2019 NBA Draft thread

LOL @ going through this thread.

I think it's crazy people are going crazy for picks they didn't want. It's the 2nd round for peet's sake.

Let wait till free agency/off season is over before we start crucifying Vlade.
Nah, you can judge each step. He can make up for it in FA but makings the same questionable positional selections at a different position is concerning.

For real though, with 9 (10?) 2nd round picks in the next 3 years and $60 mil in cap space, it's pretty disappointing we didn't walk with a single guy you can point to and say "Yeah, he might get some minutes for us next year." Or "Yeah, that guy might be something in 2 years.". We took 3 guys at a position we're already stacked at, they're all older so they have a much smaller window to start contributing and weren't touted up at all by pretty much anybody, so the upside is pretty low.

No but is 15 million a year something you want to pay your back up shooting guard?
If he's worth the contract, absolutely. It's much better than letting an asset walk out the door.

It's not like Bogdan is only logging minutes at SG where there are only 14-18 minutes per game left for him (After Hield)

Hield (32 min) / Bogdanovic (16 min)
Barnes (32 min) / Bogdanovic (16 min)

That's a solid, well balanced wing rotation who are all 26-27 years old.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If he's worth the contract, absolutely. It's much better than letting an asset walk out the door.

It's not like Bogdan is only logging minutes at SG where there are only 14-18 minutes per game left for him (After Hield)

Hield (32 min) / Bogdanovic (16 min)
Barnes (32 min) / Bogdanovic (16 min)

That's a solid wing rotation.
The problem is after last season I'm not sure Bogdan is worth that contract.

Sad that a random smart person on a message board would have developed a much stronger draft for the Kings and taken the correct approach in the 2nd round (hunt for home-run picks) than a a billion dollar organization.
We have so many 2nd round picks, a large majority of them should be "swing for the fence" type picks.

It's interesting that you chose words like "stronger" draft and "correct " approach, like you know these to be truth.
The Kings have played the laughing game. You know, where everyone else is laughing at you for the moves you made and you give them a wink and a smirk back. The W/L record on that move for move is not in the Kings favor.

For real though, with 9 (10?) 2nd round picks in the next 3 years and $60 mil in cap space, it's pretty disappointing we didn't walk with a single guy you can point to and say "Yeah, he might get some minutes for us next year." Or "Yeah, that guy might be something in 2 years.". We took 3 guys at a position we're already stacked at, they're all older so they have a much smaller window to start contributing and weren't touted up at all by pretty much anybody, so the upside is pretty low.
Yea this is where I'm at. I just wanted at least one guy who might've given us some production. Fine, grab one of your Justin James and/or Kyle Guy and/or the Serbian kid but man... couldn't just select a reasonable option first like Schofield at a position of desperate need?

At the end of the day it might not matter but it's still a tad disappointing.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Luckily we don't have to decide right now, and if you're saying he's not worth it, why do you think he will get it? Are you just assuming another team will pay him that amount no matter what?
We'll have to see how it plays out but just in terms of numbers and rotation spots, it doesn't seem like bringing Bogi back is that high a priority.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yes he does. He could surprise us but would have liked to sign him in free agency to a two way contract.
The probably with trying to signed Undrafted FAs is that they can sign with whoever they want though. Drafting is the only way to get a guy under your control. (We can still sign him to a two-way)

Don't want to over-react, since we were picking quite low, and I don't follow college ball at all (or even much of NBA outside of Kings right now), so knew very little about the prospects. Don't also want to comment on possible trades either, since we don't know what was being offered, and the price we were asked to cough up. That said
  1. Trading down for cash considerations is extremely disrespectful to the fans. Perhaps they were aiming to get Guy, and thought he will be available at 55 too. Even so, the optics of it is really bad.
  2. While 2nd rounders rarely amount to much, teams need to do their due diligence, and hope they will get rotation players. These guys can have value in a couple of years. Good teams try to make the best of the assets they have. Not dissing on JJ, but if he was not on anyone's radar, he could have been picked with a lower pick/signed as an undrafted player.
  3. I'm okay with not drafting for need. So, if Vlade thought that there is no decent SF available, they should have picked the BPA. In Gabriel, we already have a prospect, who (after an year in the G-league), is hopefully better than anyone we could have picked with 40th or lower pick. We are of course talking about someone who can play backup SF minutes. I'm assuming HB is coming back.
That said, welcome to the Kings guys!