Porzingis to Dallas (split/merged)

Mavs potentially taking on huge cap money and losing draft capital for one season of rehabbing Zinger.
WOW.

So Zinger wants to be free in the open market. Losing his RFA rights and basically letting Zinger rehab next season with your squad is an insane risk, considering the amount of money you took on and giving away DSJ and possibly a pick.

This has to be why this deal got done so quickly. Knicks didn't want it known that KP would be taking the QO and got what value they could for him. Also have to wonder if the Mavs were aware they'd be losing his RFA rights?

Crazy trade.

The thing is that Dallas didn't really have a lot of assets to work with (their pick this season would have been their best assist but they gave it up for Luka). They sorta had to gamble and that's what they're doing with this Zaps move. Especially if he's told them he's aiming to be a UFA in 2020.
Audentes fortuna iuvat.

Marc Stein @TheSteinLine
The Dallas Mavericks are nearing a trade to acquire Kristaps Porzingis from the New York Knicks, according to league sources.

The Knicks would receive Dennis Smith Jr. and the expiring contracts of DeAndre Jordan and Wes Matthews in the proposed trade, according to league sources
The Knicks would also receive future first-round draft compensation from the Mavericks and, by shedding the contracts of Hardaway and Lee, create the salary-cap space this summer to pursue two maximum contract free agents

Euroball in Dallas. I'm excited for them, I'm honest. That's what I've always dreamed for the Kings.
Knick fans should be on suicide watch wtf are they doing how does falls go from a bleak future to title contenders in a flash. Unreal

I would’ve gave anyone but fox up for the unicorn

Knick fans should be on suicide watch wtf are they doing how does falls go from a bleak future to title contenders in a flash. Unreal

I would’ve gave anyone but fox up for the unicorn
I'm scared of his injury to be honest.
Dallas gave out DSJ and garbage, you take that risk.
If everything works, future is so bright. In six months, not fifteen years.

I agree with you. DeAndre isn't the same player he was on the Clippers...and even if you think he is, he's still only your 4th best player on a playoff team..max. DSJ is very young and athletic, but he hasn't improved his game this year and acted a bit like a diva. We'll have to see what their 1st round pick is.... but I find it hard to believe that other teams didn't offer more.

Maybe I'm biased, but I think an offer of Bagley+Bogdan easily tops that(not that the Kings would give it up only for Porzingis to be a UFA in 2020).

However, it seems like the market for a 1yr rental of Porzingis wasn't all that big? Nets, Clippers, Heat, Spurs, and Raptors. I guess in that case, DSJ is easily the best prospect from any of those teams.

Still find it funny that the Knicks could've had DSJ all along but opted for Ntilikina. LOL
With the reports that the Kings had talked to the Knicks on multiple occasions, Porzingis had to have come up at some point. The UFA part would be a no go for the Kings. I also wouldn't throw Bagley in that trade. He's a #2 pick that hasn't even started his career. You don't trade that for an injured player who won't commit to resigning. That's too much.

I'm scared of his injury to be honest.
Dallas gave out DSJ and garbage, you take that risk.
If everything works, future is so bright. In six months, not fifteen years.
Wasn’t it just a torn acl that’s nothing honestly, if it were achilles ya.

I’m jealous

With the reports that the Kings had talked to the Knicks on multiple occasions, Porzingis had to have come up at some point. The UFA part would be a no go for the Kings. I also wouldn't throw Bagley in that trade. He's a #2 pick that hasn't even started his career. You don't trade that for an injured player who won't commit to resigning. That's too much.
I agree. I will say - as amazing a player Porzingis is, his frail/thin 7'3" frame really lends itself to another injury. That's scary.

Imagine being a Mavs fan before the 2018 draft you were looking at a future of DSJ/Wendell Carter. You wake up 6 months later and you have Luka/Porzingis for literally nothing
Hardaway while over paid is actually a pretty good fit @SG next to Luka as well imo, all that's left now is to let Barnes walk or trade him and sign Middelton/Brogdan or both next season.

Last edited:
He had a meeting with them this morning and determined he wasnt going to be staying.

WOW.

So Zinger wants to be free in the open market. Losing his RFA rights and basically letting Zinger rehab next season with your squad is an insane risk, considering the amount of money you took on and giving away DSJ and possibly a pick.

This has to be why this deal got done so quickly. Knicks didn't want it known that KP would be taking the QO and got what value they could for him. Also have to wonder if the Mavs were aware they'd be losing his RFA rights?

Crazy trade.
lol

Mav fans thought they had fleeced the Knicks up until this little detail came out. I'm going to laugh my ass off when Porzingis walks after next season and DSJ is balling out in NYC. Screw you, Mark Cuban.

Imagine being a Mavs fan before the 2018 draft you were looking at a future of DSJ/Wendell Carter. You wake up 6 months later and you have Luka/Porzingis for literally nothing
Losing their 2017 and 2019 picks, and whatever other pick has been exchanged to NY (future first in 2021 maybe, I haven't seen this reported? edit now being reported as two future firsts) isn't exactly nothing.

Will they build an all euro squad? Will they get a bunch of free agent interest from top star level US based talent?

They're going all in, this will be fun to watch either way.

Last edited:
I would've only traded that for him if he didn't take the QO. It's very rare a player takes the QO especially a star player.

Porzingis is arguably a franchise player in the league. This is his first injury of his career and I have no reason to doubt that he can't come back 100% healthy. But as I said, I would've only traded that for him if I knew it wasn't a 1 year rental

So the knicks get another center? Now that shoe has dropped and they did not need a third team for it does that mean Kanter is being dealt soon?
I think with N.Y. seemingly having a fire sale is there a opportunity there?

oh boy, the protections will make or break this trade
Yea for sure. If there's no protection on either pick then the trade might actually end up being a net positive for NYK. If both of the picks are owned by the Mavs then the Knicks will be banking on the Mavs sucking for better draft positioning. But w/ Doncic, KP and co. I'm not sure how that'll work out for NY.

Cuban definitely has balls, he never misses an opportunity. That's a great trade for the Mavs, although apparently Porzingis will take the Qualifying Offer. But I guess they didn't give up that much, considering the potential rewards.

Should be fun to watch. A little jealous also that we couldn't have landed him somehow.

KP injury status is real. Someone is maxing a player that may never be the same again. He could be a bad contract now
I thought I read (Ringer maybe?) that he would sign a qualifying offer, which would give Dallas two max slots next year and then they could re-sign KP to a Bird right's deal in the future?

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Giving up two firsts and KP going in on being a UFA is risky.
He's coming off a 4 year rookie scale contract for a first round pick so he'll be a Restricted Free Agent won't he?

EDIT: Oh I see, he wants to do what Nerlens did and play on the one year QO to escape Restricted Status? That still gives them all of next season to see if he's worth re-signing and/or convince him to resign. Even if that is his intention, I'm not sure given his injury history that's a wise decision for him to make. But I do believe he wanted out of New York badly enough that he would have taken the risk next year just to escape. We'll see if he feels the same way about Dallas.

Last edited:
I thought I read (Ringer maybe?) that he would sign a qualifying offer, which would give Dallas two max slots next year and then they could re-sign KP to a Bird right's deal in the future?
So both teams banking on going big in FA...but DAL “prize” being Porz if he’s healthy and will resign and for NY it’s the 2 1st? Because wouldn’t these contracts all cancel out anyways? Kind of confused now on all of this and who came out on top lol

Iv'e been reading some Mavs forum for kicks, seems many of them want Barnes gone? Not sure if that's good or bad in case the Kings are interested.

My goodness, the Mavs are certainly going all-in. I'll be curious to see if Kristaps Porzingis remains a special talent when he returns to the court. When he was drafted, the idea of a "unicorn" big man was still novel. Now, starting 4's and 5's all across the league are expected to possess a wide range of skills. Does he pick up where he left off, and does he elevate this Mavericks team into the playoff picture next season? If healthy, I would say "yes." Of course, Porzingis has yet to play a full NBA season, and his injury history is not exactly encouraging. But he's also certainly a better return on Dennis Smith Jr. then I ever expected the Mavs to get. The move is not without risk, but they also would have been crazy not to pull the trigger.

However, I am rather surprised that New York traded Porzingis for so little. DSJ and expirings? Really? Are they that optimistic about their chances in free agency, given how bare their roster is at present? New York has fallen flat on their face with that strategy time and again in the last decade, and I would not be very thrilled if I were a Knicks fans right now...

edit: Ah, I see now that Dallas is also giving up two future first round picks to the Knicks in the deal. I suppose that justifies it a bit more from New York's perspective. And it also means that Dallas is seriously all-in. Damn, they had better make waves in free agency to bring in quality talent to build around Doncic/Porzingis, because there's not much left for the Mavs to work with.

Last edited:
Iv'e been reading some Mavs forum for kicks, seems many of them want Barnes gone? Not sure if that good or bad in case the Kings are interested.
Ehh. His level of pay is WAY above his production. He's been inefficient. I'm not entirely sure what his play style is so I'm not going to try and explain how he might fit in with us, but I think he's an iso guy.

My goodness, the Mavs are certainly going all-in. I'll be curious to see if Kristaps Porzingis remains a special talent when he returns to the court. When he was drafted, the idea of a "unicorn" big man was still novel. Now, starting 4's and 5's all across the league are expected to possess a wide range of skills. Does he pick up where he left off, and does he elevate this Mavericks team into the playoff picture next season? If healthy, I would say "yes." Of course, Porzingis has yet to play a full NBA season, and his injury history is not exactly encouraging. But he's also certainly a better return on Dennis Smith Jr. then I ever expected the Mavs to get. The move is not without risk, but they also would have been crazy not to pull the trigger.

However, I am rather surprised that New York traded Porzingis for so little. DSJ and expirings? Really? Are they that optimistic about their chances in free agency, given how bare their roster is at present? New York has fallen flat on their face with that strategy time and again in the last decade, and I would not be very thrilled if I were a Knicks fans right now...
Apparently it my also include two future first round fron mavs

oh boy, the protections will make or break this trade
Regardless of the protections:

Giving up 3 first round picks and a bunch of cap space for Porzingis to say he wants to sign the QO and enter UFA? I get you have a season to convince him otherwise, but damn, they certainly went all in. This is all assuming that Porzingis returns to form after the injury.