Bogi

Just because they can copy the US way of doing things, doesn't mean they will or even should. Serbia NT is not concerned with NBA teams or their worries.

Most Europeans will play for their NT when given the opportunity. That's just something fans will have to accept if they want Europeans on their teams.

Would it be better for us if he rested? Yeah, but that's a strictly selfish viewpoint and I can't see how anyone would lack the awareness to know that.
Didn’t seem to bother Jokic taking off Eurobasket.

Serbia used to be a power when not at full strength nut not anymore. Hell they struggled to qualify to the World Champs without their main players who had NBA and Euroleague commitments. It literally came down to the very last game in a pretty weak group. I am not sure where you get this “power” from. At full strength
(or close to it)?! Sure! Without main players, very much a below average team.
Come on. You went to the finals of Eurobasket without Jokic.

This is ridiculous.

Year 1: He's tired. He's been playing in the Euro league. Needs a rest. We're not seeing the real Bogs.

Year 2: He's not moving right; looks like he's injured. No separation from his man when dribbling the ball: dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble. Needs a rest to get the body right. He's a mediocrity for the season. But we're not seeing the real Bogs. He just needs some rest and maybe some therapy.

And now he's playing in the NT? Enough with the ludicrousness of it all. If he showed that he were healthy and played like he belonged with the core of this team, great, play in the NT - national pride, hip, hip hooray. But he's a walking chronic injury condition on the court. I hope he's traded to get some value for this team, the Kings' team.
I DO think the injury thing was an excuse. Yeah, he could probably stand to rest, but I'm sick of waiting for the real Bogdanovic to show up or whatever. He's at the age where we shouldn't expect much more improvement, injury or no.

Might not be a terrible idea to not offer an expensive extension if we're going to be gunning for a big FA. All these guys and the money they'll have to tie up in is worrying me.

Fans
Jokic sat out for different reasons. It had nothing to do with rest and everything to do with that max contract that he signed.

Team USA is not different to other NT. Team USA has a consistent core of players that they always sent regardless of what tournament is being played. Same with every other NT.

Is the whole squad back together to blend as a team? No! So I find it a bit rich calling out Bogi. Where is Buddy? Where is Yogi? Where are the rest of the players?

This team has blended well together over the last 2 season. Staying in Sacramento because it would make fans all warm and fuzzy is not exactly a great reason. Bogi has family, friends, former team mates to catch up with and get away from the NBA bubble.Is he not allowed to do that these days?

There was a video of Jokic in his home town playing pick up ball with his childhood friends on a concrete basketball court that looks worse for wear. Should he also stay in the bubble?

These guys bust their backside off for majority of the year. They are allowed to have some down time to get away from the team and team mates. As long as they put in the work, I am not worried about it and one thing Bogdan cannot be accused off is not putting in the work. He has been labeled as the hardest worker along with Buddy on the roster.
People are calling out Bogdan specifically because he struggled this year after battling through injuries. It seems like instead of taking the offseason to rest and fully recover, he's deciding to prep for the world cup. Yes it's still 3 months away, but where do his priorities lie?

Look at Bogdan's timeline:

Summer of 2017: plays in the Eurobasket
Fall of 2017 NBA season: slow start accredited to fatigue from Eurobasket. Otherwise good season.
April 24 2018 post season: slight tear of left meniscus, gets surgery, out for 8-10 weeks

Late summer of 2018:: plays in FIBA World Cup qualifiers, suffers minor knee injury
September 2018: Minor knee surgery 4-6 weeks
Entire 2018/2019 NBA season: inconsistent play accredited to 2 minor knee surgeries. Admits he played through pain.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's obvious how important playing for the NT is for him. No one will fault him for that. However, will this have yet another impact on his play with the Kings?

If this was Buddy or anyone else, everyone would be begging them to rehab this summer instead of playing on the NT. I guess the good thing for the Kings is that he's only our 4th most important player (Fox, Bagley, and Buddy ahead).

Fans

People are calling out Bogdan specifically because he struggled this year after battling through injuries. It seems like instead of taking the offseason to rest and fully recover, he's deciding to prep for the world cup. Yes it's still 3 months away, but where do his priorities lie?

Look at Bogdan's timeline:

Summer of 2017: plays in the Eurobasket
Fall of 2017 NBA season: slow start accredited to fatigue from Eurobasket. Otherwise good season.
April 24 2018 post season: slight tear of left meniscus, gets surgery, out for 8-10 weeks

Late summer of 2018:: plays in FIBA World Cup qualifiers, suffers minor knee injury
September 2018: Minor knee surgery 4-6 weeks
Entire 2018/2019 NBA season: inconsistent play accredited to 2 minor knee surgeries. Admits he played through pain.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's obvious how important playing for the NT is for him. No one will fault him for that. However, will this have yet another impact on his play with the Kings?

If this was Buddy or anyone else, everyone would be begging them to rehab this summer instead of playing on the NT. I guess the good thing for the Kings is that he's only our 4th most important player (Fox, Bagley, and Buddy ahead).
This is why I'm advocating trading him. The Sacramento Kings who are paying him well do not seem to be his priority.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just to be clear. Few on this board are bigger Bogi fans than myself. This isn't about Europeans in general but Bogi in particular who has played every summer for 4 years for a Serbian team that has gone deep in every international tournament. The US is a power that doesn't play the same players in every tournament. Serbia has become enough of a power to start thinking the same way and rotate giving players a summer off.
I understood what you were saying. I've just seen this debate time and time again. It's been around for the Kings since we signed Pedja. You may start out speaking about a specific player/team but it will almost always dissolve into the bigger picture argument. Hence my winking emoji.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This is why I'm advocating trading him. The Sacramento Kings who are paying him well do not seem to be his priority.
Oh come on. That's not fair. You're judging him based on your POV, which is entirely and completely different than his. I'm pretty sure Vlade has a much better handle on this than any of us possibly could have.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just because they can copy the US way of doing things, doesn't mean they will or even should. Serbia NT is not concerned with NBA teams or their worries.

Most Europeans will play for their NT when given the opportunity. That's just something fans will have to accept if they want Europeans on their teams.

Would it be better for us if he rested? Yeah, but that's a strictly selfish viewpoint and I can't see how anyone would lack the awareness to know that.
Bingo.

the other day I was listening to one Serbian basketball journalist, he was talking about Bogdan.. now he has a lot of inside informations, he speaks to lot of coaches, so I think what he said is not just his opinion, but what he picked up..

anyway he said, that he is expecting Bogdan to make really big leap in future years, and that he will really make it big.. and for example for Jokic he said that this is this, he will not get much better (but he is already very good)..

anyway Bogdan had an issue with coming into the season injured, even when he came back he was not 100%, at the begining he played on freshness, but after that he struggled, and I think than he became nervous, and season was not that good..

this year if he is healthy from start, and especially if Serbian national team makes something big, and he comes with confidence back, he will kill it imo..

one more thing, Serbian players are little bit different in terms of national team, and it has different impact than for example american.. it is really often that the player has an amazing season after national team.. for example just check Jokic stats before and after Olympics 2016, Bjelica was having Euroleague MVP season after 2014 World Championship, also some other players, that play in Euroleague.. they just get confidence, which pushes them to be even better..

so good Bogdan on World Championship, is just a good thing for Kings next season..

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm a little confused. Some here are talking about Bogi like he's some piece of crap player that we should dispose of. His first year here I could make the argument that there were times during the season that he was the best player on the floor. As a result, our expectations were higher for the next season. Unfortunately, he came into the season injured, and tried to play through it. We saw the result. I have no idea what his current injury status is right now, but I'm guessing that he's back to being healthy.

Would I prefer he stay in Sacramento and workout with the rest of the youngsters? Sure, but it's his life and he has the right to do what he wants in the off season. The positive might be that he gets back into the game shape he needs to be for next season, and that he regains his confidence. I could certainly argue that playing on his national team is a far better way to spend his summer than the way Donte Greene did, sitting in front of his TV eating chips and salsa.

I'm a little confused. Some here are talking about Bogi like he's some piece of crap player that we should dispose of. His first year here I could make the argument that there were times during the season that he was the best player on the floor. As a result, our expectations were higher for the next season. Unfortunately, he came into the season injured, and tried to play through it. We saw the result. I have no idea what his current injury status is right now, but I'm guessing that he's back to being healthy.

Would I prefer he stay in Sacramento and workout with the rest of the youngsters? Sure, but it's his life and he has the right to do what he wants in the off season. The positive might be that he gets back into the game shape he needs to be for next season, and that he regains his confidence. I could certainly argue that playing on his national team is a far better way to spend his summer than the way Donte Greene did, sitting in front of his TV eating chips and salsa.
If It's homemade guacamole and tortilla chips I'm firmly in Donte Greenes corner.

I'm also confused with the disposable player attitude of a lot of "fans" around here. I guess it's just impatience, bred from years of disappointment and a desire for instant gratification. But it's exactly that impatience and short-term focus that leads to disappointment. A self-fulfilling prophecy.
Now watch someone take me to task for thinking that we should let WCS walk. :p Well, yeah, but that's different!

Kingster

Hall of Famer

I'm also confused. I never thought Bogs had a confidence problem. When did that come up? At first (Year 1) it was he was tired because of his Euro-league play. Needs some rest. Then it was he had a bad wheel. Then he had surgery and supposedly had recovered. Then he looked liked he had some chronic bodily problem that didn't allow to get separation (dribble, dribble, dribble). Then the narrative switched to he needed more rest. Then he's getting rest playing in the Euro-league.:rolleyes: I'm just waiting for the narrative to switch back again to he shouldn't have played in the Euro-league and that he needs the rest. Personally, I'd like for him to be resting or recovering or dribble, dribble, dribbling with another team next year. Now he has a confidence problem? Is he seeing a sports therapist for this condition? Given that he's not a piece of crap, the Kings should get value for him and get a player that fits with the core of this team.

Yeah Bogi was hurt, and maybe that affected his play, but he was great when he first came back. He looked like a 6moty candidate.

Points, rebounds, assists, FG% and 3PT% all fell off after January. His shot selection just off the eye test looked worse as well. His confidence was fine, but he would settle for step backs and deep 3's. That seems like a fatigue issue.

I think when we get a better backup point guard and Bogi is Buddy’s shooting guard position backup he will shine and his game will improve.
I know he can bring the ball up but usually when he brings it up the defensive is already set. I believe he is better served by being a spot up shooter and having spacing to attack and distribute from that position of strength.

Do we trade him? I hope not unless we are getting someone who really moves the needle for us.
the way he played his first year I was impressed and give him the benefit of doubt that he was truly slowed by injury last year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm also confused. I never thought Bogs had a confidence problem. When did that come up? At first (Year 1) it was he was tired because of his Euro-league play. Needs some rest. Then it was he had a bad wheel. Then he had surgery and supposedly had recovered. Then he looked liked he had some chronic bodily problem that didn't allow to get separation (dribble, dribble, dribble). Then the narrative switched to he needed more rest. Then he's getting rest playing in the Euro-league.:rolleyes: I'm just waiting for the narrative to switch back again to he shouldn't have played in the Euro-league and that he needs the rest. Personally, I'd like for him to be resting or recovering or dribble, dribble, dribbling with another team next year. Now he has a confidence problem? Is he seeing a sports therapist for this condition? Given that he's not a piece of crap, the Kings should get value for him and get a player that fits with the core of this team.
I've never sat down and had a heart to heart with Bog's. So, like a lot of people, I'm merely speculating. But when I played, there were times I lost my confidence. Like when I faced a pitcher I had never faced before, (Von McDaniel, goggle it) , and he struck me out 4 times in a row. So yeah, that was a pretty major blow to my confidence. But, the next time I faced him I went 1 for 4 with a ground out and two fly outs. All players in all sports face temporary confidence problems. With the great players, they're far and few between and they don't last long.

If you've gone through life, and never doubted yourself, you a better man than I'am.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I've never sat down and had a heart to heart with Bog's. So, like a lot of people, I'm merely speculating. But when I played, there were times I lost my confidence. Like when I faced a pitcher I had never faced before, (Von McDaniel, goggle it) , and he struck me out 4 times in a row. So yeah, that was a pretty major blow to my confidence. But, the next time I faced him I went 1 for 4 with a ground out and two fly outs. All players in all sports face temporary confidence problems. With the great players, they're far and few between and they don't last long.

If you've gone through life, and never doubted yourself, you a better man than I'am.
My speculation is that it's a physical problem that contributes to his inconsistent play. The physical then leads to the mental, if there is a mental problem. He didn't have a problem with separation from his man because of confidence. If he didn't have physical issues, he wouldn't have mental issues (if there are any). He's a guy who is on the cusp when it comes to his athletic ability. If he gets a tweak in that athletic ability for whatever reason, he's very disadvantaged playing with NBA athletes.

I'll add my 2 cents here:
  • Bogi was resting for like 4 months last year and only played that one game for NT, I think it was in September. That's when he got injured. It could've happened in the Sacramento training camp too - he got injured without getting into a contact with another player. These guys are pros and they can handle it. People go to offices and work 10+ hours day by day and they only get like 10 days of vacation for the whole year. And we're talking if 4 months is not enough for a basketball player. Come on?
  • His season ended a while ago and he won't start any trainings before the beginning of August, that's another month and a half. Again, how much rest he actually needs? Players in Euroleague finish their seasons mid June and then start training camp for new season in early August. And they do just fine
  • Lastly, Serbia is a small country with population of only 8 million people. And we are the second greatest basketball team in the history, right after USA (at least based on the number of gold medals). Having said that, it is very important for each player to play for his country, it's the question of pride. Asking him to skip the tournament is like asking Ronaldo not to play on the World Cup for his country - not a chance. I know FIBA World Cup is not a big thing over there in US, but it's absolutely huge in Europe

Ever since it was announced that all NBA players will play for the NT this summer (Bogi, Bjelica, Jokic, Boban, Teodosic) there's a massive hype and hope that we could have a decent finals against team USA

I'll add my 2 cents here:
  • Bogi was resting for like 4 months last year and only played that one game for NT, I think it was in September. That's when he got injured. It could've happened in the Sacramento training camp too - he got injured without getting into a contact with another player. These guys are pros and they can handle it. People go to offices and work 10+ hours day by day and they only get like 10 days of vacation for the whole year. And we're talking if 4 months is not enough for a basketball player. Come on?
  • His season ended a while ago and he won't start any trainings before the beginning of August, that's another month and a half. Again, how much rest he actually needs? Players in Euroleague finish their seasons mid June and then start training camp for new season in early August. And they do just fine
  • Lastly, Serbia is a small country with population of only 8 million people. And we are the second greatest basketball team in the history, right after USA (at least based on the number of gold medals). Having said that, it is very important for each player to play for his country, it's the question of pride. Asking him to skip the tournament is like asking Ronaldo not to play on the World Cup for his country - not a chance. I know FIBA World Cup is not a big thing over there in US, but it's absolutely huge in Europe

Ever since it was announced that all NBA players will play for the NT this summer (Bogi, Bjelica, Jokic, Boban, Teodosic) there's a massive hype and hope that we could have a decent finals against team USA
I’m not sure it is accurate to compare grind of the NBA season to Euroleage. Also having a summer to rest and work on his step back 3 would help him dramatically.

Quite frankly his percentages on 3 point shooting off the dribble are not acceptable.

Player. Catch and shoot. Pull up 3
Bogi. 40.0%. 30.5%
Buddy 46.0%. 37.4%
Fox. 40.4%. 35.2%
Beli. 40.8%. 41.4%
Barnes. 42.0%. 37.0%

Most players shooting percentages fall when shooting off the dribble but Bogdan’s falls off a cliff. Also no way should Bogdan be the 5th best shooter on the team percentage wise. He needs a summer of focus on rest and honing his rhythm on the step back to at least get to league average.

I’m not sure it is accurate to compare grind of the NBA season to Euroleage. Also having a summer to rest and work on his step back 3 would help him dramatically.

Quite frankly his percentages on 3 point shooting off the dribble are not acceptable.

Bogi. 40.0%. 30.5%
Buddy 46.0%. 37.4%
Fox. 40.4%. 35.2%
Beli. 40.8%. 41.4%
Barnes. 42.0%. 37.0%

Most players shooting percentages fall when shooting off the dribble but Bogdan’s falls off a cliff. Also no way should Bogdan be the 5th best shooter on the team percentage wise. He needs a summer of focus on rest and honing his rhythm on the step back to at least get to league average.
Impresive stats for Bjelica! Also, a good argument why Bogi should cut dribling and play more off the ball. It should help having better backup PG.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Impresive stats for Bjelica! Also, a good argument why Bogi should cut dribling and play more off the ball. It should help having better backup PG.
Playing off the bench with CoJo and Harry should help him with that as opposed to him being forced into the awkward ball sharing position with De'Aaron and Buddy where none of the three guards were getting their fair share of touches.

Bogi. 40.0%. 30.5%
Buddy 46.0%. 37.4%
Fox. 40.4%. 35.2%
Beli. 40.8%. 41.4%
Barnes. 42.0%. 37.0%

Do you know what Bogdan's pull up 3 percentage was during his rookie year?