What Deal Would You Make for Otto Porter?

What deal(s) would you make in exchange for Otto Porter at the trade deadline?

• Expirings

• Expirings & Cauley-Stein

• Expirings & Labissiere

• Expirings & Jackson

• Expirings, Cauley-Stein, & Labissiere

• Expirings, Cauley-Stein, & Jackson

• Expirings, Labissiere, & Jackson

• Expirings, Cauley-Stein, Labissiere, & Jackson

• Other

• None

Results are only viewable after voting.
I turned on the Wizards - Pacers game to kill some time before ours began. About 15 seconds later, Otto left with an injury and won't return. I'm sorry.

No, that's your interpretation of my perception of the argument. My use of "going forward" didn't mean just after this year. I strongly suspect if a good deal comes along, Koufos just might go to a team that needs to shore up their big man position for a deep run in the playoffs. Thus, if we trade Koufos, your argument becomes kind of irrelevant since I think we both agree that we couldn't lose both WCS and KK and expect to be playing after mid-April.
Nowhere in this hypothetical have we discussed Koufos being sent out in another trade. You’re making that assumption.

I had high hopes for Willie this season but guess I will add him to the list if it meant landing Porter.
I'm in the hot desert sun fighting off flys and miss the Kings games so go by clips and opinions on this board. Sounds like nobodys to high on Willie especially after games like today where both Marvin and Harry shined.

I selected WCS and expirings, but honestly at this point I just want a trade of any kind. I want us to do SOMETHING. We need a SF, Otto or someone else. Let's get it done at a reasonable cost.

Bleacher report says Portland is interested in Porter and willing to throw in their 1st along with a young player like Harkless or Zach Collins. Granted they have a decent record so that wouldnt be a high pick but Porter is seeming less likely IMO.

I'm getting more concerned as to what Vlade can pull off in the next few days, seems the best assit anyone is wiling to give up is WCS and expirings which I dont know has much value.

Last edited:
Bleacher report says Portland is interested in Porter and willing to throw in their 1st along with a young player like Harkless or Zach Collins. Granted they have a decent record so that wouldnt be a high pick but Porter is seeming less likely IMO.

I'm getting more concerned as to what Vlade can pull off in the next few days, seems the best assit anyone is wiling to give up is WCS and expirings which I dont know has much value.
To the Wizards it should hold tremendous value. They are going no where, 2.5 games back of the 8th seed, however they have one of the highest payrolls in the league. So high, and I am guessing a little on the numbers here, that they will be paying over 140 million if they don't get under the luxury tax. Around 11 million dollars of tax on top of all the bloated salaries, just flushed down the drain for a team that might not even make the playoffs.

This is what is so confusing to some of us regarding why Ted Leonsis ( Wiz owner) seems hesitant to deal. Please refer to @Capt. Factorial 's post above for a visual representation.

To the Wizards it should hold tremendous value. They are going no where, 2.5 games back of the 8th seed, however they have one of the highest payrolls in the league. So high, and I am guessing a little on the numbers here, that they will be paying over 140 million if they don't get under the luxury tax. Around 11 million dollars of tax on top of all the bloated salaries, just flushed down the drain for a team that might not even make the playoffs.

This is what is so confusing to some of us regarding why Ted Leonsis ( Wiz owner) seems hesitant to deal. Please refer to @Capt. Factorial 's post above for a visual representation.
Good points. Without looking it up I'm unaware if Portland has the expirings to offer up helping them get under the cap.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Good points. Without looking it up I'm unaware if Portland has the expirings to offer up helping them get under the cap.
They don't. Not even close. Portland, like Washington, is over the tax. They would have to send out at least $20.73M to bring in Porter and then pay massive luxury tax on him. The way I see it, the only way that Portland has a chance to do this would be sending Harkless/Leonard/1st for Porter - but that would only save Washington about $11M total, and Washington would still have to pay about $8M on Porter's trade kicker. So I don't see how Washington wins on that deal.

I mean, I guess Portland could go with Harkless (not expiring)/Aminu/Curry/Baldwin/1st which would add another $11M or so to Washington's cap relief next year, but that would push the Blazers to $142M for next with three roster spots to fill. Portland doesn't make much sense to me.

To me, the bottom line is that as best as I can tell, the Kings are the only team that can give Washington serious cap relief - there's a way for us to take on both Porter AND Mahinmi, and it wouldn't really hurt us for next year since we're stacked with young guys and have $37M in expiring contracts. We'd probably demand a bit more out of that - at least a pick - but if Leonsis actually cares about getting under the tax, we're the team to help them do it. If they don't want to, hey, it's their money.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Totally agree about Giles. I'll go one step further: He will never be a starting center for the Kings. He obviously doesn't have the build for it. He could spend the next seven years getting stronger and he's still not a center. He's a 4 or a 3 or a hybrid of the two.

IMO, Bagley can guard AD and Towns and the Greek Freak better than WCS right now, and he's no worse at guarding those other physical guys than WCS. Of course, as we've seen, that's not saying much. Moreover, Bagley can put more offensive pressure on those guys to guard him. WCS can't. WCS has regressed on offense. He's not getting better. He's gotten worse on offense. He used to be able to hit a mid range shot. Now it's the luck of the draw. He can't consistently post up. He can't shoot a mid range shot. He's a one-trick alley-oop pony. It's not even arguable that Bagley is better than WCS on offense. It's indisputable. So if you have a draw or near-draw on the defensive end and undisputed superiority on the offensive end, who are you going to pick?

The only way I see WCS being an asset for the Kings going forward is as a role-player coming off the bench. And that means he gets paid accordingly. Then the Kings can add another center who is a bruiser to compliment the non-bruising non physical but speedy WCS. Then you could have the bruiser guard the Adams' and Harrell's of the NBA and WCS could guard the not so physical ADs and Towns when need be. It's not the perfect solution, that's for sure, but it would be better than what we see now, which is tantamount to watching a big truck crash into a "piece of car" at Cal Expo . The other alternative is to just get a center who has some physicallity to his game, but who is not going to compete with WCS in finishing on the break; get someone who starts the break, not finish the break.

I continue to believe that it's more likely WCS will not be with this team at the beginning of next season than with it.
Willie by the way has the best defensive rating of anyone on the team. Yes, he does struggle at times against the AD's of the world, but you tell me who doesn't struggle against them. The best you can ask of any center is that he make players like AD work for their shot. Your not going to stop them. There's a reason they're superstars. I won't even bore you with Bagley's defensive rating. I do think Bagley will be a very good defender in time, but right now, he gets lost on switches, or doesn't switch at all. He's late with help defense at times. None of that is unusual for a rookie player.

Willie is a terrific help defender, and if there's a fault, it's that sometimes he tries to help too much and gets caught out of position. As to why he no longer takes that mid-range jumper, your guess is as good as mine. But then I hear people on this forum complaining about Willie taking shots. Then I go look at the box score and see he was almost a black hole with his 5 shot attempts a game.

All that said, you could be right about Willie not being with the team next season. I do think the Kings like Willie, but they don't like him enough to give him a huge salary. We will see...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
They don't. Not even close. Portland, like Washington, is over the tax. They would have to send out at least $20.73M to bring in Porter and then pay massive luxury tax on him. The way I see it, the only way that Portland has a chance to do this would be sending Harkless/Leonard/1st for Porter - but that would only save Washington about $11M total, and Washington would still have to pay about $8M on Porter's trade kicker. So I don't see how Washington wins on that deal.

I mean, I guess Portland could go with Harkless (not expiring)/Aminu/Curry/Baldwin/1st which would add another $11M or so to Washington's cap relief next year, but that would push the Blazers to $142M for next with three roster spots to fill. Portland doesn't make much sense to me.

To me, the bottom line is that as best as I can tell, the Kings are the only team that can give Washington serious cap relief - there's a way for us to take on both Porter AND Mahinmi, and it wouldn't really hurt us for next year since we're stacked with young guys and have $37M in expiring contracts. We'd probably demand a bit more out of that - at least a pick - but if Leonsis actually cares about getting under the tax, we're the team to help them do it. If they don't want to, hey, it's their money.
Your dead right. The Kings are the only team that can give them immediate tax relief. There are teams that can send them expiring's that will give them relief next year, but no team other than the Kings can give relief in the current year. In the case of the Wizards, who will be a repeat tax team, that will be a substantial amount of money.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Willie by the way has the best defensive rating of anyone on the team. Yes, he does struggle at times against the AD's of the world, but you tell me who doesn't struggle against them. The best you can ask of any center is that he make players like AD work for their shot. Your not going to stop them. There's a reason they're superstars. I won't even bore you with Bagley's defensive rating. I do think Bagley will be a very good defender in time, but right now, he gets lost on switches, or doesn't switch at all. He's late with help defense at times. None of that is unusual for a rookie player.

Willie is a terrific help defender, and if there's a fault, it's that sometimes he tries to help too much and gets caught out of position. As to why he no longer takes that mid-range jumper, your guess is as good as mine. But then I hear people on this forum complaining about Willie taking shots. Then I go look at the box score and see he was almost a black hole with his 5 shot attempts a game.

All that said, you could be right about Willie not being with the team next season. I do think the Kings like Willie, but they don't like him enough to give him a huge salary. We will see...
I just think there's a difference between a guy who gets demolished when he faces a player, and a guy who gets outplayed when he faces a player. WCS just has too many games where he gets demolished. As far as helping out others, I can see WCS doing that on the periphery, but when it comes to the paint I really don't see it at all and I think it is reflected in his shot blocking statistics. I was listening to Nate Duncan on the radio recently and he said the Kings would need another center to go to the next level. I'm in agreement with him.

I selected WCS and expirings, but honestly at this point I just want a trade of any kind. I want us to do SOMETHING. We need a SF, Otto or someone else. Let's get it done at a reasonable cost.
Why? This is the first year for two of our up and coming players, second year for Fox and Bogs and 4th year for Hield, and WCS. If we kept with this core we can only get better and better. If we make trades just to make trades, and nothing more we will be sitting where we are now next year, the year after ect ect.

You never just "DO SOMETHING!" or make a trade when we really don't need one. What you said makes no sense. That would be the worst thing you could do to this team.

Portland is in cap hell. They would throw in a young player and a pick but they'd also have to send some of their garbage along with it. And their garbage is some bad garbage.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Expirings and Skal and a 2nd rounder.....they don’t like it then forget it. No effing way I trade a WCS for him. He’s got a net negative contract.

Expirings and Skal and a 2nd rounder.....they don’t like it then forget it. No effing way I trade a WCS for him. He’s got a net negative contract.
You are not getting anyone of note for Skal and 2nd rounder. While Porter's contract is bloated, it is far from a terrible contract by today's standards especially for a team like us where the payroll is lowest in the league and all of our best players are still on their rookie deals.

The thing with Porter is that he is a different player with Wall and without Wall. We can only assume reasons for that....is it because Wall is not good for the team or is it because Porter is willing to take on a lesser role (i.e. team player)

Last year Porter was a border line all-star. He was that good on both ends of the floor. He would fit this team like a glove. Great size for a position (primaily a SF but can play small ball PF), a very good shooter from the long range, good rebounder for position and a very good defender, plays well off the ball. He is exactly the type of player this team would be looking for at SF. If he is such a great fit, then you would be willing to pay a little bit more to get him and I think he is a great fit for the team. It would at the very least take a 1st round pick and expiring deals to get the deal done. I don't think he gets moved as Washington happily traded away Oubre Jr. and I interpreted this that they chose Porter Jr. over Oubre Jr. despite what is likely going to be a reasonable difference in salaries.

I'd like us to try a three way deal with NYK, involving Kanter. Then dangle WCS and expirings to Washington for Porter and Mahinmi.

Sell it by noting this deal would surely hurt Boston as much as it helps anyone involved.

I'd like us to try a three way deal with NYK, involving Kanter. Then dangle WCS and expirings to Washington for Porter and Mahinmi.

Sell it by noting this deal would surely hurt Boston as much as it helps anyone involved.
Not sure if Kanter without WCS is the answer.

While I am not a massive WCS fan, I do think he is getting notoriously under rated on this board. I think he has been pretty solid defensively for the team. Ideally, you would want better rebounding and better rim protection but he is solid without being spectacular. Replacing him with Kanter does absolutely nothing for us defensively. In fact it makes us much worse. It does improve the rebounding though.

Having said that, I would be willing to take on Mahinmi's contract if it meant we are getting Porter Jr.

He still has a year and $16 million remaining after this season which is more than a bit pricey but Porter is such a great fit for this team that it might just be worth it.

While I am not a massive WCS fan, I do think he is getting notoriously under rated on this board. I think he has been pretty solid defensively for the team. Ideally, you would want better rebounding and better rim protection but he is solid without being spectacular. Replacing him with Kanter does absolutely nothing for us defensively. In fact it makes us much worse. It does improve the rebounding though.

Having said that, I would be willing to take on Mahinmi's contract if it meant we are getting Porter Jr.

He still has a year and $16 million remaining after this season which is more than a bit pricey but Porter is such a great fit for this team that it might just be worth it.
I feel like we're going to have to dangle WCS to get Porter. We're not going to offer any of our core and I don't think we can give them anything else that bites. I would like to keep him as our third big if the price is right but I don't want to pay more than 15/16m per season and I think he wants more.

But if we move him, we need a replacement, and I'm not sure who else is out there. Kanter would basically be a trial run. I am not sure he's an answer for us either. But if we move Willie we need someone to fill his shoes.

It may take us taking on Mahinmi contract for Washington to bite on a Otto Porter trade.

I think it is an over pay, but if it meant we don’t need to include WCS or any of our core players in a Porter trade, Vlade may need to bite that Mahinimi bullet to get Porter. Mahinimi would assume KK’s 3rd string center role next year.

It may take us taking on Mahinmi contract for Washington to bite on a Otto Porter trade.

I think it is an over pay, but if it meant we don’t need to include WCS or any of our core players in a Porter trade, Vlade may need to bite that Mahinimi bullet to get Porter. Mahinimi would assume KK’s 3rd string center role next year.
I don't think we're desperate enough to take on Mahinimi's contract for Porter Jr. Porter Jr already has a terrible contract himself that isn't worth anything more than a salary dump. Still can't believe he got a max contract... next Allen Crabbe who's rehabbing a "knee injury" but might make a comeback soon if the Nets continue losing.