Porzingis to Dallas (split/merged)

Marc Stein @TheSteinLine
The Dallas Mavericks are nearing a trade to acquire Kristaps Porzingis from the New York Knicks, according to league sources.

The Knicks would receive Dennis Smith Jr. and the expiring contracts of DeAndre Jordan and Wes Matthews in the proposed trade, according to league sources
The Knicks would also receive future first-round draft compensation from the Mavericks and, by shedding the contracts of Hardaway and Lee, create the salary-cap space this summer to pursue two maximum contract free agents

Euroball in Dallas. I'm excited for them, I'm honest. That's what I've always dreamed for the Kings.

I wouldn't touch him until he shows that he's fully healthy. And even then, I'd be weary. Guys that tall have a poor history of longevity.

Edit: Wow, just heard Dallas is trading for him.

? Seem to have been a real issue for Dirk. Please back up your statement with examples. Dallas is now one piece away from being good again.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
That trade happened very quickly. Kings should have gotten in on that. One prospect + taking on salary was the cost.
Mavs are also giving up another pick (if this works awesome but if things backfire, ouch) and taking on MULTIPLE bad contracts.

WOW! I wish the Kings would've jumped on this trade. What a steal for Dallas.

lol NY...you could've had DSJ in the 2018 draft but instead opted for freaking Frank Ntilikina. What a horribly mismanaged franchise.

? Seem to have been a real issue for Dirk. Please back up your statement with examples. Dallas is now one piece away from being good again.
Dirk is about 7 foot.

Sean Bradley, Yao, Manute Bol...Dudes 7'3 or taller tend to have much shorter duration than shorter players.

WOW! I wish the Kings would've jumped on this trade. What a steal for Dallas.

lol NY...you could've had DSJ in the 2018 draft but instead opted for freaking Frank Ntilikina. What a horribly mismanaged franchise.
I like it for NYK. They get DSJ, likely another first, tank hard for Zion, then sign two max FAs. While off loading a ton of dead money and a still yet to be fully healthy Porzingas.

There's no defending this. Knicks have the worst ownership in sports. Perhaps one of the worst trades I've ever seen. They didn't even get a pick out of it. Porzingis is a unicorn. You don't give that up for DSJ and filler. And they could have drafted DSJ in the first place instead of bust Ntilikina who plays the same position. Absolute disaster.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
KP has an advantage in that his game wasn't exactly predicated on his athleticism in the first place but leg injuries on guys that big should scare you.

ACLs are tricky things (as Harry Giles's long road to recovery has shown us) and some players don't come out golden on the other side.

There's no defending this. Knicks have the worst ownership in sports. Perhaps one of the worst trades I've ever seen. They didn't even get a pick out of it. Porzingis is a unicorn. You don't give that up for DSJ and filler.
You don't do it if you're in a market like Sac, but it looks much better if they end up with two max salary players plus Zion. Also think they're getting picks.

Dallas took the risk with Porzingis. NY playing it smart and rebuilding from scratch.

I don't think NY does this if they're not worried about Porzingis health. Dallas has to shoot for the moon. They're hamstrung right now.

You don't do it if you're in a market like Sac, but it looks much better if they end up with two max salary players plus Zion. Also think they're getting picks.
Reports are now saying a first round pick but the details of the pick are uncertain. All of the big free agents in recent years haven't signed with the Knicks, so I don't know why they think it'll be any different this summer.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
oh crap. we have a shot at Porzingers in 2020!!!!

I think DSJ lost a lot of his value this year because he hasn't improved on his game this year... still doesn't feel like Dallas gave up much
The thing is that Dallas didn't really have a lot of assets to work with (their pick this season would have been their best assist but they gave it up for Luka). They sorta had to gamble and that's what they're doing with this Zaps move. Especially if he's told them he's aiming to be a UFA in 2020.

I'm not that disappointed that the Kings didn't land Kristaps (nor AD probably). We just don't have the assets to trade for these guys. Right now we have to target smaller trades and go all in in the off season. I really don't wanna lose Fox, Buddy or Marvin.

Our team is a few years away from being great. Give them time to develop. We'll get our pieces at the right time.

It's a little bit of risk on Dallas part but the payoff could be huge. Dallas' cap situation and lack of assets was going to make it tough to put big talent around Luka.........and now they just did.

I hope it all works out for Porzingis. If I were a Mavs fan I'd be pretty excited.
It's hard for me to believe that the Knicks have struggled so much for so long.

The Mavs have done a great job in acquiring the two holy grail pieces that every modern team wants - the elite wing creator and the unicorn big man who can protect the rim and stretch the floor. We have some nice young talent, but I don't see what our path is to getting either of those things.

dirk is 7ft tall. Porzingis is like 7'4. Yao Ming is a good example. Great when he plays but injury prone. How's that for examples. You probably should take up your own advice and put up some example for your hot takes

The thing is that Dallas didn't really have a lot of assets to work with (their pick this season would have been their best assist but they gave it up for Luka). They sorta had to gamble and that's what they're doing with this Zaps move. Especially if he's told them he's aiming to be a UFA in 2020.
I agree with you. DeAndre isn't the same player he was on the Clippers...and even if you think he is, he's still only your 4th best player on a playoff team..max. DSJ is very young and athletic, but he hasn't improved his game this year and acted a bit like a diva. We'll have to see what their 1st round pick is.... but I find it hard to believe that other teams didn't offer more.

Maybe I'm biased, but I think an offer of Bagley+Bogdan easily tops that(not that the Kings would give it up only for Porzingis to be a UFA in 2020).

However, it seems like the market for a 1yr rental of Porzingis wasn't all that big? Nets, Clippers, Heat, Spurs, and Raptors. I guess in that case, DSJ is easily the best prospect from any of those teams.

Still find it funny that the Knicks could've had DSJ all along but opted for Ntilikina. LOL