KingsFans.com Free Agency Wish List: 1st Choice?

Among the big name FAs, who would be your 1st choice?

• Jimmy Butler - 30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kemba Walker - 29

• Khris Middleton - 28

• Klay Thompson - 29

• Kyrie Irving - 27

• Tobias Harris - 27

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If all Free Agents would sign with the Kings at market value, who would be your 1st choice?

Assumptions:
  • For unrestricted free agents, all free agents would sign with the Kings if we matched the best offer given to them in FA (similar to how restricted free agency works). This means that your 1st choice may not come down to the best player, but perhaps the player you think would have the most valuable contract.
  • For restricted free agents, consider how much we would have to pay to potentially lure them away
  • Barnes opts into his contract.
  • The decision around Cauley-Stein's FA is left up to you.

Please do not let the line of thinking "that's unrealistic" come into play when making your decision. Basketball executives still put a name down for #1, #2, #3, etc. on their draft board despite having the 10th pick. Let's make this a similar exercise.

Also, nominate a new free agent in a comment down below. The player who gets the most votes will replace the winner as a new option in the next poll.

Last edited:
Vucevic would be the home run signing, but it will be difficult to get him, even with a max offer. Now that Orlando is in the playoff hunt in the East, I think they will max him, which is more than any other team can offer.

I think that the Kings will make a play for Nikola Mirotic and/or Brook Lopez and will sign one of them to a multi- year contract to replace WCS.

With a starting caliber stretch 4 or 5 signed, Bagley will start the other frontcourt spot.

Vucevic would be the home run signing, but it will be difficult to get him, even with a max offer. Now that Orlando is in the playoff hunt in the East, I think they will max him, which is more than any other team can offer.

I think that the Kings will make a play for Nikola Mirotic and/or Brook Lopez and will sign one of them to a multi- year contract to replace WCS.

With a starting caliber stretch 4 or 5 signed, Bagley will start the other frontcourt spot.
Interesting.

You're saying if a guy like Durant or Leonard wanted to sign here, you would turn them down in favor of Vucevic?

I went back and forth myself, but I landed on Durant.

Leonard tempted me with him being 3 years younger, but the debacle in San Antonio and his recent injuries have me a little concerned. I also like his size & length as a better fit for our roster as he could play PF between Barnes & Bagley. A Leonard/Barnes SF/PF could handle that too but I think it may be a little more challenging in certain matchups.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'd go with Durant, Thompson, Middleton, Vucevic and Butler in that order. Randle would be high on my list too if he opts out of that second year to test Free Agency

Harris is the only one that I want.
Leonard and Durant is not realistic.
Vuk has played out of his mind this year. But, I have a feeling his increased production is due to a contract year. Especially, when I look at what’s he done prior to this season.
His body of work is not that great.
I love Randle too. But, I have a feeling that will relegate Giles to the bench or trade block.

Harris is the only one that I want.
Leonard and Durant is not realistic.
Vuk has played out of his mind this year. But, I have a feeling his increased production is due to a contract year. Especially, when I look at what’s he done prior to this season.
His body of work is not that great.
I love Randle too. But, I have a feeling that will relegate Giles to the bench or trade block.
That's not really the point of this thread.

The thread is to make our own free agent wish list. Similar to how executives make a draft board even if they have the #6 or #8 pick. They still write someone down at the #1, #2, #3, etc.

That's not really the point of this thread.

The thread is to make our own free agent wish list. Similar to how executives make a draft board even if they have the #6 or #8 pick. They still write someone down at the #1, #2, #3, etc.
Aint no one got time to bother reading the rules of the game :p

@ockingsfan, @Bosnian Diehard, @Crabwalk , & @Tobiou all selected Vucevic as #1 on their wish list. I'd like to hear your take on choosing Vucevic over guys like Durant & Leonard.

If all 3 of those guys wanted to sign with the Kings, why would you choose to sign Vucevic?

Again, this poll is not about what's the most realistic/likely scenario happening. It's about establishing a free agency wish list.

Last edited:
Interesting.

You're saying if a guy like Durant or Leonard wanted to sign here, you would turn them down in favor of Vucevic?
I was responding as which Free Agent could the Kings target and possibly get. Durant would be the #1 talent of course, but I think there is zero chance he signs with the Kings.

Vucevic looks to be the only one that the Kings may have an outside chance of signing.

Also, as far as roster construction with the players the Kings currently have under contract, I think Vucevic would be the best fit of all the high end free agents.

I was responding as which Free Agent could the Kings target and possibly get. Durant would be the #1 talent of course, but I think there is zero chance he signs with the Kings.

Vucevic looks to be the only one that the Kings may have an outside chance of signing.

Also, as far as roster construction with the players the Kings currently have under contract, I think Vucevic would be the best fit of all the high end free agents.
Right, okay so that’s not what the poll is asking. It’s asking if you had your pick, which player are you choosing. It sounds like your answer would in fact be someone other than Vucevic.

I think most people know and would agree that there’s a higher chance at signing Vucevic vs. Durant. The poll is here to decide the rank order of KingsFans.com’s free agency wish list. Not which player on that list is more realistic than the next.

Last edited:
Toss up between Durant and Leonard. Maybe edge to Leonard on defense and age, although I’d want to know why Toronto still rests him so often.
Yeah that concerns me as well. He seems like the guy that would walk away from the game early but that may just be me misinterpreting his quiet assassin demeanor.

In regards to Durant, he’s no slouch defensively either.

Question to twslam: Did you really mean for this poll to close in May?
It was a mistake on my side when creating the poll. I tried to edit it, but it doesn't allow me to change that after the fact.

I was going to change it to a 48 hour poll so I can open up the "Among the big name FAs, who would be your 2nd choice?" poll next and remove the winner of this poll from the list of options.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It was a mistake on my side when creating the poll. I tried to edit it, but it doesn't allow me to change that after the fact.

I was going to change it to a 48 hour poll so I can open up the "Among the big name FAs, who would be your 2nd choice?" poll next and remove the winner of this poll from the list of options.
Fixed! I gave it two days from today.

Hint: You may have been able to edit it yourself. The trick on that one appears to be that you first have to edit the poll to have no close date, save it, then edit it again to add a different close date. A bit inefficient, but it works.

I chose Durant because the question was who would YOU choose and not what's realistic ;)
I think there might be a bit of failure of reading comprehension.
1. OP asks who you would choose
2. You chose Durant.
3. I said either Durant or kawhi. Adding why would you choose anyone else?
4. You quoted me and said like bron, they wouldn’t go to a small market???
5. I said YOU chose Durant. (Like me) In the OP scenario they go to your team no matter what. So why would he go to your team but if I choose Durant he wouldn’t go to a small market team like lebron???
6. You repost the rules, not answering my question.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think there might be a bit of failure of reading comprehension.
1. OP asks who you would choose
2. You chose Durant.
3. I said either Durant or kawhi. Adding why would you choose anyone else?
4. You quoted me and said like bron, they wouldn’t go to a small market???
5. I said YOU chose Durant. (Like me) In the OP scenario they go to your team no matter what. So why would he go to your team but if I choose Durant he wouldn’t go to a small market team like lebron???
6. You repost the rules, not answering my question.
I'd imagine the post is hypothetical and not realistic and with that, majority of the Kings fans would choose Durant. You are making way too much of one sentence I said.

I'd imagine the post is hypothetical and not realistic and with that, majority of the Kings fans would choose Durant. You are making way too much of one sentence I said.
I just didn’t understand why you quoted me and argued my answer when I basically gave the same answer as you. Maybe you accidentally quoted me and your post had nothing to do with it. Either way we agree Durant is too of the list

I’d probably go with kawhi. Durant is more talented I think, but he is a coattailer. That is his personality. I don’t want to being that here.

I chose Kawhi but really he and Durant are 1 and 1A depending on want you want. Kawhi is a little better defender IMO and Durant is the better scorer IMO. Anyone on that list improves the Kings IMO.

As the poll is coming to a close soon, I will be opening the 2nd version of this thread soon to ask who is the 2nd free agency choice for KingsFans.com. Any nominations for who should be the 10th player on the list? I’m thinking Julius Randle but let me know.