[Game] Kings vs Suns Jan 6PT-9ET

Kingster

Hall of Famer
So, what you actually run and it's result has nothing to do with it? I wish I had time to make a breakdown vid. It's all there.
Turning down open shots to run into traffic has nothing to do with the offensive system. Dribbling the ball in front of you into the opposition has nothing to do with play sets. Running into three people has nothing to do with play sets.

This is the ultimate Willie is not the problem here game of the season tbh. The tape on this one doesn't lie. Ayton's a rookie but he's a legit matchup.

Willie's 6/11 too and most of those misses are little chipshots that had a chance and were on clean moves (except when he got blocked on the spinmove).

His defense was excellent in this one if you're being objective. He had 2 handfuls of nice defensive plays.
WCS is having his standard 13-15 pts mostly from alley-oops while missing 4-5 layups/2 ft bunnies and grabbing 7 boards... and the soft, low motor rookie he’s defending gets 17pts on mostly mid range jumpers and 12 boards in 29 mins. And WCS is not an issue?? Giles in less then 20 games has already shown he’s a better scorer, rebounder, passer, shooter, etc

Turning down open shots to run into traffic has nothing to do with the offensive system. Dribbling the ball in front of you into the opposition has nothing to do with play sets. Running into three people has nothing to do with play sets.
There's a difference between that, which does happen at times, and consistently seeing teams handle the Kings high post sets with ease and in turn force the Kings into wild play with little left on the clock, which they are doing. When you run a set that involves a big handing off to a little that's what you get. Grant called out that Joeger made the call from the sideline on one play spefically, Willie hands off to Jackson, Jackson turns it over as he's coming around Willie right into the defense. Teams are starting to attack the wing or guard off that play and are starting to pack the paint on the big knowing that there isn't much threat from the opposition when in that spot. We're seeing players move but they are moving haphazardly and many times in eachothers way. There are youth mistakes mixed in, no doubt, but if there are plenty of play calls that are consistently yielding very little positive result.

Kings's coach sucks at adjustments. You know Gary Giles can't guard Ayton he's just too small, why do you not put Cauley-Stein in right away? What...you wait until he scored a couple buckets before you put him? It's pathetic. This is the kind of coach that i hate because they play some part in losing the game. Their substitution patterns simply suck. There is no strategy involved. Why do you rest the starters so long? When things are not working with a certain lineups, you should change immediately. Not to mention the fact that some of the starters have rest long enough. And why are the players continue to watch the ball and not boxing out when the ball is in the air? Have they not learned in the other games how they got beaten by Denver? I am talking about Bogi and Fox and Hield. These guys are STILL DOING IT!! That's why the Sun's players were able to crash the board. If you just look behind you and box out, they shouldn't be able to do that. Divac used to be very good at this....maybe Divac should be doing some coaching. Seriously, this team has some major fundamental flaws.

And when the team need to score, please don't go to pathetic players like Cauley-Stein....that fool keep missing layups with that predictable spin move. Did he ever learn how to do a soft layup off the board? Jesus.

WCS is having his standard 13-15 pts mostly from alley-oops while missing 4-5 layups/2 ft bunnies and grabbing 7 boards... and the soft, low motor rookie he’s defending gets 17pts on mostly mid range jumpers and 12 boards in 29 mins. And WCS is not an issue?? Giles in less then 20 games has already shown he’s a better scorer, rebounder, passer, shooter, etc
Willie in pick and roll is dangerous. He can attack off the dribble but teams are starting to figure out that in the high post 1 out of every 100,000 cuts he'll find someone on the pass but if you sag on him he has no choice but to slash.

Bogi, to me, it's like what they said on the broadcast in the last game, I don't worry about him... He looks fine to me except for shots are not falling, which happens to the best of em.
That’s true as well, however his decision making these last 5 or so games has been horrendous. I usually have to utmost confidence in him

What we saw last night vs. what we saw tonight - for me - boils down to one thing. We are a totally different team when Bagley is on the court. I'm waiting with baited breath for him to come off his minutes restriction. Once he's back full time I think we'll be a lot happier.
Bagley is a very good energy player, but expecting him as savior might be a little much - especially at this stage in his career The slop was like a pig-farm tonight. I thought if Booker played, it would be a dog-fight, but was surprised with the Suns competitiveness without him Great game by the Suns. Their disruptive defense won them the game fair and square.

No excuses for losing to a bad basketball team. None. Especially after having a 21-pt lead in Q3.

The only way to lose that game is to lose focus. Which is precisely what this team has been doing for a few weeks now. As soon as they get any kind of lead, they don’t play with the same effort and focus. They’re developing some very bad habits. And it’s costing them games. The lack of focus is evident on defensive end and rebounding missed shots. It’s evident on the offensive end when they stop moving and sharing the ball.

Once they got up 109-104, I knew the lull was coming again. Most every game they’ve won has been close. Because they can’t play with a lead and completely close teams out. They get too happy with themselves and start playing recklessly and/or ISO. Sometimes they recover and hold on. Other times BS like tonight happens. And it’s been happening too much as of late.

Oddly, when they trail most of a game, the focus is different and they never seem to stop playing. But when they are in control of a game, the exact opposite happens. They stop playing. They haven’t learned how to stay focused regardless of the situation.

Lastly, I don’t wanna hear about Kelly Oubre either. PHX is still a bad basketball team with him. The Kings took an easy win and a +.500 record and flushed it down the toilet with lackadasical play. There’s no other way to spin it.

They’d better learn from their mistakes soon or this playoff pipe dream will be over before the month of January is done. Believe it.

I think he might've gained a bit too much confidence from that game... At first I didn't see it when people said Bogdan is started to be a ball hog and such.. but he's been that way these last 5 games or so. It doesn't really show in the stat sheet, but I think he needs to just calm down a bit with the shot selection.
Eh, I don’t know. Most of his shots have been really good looks. Just not shooting well.

I’m more concerned by his recent sloppiness.

I never thought WCS is a starter material. He's at best off the bench. The reason he's starting is because ....like I said, the Kings have no other option. There is no other big guy with that length that can rebound. Willie is just a tall dude that can't shoot consistently. The problem is he is also a low IQ basketball player. Without DeAaron Fox, I don't think he can score much. The Kings are better off with player like Kevin Love.

True, and it's another team that again puts a spotlight on the Kings lack of size on the wing. They had an all 6'6"+ lineup on the floor at one point. Whereas the Kings had Yogi, Fox, and Ben.
I was eluding to it during the game but now that the loss is complete. The Suns present a unique issue for the Kings, I don't think there's a team better equipped to muck up our passing lanes the way they did tonight.

Josh Jackson is extremely athletic and they can flex him to the 4 position, This is really where the trouble all begins. Now they have Oubre who can flex in at SF, very long. Melton and Mikal Bridges are extremely well equipped to disrupt the passing lanes and swipe at dribbles, and have great lateral quickness and size for their positions.

and I mean. Richaun Holmes is just abusing the Kings this season, he's just ripping the ball out of our guys hands and everything.

The Suns gave up very little for players like Holmes and Oubre.... stinks to know they carried the win..

We need to draft defense. That's all there is to it. It's so tiring watching this team give up buckets upon buckets night after night.

Unfortunately, we don't have a first rounder this year, which means looking at either trades or FA.

I wish we had OG Anunoby from the Raps. He plays the wing too which is what we need.

“Postgame live with Jim Kozimor and Kelly H..I mean Kayte Hunter. I’ll get it eventually. Where did I get Kelly from? Well, I DID date a high school girl named Kelly”

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bagley is a very good energy player, but expecting him as savior might be a little much - especially at this stage in his career The slop was like a pig-farm tonight. I thought if Booker played, it would be a dog-fight, but was surprised with the Suns competitiveness without him Great game by the Suns. Their disruptive defense won them the game fair and square.
I didn't say he'd be a savior.

We had 26 TO's as a team, WCS had zero. Little things here and there aside, we lost due to 26 TO's.
It's not that he has zero TO...it's more about him doing stupid things on the court. Like spinning and doing a layup off the board way too strong. How many times have you seen that? Does he ever learned to control his shot? When you lose the game and you see Willie signing autograph in the tunnel? It just go to show that he's not a competitive player. He should be angry for losing this game...not signing autograph. You don't want that type of players on the team. They're dime in a dozen because they're non-competitive. You want smart talented players that make smart decisions on the court.