Kings should bid on K. Oubre

Obviously Phoenix is going to match but we shouldn't let them get him below market rate. Long game I would like to loosen the screws to pry away M. Bridges. Thoughts?

I'll leave the chess game to you. But I do like Oubre and wish we could have snatched him up from the Wizards. I'm guessing that we tried to get him and came up short. The Suns do seem to be overloaded at the SF position with Oubre, Josh Jackson, Mikal Bridges and TJ Warren.

Not saying you guys are wrong! Maybe Oubre would be the greatest fit ever. I’m not near as high on him. But so what? I just admire and smile at the persistence.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
That's why you make a play prior to the trade deadline on someone like him. No way do they let him go after he showed out post trade.

Kings fans love him. Advanced metrics hate him. Click here to find out why!

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com...the-right-move-in-trading-away-kelly-oubre-jr

Seriously though, even if you count his improvement after getting traded to PHO, his advanced stats were still worse than Justin Jackson overall.
Eye test tells me that, while extremely athletic, he’s inconsistent. Frustratingly so. The KINGS are already stocked up on frustrating players.

I feel like he’s Shawn Marion but only set to level 3 or 4.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Some of you really, really want Oubre, don’t you? The longing for that guy on this board never seems to stop!

‘A’ for effort!
I'm not one of them. It would take very little time before the very same people that wanted him here, to be calling for his head. I have no idea what there is to rave about with Oubre. He's been in the league for 4 years, and in that time, he's had almost zero improvement. His overall shooting percentage of 42.4% and his three point percentage of 32.1% hasn't changed more than a few tenths of a percentage point in that four year span. He's not a good passer who averages less than one assist a game. He's an average to below average rebounder.

Yes, he'll have that occasional game where he looks like a superstar, but so does Willie. I'd go so far as to say that Oubre is more inconsistent than Wille is. I simply don't get the fascination with him. Other than being a good athlete, I don't see that much to get excited about.

I guess I’m guilty of having seen a few of his “superstar” performances and then thinking this guy’s got tremendous potential. For sure he’s more than a “good athlete.” I’ve observed that he’s long and seems to get a lot of deflections. But he doesn’t stay in front of his man nearly as well as Barnes. Like I said, I’m happy with Barnes and believe the best is yet to come. Oubre is someone I wanted when he had yet to be given a chance as a regular starter, and I thought his value was much lower than what the Suns gave up for him. So he’s not really on my list anymore.

I'm not one of them. It would take very little time before the very same people that wanted him here, to be calling for his head. I have no idea what there is to rave about with Oubre. He's been in the league for 4 years, and in that time, he's had almost zero improvement. His overall shooting percentage of 42.4% and his three point percentage of 32.1% hasn't changed more than a few tenths of a percentage point in that four year span. He's not a good passer who averages less than one assist a game. He's an average to below average rebounder.

Yes, he'll have that occasional game where he looks like a superstar, but so does Willie. I'd go so far as to say that Oubre is more inconsistent than Wille is. I simply don't get the fascination with him. Other than being a good athlete, I don't see that much to get excited about.
Preach brotha! I didn’t want to stomp on their dreams, but I fully agree with you. I almost was going to compare him to Willie in terms of tantalizing physical talent that tends to disappoint. That’s why I made the comment about the KINGS being stocked up with frustrating players.

I don’t get the Oubre fascination, but I was beginning to believe I was in the minority.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So it looks more like the rumor is that the Kings are among the teams that might be a landing spot for Oubre, combined with the idea that Tim Montemayor thinks that 4/$80M is a reasonable deal for him. That's not quite a rumor that somebody is actually offering 4/$80M, unless his broadcast is more specific in sourcing 4/$80M as an actual rumor.

(Lordy, using the phrase "actual rumor" to distinguish it from something even more tenuous...gotta love the offseason!)

So it looks more like the rumor is that the Kings are among the teams that might be a landing spot for Oubre, combined with the idea that Tim Montemayor thinks that 4/$80M is a reasonable deal for him. That's not quite a rumor that somebody is actually offering 4/$80M, unless his broadcast is more specific in sourcing 4/$80M as an actual rumor.

(Lordy, using the phrase "actual rumor" to distinguish it from something even more tenuous...gotta love the offseason!)
He claimed sources told him at that price. Two of them

ESP47 nailed it if it was true that it is probably his agent, well one of the sources.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
For the record, I'm happy with Barnes. But before Barnes, I would have liked us to get Oubre rather than Porter.
If your talking only about money, then I get where your coming from. But other than that, Porter is ten times the player Oubre is. I'm always fascinated by people who hate Willie for his inconsistency, but love Oubre, who is probably more inconsistent than Willie. Look, Oubre, like Willie is a terrific athlete, but he can't shoot the ball from the three. He sometimes plays terrific defense, and then other times seems to be day dreaming. If Barnes and Porter are 10's on a scale of 1 to 10, then Oubre is about a 4 or 5. The one thing he has going for him is that he's young.

Oubre has been in the league for 4 years, and his 3pt shot hasn't improved one bit. He's a career 32.1% 3 pt shooter, and last year he shot 31.1%. If your looking for players to stretch the floor, Oubre isn't one of them. Yeah, he'll have that occasional game where he's hot, but he'll follow that game with a clinker. I know I'm being redundant here, but I just don't get the love....

Pass. Now this would be a signing that does not move the needle for us. I could see the interest before getting Barnes. If something drastic happens and we don't keep Barnes, then I might re-visit but at a different number.

Not sure he provides us with what we need and will creep into minutes from the rest of the backcourt that is already here at which point their value drops.

If your talking only about money, then I get where your coming from. But other than that, Porter is ten times the player Oubre is. I'm always fascinated by people who hate Willie for his inconsistency, but love Oubre, who is probably more inconsistent than Willie. Look, Oubre, like Willie is a terrific athlete, but he can't shoot the ball from the three. He sometimes plays terrific defense, and then other times seems to be day dreaming. If Barnes and Porter are 10's on a scale of 1 to 10, then Oubre is about a 4 or 5. The one thing he has going for him is that he's young.

Oubre has been in the league for 4 years, and his 3pt shot hasn't improved one bit. He's a career 32.1% 3 pt shooter, and last year he shot 31.1%. If your looking for players to stretch the floor, Oubre isn't one of them. Yeah, he'll have that occasional game where he's hot, but he'll follow that game with a clinker. I know I'm being redundant here, but I just don't get the love....
Whoa! Oubre with the Bulls looked like he might be one trade away from becoming a real player. But everyone was talking about Porter, and Porter was looking to get paid big time (despite not having an alpha mentality on the offensive end).
But now fast-forward to today and Oubre looks as you say he looks: inconsistent, not a reliable shooter, distracted.
I wasn’t suggesting that we should replace Barnes with Oubre, ok?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Not a big fan of Oubre. Not for the price he will command. Need a Center and backup PG like Beverly first. Doubt there is money for an Oubre.