Giles Will Start Soon.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’m usually impatient AF.... That said, Giles is the one case where I’m okay with slow and steady. As long as he’s getting minutes, I’ll be happy. His time will come... let us remember the limited amount of actual ball he’s played over the last 3 years or so. He’ll get there. He will and there’s no doubt in my mind.

Bagley on the other hand? He needs to start yesterday.

I’m usually impatient AF.... That said, Giles is the one case where I’m okay with slow and steady. As long as he’s getting minutes, I’ll be happy. His time will come... let us remember the limited amount of actual ball he’s played over the last 3 years or so. He’ll get there. He will and there’s no doubt in my mind.

Bagley on the other hand? He needs to start yesterday.
I actually think Bagley will go ahead and start against Philly and coach may call it a matchup thing or something... but he's the clear starter right now over, actually either Willie or Belly, but I think it will be Belly... but I think Giles will play more minutes than WCS the rest of the year, regardless of starting role.

I’m not sure if it’s been mentioned elsewhere, but Zach Lowe did mention on his podcast a couple days ago that willie is on the trading block.
Makes perfect sense and I may have had a psychic download about that info that I forgot to post. In fact I for sure did. I mean it's kind of obvious. Nonetheless, good to hear from a somewhat reputable source.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I actually think Bagley will go ahead and start against Philly and coach may call it a matchup thing or something... but he's the clear starter right now over, actually either Willie or Belly, but I think it will be Belly... but I think Giles will play more minutes than WCS the rest of the year, regardless of starting role.
There’s an important day about a week out that can dictate how much these guys are getting forward. Games like this makes a certain someone more expendable.

That said, in a perfect world we keep Willie and he’s cool as a well paid (NOT OVERPAID) third energy big.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
20 points in 21 minutes....no questions. Willie needs to sit on the bench and come off the bench if he is willing to take a paycut, but otherwise...farewell to you Willie

That's kind of like saying water is wet.
Mmmmm....I take it a little more serious than you’re implying. That they are actively looking to move him (for the right price). With the way willie opened the season, I don’t think they would have been actively shopping him at the beginning of the year. I’m starting to think he’s not part of their plans anymore unless all else fails.

I don't think he'll start soon, nor should he, since he will be over matched by a lot of the starting centers in the league but that was a really fun to watch tonight. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or what but it seemed like it was a lot harder for the Hawks to score in the paint when he in Bagley were in there together. Hopefully we get a handful of games like this for these two guys to finish the year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Mmmmm....I take it a little more serious than you’re implying. That they are actively looking to move him (for the right price). With the way willie opened the season, I don’t think they would have been actively shopping him at the beginning of the year. I’m starting to think he’s not part of their plans anymore unless all else fails.
I have no respect for Zach Lowe. He states the obvious while acting as though it comes from some super-secret inside source he and he alone has access to.

It's widely assumed WCS will be moved for the right price. That's why I said what I did.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think he'll start soon, nor should he, since he will be over matched by a lot of the starting centers in the league but that was a really fun to watch tonight. I don't know if it was just a coincidence or what but it seemed like it was a lot harder for the Hawks to score in the paint when he in Bagley were in there together. Hopefully we get a handful of games like this for these two guys to finish the year.
Very valid point.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It definitely was not a coincidence. They shut down Atlanta in the paint. In particular, they vaporized Collins, who is no slouch. They are going to be challenged by older stronger players until they get older and stronger themselves.

I think too many fans (and even players) get caught up in who 'starts'. It doesn't matter if H20 starts or not. What's important are the minutes. He played 21 minutes tonight and would have played more had the game been closer. The closer he can get to 30 minutes per night the better. If he gets to that number consistently, it doesn't matter whether it's a start or off the bench. Same as how it doesn't matter for BoBo.

I don't see this happening any time soon. If this was a season like the one we had 3-4 years ago then yes, but this year no.

I wouldn't be too excited over the fact that we destroyed Atlanta, that's not a great benchmark. We're still struggling against real opponents...

I think he is fine the way he was used last night and if he continues to progress which he has showed he just maybe will become a starter but while WCS is ahead of him it’s just not going to happen. WCS didn’t get his chance until Cousins left and the same will happen here.

But man what a performance the second group had last night. WCS having foul trouble forced the coach to change up the rotation which worked much better for us. I found myself wanting Bagley to rest a little more so he would be fresh in crunch time but it turned out not necessary in the blowout.

I can see what the players have seen from Giles in practice and he is very good.

I was there last night. At half time shoot-around Giles was wearing bulky white ice packs on each knee as he participated. When he went into the game in the second half they were gone.

To me, I think Giles is too small to play Center full time. The bigger Centers in the NBA would crush him.

For all the talk that Giles is a natural Center, I see him more as a Power Forward and Bagley as a Center. WCS would be an ideal 3rd big after Giles and Bagley fills out.

I agree, but ultimately it doesn't matter. If Gilles is working the high post or even the top down pass position like Draymond takes from the arc in the middle of the floor, then Bagley needs to be a 37%+ 3 point shooter on 4-5 shots per game. If Giles could shoot 35% on 2-3 per game, space issues are solved with those two.

We also have yet to really see either of them in the PnR. Giles sets good to above average screens, Bagley is really bad at it right now.