Fox as a finalist for MIP!

I don’t think he will win but it’s nice to see the recognition either way. The more positive news about us the better.

I think he would have won if he had a stronger finish to the season but I think he was exhausted and we limped to the finish line.

I think Pascal is winning that award but it's nice to see him make some headlines anyway. Let's hope he makes another leap year three.
The TV analysts sure went that way, but my understanding is these awards are all voted before the playoffs start which would certainly help Fox's case.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I don't think it's a robbery if one of the other guys gets it. Pretty cool that Fox is in the conversation.

I also don't think it would be too Homer to say that Fox made the biggest leap, not because I think he's better than Russell or Siakam, but because he was just AWFUL his rookie year. Fox went from total scrub to fringe all star. It as quite an improvement!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't think it's a robbery if one of the other guys gets it. Pretty cool that Fox is in the conversation.

I also don't think it would be too Homer to say that Fox made the biggest leap, not because I think he's better than Russell or Siakam, but because he was just AWFUL his rookie year. Fox went from total scrub to fringe all star. It as quite an improvement!
Pascal did absolutely nothing for the Raptors last season, he is one of those rare players that came from absolutely no where. This is his award to lose, in my opinion. I don't think many people even knew this guys name two years ago.

Pascal did absolutely nothing for the Raptors last season, he is one of those rare players that came from absolutely no where. This is his award to lose, in my opinion. I don't think many people even knew this guys name two years ago.
I'm happy with Fox being on the list, but you nailed it.

He might win the MIP regular season award, but he certainly ain't doing all that much in the postseason. Kawhi and Lowry need more help.

He’s averaging a shade under 20 points a game in the playoffs and is the Raptors 2nd leading scorer in the playoffs. He’s probably their 2nd best player. Kyle Lowry has had 1 or 2 decent games in the playoffs this year.

He’s averaging a shade under 20 points a game in the playoffs and is the Raptors 2nd leading scorer in the playoffs. He’s probably their 2nd best player. Kyle Lowry has had 1 or 2 decent games in the playoffs this year.
I should have been more specific. I’m talking recent events. When things matter more. Like game 7 and the 1st 2 games of the conference finals. He’s been marginalized.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He might win the MIP regular season award, but he certainly ain't doing all that much in the postseason. Kawhi and Lowry need more help.
the MIP is a regular season award anyway so whatever he does in the Playoffs is a bonus. Let's not act like he hasn't had some solid games in the Postseason thus far. I can see him contributing more so in Toronto. First Playoff experience for him so those players tend to perform better on their home court.

I hope Russell gets it. He absolutely was written off as a sub standard point guard. His improvement was the catalyst for the Nets resurgence. Fox had a great year, but the big knock is the Kings did not get into the playoffs. That will play a role in the voting.

I hope Russell gets it. He absolutely was written off as a sub standard point guard. His improvement was the catalyst for the Nets resurgence. Fox had a great year, but the big knock is the Kings did not get into the playoffs. That will play a role in the voting.
Russell is gonna win it in a landslide. He deserves it. Youngest All-star in the league. For Fox to be up there in his SECOND YEAR, says plenty

He probably won’t win, but I’m just glad he’s getting the recognition of a nomination.

With proper usage, this award is Bagley’s next season.
I hope Bagley makes a similar leap as Fox did this last year. That said, MIP may still be an uphill battle, as there are some who don’t think it should go to young players who make “expected” improvements. I don’t agree with that perspective for evaluating the award, but I’ve seen it expressed quite often. Unfortunately, it will work against Fox, too.

The MIP award usually does not go to second year players, because they are expected to make a jump from their rookie year.

It's an honor for Fox to make the finalist list, but he won't get it, because it typically goes to players that had already been in the league 2 to 5 years and suddenly become really good.

Last edited:
Just wanna say, despite struggles last season, Fox has never been a “scrub”. Nowhere near it

Not after making 3-4 game winners in a rookie season
Well, literally every stat in existence would disagree. The game winners were just about the only thing that went right for him last year.

And I know some of you won't believe this after my Pascal takes in the other thread, but Fox should win this pretty easily. He went from a bottom 10 player in the NBA last season, to a fringe all-star talent this year. That sort of jump is extremely rare and something we don't see very often in the NBA. More often than not, rookies who have atrocious rookie seasons end up as Josh Jackson or Frank Ntilkina; guys with some potential, but are so, so, so far away from being real NBA players

It's dumb the award makers attach certain qualifiers for certain awards. Just because Fox is a 2nd year player, doesn't mean he's not the most improved.

Pascal will most likely win it because as it was said above, Fox and Russell weren't scrubs and Fox's improvement comes with the one year of experience. Russell on the other hand was always pretty good, and just needed the right team where he could lead.

The biggest caveat to deeming Fox a scrub,decent or what have you from his rookie season is the context. He was to learn from the failed experiment that was George Hill for most of the year, and the majority of the offense consisted of getting the rock to Zach Randolph. On top of this,"every" rookie is going to already have their own struggles adjusting to the big league without even taking the team structure into consideration.

Regardless of whether he wins or not, as others have stated he made a tremendous leap and being in the final 3 as a second year player is fantastic.

I also agree with others who have said the fact that it was his second season should have no bearing. Vast year to year improvement is just that, whether or not you were "expected" to improve some anyway. Some improvement is one thing, Fox showed exceptional and noteworthy improvement.

I would love for Fox to get it, no shame if he doesn't. He has already won a lot in my eyes with or without the hardware.

Fox won't get it because the other two players are on playoff teams. I predict that Russell will win it because he was the feature player on a surprise playoff team. Not that I think that these are the kinds of metrics that should be used to decide who wins this, but IIWII.

Well, literally every stat in existence would disagree. The game winners were just about the only thing that went right for him last year.

And I know some of you won't believe this after my Pascal takes in the other thread, but Fox should win this pretty easily. He went from a bottom 10 player in the NBA last season, to a fringe all-star talent this year. That sort of jump is extremely rare and something we don't see very often in the NBA. More often than not, rookies who have atrocious rookie seasons end up as Josh Jackson or Frank Ntilkina; guys with some potential, but are so, so, so far away from being real NBA players

It's dumb the award makers attach certain qualifiers for certain awards. Just because Fox is a 2nd year player, doesn't mean he's not the most improved.
Win pretty easily. He won't. Fox had a nice improvement. But, he did not lead this team to jack.
Russell on the other hand, was the integral reason for the Nets success. Russell had the capacity to take over games. Fox, on the other hand did not. Did Fox ever take over in a game that mattered against Elite competition and was the primary reason for winning the game last year. I think he did not. Russell on the other hand did in several times. I am not discounting Fox's improvement. But, Russell's play lead to a playoff berth. That alone is a HUGE qualifier for MIP.

Win pretty easily. He won't. Fox had a nice improvement. But, he did not lead this team to jack.
Russell on the other hand, was the integral reason for the Nets success. Russell had the capacity to take over games. Fox, on the other hand did not. Did Fox ever take over in a game that mattered against Elite competition and was the primary reason for winning the game last year. I think he did not. Russell on the other hand did in several times. I am not discounting Fox's improvement. But, Russell's play lead to a playoff berth. That alone is a HUGE qualifier for MIP.
Meh

Fox also doesn’t play in the east. They both were pretty awesome. That nets team would not have made it out west

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sorry, but you pretty much did that by damning him with faint praise