources, but it’s a lot of resources and attention for a player.

Feel bad for Michael though. Hopefully he ends up like Embiid where it might take him a few years, but he’ll eventaully be able to make it.

Why does it seem like players who have serious injuries (like Porter Jr. and his back) tend to get injured more? A knee is an unrelated injury but this seems to happen in sports. Is being injury prone a real thing? Like not just re-injuring the same area, but just being more prone to general injury?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Why does it seem like players who have serious injuries (like Porter Jr. and his back) tend to get injured more? A knee is an unrelated injury but this seems to happen in sports. Is being injury prone a real thing? Like not just re-injuring the same area, but just being more prone to general injury?
Hard to say how the knee is related to the back, but in many cases a weak area of the body is just going to put additional strain on other areas of the body. There's a lot medical science doesn't know. Maybe in the distant future medical science can actually identify markers in the body that make one what is in the vernacular, "injury prone."

P.S. Until this morning I didn't know that a couple of his family members have had ACLs. It just may be that he's prone to injury because of his genetics.

Last edited:
I didn’t even know Paul George wanted out of OKC. I doubt the Thunder knew he wanted out until this week. In other words, Kawhi pulled a LeBron and tampered on the behalf of another team and influenced PG to squeeze the Thunder

Better than the Lakers though. Clips should be contenders but not a shoo in like another LeBron super team would be.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Wonder if Westbrook will ever look in a mirror and say “Maybe it’s me?”

Lol, NAAAAAAAAAA. He’ll say he needs more triple doubles, and drive away anyone else that’s in OKC.

Wonder if Westbrook will ever look in a mirror and say “Maybe it’s me?”

Lol, NAAAAAAAAAA. He’ll say he needs more triple doubles, and drive away anyone else that’s in OKC.
I firmly believe OKC would’ve been better these last two seasons without the pretense that it was Westbrook’s team. PG really should’ve brought them closer to the level they were with Durant since his numbers pretty much came close enough if not on paper covered the void left by KD. The difference however was solely in the difference between Westbrook with KD and Westbrook after KD. Sometimes Westbrook would go wild and shoot the KD Thunder out of games but the prevailing wisdom was that he was wrong to do that and it was KDs team to lead or fail, but post KD it was his duty and entitlement to shoot the Thunder out of every game despite the fact they had a better player on roster.

So I watched Zion, and is this guy like on the cusp of turning into Oliver Miller? I don't remember him being that big in college. I know he was never really a defined muscle man or anything but it caught my attention so I assume he's bigger than when in college..

SLAB

Hall of Famer
So I watched Zion, and is this guy like on the cusp of turning into Oliver Miller? I don't remember him being that big in college. I know he was never really a defined muscle man or anything but it caught my attention so I assume he's bigger than when in college..
Idk about Oliver Miller, but one game in SL and my fears for him were already coming true. Sure he had his big dunks and dude has incredibly nimble feet for a man his size, but the two times he tried to drive into the paint against NBA sized men he got stuffed down.

He ain’t playing against college boys anymore, and he’s going to need to learn to shoot so guys can be honest with him.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Idk about Oliver Miller, but one game in SL and my fears for him were already coming true. Sure he had his big dunks and dude has incredibly nimble feet for a man his size, but the two times he tried to drive into the paint against NBA sized men he got stuffed down.

He ain’t playing against college boys anymore, and he’s going to need to learn to shoot so guys can be honest with him.
I think part of the issue is that the media started to think he was more the next Lebron than the high leaping 21st century Charles Barkley he probably actually is. (21st century Charles Barkley is still pretty darn good though!)

I think part of the issue is that the media started to think he was more the next Lebron than the high leaping 21st century Charles Barkley he probably actually is. (21st century Charles Barkley is still pretty darn good though!)
Honestly I don't know crap about Zion, I hate Duke, and I certainly didn't spend a lot of time analyzing NCAA draft prospects last year knowing we didn't have a pick. But I was pretty amazed at how the class of 2018 was talked up for 2+ years (largely Doncic, also Porter who fell off) but suddenly Zion is the second coming by mid-November. I wish him nothing but success but cynical me sees him as a product of the modern media machine as much as anything. LeBron was on the national radar as a Sophomore in high school so that's another head scratcher for me, along with the notion that "generational talent" means something completely different to me than the media which is now declaring we get 1 or 2 in every draft. But I'm a big dumb dumb so what do I know?

I’m already on record saying I believe that I don’t believe Zion will be the best player from this class.

Aside from the concern you outlined, I believe he’s going to be injury prone unless he can drop significant weight — which then diminishes the advantage he has on players his height.

Think about it. 285 pounds is a lot of weight for a 6’7 - 6’8 dude. Then add the stress on his legs/feet from jumping and landing. I think he’s a stress fracture waiting to happen. If not that, something will happen to his legs. We’ve already kinda seen it occur in college and in SL.

DeMarcus Cousins is bigger than Zion and he had to slim down from close to the same weight.

Jeramy Grant is a good player. When he came into the league he was raw on offense and a bit of a tweener, but he's developed some and on D he can guard 3 positions. Plus, Denver will be good so that'll be a late round pick. I think that's a solid deal. Grant is better than a late round pick and still young. The Nuggets have put together a beastly young team.

Status
Not open for further replies.