The Road to catching the Spurs

To compete for the 8th seed we need to win continuously and really hit our stride. For me a few things need to happen to enable us to be placed to do so:

- Bagley - needs to return to his pre injury production - he has an amazing motor and can absolutely inspire a playoff run
- Bogi - to return to the bench and lead our second unit - personal opinion for me, may be wishful thinking
- Nemanja - to continue his resent upswing in production. Ideally he is reinstated at starting PF for me allowing Barnes to return to SF and Bogi to the bench. It is no fluke that we play best when Nemanja is playing well and we must leverage his play if we are to make a run at the playoff seeds
- Giles - to continue his strong play this month

I agree with playing some of our new guys but really I also want Giles and Bagley going into the off season healthy so they can get stronger and progress with their learning.

I also want that pick we gave away to stay in the 13 or 14 range and do not want that pick to slide into a top 10 pick.

I'm starting to feel like we'll never see Swanigan in a Kings uni. Even after the Bagley injury and against opponents where we could've used a strong banger in the paint, we still never saw him at all.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm starting to feel like we'll never see Swanigan in a Kings uni. Even after the Bagley injury and against opponents where we could've used a strong banger in the paint, we still never saw him at all.
Well, first thing, we've got Swanigan for at least next year and potentially two more years if we pick up his fourth-year option. "Never" is a long time when you're talking about a developing youngster. Second, even though we stumbled in the hardest part of our schedule, we've still got this stretch coming up where we can go on a serious run. It's not *impossible* for us to catch somebody up if we get hot. Our schedule is easy enough that you could squint and see us knock off the next seven straight. Then, beat San Antonio and get the home game against Houston and we're 9-1 in that stretch and up to 42 wins. If any of three teams (Spurs, Clippers, Jazz) go say 3-7 in that stretch we've got a real race on our hands. It's probably not going to happen, but you can squint and see it. And if Swanigan is not really ready (I assume he's not) then you don't play him while you can still squint and see the finish line. If we go 4-3 in our next 7 and see say 5-2s and 6-1s from the teams ahead of us, yeah, time to throw in the towel and see Swanigan for 7 games. But not just yet.

The Spurs won again and on a 8 game winning streak. McCollum was hurt during the game and probably the reason why Portland lost the game. Just couldn't catch a break. :/

Were taking about a D Lesgue Guy? Really? Kings need to develop Giles, Bagley and Fox.

Sorry, but I am apathetic about signing an extension on a guy who really is nothing more than a D leaguer.

Portland will still win 50 with their remaining schedule. I Love CJ though. Great player and person.

The Spurs won again and on a 8 game winning streak. McCollum was hurt during the game and probably the reason why Portland lost the game. Just couldn't catch a break. :/
I know injuries are part of the game and never wish them on players but man the timing... Just off the top of my head recently. KAT returns from concussion protocol for our game. Joel embiid comes back a couple games before ours. Gordon Hayward, who hit a game winner, strains his neck after we play the celts. Brogdon who hit the tying shot against us is out now til the playoffs. I also believe Zach lavine was sidelined a couple games but is back now. Those injuries might not have made the difference but when every win counts, it would be nice to get a little help.

9 and counting for those Spurs....that roster is so sub par, no clue how they have a 9 game winning streak. All hail the great Pop.

No Clue? Aldridge and Derozen are better than any player on the Kings. Those 2 are perennial All Stars. Besides that, Pop has groomed players like White and Forbes to succeed. Bellineli and Gay are having a solid year, as well. Yes, Pop is a master. But, it’s not like he has the Knicks roster.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
No Clue? Aldridge and Derozen are better than any player on the Kings. Those 2 are perennial All Stars. Besides that, Pop has groomed players like White and Forbes to succeed. Bellineli and Gay are having a solid year, as well. Yes, Pop is a master. But, it’s not like he has the Knicks roster.
Aldridge and DeRozan scare no one, they put up good numbers from time to time but they aren't players that help their teams win when it matters, Playoffs. White, Forbes, Bertans & Belinelli wouldn't be this good on any other roster.

The Kings really could use the playoff experience, this season. However they've used up all their cushion of losses too early. Too many losses down the stretch -many close losses - but they cant go 3-7 when teams ahead have a 3 or 4 game lead already. Its doomed them. Unfortunately, I'm not sure they will improve next season appreciably either. I hope they do, but this deflating at the end of the season does not instill confidence. They are semi-competitive, but appear to not know how to win close games against good teams aside from maybe the Thunder. FTs and FT differential were a big problem coming into the year, and remain a big problem - a failure for both coaching and the players to address adequately. Out of everything, aside from maybe the recent wilting to dash the playoffs, FTs is the largest disappointment - indicating a lack of focus. So, am I happy about the improvement? Yes, but am not unconcerned about it either going into next season. They will probably take a chance on Cauley-Stein in the offseason., but he especially must improve FTs. Expectations will need to be tempered I think with this finish.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Kings really could use the playoff experience, this season. However they've used up all their cushion of losses too early. Too many losses down the stretch -many close losses - but they cant go 3-7 when teams ahead have a 3 or 4 game lead already. Its doomed them. Unfortunately, I'm not sure they will improve next season appreciably either. I hope they do, but this deflating at the end of the season does not instill confidence. They are semi-competitive, but appear to not know how to win close games against good teams aside from maybe the Thunder. FTs and FT differential were a big problem coming into the year, and remain a big problem - a failure for both coaching and the players to address adequately. Out of everything, aside from maybe the recent wilting to dash the playoffs, FTs is the largest disappointment - indicating a lack of focus. So, am I happy about the improvement? Yes, but am not unconcerned about it either going into next season. They will probably take a chance on Cauley-Stein in the offseason., but he especially must improve FTs. Expectations will need to be tempered I think with this finish.
Wow. I guess I've been watching a different team.

I thought I was the Party Pooper.

Kings making the next leap will really depend on Fox and Bagley’s growth next year.

Can Fox become the next Lillard, Paul, etc?.
He will need to take another big jump in his game.

Bagley: I expect him to be 20-10 next year without a doubt. His passing and shooting need tons of work and he has the work ethic.

Free Agents: Sac’s name will be mentioned with 80 percent of the names out there.
Like always. Sac is not on anyone’s Top Of the List.

For the Kings to really start attracting top free agents, Fox and Bagley need to turn into All Stars. Both have a chance to elevate next year.
We’ll see.

No Clue? Aldridge and Derozen are better than any player on the Kings.
Not for long, if at all.

Aldridge and DeRozan are surely more developed and mature, as you would imagine. But they are 33 and 29 respectively. Their best days are surely behind them.

DeRozan is one of the most overrated 'all-stars' in the league. He plays almost exclusively inside the 3 point line and hasn't ever lifted a team to new heights. In short, he's the epitome of a regular season player. That's precisely why Toronto was willing to move him for a player they aren't sure they'll be able to keep.

Aldridge is an upper-tier BIG but is primarily a one-dimensional scorer. He doesn't really stretch the floor (out to the 3 pt line) and has never been more than an average rebounder (7-8 per game).

Neither have been known to be stellar defenders. They are good team defenders in Pop's system (as is everyone) but that's more a product of the culture Pop and his staff have built. Heck, even Rudy Gay is playing defense in SA.

Beyond this season, I doubt you'd find many GM's that would take DeRozan, Aldridge and White over Fox, Bagley and Buddy. The Spurs are closing in on the decline. It looked like it might be happening this season and then they've suddenly got hot. But let's not forget that this is the same team that lost to the Knicks and was struggling mightily not that long ago. They're a lock for the postseason now, but odds are they'll be 1 and done just like they were last season. Best case is probably no further than the 2nd round.

Great, they are better than the KINGS this season. But saying that those 2 players are better than any player on SAC is short-sighted. The KINGS are surely more talented, just a tad raw. But that development is happening rapidly. The way Bagley has been looking at 19 and now barely 20, I think it's possible he's better than both those players by this time next season. If Fox makes another jump next season, he will be too. Buddy doesn't have the all-star popularity contest appearances that DeRoazn has, but he's put up a comparable season sans the playmaking. But he's clearly the better all-around shooter already.

My hat is off to both the Spurs and the Clippers. They both stepped up when it was winning time. I'm pretty glad that they will probably make it so that our sputters against Wolves and Wizards won't turn out to be the difference between 8 seed and lotto - does not look like 45 wins would have even gotten it done. We just weren't quite there yet in the West.
Yes both have done very well. Veteran heavy, well coached teams.

Spurs in particular have blazed the trail i hoped we would. Securing 8th and then pushing on, to the 5th and 6th seed. Props to them.

The key statistic here is that it is indeed looking as though 45 wins will get eclipsed for the 8th seed. That is ridiculous and shows the strength on the conference.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It's a great season. Being human, we want more, more, more. Guaranteed if the Kings made the playoffs with the 8th seed there would be people wishing the Kings could have gotten the 6th or 7th seed (I probably would). That's just human nature. I'm just thankful to all get-out that the Kings have Fox, Bagley, Giles and Buddy to build on going forward. Buddy, the "old man" of the group is 26 years old and is just starting to enter his prime. In the olden days the remaining three should still be in college. Those are four great building blocks.

If you have to lose out to teams for the playoff, it's no disgrace to lose to three very well coached and managed organizations - Spurs, Clipps, and Jazz. I just thank God it wasn't the freaking Lakers that was the team that beat out the Kings.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Weird it all fell apart after the trades.
Well, since Barnes started playing we *are* 6-9, but at the same time we're +18 points overall, it's just that we lost four of those games by a total of 7 points - and those were Denver, GS, Milwaukee, and Boston! We had to face 9 playoff teams, most of those top playoff teams. On top of that, the two teams we were chasing have gone on absolute tears, with the Spurs winning their last 9 in a row and the Clippers winning 10 of their last 13.

Since the trade we've had a tougher schedule yet better +/- results than we did prior to it. We just lost some tough games while the teams we were trying to chase down went crazy. With our remaining schedule it's more likely than not that we'll meet or beat .500. It's not that things have fallen apart, it's that we got smacked around by the schedule and bad luck simultaneously.

Well, since Barnes started playing we *are* 6-9, but at the same time we're +18 points overall, it's just that we lost four of those games by a total of 7 points - and those were Denver, GS, Milwaukee, and Boston! We had to face 9 playoff teams, most of those top playoff teams. On top of that, the two teams we were chasing have gone on absolute tears, with the Spurs winning their last 9 in a row and the Clippers winning 10 of their last 13.

Since the trade we've had a tougher schedule yet better +/- results than we did prior to it. We just lost some tough games while the teams we were trying to chase down went crazy. With our remaining schedule it's more likely than not that we'll meet or beat .500. It's not that things have fallen apart, it's that we got smacked around by the schedule and bad luck simultaneously.
Most of the above was done while missing a key reserve, who also happens to be one of the future faces of the franchise.

It's a great season. Being human, we want more, more, more. Guaranteed if the Kings made the playoffs with the 8th seed there would be people wishing the Kings could have gotten the 6th or 7th seed (I probably would). That's just human nature. I'm just thankful to all get-out that the Kings have Fox, Bagley, Giles and Buddy to build on going forward. Buddy, the "old man" of the group is 26 years old and is just starting to enter his prime. In the olden days the remaining three should still be in college. Those are four great building blocks.

If you have to lose out to teams for the playoff, it's no disgrace to lose to three very well coached and managed organizations - Spurs, Clipps, and Jazz. I just thank God it wasn't the freaking Lakers that was the team that beat out the Kings.

It really has been a great season and the start of good things to come. The real challenge as fans will come next year when we all expect to make the playoffs. The only 2 teams in the top 8 that will be vulnerable next year imo are the Spurs (old age) and the Clips (unless they land Kawhi) The Lakers are likely to be in the mix as well assuming they land a big fish. We are really going to have to grind to make it next year.