[Game] Kings @ Trailblazers - Wednesday, April 10 - 7:30PT/10:30ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
So once again.

If Fox tears his ACL 3 minutes into the 3rd quarter of this game, you're fine with that? Up 20+, playing the literal end of the Trailblazers bench? These minutes were so valuable to the core and our future that we should have risked injury to keep them in?
That's a lame analogy because you can pretty much say the same thing about every game. You might as well rest him and never play him at all in any game lollll.

So once again.

If Fox tears his ACL 3 minutes into the 3rd quarter of this game, you're fine with that? Up 20+, playing the literal end of the Trailblazers bench? These minutes were so valuable to the core and our future that we should have risked injury to keep them in?
If you are so afraid of injury over 12 more minutes of play, by your reasoning, Joeger should had sat all the core players right after they were eliminated from the playoffs.

It's almost as if Joerger had a mid season under the table side deal with Boston to tank our pick for them... hope it was worth his soul.

If you are so afraid of injury over 12 more minutes of play, by your reasoning, Joeger should had sat all the core players right after they were eliminated from the playoffs.
I honestly don't know why I respond to some of you.

I've already said that development matters in REAL GAMES AGAINST REAL COMPETITION for young teams like the Kings. Now, WILL SOMEONE ANSWER WHAT DO FOX/BUDDY/BARNES/WCS/BJELICA HAVE TO GAIN FROM PLAYING THE END OF PORTLANDS BENCH IN A 28 POINT BLOWOUT THAT WILL SOMEHOW MAKES THIS TEAM BETTER FOR THE FUTURE?

Who gives a crap if we get to 40 wins. Woohoo, we beat Skal Labs and Gary Trent Jr. I care about the important guys staying healthy, more than a game that more or less became a preseason game after half.

I'm legitimately curious about your opinion of Joerger. Most of the time you seem to support him but every once in a while after games like this you seem to put him on blast. Calling him a smug jerk isn't something I thought I'd hear out of you, tbh.
I love him - and I had his pic as my avatar for 3 years. And he has been a colossal disappointment the last month - I mean colossal. Over and over gain. spewing giant leads. not showing up. getting destroyed. dreadful last possessions over and over again. the team has been trash for over a month and he has fiddled while Rome burned.

I'm really just having a melt-down tantrum because it's like he's embarrassing me personally when we puts up a 20 point 4th quarter lead and just miraculously it disappears... Nets and tonight.

I'm just steaming though. In my heart I want him to get a 4 year contract. I would have said that full heartedly 3 hours ago. But he has embarrassed me.

So this is achieved beating the 8-13 guys on the depth chart for the Blazers? Get out of here with that nonsense. Yeah, Fox is really going to take his game through the roof next season because he played in a 28 pt blow-out against Gary Trent JR and Skal Lab.
Why did he play at all vs the pelicans without ad, Randle, holiday etc? All your arguments are flawed and I'm not the only one that sees it.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Doug is annoyed that a team that plays matador defense in the half court and relies on forcing turnovers and running NEVER show full court pressure even in times when defensive urgency seems like a complete no brainer. Doug has been setting the stage for the Kings to show full court in fourth quarters all year and Dave has left him hanging all year.

I think Grant just hit a breaking point. That was a collage of everything wrong with the Kings in 24 minutes. A crash course on how the Kings have managed to blow three second half leads of 25+ this season. This is my problem with the game as well. How even what is meaningless and somewhat lighthearted turned into a sleepwalk into utter humiliation and one last bludgeon to the head of things that annoy you about your favorite team.

Dave has done so much that Grant couldn’t shill for post ASG and Grant cared about getting 40 wins..he knows a lot of the fans cared. He came out thinking Dave didn’t. I’m pretty sure that pedestal is broken.
I'll tell you another thing. Before JJ was traded, Doug and Grant had an interview with him. Doug asked him whether he read the scouting report before the game and studied up on the tendencies of the guys he had to guard. JJ barely made mention of it. It was obviously not something he cared about and not something the coaches stressed. It just so happens that Christie has said in numerous other instances that studying the scouting report is very important for playing good defense. You can add that to Christie's list.

Koz and Kayte were also PO'd after the game. Not happy at all. Kayte alluded to Joerger's rotation and left it at that.

I've already said that development matters in REAL GAMES AGAINST REAL COMPETITION for young teams like the Kings. Now, WILL SOMEONE ANSWER WHAT DO FOX/BUDDY/BARNES/WCS/BJELICA HAVE TO GAIN FROM PLAYING THE END OF PORTLANDS BENCH IN A 28 POINT BLOWOUT THAT WILL SOMEHOW MAKES THIS TEAM BETTER FOR THE FUTURE?

Who gives a crap if we get to 40 wins. Woohoo, we beat Skal Labs and Gary Trent Jr. I care about the important guys staying healthy, more than a game that more or less became a preseason game after half.
Establishing a 40 win season is very big in my opinion. It was a goal of the team and Buddy said so himself.

If setting goals and not reaching them helps the team development, then I see your point.

But, I think it is important for the team to set goals and reach them. Not crumble in a big pile of mess and just blow it off as, eh, I didn’t want to get hurt. Learning to win takes setting goals and reaching or surpassing them. Not setting goals and pissing them away.

Exactly. Again I say, HOF players better and more important than anyone on this roster played under the same risk. Hell, these guys play in preseason games which don’t even count. But somehow this game — one that actually counts in the standings and in historical stat keeping — means less?

And this game had extra meaning in that it ensured the best record of the non-playoff games and would have meant 40 wins for a franchise that hasn’t hit 30 all that many times in its history. They had to know 40 wins meant something to the loyal fan base even if not to them.

But decreasing lottery odds for the draft pick they gave away — no matter how little — should have been enough of an incentive and benefit. Imagine how it’s going to be if those extra ping pong balls somehow turn into a jump up into the top 3. You just never know. People win the real lottery with odds of 1:292 million. It could happen. Making it harder would have been nice.

I agree.

This outrage is ****ing ridiculous. You want the Kings at 40 wins? Shouldn't have dropped 16 of their last 25 games then. Shouldn't have lost to the Pelicans x2, Lakers, Nets, Wizards, Kyrie-less Celtics, and T-Wolves then.

The players are more responsible for the loses than the coach. It's their crapty effort that's got us playing bad basketball after the ASB.

I'll tell you another thing. Before JJ was traded, Doug and Grant had an interview with him. Doug asked him whether he read the scouting report before the game and studied up on the tendencies of the guys he had to guard. JJ barely made mention of it. It was obviously not something he cared about and not something the coaches stressed. It just so happens that Christie has said in numerous other instances that studying the scouting report is very important for playing good defense. You can add that to Christie's list.

Koz and Kayte were also PO'd after the game. Not happy at all. Kayte alluded to Joerger's rotation and left it at that.
Coach Christie has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it? ;)

Establishing a 40 win season is very big in my opinion. It was a goal of the team and Buddy said so before.
It would have been big, totally correct. Especially with how the season started and carried on until the past couple weeks. A lot of fans were wanting it. And, again, the franchise had something else to gain from it with reduced lottery odds.

Jamal just doesn’t know what he doesn’t know. Crying about the injury card is just lame and hypocritical since he wasn’t crying about it once the KINGS were eliminated from playoff contention or during the preseason.

Not only that, nobody is saying the starters needed to play 48 minutes or even 30 minutes. But no more than 17? And did they have to play Swanigan and BJ for most the 4th?

There were ways to ensure a W tonight without overplaying key players against a team that played 6 players in total with several playing all 48. How about pressure defense and rotating your players more?

Just dumb.

There was this teaser I saw for Basketball Wives or whatever.. Doug came home and told Jackie "you're looking at the coach".

But then it turned out he wasn't the coach at all, and I don't know how all that really went down.

But if Doug Christie comes out of nowhere to be the Kings head coach next year, I'm all about it.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

As someone else said: Culture. Do you care about winning, or not? This is what fries me about Joerger. He admitted the Kings played lousy in 8 out of the last 9 games. So does he come out and try to win and remedy the downward trend? Nope. He comes out and purposefully screws this one up. Not his players. HIM. He orchestrated it. He played this game like a pee wee game. Everybody got a turn. He didn't care one whit whether Yogi had a guy 6" taller on him who was destroying him. Didn't care one whit about picking up in full court on the defensive end. What is the principle that every coach on the planet knows? The bench guys don't play well in away games. Joerger has said that himself. So what does Joerger do? He plays them for the entire second half. He could have just as easily given them a cameo appearance in the first half and played his starters some in the 2nd half, but no, not Joerger. You could see it coming from a mile away. A perfect recipe for a loss. I've got to hand it to him. He drew up that play perfectly.

So once again.

This is such a dumb argument everyone of these players will play dozens of games over the summer before training camp even starts.

I agree.

This outrage is ****ing ridiculous. You want the Kings at 40 wins? Shouldn't have dropped 16 of their last 25 games then. Shouldn't have lost to the Pelicans x2, Lakers, Nets, Wizards, Kyrie-less Celtics, and T-Wolves then.

The players are more responsible for the loses than the coach. It's their crapty effort that's got us playing bad basketball after the ASB.
No it was the coach’s refusal to go with the hot hand instead of his “match-ups”. It was a disastrous small ball line-up that couldn’t rebound, it was horrible ATO plays that rarely got an open look. It was shortening the rotation to 9 players by benching Beli when he knew his system required more rest.

All that was problematic but add to it poor relationships with the front office, marginal relationships with players (as seen in the Atlantic article). I know for a fact Dave had interest in the T-Wolves job.

This game was giving the middle finger to the organization and that act is inexcusable.

Establishing a 40 win season is very big in my opinion. It was a goal of the team and Buddy said so himself.

If setting goals and not reaching them helps the team development, then I see your point.

But, I think it is important for the team to set goals and reach them. Not crumble in a big pile of mess and just blow it off as, eh, I didn’t want to get hurt. Learning to win takes setting goals and reaching or surpassing them. Not setting goals and pissing them away.
Especially since winning 40 was like the ultimate “settle for” goal since the goals downgraded from

Playoffs!—-> a winning season!—->41-41?——-> 40 is pretty symbolic for this team——->what? You’re disappointed?? If I told you in August...

Not even hitting the second, third, and fourth consolation goals probably isn’t good for that winning development especially since the team never proved to themselves or the fans that they can get out of their own way after all those learning experiences.

Not discounting how excited i am about the foundational talent and it is true that if you told me in August that the Kings would win 39 games i would have taken it..but the post ASG performance from the team felt like a significant regression and didn’t feel like it had to be. It felt bungled and it was disappointing to say the least

As someone else said: Culture. Do you care about winning, or not? This is what fries me about Joerger. He admitted the Kings played lousy in 8 out of the last 9 games. So does he come out and try to win and remedy the downward trend? Nope. He comes out and purposefully screws this one up. Not his players. HIM. He orchestrated it. He played this game like a pee wee game. Everybody got a turn. He didn't care one whit whether Yogi had a guy 6" taller on him who was destroying him. Didn't care one whit about picking up in full court on the defensive end. What is the principle that every coach on the planet knows? The bench guys don't play well in away games. Joerger has said that himself. So what does Joerger do? He plays them for the entire second half. He could have just as easily given them a cameo appearance in the first half and played his starters some in the 2nd half, but no, not Joerger. You could see it coming from a mile away. A perfect recipe for a loss. I've got to hand it to him. He drew up that play perfectly.
Yep. The only one he has since the all-star break.

Sometimes it's not about the result but how you got there. For those actually looking at the game from a strategic and management perspective there is something there to chew on.

I finally found a positive to the second half of the game. We screwed over the Rockets!
And maybe the Warriors, facing the Rox in the 2nd round had to be a worst case scenario for them. I think finishing first and playing the Clippers then the Rockets are the two toughest matchups for them.

This is such a dumb argument everyone of these players will play dozens of games over the summer before training camp even starts.
Exactly right. It’s such a weak take.

While I will still point out how lots of HOF players played all or most of 82 including the meaningless games before the playoffs, I could at least understand this take IF the KINGS were headed to the postseason and this game didn’t factor into better seeding or a better matchup. Protecting players that will be playing in a couple days makes sense.

But all of these guys will be lacing them up for meaningless games countless time between now and next season — including SL and preseason, not too mention practices — so you can’t be worried about that. I get not playing 35 minutes, but c’mon now.

I mean, why not cancel all games between teams that gave been eliminated from playoff contention since they might get hurt? Ridiculous. Fans pay a lot of $$$ for these ‘official’ regular season games. These guys need to play. Not only that, this game wasn’t meaningless for Buddy Hield to break Lillard’s 3yr record, was it? And it wasn’t meaningless for KINGS fans who wanted to see 40 nor was it meaningless for a franchise that is desperately trying to reach respectability and could have reduced the potential impact of trading away a lottery draft pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.