Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Cory Joseph

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Richaun Holmes

Votes: 13 13.3%

• Total voters

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
The players fit so it's all good, but Barnes is obviously the major get. The rest are role players to supplement the "super team".

I don't agree with the overall direction of the team so it makes it a little tricky for me.

If I go by the direction I wanted, I'd choose Barnes.
If I go by the direction that Vlade chose, I'd choose Dedmon.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I went with Barnes, largely because he was the most "essential" of the signings. I really don't think we had a real chance to sign any other legit SF, and losing Barnes would have left us a big hole. Dedmon might turn out to be a heck of a glue piece in the way that Divac did for our first Glory Era, so looking back he might end up being as important or more, but he could just be the next C we rotate through.

I expect very little from Ariza, and a lot of hustle in short minutes from Holmes. Joseph seems to be destined for rotation minutes, and he should play good D, but the price seems a bit steep.

Surprised nobody has picked Cory Joseph yet. He's been discussed here before and there's been people who have wanted him on this team for a while. His contract is a tad rich I guess.

gunks

Hall of Famer
If this was 2015, I'd say Ariza, but I went with Holmes. This team has had a short supply of high energy bangers for awhile now. He's gonna be a fun one to watch, even if it's only for 15mpg.

This team has needed some 'tude.

I went with Barnes, largely because he was the most "essential" of the signings. I really don't think we had a real chance to sign any other legit SF, and losing Barnes would have left us a big hole. Dedmon might turn out to be a heck of a glue piece in the way that Divac did for our first Glory Era, so looking back he might end up being as important or more, but he could just be the next C we rotate through.

I expect very little from Ariza, and a lot of hustle in short minutes from Holmes. Joseph seems to be destined for rotation minutes, and he should play good D, but the price seems a bit steep.
I agree, the Holmes signing was the top value, with Dedmon and Ariza ok, but Joseph? Just too much for an average PG, a career backup. Pay him less, ok, or stay with Mason and see how Guy pans out for 2nd/3rd string.

Let's be real here. We basically signed bench players. There were no upgrades of SIGNIFICANT value in the starting 5. You can argue at C but it's only slight. We basically improved our bench with solid players. That's it. Not the greatest offseason and upon reflection a bit of a downer taking into account all the cap. The only good thing is that we're not locked into any of these guys for long.

Let's be real here. We basically signed bench players. There were no upgrades of SIGNIFICANT value in the starting 5. You can argue at C but it's only slight. We basically improved our bench with solid players. That's it. Not the greatest offseason and upon reflection a bit of a downer taking into account all the cap. The only good thing is that we're not locked into any of these guys for long.
We didn't sign any franchise cornerstones but you take a massively improved bench and combine it with a hopeful improvement in Fox, Bagley, Bogi and Giles and you have a team that could sniff the playoffs depending on what happens with the other teams in the west. Buddy doesn't even need to improve, just hold pat. Bagley and Giles didn't play winning basketball at all last year but if they can just improve up to average, we will see a good sized bump in wins. The team went from only having Fox, WCS and Koufos as above average defenders to Fox, Joseph, Ariza, Dedmon and Holmes. I don't see teams averaging 115pts against us again this year.

Last year the team was 16th in ORTG and 20th in DRTG. I can see a nice step up to 10th ORTG and 15th DRTG which should be good enough to make the playoffs.

We didn't sign any franchise cornerstones but you take a massively improved bench and combine it with a hopeful improvement in Fox, Bagley, Bogi and Giles and you have a team that could sniff the playoffs depending on what happens with the other teams in the west. Buddy doesn't even need to improve, just hold pat. Bagley and Giles didn't play winning basketball at all last year but if they can just improve up to average, we will see a good sized bump in wins. The team went from only having Fox, WCS and Koufos as above average defenders to Fox, Joseph, Ariza, Dedmon and Holmes. I don't see teams averaging 115pts against us again this year.

Last year the team was 16th in ORTG and 20th in DRTG. I can see a nice step up to 10th ORTG and 15th DRTG which should be good enough to make the playoffs.
don't be surprised if reality sinks in about Ariza(seen better days),C.Joseph( average NBA player), Dedmond ( hardly wow) and we all are back next year thinking...and ''we thought we'd be better''..

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

The team better be top 5 in offense with the 3 point shooting they have. No more being a top shelf 3 point shooting team taking bottom shelf attempts per game. Defensively they should be better, but their best bet to get into the playoffs is by upping that PPG a few ticks. The additions shouldn't get in the way so that's positive. My only gripe is that holding onto some of that cap might have come in handy at the deadline like last year because if it's clear the Kings are 1 piece away from contending, being able to trade for it without touching the core is the way to go. They are obviously looking at the 2021 FA and how the team does in the next 2 seasons will determine if that's a wise gamble or not. As of yet, it's role player MLE types that's been the only thing they could grab. Ariza is the biggest question mark. If he buys in and returns to form then the Kings have a really interesting defensive combo at SF/PF in a small ball unit.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
don't be surprised if reality sinks in about Ariza(seen better days),C.Joseph( average NBA player), Dedmond ( hardly wow) and we all are back next year thinking...and ''we thought we'd be better''..
Getting better with those types is about minute aspects of the game. The talent core is elsewhere obviously and how they are used will determine where the team goes. It's a gamble but at least they do fit in theory so that means there is a chance.

Getting better with those types is about minute aspects of the game. The talent core is elsewhere obviously and how they are used will determine where the team goes. It's a gamble but at least they do fit in theory so that means there is a chance.
We needed to get a guy like Capela or Adams along with P.Beverly. Bev didn't believe in us even though we offered him more. I'm still scratching my head on the Ariza deal. Makes no sense to me.

We needed to get a guy like Capela or Adams along with P.Beverly. Bev didn't believe in us even though we offered him more. I'm still scratching my head on the Ariza deal. Makes no sense to me.
Ariza was by far my least favorite. Ariza of 3+ years ago, ok sure. But Ariza of today...I dunno. Hopefully he's not actually washed up and just wasn't trying last year. But if that's the case then there's the whole "well what makes you think he'll try this year?" question which I don't have an answer to. If he CAN be old Trevor Ariza then I think it's an ok deal.

Most of our backups last year were either below average or playing at a below average level because they were playing out of position. Now we're sized right for each position.

Ariza, I'm only banking on 15mpg from him. Luckily he's about the least important piece we signed. He could George Hill us or at least give us average production in the backup spot.

Joseph is an average PG but a top tier backup. I'm not expecting much from him other than to be better than the opponents backup PG and to play good perimeter defense when needed.

Dedmon, on an individual basis, I don't think he's better than WCS. His addition helps open up the games of Fox, Bagley and Bogi. He allows Bagley to do more work inside, is a better pick and roll player for Fox and Bogi and opens up the lane for Fox to drive. We might be giving a little bit up at the position to get more out of the other positions.

The team better be top 5 in offense with the 3 point shooting they have. No more being a top shelf 3 point shooting team taking bottom shelf attempts per game. Defensively they should be better, but their best bet to get into the playoffs is by upping that PPG a few ticks. The additions shouldn't get in the way so that's positive. My only gripe is that holding onto some of that cap might have come in handy at the deadline like last year because if it's clear the Kings are 1 piece away from contending, being able to trade for it without touching the core is the way to go. They are obviously looking at the 2021 FA and how the team does in the next 2 seasons will determine if that's a wise gamble or not. As of yet, it's role player MLE types that's been the only thing they could grab. Ariza is the biggest question mark. If he buys in and returns to form then the Kings have a really interesting defensive combo at SF/PF in a small ball unit.
I highly doubt they'll be top 5 in offense. They don't have a Harden, Kawhi, James, Durant, Giannis etc etc player. The additions we signed don't make this team rise from the 16th rated offense to a top 5 offense. You'd have to sign one of the guys I mentioned in order for that to happen a year later.

Yeah, that's sort of the point. The starters were playoff caliber last season, but once you got to the bench, especially when Bjelly and Bogdan starting struggling mid-way through the year, the team just drastically fell off. We saw it too when Bagley got hurt for those 2 stretches, the bench just fell even further down a hole Depth might have been the biggest problem last year, along with youth and inexperience from the main cogs.

We upgraded every weak spot of the team from last year:

Dedmon/Holmes>WCS/Koufos
Full season of Barnes/Ariza>Shump/JJ/Troy Williams/Corey Brewer
CoJo>Yogi/Mason

The bet always had to be on further growth from Fox/Bagley/Giles/Buddy/Bogdan. With the new role player core, we're actually giving them a shot to succeed and not be held back if they do take that stride from weak depth.

Most of our backups last year were either below average or playing at a below average level because they were playing out of position. Now we're sized right for each position.

Ariza, I'm only banking on 15mpg from him. Luckily he's about the least important piece we signed. He could George Hill us or at least give us average production in the backup spot.

Joseph is an average PG but a top tier backup. I'm not expecting much from him other than to be better than the opponents backup PG and to play good perimeter defense when needed.

Dedmon, on an individual basis, I don't think he's better than WCS. His addition helps open up the games of Fox, Bagley and Bogi. He allows Bagley to do more work inside, is a better pick and roll player for Fox and Bogi and opens up the lane for Fox to drive. We might be giving a little bit up at the position to get more out of the other positions.

I highly doubt they'll be top 5 in offense. They don't have a Harden, Kawhi, James, Durant, Giannis etc etc player. The additions we signed don't make this team rise from the 16th rated offense to a top 5 offense. You'd have to sign one of the guys I mentioned in order for that to happen a year later.

You'd have to be above average to be a top-tier backup. For as good as the Holmes signing, that's conversely how bad the Joseph signing was. 3 yr. 21, maybe ok.....3/37! Missed the dartboard.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
what was done here is pretty cut and dry. Vlade brought along veteran players that can help the team now and provide depth. It's on Fox, Bagley, Buddy and Giles now to improve and get the team into the Postseason, this team goes as they do.

what was done here is pretty cut and dry. Vlade brought along veteran players that can help the team now and provide depth. It's on Fox, Bagley, Buddy and Giles now to improve and get the team into the Postseason, this team goes as they do.
Yeah, the strategy is to support the young core. There are no major holes in the roster now to put the young guys in bad positions that may stunt their development. There are enough complementary players that the young guys should be slotted into roles that play to their strengths. How far the team goes depends on how much and how quickly they grow.

For how much cap-space they had they could've done better At least bid and take a shot for Vucevic - yes it might hurt re-signing the younger players in the future, but barring injury it would bring the playoffs into clarity. Plus getting Vucevic also theoretically relieves pressure off the younger players. They probably could've signed Holmes to add too.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Yeah, the strategy is to support the young core. There are no major holes in the roster now to put the young guys in bad positions that may stunt their development. There are enough complementary players that the young guys should be slotted into roles that play to their strengths. How far the team goes depends on how much and how quickly they grow.
perfect example is Denver. Look at how quickly they grew from one year to the next. It's not impossible and very feasible with proper coaching, hard work and determination.