Bogi

Any of our Serbian friends know what’s up with Bogi? Was hoping he would stay in town, build more chemistry with teammates and work on his game.

For this team to be good Bogi has to be better next year.

Does anyone know if he'll play international hoop this summer? If he is get him on the block asap.
So after a knee injury/surgery hes playing competitive hoop this summer AGAIN huh...
Really?!

WOW!

The absolute best thing for Bogi would be to play for the NT. It means he is in training, he is playing games and developing. If Denver can let Nikola Jokic play, why exactly should the Kings say no to Bogdan playing for the NT? Vlade is a big believer of playing for the NT and will not stand in the way of players wishing to do so.

If you are worried about the injury, injuries can happen just walking down the street. Hell, Francisco Garcia broke his arms because the gym ball exploded under his weight. He also rolled his ankle jumping up to try and get the ball that got wedged between the backboard and the rim. Injuries can happen ANYWHERE and ANYTIME. Playing for NT does not all of a sudden mean the guy will get injured. Talk about dram queens.

Besides, the world champs are in the first half of September with the training camp for the NT taking place in August. There is PLENTY of time for Bogdan to rest up, work on his game AND play for the NT ensuring he comes to the training camp in great shape.

Really?!

WOW!

The absolute best thing for Bogi would be to play for the NT. It means he is in training, he is playing games and developing. If Denver can let Nikola Jokic play, why exactly should the Kings say no to Bogdan playing for the NT? Vlade is a big believer of playing for the NT and will not stand in the way of players wishing to do so.

If you are worried about the injury, injuries can happen just walking down the street. Hell, Francisco Garcia broke his arms because the gym ball exploded under his weight. He also rolled his ankle jumping up to try and get the ball that got wedged between the backboard and the rim. Injuries can happen ANYWHERE and ANYTIME. Playing for NT does not all of a sudden mean the guy will get injured. Talk about dram queens.

Besides, the world champs are in the first half of September with the training camp for the NT taking place in August. There is PLENTY of time for Bogdan to rest up, work on his game AND play for the NT ensuring he comes to the training camp in great shape.
I don't like it, I don't like it one bit. He needs to rest he's beginning to add up the miles and I'm unconvinced about his fit with this squad if he's going to continue to pound the rock. He's Not a SF he's definitely not a PG either. I would try to get either of those positions reinforced over having Bogdan. Only like him here as Buddy's backup going forward but theres also his contract to take into consideration.

Really?!

WOW!

To be honest working on your game and blending together as a team are two totally different things.

I get the Worlds are big. But I also know Bogi hasn’t had a healthy summer off since before the last Olympics. Jokic took off Eurobasket but is playing at Worlds. Serbia should be fine. Quite frankly having a semi rested and improved Bogi for the Olympics would be in the Kings and Serbia’s best interest.

Did not hear this much complaining when Boogie was selected to the USA NT. Am I going to see the same comments and reasoning when Fox, Giles, Bagley etc get selected to USA NT as we are reading for Bogi?
The US sends different sets of players to Worlds versus the Olympics and the US doesn’t have Eurobasket. So it’s not really close to comparable.

Jokic sat out for different reasons. It had nothing to do with rest and everything to do with that max contract that he signed.

Team USA is not different to other NT. Team USA has a consistent core of players that they always sent regardless of what tournament is being played. Same with every other NT.

Is the whole squad back together to blend as a team? No! So I find it a bit rich calling out Bogi. Where is Buddy? Where is Yogi? Where are the rest of the players?

This team has blended well together over the last 2 season. Staying in Sacramento because it would make fans all warm and fuzzy is not exactly a great reason. Bogi has family, friends, former team mates to catch up with and get away from the NBA bubble.Is he not allowed to do that these days?

There was a video of Jokic in his home town playing pick up ball with his childhood friends on a concrete basketball court that looks worse for wear. Should he also stay in the bubble?

These guys bust their backside off for majority of the year. They are allowed to have some down time to get away from the team and team mates. As long as they put in the work, I am not worried about it and one thing Bogdan cannot be accused off is not putting in the work. He has been labeled as the hardest worker along with Buddy on the roster.

Did not hear this much complaining when Boogie was selected to the USA NT. Am I going to see the same comments and reasoning when Fox, Giles, Bagley etc get selected to USA NT as we are reading for Bogi?
People were complaining about our players playing the last game of the season. A game they are under contract to play and a game the fans wanted them to win. There will always be those people who think an injury is just around the corner and can’t wait to say I told you so, even though, as you stated the injury can occur in non basketball related events. Bogi should know what his body can handle and I’m sure once we are in the playoffs consistently, he might think long and hard about preserving his body.

Jokic sat out for different reasons. It had nothing to do with rest and everything to do with that max contract that he signed.

Team USA is not different to other NT. Team USA has a consistent core of players that they always sent regardless of what tournament is being played. Same with every other NT.

Is the whole squad back together to blend as a team? No! So I find it a bit rich calling out Bogi. Where is Buddy? Where is Yogi? Where are the rest of the players?

This team has blended well together over the last 2 season. Staying in Sacramento because it would make fans all warm and fuzzy is not exactly a great reason. Bogi has family, friends, former team mates to catch up with and get away from the NBA bubble.Is he not allowed to do that these days?

There was a video of Jokic in his home town playing pick up ball with his childhood friends on a concrete basketball court that looks worse for wear. Should he also stay in the bubble?

These guys bust their backside off for majority of the year. They are allowed to have some down time to get away from the team and team mates. As long as they put in the work, I am not worried about it and one thing Bogdan cannot be accused off is not putting in the work. He has been labeled as the hardest worker along with Buddy on the roster.
No one is calling out Bogi..... wanting to see him get some rest and work on his game this summer isn’t overboard. Very few US Olympians play worlds. Serbia is enough of a world basketball power to give some guys a rest.

Unlike the Summer Olympics, USA Basketball tends to include more second-rate or up and coming talent from their pool of players for the FIBA World Cup. For their 2014 World Cup roster, USA Basketball included players like Kenneth Faried, Rudy Gay, and Mason Plumlee as part of the 12 man roster. In 2010, Team USA gave rising stars like Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, and Derrick Rose their first shot playing with the Senior Team.

Dude we have video of a number of Kings players working out, including Beli. Bogi is a key player who didn’t really improve year 2 from year 1. It’s not unreasonable to ask what he is doing this year. If we are going to be a better team, Bogi will be a key reason why.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
There's just as much chance of getting injured in a pickup game as there is playing in the European championships for your national team. Ideally, I think every team would love it if they could just lock all their players up in a gym and keep them under close supervision throughout the summer. But that's not the reality of it. Most European players go play for their national team.

By the way there was an interview of Bogi by Sportklub that goes into his adjustment to the Kings, his injury, and the differences between playing in Europe and the NBA. It's in a translated form on a different King's foum whose name is supposed to be unmentionable. It will answer some of the questions being posed. I'm sure most of you can find it. The translator admits that there's a little lost in the translation. Here's a short excerpt from it.

Q: Yes that's something i wanted to ask you, your role in the team. You was a starter, entering game from the bench, play on your SG position, quite often put in PG role, shifted to SF. How was that? How hard is to adopt when someone is constantly asking new things from you?

BB: I think i played adequately in every role coach asked from me. I even played 4 (PF), few times. I was always capable to cover more positions, and coach wanted to use that. Maybe it did influenced my game a bit, but i think on overal, i did adequate job.

In general playing in NBA, is harder to play than in Europe, because there's focus on individual stats- i mean i was okay statistically, probably would be better (stats), if there wasn't minutes limits at the beginning. System is set that way, stats matter a lot for salary, that's why there's big focus on it.

But my mentality is a bit different, to me, wins come first- and when i came back (from injury) , team was winning, i was afraid that i'm gonna ruin something, or turn it to other side (destroy team chemistry on the court). So i blamed myself sometimes. Especially when i came back we lost three games in a row. But those were Raptors, Lakers, and GSW, three really hard matches, at some point tho, i found my fit in the team.\

And a bit more:

Q: So saying that what are main differences between European and American game (okay i'm gonna shorten this one)

A: -Players are better in NBA - Different rules - faster pace than in Europe - low quality games can happen in NBA toodue to tiredness - referees also can get struck by fatigue in NBA than in Europe, due to lot more of travel, flights and all- more 1 on 1, in Europe you can way more easily get a star out of proper rythm- defensive 3 seconds is a drastic change, he said a small hyperbole that in Europe games would finish with 400 points if there was such rule.

Q: You went trough shooting crisis at one point, people had impression that you lost confidence a bit. How do you fight those circumstances?

BB: I didn't lose confidence, than i would pass the ball instead of shooting, i lost it once in my first season under Dule Vujošević. I'm in Pionir (famous Belgrade's basketball arena) have an open shot, totally alone as a ghost but i pass the ball.

Now it was more complex, at the beginning of season i needed to change way i train in the gym. I had surgery on my knee for the second time, and i started to ask myself, is this "that" (like literally am i screwed). This affected me, i constantly asked myself, will i be able to get on my old level- i injured my ankles many times, but i never run into this type of injury- so i decided to have a surgery. Then during recovery, after everything went smooth first 6 weeks, i started to feel pain. My nerve got inflamed and started to hurt. I report it, but they can't find an issue. I talked with everyone, and doctor told me, that's just probably due to surgery,my body had a trauma and that it will just pass on its own. So i continued, still felt pain, and then i gave my body a two day rest. Pain stopped after it, we did some practices to strengthen the leg a whole week before coming back to regular recovery process.

Why i'm telling you this? First they told me that i must shorten my trainings, which was hard for me. I changed way i train, which influenced my game rhythm- i always knew when ball is going in, or out, so i didn't lost my confidence. But due to fear of pain, it would happen that i shoot out of balance, which automatically disturb whole shooting release. I would need to shoot with delay or faster.

After first surgery i didn't had that fear, but after second one, nerve inflammation showed up , and i waited to see is coming back. So it took me a while about month and half to drop off the fear. Same with contact game. It was valuable experience tho, but i didn't started my season healthy and at some point i couldn't physically follow it (season) trough the end.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I understand that....he also plays for the Kings and had some health issues last year, so I would prefer he rest and be 100 %healthy for the team paying his salary
he'll have plenty of time to rest, he doesn't need a whole off season in my opinion to do so. Besides, he needs to work on his game more and fine tune his skills if he is to be part of the core moving forward.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh boy. Here we go again...

This debate has been ongoing since Euro players first started coming to the NBA. The only things that change are the nouns.

;)

Oh boy. Here we go again...

This debate has been ongoing since Euro players first started coming to the NBA. The only things that change are the nouns.

;)
Just to be clear. Few on this board are bigger Bogi fans than myself. This isn't about Europeans in general but Bogi in particular who has played every summer for 4 years for a Serbian team that has gone deep in every international tournament. The US is a power that doesn't play the same players in every tournament. Serbia has become enough of a power to start thinking the same way and rotate giving players a summer off.

Just to be clear. Few on this board are bigger Bogi fans than myself. This isn't about Europeans in general but Bogi in particular who has played every summer for 4 years for a Serbian team that has gone deep in every international tournament. The US is a power that doesn't play the same players in every tournament. Serbia has become enough of a power to start thinking the same way and rotate giving players a summer off.

Just because they can copy the US way of doing things, doesn't mean they will or even should. Serbia NT is not concerned with NBA teams or their worries.

Most Europeans will play for their NT when given the opportunity. That's just something fans will have to accept if they want Europeans on their teams.

Would it be better for us if he rested? Yeah, but that's a strictly selfish viewpoint and I can't see how anyone would lack the awareness to know that.

Serbia used to be a power when not at full strength nut not anymore. Hell they struggled to qualify to the World Champs without their main players who had NBA and Euroleague commitments. It literally came down to the very last game in a pretty weak group. I am not sure where you get this “power” from. At full strength
(or close to it)?! Sure! Without main players, very much a below average team.

I am in the "take the summer off to rehab and train" camp. I think sactowndog has a point, 4 straight years of Ball is a lot of wear and tear on a body.

By the way, how much do those national teams pay the players

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I am in the "take the summer off to rehab and train" camp. I think sactowndog has a point, 4 straight years of Ball is a lot of wear and tear on a body.

By the way, how much do those national teams pay the players
They're payed the same amount the US players are paid for participating. Is everything about money? If it were, we'd have no national team. Players have national pride world wide and want to represent their country. They're not robots you can unplug and lock in a closet till next season. That would keep things simple, wouldn't it?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This is ridiculous.

Year 1: He's tired. He's been playing in the Euro league. Needs a rest. We're not seeing the real Bogs.

Year 2: He's not moving right; looks like he's injured. No separation from his man when dribbling the ball: dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble. Needs a rest to get the body right. He's a mediocrity for the season. But we're not seeing the real Bogs. He just needs some rest and maybe some therapy.

And now he's playing in the NT? Enough with the ludicrousness of it all. If he showed that he were healthy and played like he belonged with the core of this team, great, play in the NT - national pride, hip, hip hooray. But he's a walking chronic injury condition on the court. I hope he's traded to get some value for this team, the Kings' team.

They're payed the same amount the US players are paid for participating. Is everything about money? If it were, we'd have no national team. Players have national pride world wide and want to represent their country. They're not robots you can unplug and lock in a closet till next season. That would keep things simple, wouldn't it?
Baja I agree with you 100% as I am sure the players do as well.

Past all the national pride and the fan hoopla, the NBA is a business and the players are all professionals in that business. 4 years straight playing ball warrants a rest is all I am saying:) Lots of guys in the NBA are nicked up all season long and recover in the off season.

Last edited:
This is ridiculous.

Year 1: He's tired. He's been playing in the Euro league. Needs a rest. We're not seeing the real Bogs.

Year 2: He's not moving right; looks like he's injured. No separation from his man when dribbling the ball: dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble. Needs a rest to get the body right. He's a mediocrity for the season. But we're not seeing the real Bogs. He just needs some rest and maybe some therapy.

And now he's playing in the NT? Enough with the ludicrousness of it all. If he showed that he were healthy and played like he belonged with the core of this team, great, play in the NT - national pride, hip, hip hooray. But he's a walking chronic injury condition on the court. I hope he's traded to get some value for this team, the Kings' team.

I read some article with him discussing his knee issues. It could have been bull but it sounded like that turn around at the end of the year for him might have been because they found a proper treatment at the time, which I think mostly involved rest. The tone of it sounded like he should be fine moving forward.