What should and what will the Kings do?

Ok do we stand pat at the trade deadline Or do we make a deal?

I believe we are in a interesting phase of rebuilding our team and we just may have some choices to make. Some of our past adventures or misadventures the league didn’t think much of us and we got the raw end of the deal a lot of times.

We find our self in a position we have not been in for a very long time. We actually have players we flat are not going to send any place and other teams would love to have plus cap space with very good expiring contracts also. The league must be envious of our position.

Vlade is getting wiser and looking forward to see what he does.
Could or should he stand with the players we have or maybe someone in the next couple of days will trade us somebody that would help for nothing more than a expiring and some cap space thrown in or even use some of those 2nd rounders we have.

What about the buyouts after the deadline ends could we pickup a player or two that way.

Do we wait till July and try to sign a big free agent? I actually think Vlade just may try do do some of all of the above.

Interesting days for the team and us.

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
Ok do we stand pat at the trade deadline Or do we make a deal?

I believe we are in a interesting phase of rebuilding our team and we just may have some choices to make. Some of our past adventures or misadventures the league didn’t think much of us and we got the raw end of the deal a lot of times.

We find our self in a position we have not been in for a very long time. We actually have players we flat are not going to send any place and other teams would love to have plus cap space with very good expiring contracts also. The league must be envious of our position.

Vlade is getting wiser and looking forward to see what he does.
Could or should he stand with the players we have or maybe someone in the next couple of days will trade us somebody that would help for nothing more than a expiring and some cap space thrown in or even use some of those 2nd rounders we have.

What about the buyouts after the deadline ends could we pickup a player or two that way.

Do we wait till July and try to sign a big free agent? I actually think Vlade just may try do do some of all of the above.

Interesting days for the team and us.
I don't think we'll stand pat but I don't think we'll do anything rash either. The only young player I can see us possibly moving is WCS but it would only be if we get a major impact player back.

Otherwise I think we head into next season with the second most cap space in the league (behind NYK) and try to sell a top SF target that he is the guy that puts us over the top.

Maybe we trade some space for a draft pick and a chance to be sellers next season, although if we can't make an impactful move with what we have right now that strategy is questionable.

I think we should make a move for a starting SF that doesn't include our core young players, but instead offer a salary dump to the opposing team. However, I think Justin Jackson and 2nd round picks should be on the table. I'm not high on JJ but I think he has some value for random teams out there who think he can be Trevor Ariza 2.0. I've seen way too much inconsistency that I'm fine getting off his roller coaster ride.

If we can't get a starting SF, I think we should try to take on whatever bad contract is out there for a 1st round pick.

I'd also target a backup PG.

Kings are in a good but not ideal trade situation. Cap space is a huge bonus. Not wanting to part with any of their youth or picks is a detriment.

At the very least, I think the Kings will be part of a three team trade for Wes Matthews, his salary is 18M (expiring) and a number of teams are interested. Kings can get a pick and/or a vet to finish the season.

to Knicks --> 11m capspace, Skal
to team X --> Matthews
to Kings --> late 1st pick from X, SF vet in the 7-8 million range

Kings could always take on Matthews as well for the rest of the season by trading 11m cap, Randolph expiring, but not sure Knicks will take Skal in that situation or even a 2nd rounder or two.

Larger scale - Kings will be offering cap relief as a main trade piece so maybe the a team like the Wiz will cave. I'm not high on Barnes and would prefer Porter, but I don't think either of those will get done.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If the Kings err, I'd rather them err because they think they have more leverage than they really do rather than less leverage than they really do. Make a good deal or don't make one at all.

I don't think we're going to make any moves, but that's just what I think, not what I want.

I would prefer to make a fair trade to pick up a quality young SF that can develop with the team moving forward. Not particularly interested in someone who's an older "win now" type of player. I want to win of course, but this season is mostly about improvement, not serious contention.

The future is bright as is. I don't think that's really debateable, but we still need to add pieces to really push the team to the next level, and without a 1st round pick this year I'm not sure how we're going to do that unless we make a trade or sign a FA in the offseason.

Don't do anything that hurts the future of the team or impedes the growth of the young core. That means don't trade for Kanter/Jordan or any other big man who will take away minutes from Bagley and Giles. If you can get a good young SF like Porter that plays within himself and the team for Skal/Jackson (and maybe WCS) then by all means do it. I would not trade for bigger name SF's that take too many shots. I'm not even sure I'd trade Willie at this point if they think they can sign him to a reasonable deal. Willie has actually played really well over the last month. I still don't trust him but if he keeps playing like this he is worth keeping.

Making the playoffs would be great this year but it's not worth hurting the future of the team just to make the 8th seed and get smoked by the Warriors. Must think long term big picture. I think Vlade understands that or at least I hope he does.

Way too many GM's that have fringe playoff teams sacrifice their future by trading off young assets just to win a few more games right now.

Yea long term is key. I feel like the entire NBA is essentially just waiting for the Warriors to either get old or lose players to FA so that their legitimately impossible to beat team finally crumbles. Nobody else is winning that title until their run ends.

Making the playoffs would be great this year but it's not worth hurting the future of the team just to make the 8th seed and get smoked by the Warriors. Must think long term big picture. I think Vlade understands that or at least I hope he does.
Yeah, but one could imagine Vivek is frothing at the mouth for a couple playoff games. I could see him being tempted but not Vlade. Guess one silver lining is if Kings do make a trade in the next few days, make the playoffs and play decent against the Warriors (in theory) then they might spike some FA interest this summer. Lots of IF'S...

I would try to trade any expiring (Ben, Kosta, zbo), Skal, or Frank for any player resembling a rotation 3. I’d trade Jackson too, or 2nd round picks. I’m off the trade Willie train since the Kings can match and I don’t think any teams will sign him to a crazy deal.

Kings are actually a pretty solid buyout team so I’m kinda thinking they will be able to pick someone up that way, but maybe that’s just hoping.

Pretty sure the Kings can use their cap space to offer a buyout player (like Mathews, Jordan) more $ than any other team in the league? Just for the remainder of the season, of course.
Rumors say Knicks are looking to trade Matthews, not buy him out. Apparently they may also be content holding onto Jordan.

Knicks would do a deal if the Kings take back more in salary and/or another player off their payroll for next season, so they can go whole hog in FA.

If Kings offered Zach 11.6M + Kosta 8.7M + Ben 5.4M + 11m in cap space = approx $37M ceiling
Knicks could send Matthews or Jordan (19M or 23M) + Mudiay 2y/10M and/or Lance Thomas 2y/15M.

Of course you could substitute Kanter for Matthews or Jordan, but my bet is the Kings would prefer either Matthews or Jordan over Kanter.

Pretty much not giving up much by the Kings to make a playoff push other than taking on 12M or so in salary next season, which they have heaps of cap space.

...or add Shump to the above.

Matthews + Jordan + either Mudiay or Lance Thomas works cap wise.

Not a bad rental for 30 games, let's say it's Mudiay.

Fox - Mudiay - Yogi
Hield - Bogi - Matthews
Matthews - Bogi - JJ
Bjelica - Bagley - Giles
WCS - Jordan - Giles

We'd be dumbasses to not make a move. Cap space, expirings lots of seconds. Should be a way to get a future pick, or a player we want here next season over others who would just leave or we don't want long term.

Good chance what we do isn't worth much, but better than standing pat.

We'd be dumbasses to not make a move. Cap space, expirings lots of seconds. Should be a way to get a future pick, or a player we want here next season over others who would just leave or we don't want long term.

Good chance what we do isn't worth much, but better than standing pat.
Absolutely zero reasons to stand pat. Unless the 11m in cap space wants to stay in Vivek's wallet.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Yea, at least trade the expirings for something. 2nd round picks...whatever. Either do something to gain asset(s), even if it's not much, or do nothing and get nothing.
nobody is able to absorb our expirings for picks. to get rid of our expirings we would have to take on at least a 2 year contract to actually get an additional asset. for instance trade Randolph for Mahinmi and try to get a 2nd rounder from washington. we get a pick but we are also on the line for 16 million to mahinmi next year. its the reason Porter jr and Barnes have been talked about so much. both contracts are over 20 mil and those teams aren't going anywhere. The both have a chance to make a splash in FA this year but would have to shed salary of somebody. Barnes and Porter are the expendables if they get a chance to get a major player in FA

Entity

Hall of Famer
I didn't even know Mahinmi was still in the league. I sometimes forget the Wizards even exist.
yeah thats why you see Porters name brought up so much. we could take mahinimi and Porter freeing up over 35 mil for them this offseason. They could go after cousins and have Beal, Wall, Cousins and still have room. Problem is we don't have a draft pick to offer and the only players we are willing to give up are WCS, Skal, Ben, Shump, Kosta, Randolph, and Mason. The only one on that list considered an Asset is WCS and his is expiring so to keep him they would have to add additional salary next year for that. Maybe Shump would be an asset. All depends on how big of a splash they want this offseason or if they think standing pat with Porter will make gains next season.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Now Barnes is another story. Barnes really playing PF for the and now they got kristaps who plays pf. Dallas likes palyers like WCS at Center. Doncic plays SF. So they may be stuck bringing a 25 mil dollar player off the bench next year in Barnes. We could offer up some expirings and WCS for Barnes and they are then freeing up some money to make a splash in free agency themselves.

WCS has always been about the money or contract. If we can keep him at reasonable money without him feeling insulted and holding a grudge then I'd not trade him.

Absolutely zero reasons to stand pat. Unless the 11m in cap space wants to stay in Vivek's wallet.
Actually, there's a number of reasons to stand pat. The Kings are in an enviable position, for a change. They have lots of young, interesting, dynamic talent on cost-controlled rookie deals and they have a clean cap sheet with space they can utilize in a variety of ways. Yet despite their youth, the team is way ahead-of-schedule in the win/loss column. If a trade materializes before Thursday that improves the team, then Vlade should pull the trigger. But if there is no trade that moves the needle in a meaningful way, then the Kings are likely better off being patient.

A team like the Lakers must win now. Neither Lebron James nor Father Time will wait. Their window is short. The Kings are winning already, but they have years ahead of them to build on whatever success they manage to achieve by the end of this season. Internal development alone is going to improve this young squad, and that should be a comfort to both the front office and to the fans should the trade deadline come and go without a noteworthy deal in Sacramento. Yes, the team's ability to rent out their cap space is an asset, but it shouldn't be used "just because."

I don't like the Harrison Barnes option. The Porter option doesn't seem to be there. I do like TRoss, but depends on what it costs.

I think one of the better options may be clearing a roster space with a trade for any sort of pick compensation, then picking up one of the buyout players. (Which may end up being Enas Kanter anyways.)

3rd team lakers pelicans ad Solomon 38 mil ball Kuzma Ingram rondo lance Beasley only 33 mil we take Solomon hill give Skal cap space

I don't like the Harrison Barnes option. The Porter option doesn't seem to be there. I do like TRoss, but depends on what it costs.

I think one of the better options may be clearing a roster space with a trade for any sort of pick compensation, then picking up one of the buyout players. (Which may end up being Enas Kanter anyways.)
I think when assessing players there needs to be a bit more analysis than just how is the player performing on his current team. To me Barnes is an interesting option in a sense that he has been asked to lead the way or to be more aggressive as a scorer in his time at the Mavs. I don't think he is a option 1 or even 2 on a good team but he is on Mavs due to necessity.

The question we need to ask is what would Barnes be like as a 3rd or even 4th option on a good team and how efficient he would be in that role. Of course then you say but do you pay option 3 or 4 some $25 million a season and the answer is no. However, for the next couple of years, the salary to us does not really matter. Its more about getting an asset and how that asset would fit with what you consider to be your core.

I am intrigued by Barnes for a particular role with us. In time I don't think he will be a top 3 option offensively on this team (in fact I am not sure he would be a top 3 option even now). If we are getting a slightly better version of Barnes from the Golden State days, then I am more than happy to sign up for that. Sure its a steep price to pay in terms of salary but you are getting an asset that would fit really well. He would not be as great a fit for the team as Porter but he would be a pretty good pick up for us. He is a 3/4 that would address the need and would certainly be a right age profile for the team. He also bring championship experience from his Golden State days. He would be the best option we would have at SF.

Now if we can get Barnes and Lin, all of a sudden that play off push becomes a lot more realistic without actually sacrificing the long term future of the team. Its the sort of smart move I would be looking to make unless I have a confirmation that I will be getting a big name (or a semi big name) SF via free agency. If you can convince me that Khris Middelton will sign with the Kings in the off-season, I am not taking on Barnes. We have never been a big free agent attraction and I don't think that will change any time soon. That means you have to draft and trade in players if you want to be relevant.