[Game] Kings vs Warriors 1/5 7PT/10ET

Regarding J.J. tonight, the thing I noticed most was his confidence and swagger. He wasn’t hesitating at all when he had an open shot and was aggressive. If he continues to play like that, we’ll see more performances like this.

Also, considering who he was guarding, I thought his defense was pretty good. He was very active and that’s really all you can ask.

Bogdanovic hero ball killed us, as bad as Fox was Bogdanovic just dribbled the air out of the ball and took ridiculously idiotic shots. Everyone else was great. That's like 5 games we could have had if we played smarter basketball.

Bogie needs to go back to being more of a spot up shooter/ball mover the shot attempts he's been taken this season are just point blank trash selfish shot selection. It's like the more he has the ball the lower his IQ becomes.
Part of it is we're running much smaller lineups that makes getting guys open a lot harder. Hard to have good screens to free up guys (whether it's Bogs or someone else) when we're just running one "big" (skinny big). Unless you're the Warriors of course and you can set as many moving picks as you'd like.

We had a number of just dumb bad plays (Bogs long 3, JJ heatcheck, Fox TO). Buddy sat for way too long. Fox has quietly been pretty lacklustre the past few games. Combination of injury, not getting calls etc, but point is if Fox plays an average game we win this.

Actually you are wrong. The schedule was based on the 2017-18 season W/L results. Not this current season. How do you think they formulate strength of schedule. It’s based on what a teams W/L was the year before.

Number 2: After this 8 game swing. Where the Kings play 7/8 against teams .500 or below.

To think they will win 7 straight. Can’t see it.
They won 5 earlier in the year.
When they faced the worst teams in the NBA in one stretch. Cavs, Wizards, Bulls, Hawks and Magic .

Kings need to take advantage of the next 2
Weeks.
Pull off at least 6 wins.

If not, they can kiss their playoff hopes goodbye. Houston and the Spurs are
Both finding their stride now. They are not giving up their stranglehold for playoff positioning.
21 of their next 35 are against teams above .500.

Sixers: 2x
Celtics 2x
Toronto 1
Milwaukee 1
Dubs 1
Heat 1
Clips 2
Houston 2
Den 2
OKC 1
Port 3
Lakers 1
Spurs 2

Considering the Kings records against teams above .500 5-16.

2 of those with big asterisks. No Lebron against the Lakers and No Oladipo against then Pacers. Teams could easily be. 3-18
cool story.
Bagleys comin back, I got faith.

All The JJ love tonite. I will give him peoples. Great game. More like an Outliar. Previous 4
Games the dude shot 26 percent. Let that sink in. Dubs were letting him feast all night, mostly against Jerebko. Against good or Elite 3s this guy wilts like a wimp.
It may very well be an outlier but JJ played 34 minutes. Most of his minutes were in direct competition with Kevin Durant, Iguadola, or Draymond Green. He played well all game. Jerebko played 13 minutes. You’re coming off as somebody who skews stuff for the sake of being negative. That wouldn’t be your only offense. I’d bet my rental properties that it wont be your last.

Last edited:
The Kings got in a shoot out with Green Curry, Soil Thornton and Devin Currant. It is a tough assignment, but they played well until the last 2 minutes when GS exerted their will. The Terriors were all business. They respect the Kings. That is worth something.

Jackson gets the game ball for outstanding play on both ends. Buddy played great. An effort like last night beats most NBA teams. You can see the Kings' defense slowly improving. They are making their foul shots. They get to the line. They are scoring on the fast break. The offense is humming. Next comes better rebounding.

Be real, you know how I post on this board. I bring statistics to just about every opinion I have and have done so since I started posting here. I got into with everyone during the IT era because the numbers he was putting up backed up my assertion that he was an elite offensive NBA player while everyone thought he was just a 6th man.

Basic +/- isn't a great stat in itself over a larger sample of games, but individual +/- is worthless. There's no statistical impact or anything you can gleam from it. It's too noisy. A basic understanding of basic NBA stats will tell you this. And then you try and compare 2 players who aren't playing the same position? How does that make sense?

We didn't lose this game because Giles didn't play enough minutes. We lost this game again to the most talented and battle-tested team in the NBA in crunch time that knows how to close games. The big takeaway I've gotten from this season is the core is certainly talented enough to be a playoff team year and and year out, but we don't have the experience as a unit to win games we should win. There's probably at least 5 or 6 games this season where if we don't crumble in the last 4 minutes of the game and play how we did the previous 44, we win the game.

The offense in the last 3 minutes was devolved into hero ISO ball or making dumb mistakes. Buddy passing up the shot to kick it to Bogdan with 3 seconds left with Draymond or KD (forget who) draped all over him. Bogdan trying to post up Draymond and beat him 1on1(have no idea why we kept trying to attack him), Fox with the unforced turnover in a possession we absolutely needed to have, Bogdan trying to recreate his game-winner against the Lakers 3.

The Warriors don't allow you to play for 44 minutes and coast to the win. You have to play the full 48 to beat them.
Right but your own explanation highlighted exactly the problem. Neither Bogdan or Buddy are great iso players. Bogdan is best in the pick and roll and Buddy is best running off screens to free him up for an open shot. The small ball line-up with Ben allows for neither of those things and we end up in ISO ball. Everyone blames Bogdan but it’s Joeger’s line-up putting him in those loser ISO situations.

Not to mention Jackson at the 4 hinders our rebounding. I’m not using Ben’s minus 6 to castigate Ben (an agreed bad use of a statistic) but to show the small ball line-up is horrible (it was -6 at a critical time). It is a valid use of that statistic.

It was a horrible line-up, Giles was playing well and we had no reason to go to it. Joeger simply cost us that game with that line-up insertion.

Last edited:
Yep. Bagley’s coming back and Joerger is starting to show faith in Harry. That’s our front court of the future that’s going to be coming off the bench from here on.
Is Joeger? Giles played only 11 minutes last night when he was playing well and his time went to Ben.

With Bagley back I expect to see a string of DNP-CD from Joeger. I hope I’m wrong.

Last edited:
Part of it is we're running much smaller lineups that makes getting guys open a lot harder. Hard to have good screens to free up guys (whether it's Bogs or someone else) when we're just running one "big" (skinny big). Unless you're the Warriors of course and you can set as many moving picks as you'd like.
Small ball can work if you have great iso players and a big with a large rebounding radius. We have neither of those.

Is Joeger? Giles played only 11 minutes last night when he was playing well and his time went to Ben.

With Bagley back I expect to see a string of DNP-CD from Joeger.
Yeah---for Ben. Harry has worked his way into the lineup. Even coach said. Maybe you should play a wait and see approach instead of your dumpster fire approach. You have been proven incorrect time and time again.

Yeah---for Ben. Harry has worked his way into the lineup. Even coach said. Maybe you should play a wait and see approach instead of your dumpster fire approach. You have been proven incorrect time and time again.
It’s a discussion board. Meaning you discuss what you think what has happened and what you think will happen. As for proven incorrect let’s see:
1) Kings will draft Bagley
2) Joeger comments did come from front office
3) Kings will win around 35 games
4) Kings will get 9 wins in Dec.
5) Kings need to play Giles more (since echoed by Grant).

All in all I would say not so bad.

I d like to point out that it appears our best half court offensive player is one Harry Giles.

It wont be long before we see him in at end of games when we need to slow it down and get a good shot in half court
Not only that he sets better screens for Bogi on the pick and roll and can set a staggered double screen for Buddy with Beli where Beli pops to his favorite spot above the break and Giles rolls to the bucket.

Bogdanovic hero ball killed us, as bad as Fox was Bogdanovic just dribbled the air out of the ball and took ridiculously idiotic shots. Everyone else was great. That's like 5 games we could have had if we played smarter basketball.

Bogie needs to go back to being more of a spot up shooter/ball mover the shot attempts he's been taken this season are just point blank trash selfish shot selection. It's like the more he has the ball the lower his IQ becomes.
I agree to an extent bogdanovic is taking too many hero ball attempts

Kingster

Hall of Famer

I agree. It seems like he thinks nobody else on the floor can handle the ball, only him. He's got to trust his teammates more and move the ball. I noticed this trend very early on when he ignored Bagley when he was open. And while he's losing the dribble-dribble-dribble tendency, he's got to consciously go after some rebounds. He's pretty poor in that area.

dude12

Hall of Famer
You are spot on. Nothing like keyboard coaches to come in after a loss, pick an area where we were maybe deficient and then pick it apart as if Joerger’s decisions cost us the game.

It’s almost as if we get into a position to win against these better teams and Joerger gets no credit and when these other teams who are just better and further along than the Kings clamp down and execute down the stretch, Joerger gets the blame from these keyboard coaches. Effing delusional.

It’s a discussion board. Meaning you discuss what you think what has happened and what you think will happen. As for proven incorrect let’s see:
1) Kings will draft Bagley
2) Joeger comments did come from front office
3) Kings will win around 35 games
4) Kings will get 9 wins in Dec.
5) Kings need to play Giles more (since echoed by Grant).

All in all I would say not so bad.
Any chance you wanna add
6) Kings will make the playoffs

Just to test your luck ;)

We'll be alright.

Kings have had the 4th toughest schedule in the league so far. It gets a whole lot easier from here on out.
I've been thinking about the idea of SOS; isn't the high degree of difficulty of our schedule partly due to our perceived low ranking? It would stand to reason that the worst team would have the toughest schedule because every other team is better than them.

Pretty damn good game played by the Kings. Curry was 10 for 20 on 3 pointers:eek: The W's played their "A" game and all the HOFer's played close to 40 minutes. Not bad for the little team from Sactown. Kings just need more seasoning and the refs to let them get away with all the grabbing and moving screens GSW, Lakers, Nuggets, etc. get away with <lol>

I hate the Warriors so much. Curry celebrating all game as if he won the championship with every made shot? Dude...act like you've been there before. Makes you wish the Bill Laimbeer's of the world were still around to put these guys in their place.

Grant will tell you it's a "good" loss because the Kings took it to the Warriors but IMO it's a bad loss because the Kings played their A+ game for 90% of the game and still couldn't win. That has to be disheartening because it makes it feel like it's impossible to beat these guys.

Buddy was nothing short of amazing for 3 quarters. Congrats to JJ on his career night. Yogi played well. Giles' stats don't look like much but he impacted the game in a positive manner. Great passing, an awesome dunk on Durant and even his defense was pretty solid. His lone foul was on a BS call as well. Really need Fox to heal up. If he doesn't go, the Kings don't go and there isn't much depth behind him.

I've been thinking about the idea of SOS; isn't the high degree of difficulty of our schedule partly due to our perceived low ranking? It would stand to reason that the worst team would have the toughest schedule because every other team is better than them.
Strength of schedule is based solely on other teams records at time of game. I don't believe it factors road vs away (we've had it bad that way too), and back to backs, 3 in 4, etc., which were also bad for us.

I hate the Warriors so much. Curry celebrating all game as if he won the championship with every made shot? Dude...act like you've been there before. Makes you wish the Bill Laimbeer's of the world were still around to put these guys in their place.

Grant will tell you it's a "good" loss because the Kings took it to the Warriors but IMO it's a bad loss because the Kings played their A+ game for 90% of the game and still couldn't win. That has to be disheartening because it makes it feel like it's impossible to beat these guys.

Buddy was nothing short of amazing for 3 quarters. Congrats to JJ on his career night. Yogi played well. Giles' stats don't look like much but he impacted the game in a positive manner. Great passing, an awesome dunk on Durant and even his defense was pretty solid. His lone foul was on a BS call as well. Really need Fox to heal up. If he doesn't go, the Kings don't go and there isn't much depth behind him.
That was the A+ game from the Champs and the refs give them a certain latitude on D the Kings are not getting. It is not so much in the calls made, but all the calls not made.

That was the A+ game from the Champs and the refs give them a certain latitude on D the Kings are not getting. It is not so much in the calls made, but all the calls not made.
I wouldn't say A+ because I think it's clear that GSW can play better defensively than they did most the game. We saw exactly that the last few minutes.

But offensively, they probably played as well as they have all season. A lot of that has to do with the style the KINGS play, which plays right into the W's hands. I'd argue that it actually helped GSW to share the ball more, which is something they hadn't been doing as much as in recent years. They have fallen into the trap of ISO ball. But last night they looked like the W's of old. And if our KINGS hadn't hit 20 threes and only turned the ball over 8 times, they'd have destroyed us.

So from that perspective, it was a very good performance by our team. But the Warriors can play better defensively. Overall, I'd say that was an A-/B+ type of game from them. An A or A+ offensively.