KingsFans.com Free Agency Wish List: 6th Choice?

If all Free Agents would sign with the Kings at market value, who would be your 6th choice?

• Al Horford - 33

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bojan Bogdanovic - 30

• DeMarcus Cousins - 29

• Kemba Walker - 29

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
KingsFans.com Free Agency Wish List
#1 Kevin Durant
#2 Kawhi Leonard
#3 Nikola Vucevic
#4 Klay Thompson
#5 Khris Middleton

If all Free Agents would sign with the Kings at market value (with the exception of Durant, Leonard, Vucevic, Thompson, & Middleton), who would be your 6th choice?

Assumptions:
  • For unrestricted free agents, all free agents would sign with the Kings if we matched the best offer given to them in FA (similar to how restricted free agency works). This means that your 1st choice may not come down to the best player, but perhaps the player you think would have the most valuable contract.
  • For restricted free agents, consider how much we would have to pay to potentially lure them away
  • Barnes opts into his contract.
  • The decision around Cauley-Stein's FA is left up to you.

Please do not let the line of thinking "that's unrealistic" come into play when making your decision. Basketball executives still put a name down for #1, #2, #3, etc. on their draft board despite having the 10th pick. Let's make this a similar exercise.

Also, nominate a new free agent in a comment down below. The player who gets the most votes will replace the winner as a new option in the next poll.

WIth this PR nightmare ongoing, Kings don't have a chance in hell with any quality free agent.
Agents will steer their clients away from Sac like the plague. Another coaching change, inexperienced GM and Front office. Sac will absolutely be the dead last desperation choice for any and all first or second tier free agents.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
WIth this PR nightmare ongoing, Kings don't have a chance in hell with any quality free agent.
Agents will steer their clients away from Sac like the plague. Another coaching change, inexperienced GM and Front office. Sac will absolutely be the dead last desperation choice for any and all first or second tier free agents.
And the people will break out with festering sores, and the seas and rivers will turn to blood, the sun will scorch the people with its fire, and then the heavens will turn black as sackcloth. We get it.

I'm sorry...but whoever votes for Tobias is insaneeee. I made my plea for Jimmy in the last thread. I think he can bring leadership to this team and we can depend on his offensive scoring ability while Fox and Bagley prepare to erupt as scorers. His defense is also the best out of anyone in this group.

Tobias? I think he's overrated. Clippers continue to win without him and the Sixers were winning without him. I do like that he offers floor spacing and another scoring option, but he doesn't really move the needle for me.

Think about this:
If we add Jimmy Butler to this team, are the Kings a playoff lock? YES.
If we add Tobias Harris to this team, are the Kings a playoff lock? NO.

That's how I'd wrap up this debate.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I made my plea for Jimmy in the last thread. I think he can bring leadership to this team.
Jimmy...Butler? The same Jimmy Butler whose "leadership" cratered both the Bulls and the Timberwolves in the last couple of years, that Jimmy Butler? I think our team is a bit too young and a bit too delicate yet for his kind of "leadership".

I'm sorry...but whoever votes for Tobias is insaneeee. I made my plea for Jimmy in the last thread. I think he can bring leadership to this team and we can depend on his offensive scoring ability while Fox and Bagley prepare to erupt as scorers. His defense is also the best out of anyone in this group.

Tobias? I think he's overrated. Clippers continue to win without him and the Sixers were winning without him. I do like that he offers floor spacing and another scoring option, but he doesn't really move the needle for me.

Think about this:
If we add Jimmy Butler to this team, are the Kings a playoff lock? YES.
If we add Tobias Harris to this team, are the Kings a playoff lock? NO.

That's how I'd wrap up this debate.
I think his floor spacing is what holds me back. With Fox & Bagley in our core going forward, we'll need three floor spacers around them. Butler is not going to help with that.

His age is also a bit of a concern at 30. He won't be able to grow and age with our roster. The point of this year would be to sign a big free agent (if we can) who we may be able to hang onto for 5-7 years. Butler being 30 makes that difficult.

I think Harris would give us a better long term product while Butler would be more immediate gains only to experience a bit of a falloff once he starts to decline due to age.

EDIT: if anything, you should be calling out the person that selected Lopez over someone like Butler :p

Jimmy...Butler? The same Jimmy Butler whose "leadership" cratered both the Bulls and the Timberwolves in the last couple of years, that Jimmy Butler? I think our team is a bit too young and a bit too delicate yet for his kind of "leadership".
Maybe it's revisionist history, but Jimmy Butler on the Bulls carried that entire team into the playoffs with 35yearold Dwayne Wade. No offense to any of the guys on the 2016-2017 Bulls roster, but there's absolutely no one worthy of a name drop aside from their overpaid vets of Wade, Lopez, Gibson, and Rondo. Bulls were dysfunctional without Butler.

Butler on the T-Wolves? Yeah that was bad all-around, but you can't blame Butler for seeing that Wiggins is only there to collect paychecks. Or to see that KAT rests on defense. The lack of accountability was astonishing. I think there's a big difference in mentality between Embiid and Simmons compared to KAT and Wiggins. There's no surprise we haven't heard a single peep out of Jimmy in Philadelphia. He's surrounded by actual talent and guys who want to be the best in the league. I would hope our young players feel the same way.

This team is a bit too sensitive, but they need to grow up... they arguably quit on the team towards the end of the season. Butler would be a player who wouldn't let that happen.

I think his floor spacing is what holds me back. With Fox & Bagley in our core going forward, we'll need three floor spacers around them. Butler is not going to help with that.

His age is also a bit of a concern at 30. He won't be able to grow and age with our roster. The point of this year would be to sign a big free agent (if we can) who we may be able to hang onto for 5-7 years. Butler being 30 makes that difficult.

I think Harris would give us a better long term product while Butler would be more immediate gains only to experience a bit of a falloff once he starts to decline due to age.

EDIT: if anything, you should be calling out the person that selected Lopez over someone like Butler :p
Floor spacing is also an issue no doubt. I think what he bring to both floors does triumphs the lack of floor spacing. He's not a non-shooter like DeRozan, but he's a capable one like Fox. Age wouldn't matter for me as long as we make the playoffs...and that's the main reason why I do prefer Butler over Tobias. Jimmy elevates us instantly into the playoffs..I think it would be a guarantee. This isn't the T-Wolves/Butler situation because we wouldn't need to give up anything for Butler. He's free on top of whatever we already have.

Harris doesn't give you playoffs. He's a very clear upgrade, but I want playoffs. I'd rather get swept in the 1st round next year with Jimmy vs. looking "spooky for the uture" with Tobias at 9th seed.

KingsFans.com Free Agency Wish List
#1 Kevin Durant
#2 Kawhi Leonard
#3 Nikola Vucevic
#4 Klay Thompson
#5 Khris Middleton

If all Free Agents would sign with the Kings at market value (with the exception of Durant, Leonard, Vucevic, Thompson, & Middleton), who would be your 6th choice?
For me, the order of the top guys woulda be a tad different.

1- Kawhi Leonard
2- Kevin Durant
3- Klay Thompson
4- Nikola Vučević
5- Khris Middleton

Regarding Kawhi over KD, I realize KD is a more prolific scorer and does lots of other things really well too, but I still feel Kawhi is the more well-rounded 2-way player and fits better within a team dynamic stressing 5 guys touching the ball. I also like his more subdued, quiet demeanor over KD who has turned into a fake tough guy and technical waiting to happen.

I’d also take Klay over Vuc due to his elite catch and shoot ability and how that’d fit with another elite shooter in Buddy Hield.

As for who would be 6th? I’m gonna have to think on that for a while.....

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm going with Jimmy Buckets in this slot. He is 30 years old so he doesn't have too much left of his prime years but he would bring that nasty and make other players accountable attitude to the team when they get lackadaisical

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
For me, the order of the top guys woulda be a tad different.

1- Kawhi Leonard
2- Kevin Durant
3- Klay Thompson
4- Nikola Vučević
5- Khris Middleton

Regarding Kawhi over KD, I realize KD is a more prolific scorer and does lots of other things really well too, but I still feel Kawhi is the more well-rounded 2-way player and fits better within a team dynamic stressing 5 guys touching the ball. I also like his more subdued, quiet demeanor over KD who has turned into a fake tough guy and technical waiting to happen.

I’d also take Klay over Vuc due to his elite catch and shoot ability and how that’d fit with another elite shooter in Buddy Hield.

As for who would be 6th? I’m gonna have to think on that for a while.....
You're in essence reordering the poll results?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My bad, I’m late to this party and didn’t realize the order listed was from a poll. So, yes, I guess I was reordering it from my own preference.

But now that you’ve brought my blunder to attention and I understand what’s going on, I’ll shut up and get the heck outta here. ;)
I only commented because I thought it was pretty original. :)

I see a royal pain writer, Wang, made a case for Butler today. I'm not sure how any of you feel about this site or if the writer is delusional, im just putting it out there.

I'm aware of Butler's past team chemistry issues, but I dont think even Jimmy can doubt the work ethic or hunger of our young team. He certainly is a serious wing talent.

I see a royal pain writer, Wang, made a case for Butler today. I'm not sure how any of you feel about this site or if the writer is delusional, im just putting it out there.

I'm aware of Butler's past team chemistry issues, but I dont think even Jimmy can doubt the work ethic or hunger of our young team. He certainly is a serious wing talent.
I think Butler is extremely talented, but see 2 problems with bringing him here. First, he is a bit redundant with Barnes. I agree he is a better overall player, but you would be investing almost $60 million at the SF position. Secondly, I'm not sure his talent is worth taking a chance on him possibly killing the great team chemistry that is already here. You would have to invest a lot of money in a player knowing there is a very good chance that it blows up in your face.

Jimmy Butler is a baller. However, I don't see him as a good long term fit for this team for a number of reasons

1. Chemistry. He has flamed out at two stops now. Has been under control in Philly but is that because its a contract year or has he truly found a place for himself
2. His age. He is older than any of the key players on the team. While its nice to have some vets, we should be looking for vets that are younger than Jimmy.
3. Minutes. This sort of ties into the 2nd point. Over his career Jimmy has played a LOT of minutes. In terms of minutes played, he is probably older than his real age which means that he is more likely to break down quicker than a lot of your average same aged players. We have seen how sharp the fall off has been for Noah, Gibson, Deng and a lot more of those other Thibs' Bulls.

Its a LOT of money to give up for a bloke who has a few question marks hanging over his head.