2019 NBA Draft thread

We'll have to see how it plays out but just in terms of numbers and rotation spots, it doesn't seem like bringing Bogi back is that high a priority.
It's too early to decide on Bogdanovic. Even if you sign a guy like Beverley, the rotation would still work:

PG - Fox (32 min) / Beverley (16 min)
SG - Hield (30 min / Beverley (12 min) / Bogdanovic (6 min)
SF - Barnes (26 min) / Bogdanovic (22 min)
PF - Bagley (26 min) / Bjelica (18 min) / Barnes (4 min)
C - Cauley-Stein (26 min) / Giles (18 min) Bagley (4 min)

If Bogdan is not going to end up being in the long term plans, that doesn't necessarily mean you let him go. He'll be a RFA. Retain the asset and move him for value later.

I've always kind of had the feeling that there is a possibility that the Kings don't sign any of their 2nd rounders this year so they keep that few million free. It's certainly one way to justify this evenings totals.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Don't want to over-react, since we were picking quite low, and I don't follow college ball at all (or even much of NBA outside of Kings right now), so knew very little about the prospects. Don't also want to comment on possible trades either, since we don't know what was being offered, and the price we were asked to cough up. That said
  1. Trading down for cash considerations is extremely disrespectful to the fans. Perhaps they were aiming to get Guy, and thought he will be available at 55 too. Even so, the optics of it is really bad.
  2. While 2nd rounders rarely amount to much, teams need to do their due diligence, and hope they will get rotation players. These guys can have value in a couple of years. Good teams try to make the best of the assets they have. Not dissing on JJ, but if he was not on anyone's radar, he could have been picked with a lower pick/signed as an undrafted player.
  3. I'm okay with not drafting for need. So, if Vlade thought that there is no decent SF available, they should have picked the BPA. In Gabriel, we already have a prospect, who (after an year in the G-league), is hopefully better than anyone we could have picked with 40th or lower pick. We are of course talking about someone who can play backup SF minutes. I'm assuming HB is coming back.
That said, welcome to the Kings guys!
Other teams were just straight up selling picks (hell we did it last season) and no one seems too broken up about those.

Yea this is where I'm at. I just wanted at least one guy who might've given us some production. Fine, grab one of your Justin James and/or Kyle Guy and/or the Serbian kid but man... couldn't just select a reasonable option first like Schofield at a position of desperate need?

At the end of the day it might not matter but it's still a tad disappointing.
Remember when kings fans collectively lost their ___ when the team didn't draft Wade Baldwin I've learned to not get overly invested in these times.

I've always kind of had the feeling that there is a possibility that the Kings don't sign any of their 2nd rounders this year so they keep that few million free. It's certainly one way to justify this evenings totals.
I don't think any of these guys will be on the opening roster, but I keep picturing said money contributing to a bloated contract for WCS after striking out everywhere else.

This is an interesting response.

So when a guarantee prediction is being challenged, it must be from someone who supports the absolute complete opposite. There are apparently more nuances in the English language that I have yet to learn.
Taking 3 older SGs, a position we're stacked at, that weren't highly regarded by pretty much anybody is not good process when trying to find a rotation player in the 2nd round.

This sums it up extremely well. We didn't come close to maximizing our draft capital tonight. That's an all too-common problem for this front office.

The probably with trying to signed Undrafted FAs is that they can sign with whoever they want though. Drafting is the only way to get a guy under your control. (We can still sign him to a two-way)
It was a big reach. Equivalent to PappaG. From what I read he might work out but he is similar to Bogdan. If we are trading Bogdan it might make sense.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It was a big reach. Equivalent to PappaG. From what I read he might work out but he is similar to Bogdan. If we are trading Bogdan it might make sense.
It's hard to qualify a second round pick as as big a reach as the Papa pick. I mean, Masai once picked Bruno Caboclo.

#75,#95,#124 Someone tell this GM there’s a better way to manage assets.
Cmon, you guys are being ridiculous. You’re quoting someone else’s opinion of where those players rank. People that don’t have GM or scouting jobs and whose opinions could be wrong themselves. I mean, how many of these same folks had Draymond Green or Isaiah Thomas ranked highly? But they proved to be better than those ranked above them by the armchair QB’s.

In short, you can judge a draft by how some outside party ranks the talent. Let’s see how it plays out.

Besides, we’re talking about picks in the 40’s and later for Pete’s sake. These rankings really are arbitrary.

Taking 3 older SGs, a position we're stacked at, that weren't highly regarded by pretty much anybody is not good process when trying to find a rotation player in the 2nd round.

This sums it up extremely well. We didn't come close to maximizing our draft capital tonight. That's an all too-common problem for this front office.
Amen to that. When you continuously go against the grain as they seem to and have the sort of success ratio they've had when doing it it's going to be hard not to catch those knocks because even if it works out, it's probably by chance at that point. Common sense means a whole hell of a lot in the NBA.

Other teams were just straight up selling picks (hell we did it last season) and no one seems too broken up about those.
Last year we sold our pick and passed on Kuroc’s who contributed to the Nets. As a small market team do you really think we can afford to pass on taking bites from the apple. We sold another pick this year and dropped 8 spots.

That extends to more than draft capital.

Every time it seems there's some golden opportunity to do something they never seem to take advantage of it and in a lot of circumstances they don't even appear to try.

Every time it seems there's some golden opportunity to do something they never seem to take advantage of it and in a lot of circumstances they don't even appear to try.
Yep agreed 100%.

I still can't believe we didn't work something out with OKC for #21 to get Clarke. There were too many reports that they wanted to attach it to a contract to shed salary to not believe it was true. We could have shifted any 2nds they wanted in any year and easily taken in Roberson to make it work. My guess is we're holding all our cap to strike out in FA.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

For better or worse, Vlade seems to be from the Petrie/Pop school of playing things close to the vest and not being too eager to do something like PDA was.

There's been much written in the last 5 years about how the second round of the draft doesn't quite work the same as the first with guaranteed contracts and such. Teams usually have deals in place for the guys they want and some guys don't even want to get drafted at all if they don't go first round. There's a ton of gamesmanship and aside from maybe Bol Bol who at one time was a lotto pick I just am not going to get too worked up over anything that went on tonight.

I do think this means Bogi is on the block and someone will probably trade for him this year, not let him walk. It's also a pretty clear indication that the team has other plans for shoring up the 4/5 spot rather than gambling on someone who isn't NBA grade. Eager to see what FA brings - which was always the key to this year.

This was never projected as the strongest of drafts so the notion we passed up hidden gems is a bit laughable at the moment.

Dude even if we get Barnes did you see us playing Bogi at SF? I’m not panicking. I’m telling you other NBA teams are laughing at us. Given my track record do you think I might be correct.
How many times do you need to say that other NBA teams are laughing at us? Enough already.

Cmon, you guys are being ridiculous. You’re quoting someone else’s opinion of where those players rank. People that don’t have GM or scouting jobs and whose opinions could be wrong themselves. I mean, how many of these same folks had Draymond Green or Isaiah Thomas ranked highly? But they proved to be better than those ranked above them by the armchair QB’s.

In short, you can judge a draft by how some outside party ranks the talent. Let’s see how it plays out.

Besides, we’re talking about picks in the 40’s and later for Pete’s sake. These rankings really are arbitrary.
Its only the second round so not the end of the world.

However, you most likely did not need to spend assets to select these guys. All could have most likely been signed as undrafted FA.

Wise asset management should not be overlooked.