Kings summer league

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, certainly no wing beef yet. I read somewhere Isaiah Pineiro got an invite. Kind of another slenderish athletic small ball PF. It will be interesting to see how the team performs after looking so bad the last few years largely due to being just a collection of guys. I get it that it's about development but having a team that can't function on the floor doesn't do much at all for development. Look at how bad Bagley looked last year. Part of that was the lack of skills around him.
When your on a summer league team, and unless you already have a roster spot with the parent club, it sort of becomes every man for himself. Everyone of these G-league or undrafted players see's this as a chance to make a case for himself. As a result you get too many iso's with over dribbling and very little teamwork. Sometimes by the 3rd or 4th game, you'll start to see what looks like a team. But to expect a bunch of undrafted players thrown together with about 4 or 5 days of practice, to look like a team just isn't reasonable.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He couldn't even take Derrick Jones Jr 1 on 1 and Jordan Bell completely shut him down. Soon as the regular season hit he was going 1 on 1 against much better players with success. Part of it was the lack of talent around him but he also showed vast improvement in just a few months.
Not part of it, most of it was having better talent around him, and playing within a more disciplined system that spread the floor where the defense couldn't collapse on him. Summer league is almost chaos at times. Players are out of position. PG's can't make good entry passes, or won't! I've been there every year, and a lot of it is very bad basketball. When your looking at a halftime score of 39 to 28, your gut sort of tells you your missing some excellence.

When your on a summer league team, and unless you already have a roster spot with the parent club, it sort of becomes every man for himself. Everyone of these G-league or undrafted players see's this as a chance to make a case for himself. As a result you get too many iso's with over dribbling and very little teamwork. Sometimes by the 3rd or 4th game, you'll start to see what looks like a team. But to expect a bunch of undrafted players thrown together with about 4 or 5 days of practice, to look like a team just isn't reasonable.
But that's on top of teams that don't look very balanced on paper either. Remember, the last few seasons the Kings have been one of the, if not the most up and down teams at times in SL. There is an excuse but other teams haven't looked that bad. Not nearly. We shall see what the balance looks like going forward. So far, very small guard heavy and totally empty in the wing spot.

But that's on top of teams that don't look very balanced on paper either. Remember, the last few seasons the Kings have been one of the, if not the most up and down teams at times in SL. There is an excuse but other teams haven't looked that bad. Not nearly. We shall see what the balance looks like going forward. So far, very small guard heavy and totally empty in the wing spot.
I would think that our two way players from last year would be there. That would be two wings. Be interesting how it works out for them and the team going forward.

Sacramento Kings (California Classic, Vegas Summer League)
PLAYERPOSHTAGEEXPLAST TEAM
B
ryce BrownSG6-3210Auburn
Harry GilesPF6-10211Sacramento Kings
Justin JamesSF6-7220Wyoming
Kyle GuySG6-3210VirginiaMarvin
Bagley
PF6-11201Sacramento Kings
Milton DoyleSG6-4251Murcia (Spain)

So as of today Hoopshype only shows 6 players? WTH?

So even adding Alex Robinson PG , and Hollis Thompson F per posts above thats still only 8 players?

I went to all 3 games last year.

The first game was awesome. One of the better Kings games I've been to period. Fox and Bagley played well. Giles was intense and shined in his first game. That was fun to watch.

The next two games however, were easily the worst basketball games I've ever seen. Pickup games at the local park look prettier than those two games.

Sacramento Kings (California Classic, Vegas Summer League)
PLAYERPOSHTAGEEXPLAST TEAM
B
ryce BrownSG6-3210Auburn
Harry GilesPF6-10211Sacramento Kings
Justin JamesSF6-7220Wyoming
Kyle GuySG6-3210VirginiaMarvin
Bagley
PF6-11201Sacramento Kings
Milton DoyleSG6-4251Murcia (Spain)

So as of today Hoopshype only shows 6 players? WTH?

So even adding Alex Robinson PG , and Hollis Thompson F per posts above thats still only 8 players?

Isaiah Pineiro is on the team too. He's more of a 4 but he's one of the few guys I'm glad to see on the Kings this summer. Can't have too much combo F size and athletic ability. The Kings are at this point even more thin on the wing than last years team. It's really strange how dead in the water the Kings have been on coverage in the post season this year. There wasn't any workout videos of the draft either and conflicting, disjointed reporting on who was even there.

I think the roster they put together this year might do some damage. There is some legit talent that fits together on it. I'm glad they added Brandon Ashley and saw they also added Marcus Derrickson who looked really good with the Warriors at times in their garbage man crew. I think Derrickson has a good chance of making the team as a 2 way player. He brings more size and shooting on the wing and can play SF/PF. He's a super physical player that will post up on smaller players and draw bigger players out.

Entity

Hall of Famer
the time is listed at 8:00 for all of our games in the California Classic. is that Pacific time? if so its gonna be late on us Eastern guys

I am from Alabama these Auburn fans around here that know nothing outside of SEC football think Bryce brown and Jared Harper have made it to the NBA. And got mad at me for telling them it just summer league roster.
leave Auburn fans alone... they always gotta play 2nd fiddle to Alabama. Just curious though, is the fanbase there divided 50/50? A friend told me it was, but I would think there'd be a lot more Alabama fans.

Not just talent but skill. In particular shooting which killed a ton of spacing. Also I recall they posted him almost constantly so it just compounded things. Not to mention you had players like Mason who tried to do way too much out there. Right now the Kings have some shooting on the squad, problem is most of them figure to be PG's or combo G's and are 6'2" or shorter.
I think the kid to watch is Gabriel.... has Wenyon’s shooting improved and does he get a roster spot.