Taurean Prince?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Apparently the Hawks are open to moving Taurean Prince.

Thoughts? I don’t know much (anything) about his game other than he’s a SF.

Would the Kings be interested? Would the Kings have anything that would interest the Hawks, aka a big salary to absorb?

The Hawks only big contracts are Plumlee at 12.5 signed until next year and Bazemore who has a player option next year for 19.5. I like Prince but don't think Kings would be willing to give what the Hawks may think he's worth

Not sure what to think of him. He's regressed this year on both sides of the ball. Physically he looks like a monster but he only gathers a half rebound more than JJ per36. Advanced stats have him as one of the worst defenders on the Hawks. I wouldn't give up anything of real value for him. I don't know what the odds are but I don't think they're good for a player to break out who had improved quite a bit their 2nd year and then completely regressed again their 3rd year. He's been dinged up a bit this year so that could account for it but it would be a risk for sure.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Not sure what to think of him. He's regressed this year on both sides of the ball. Physically he looks like a monster but he only gathers a half rebound more than JJ per36. Advanced stats have him as one of the worst defenders on the Hawks. I wouldn't give up anything of real value for him. I don't know what the odds are but I don't think they're good for a player to break out who had improved quite a bit their 2nd year and then completely regressed again their 3rd year. He's been dinged up a bit this year so that could account for it but it would be a risk for sure.
I'm not sure what the risk would be, other than what we would have to give up to get him. He's only making around 2.5 mil a year, and has one more year left on his contract before he becomes a restricted free agent. I do think the injuries have affected his game this year, and despite that, he's still averaging 13.9 ppg against 14.1 ppg last year. He's shooting around 36% from the three. If we could get him without giving up much, it might be worth a shot. He's certainly not my first choice, but if we can't acquire my first choice (Porter), then why not?

Hmm never considered him but from a physical point of view he certainly is a SF. Career 37% three point shooter and takes 5-6 a game so he certainly is respectable from 3. He’s young enough to fit our team and get better and he’s certainly cheap enough. Not a clue about his defensive ability. Is he starter material?

Not sure why the defensive metrics show poorly for Prince. He's been known as a good defender. He can hit the 3 too. He's a good all-around player and still really young.

I would offer WCS for him straight up. Maybe mix and match some other pieces in the deal to acquire Lin in the process if possible.

Hawks could have insane high-flying frontcourt athleticism in Collins and Willie, with Trae dishing lobs left and right.

We fill our gaping hole at SF.

Not sure why the defensive metrics show poorly for Prince. He's been known as a good defender. He can hit the 3 too. He's a good all-around player and still really young.

I would offer WCS for him straight up. Maybe mix and match some other pieces in the deal to acquire Lin in the process if possible.

Hawks could have insane high-flying frontcourt athleticism in Collins and Willie, with Trae dishing lobs left and right.

I would absolutely do that. I liked what I saw yesterday. He has the right body type, seems to have some game off the dribble, and can shoot it. Get it done!

So WCS, Mason, Ben 11.5 mil works on RealGm and a 2nd rd for Lin, Prince 16.2 Mil Sal

Lin might be a small upgrade over Yogi
Both Yogi and Mason are non-guarenteed next yr, so If Lin will take Backup salary, I am ok with him as long term Backup PG
If he wants the big bucks, then just keep Yogi

Prince might also be a small upgrade over Shump and JJ
He is only 24, potential, contract cheap thru next year
If we get a better SF in FA, he would be a good backup

Its a great short term solution to both Backup PG, and SF Needs

Other than Collins, Atlanta Bigs suck,

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not interested in what might be "small upgrades"... I personally would rather see Vlade do NOTHING than pull the trigger on a trade that doesn't make us a lot better.

Lin is a ball hog. I watched him closely last night and was totally unimpressed. He loves iso and I fear he would not blend in well with what we're building.

Prince? Meh...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yea I don't care about Lin whatsoever. He wouldn't be a part of our future. I still like Prince though.
I don't dislike him. I just don't think he's that much of an upgrade to JJ, especially if Justin continues to improve. JJ is actually doing fairly well on defense, although it's tough to measure since there aren't that many stats available in that regard. I do know Doug Christie keeps talking about watching him improve.

I was at the game last night and wasn't particularly impressed with either Prince or Lin. Prince had some nice offensive moves, but how come he's coming off the bench for a bad team? Lin? -- I'd rather have Yogi.

If the Suns have a lot of forwards makes me think they'll part with one of them. Even if you strike out on Oubre, they have to consider one of them expendable, no?
They traded Ariza for Oubre so I would bet they are trying to hang onto him, no? He seems to have blossomed with PHX, I really like him.

Wasn't he at one point one of the top prospects in the nation?

As for PHX and their forward situation, there's a lot of talk about moving TJ Warren. He's a scoring SF/PF (which would actually be perfect off the bench if WCS gets moved). Apparently his D is pretty ugly though.

They traded Ariza for Oubre so I would bet they are trying to hang onto him, no? He seems to have blossomed with PHX, I really like him.

Wasn't he at one point one of the top prospects in the nation?

As for PHX and their forward situation, there's a lot of talk about moving TJ Warren. He's a scoring SF/PF (which would actually be perfect off the bench if WCS gets moved). Apparently his D is pretty ugly though.
There commentary have been raving about him defense this season that and his 3 point shooting have improved an amazing amount, the only time he struggles on D is at PF against physical post players. Warren @12mil per season is as good value as your going to get for a non rookie contract player as a starting level player I would offer them packages of Bogi/WCS/Filler for Warren hes a beast and playing in a uptempo team like ours where he doesn't have to deal with Devin Booker awful shot selection and hogging would only help.

There commentary have been raving about him defense this season that and his 3 point shooting have improved an amazing amount, the only time he struggles on D is at PF against physical post players. Warren @12mil per season is as good value as your going to get for a non rookie contract player as a starting level player I would offer them packages of Bogi/WCS/Filler for Warren hes a beast and playing in a uptempo team like ours would only help.
Phoenix fans talk about Warren being a defensive liability a lot..so not sure how I feel about that. I like him, but I get a sense that he might be one of those players who put up empty stats on a losing team.

Phoenix fans talk about Warren being a defensive liability a lot..so not sure how I feel about that. I like him, but I get a sense that he might be one of those players who put up empty stats on a losing team.
He was in the past but not from what I have seen prior to his latest injury, the man is a walking bucket and can score every single way possible and the fact he's improved his 3pt % by like 20% show's he's willing to adapt. Your not getting a quality SF like him for under 12 mil imo.

I wouldn't be opposed to going after Warren, but I certainly wouldn't want to deal Bogs.

Edit: Also I just realized that PHX probably wouldn't have any interest in Willie. They just drafted Ayton and their backup C is Richaun Holmes who is basically WCS-lite.

Last edited:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25902818/nba-trade-deadline-preview-zach-lowe-expect

• Portland stands a potential buyer -- an under-the-radar really good team with questions about its postseason viability. The Trail Blazers have put their first-round pick in play, per sources around the league. They have investigated Porter's availability. Taurean Prince makes some sense; he's up for an extension this summer, and the Hawks have made him available, sources say. As a free agent non-destination, the Blazers value players whose rights they can control.
But the Hawks are asking a lot so far -- a young player and a pick -- and haven't gotten much traction on Prince trades, sources say.

WCS is young! and we have several 2nds!

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25902818/nba-trade-deadline-preview-zach-lowe-expect

• Portland stands a potential buyer -- an under-the-radar really good team with questions about its postseason viability. The Trail Blazers have put their first-round pick in play, per sources around the league. They have investigated Porter's availability. Taurean Prince makes some sense; he's up for an extension this summer, and the Hawks have made him available, sources say. As a free agent non-destination, the Blazers value players whose rights they can control.
But the Hawks are asking a lot so far -- a young player and a pick -- and haven't gotten much traction on Prince trades, sources say.

WCS is young! and we have several 2nds!
I read that whole article yesterday and the Kings were hardly even mentioned as being in the mix for anyone. All it said is that we have plenty of cap space to make a move.

I'm hoping we do something.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
If Prince is out there for a young (Skal) and a 2nd rounder why the heck not. Add Lin into the deal and the Kings get what they need and what they want in the same deal. Prince isn't a Barnes or Porter level player but a solid pickup with the potential to be a better fit long term.