[Game] Kings V Denver - 1/3/19 - 7 PM PST

gunks

Hall of Famer
Rebounding killed us.

And before y'all pile on WCS, look at the boxscore..

Shump.... 1 board
Fox and Buddy.... 2 each

I can keep going, but I won't. This whole team was *** on the boards tonight, just like every night. And it wasn't just Denver's bigs cleaning up misses either. Their guards did work too.

Frustrating weakness that this team needs to address. Bags coming back and a buffer Giles should help, but in the mean time everyone should really step up the effort.

Well, Kings defensive rebounding is a fatal flaw

It’s like a football team with a 14-2 offense and a 2-14 defense. 8-8

And so, the Kings are 19-19. Im confident they can keep that .500 pace through the year but they are too bad defensively for a 15 point lead to vanish in 80 seconds(I don’t care who you’re playing) and then being incapable of rebounding in the rare moments you get a stop

Rebounding killed us.

Shump.... 1 board
Fox and Buddy.... 2 each

I can keep going, but I won't. This whole team was *** on the boards tonight, just like every night. And it wasn't just Denver's bigs cleaning up misses either. Their guards did work too.

Frustrating weakness that this team needs to address. Bags coming back and a buffer Giles should help, but in the mean time everyone should really step up the effort.
Most of those offensive boards, Willie was on the perimeter on a switch and the Nuggets would crash hard either to grab the board or slow down the Kings’ transition.

Teams have figured us out. We can’t rebound and they know it. We are weak down low and you can see teams are absolutely putting all their players in the paint and it’s working out for them. Got crushed on the boards by 20. It’s remarkable we didn’t get blown out. Imagine if the difference was 5-10 instead of 20. We would have won.

Team is .500 in January and I'm seething.

probably need to check myself.

Yea, I'm extremely happy that it's January and the team is still at .500. I mean, really, how many of us predicted their record would be .500 or better come January in spite of a fairly difficult schedule? If we are still at .500 by the end of the season, I think all of us will be very very happy, as the team will have over-achieved.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Rebounding killed us.

Shump.... 1 board
Fox and Buddy.... 2 each

the game is won because the same old story....second chance points. I believe it was 23 to 6 last I checked, unless that changed.

Most of those offensive boards, Willie was on the perimeter on a switch and the Nuggets would crash hard either to grab the board or slow down the Kings’ transition.
Again, why is WCS switching when Jokic and Murray run one of the best pick and rolls... and Fox is more than capable of sliding up top? Either poor decision making on WCS or bad strategy

WCS lost the game. Third game in a row, actually. On offense, the opposing team sags n waits for Willie to make a mistake. Dude won’t go left. Willie, you’re losing tens of millions of dollars, bro. Time to smarten up.

Giles looked gooooood.

Ferrell also gets the game ball for losing. He’s streaky. Started playing too much hero ball.

Jokic is huge in person.

Murray won that game. Doesn’t need a ton of space. Crafty with his footwork. Not an Uber athlete, but just smooth. Think buddy with handles n better movement. Gotta force himleft.

We ****ing need Bags. We’re 3 - 0 over the last few games with him.

Rebounding killed us.

Shump.... 1 board
Fox and Buddy.... 2 each

I do think Willie is severely overlooked by most fans, but the last few games have to be looked at closely and in context. Is this the guy you want to be plunking down 100 million on with the Kings having space and considering they just drafted someone they look at as a franchise big at 2? I think it might be wise for the Kings to really get a good look at Bagley at center with the starters when he comes back. If the Kings regress then Willies value will be easier to define. As it is right now we're seeing Willie attacking more with the ball and truthfully that's really all he's going to give you at that high post. The problem is, it's not looking like something the Kings can rely on. They might be able to with Bagley since his offensive game is his bread and butter. If the Kings are going to refuse to commit to a pick and roll scheme with Willie he might be more valuable on a difference squad.

And as for the guard debate, if the Kings are going to be small on the wing then that usually means your bigs will feast and at the very least their own numbers will be artificially inflated. We don't usually see that with Willie. It's somewhat startling. This was certainly a game where Willie didn't come up big on the boards and it cost them.

We definitely could have played better, but Denver is a better team and as they say, we lost to a team that should have beat us. Going forward as long as we beat the teams we should be able to beat, because we are better, that's something we've never been able to do in years past.

We definitely could have played better, but Denver is a better team and as they say, we lost to a team that should have beat us. Going forward as long as we beat the teams we should be able to beat, because we are better, that's something we've never been able to do in years past.
I disagree, we're better than Denver at home. If this was at Denver, sure. But Denver is average at best on the road.

Fox is tapping Willie on the lower back on switches and points, makes me think it is by design.

They are switching more lately and against a team like the Nuggets it's a tough call since the Kings lack of size on the wing is just that much more magnified. In the end, unlike some of the game, the rebounding was the issue tonight.

I do think Willie is severely overlooked by most fans, but the last few games have to be looked at closely and in context. Is this the guy you want to be plunking down 100 million on with the Kings having space and considering they just drafted someone they look at as a franchise big at 2? I think it might be wise for the Kings to really get a good look at Bagley at center with the starters when he comes back. If the Kings regress then Willies value will be easier to define. As it is right now we're seeing Willie attacking more with the ball and truthfully that's really all he's going to give you at that high post. The problem is, it's not looking like something the Kings can rely on. They might be able to with Bagley since his offensive game is his bread and butter. If the Kings are going to refuse to commit to a pick and roll scheme with Willie he might be more valuable on a difference squad.

And as for the guard debate, if the Kings are going to be small on the wing then that usually means your bigs will feast and at the very least their own numbers will be artificially inflated. We don't usually see that with Willie. It's somewhat startling. This was certainly a game where Willie didn't come up big on the boards and it cost them.
It’s partially mental. After three straight mess ups, WCS asked Joeger to pull him.

Very forthcoming press conference from Joerger. Seemed spot on. I’m so happy with where this team is at from a development and expectation standpoint.

Again, why is WCS switching when Jokic and Murray run one of the best pick and rolls... and Fox is more than capable of sliding up top? Either poor decision making on WCS or bad strategy
Since it happens so often, I have to think it’s strategy. Coach isn’t one to suffer recurring lapses. Besides, it’s clear they like having a big up top to leak out on the break. They’re gambling on getting the rebound, though, and it’s been biting them recently.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Kings got outscored 23-6 in 2nd chance points. If Denver would have just doubled up the Kings in 2nd chance points the Kings win the game.

Joerger said that the size at the wing is a problem in the rebounding area. Also, because the Kings don't have beefy guys in the front court for screens, it makes it a little more difficult for Buddy to get open. Teams are loading up on Buddy.

A reason that we get out rebounded so badly is that sometimes they are so eager to run, their body is 3/4 way leaning to the other side when the shot goes up.

Partially but against big physical teams the Kings bigs are somewhat exposed. Bjelica gets a pass somewhat because he's a stretch big, deal with it, but you can't be both small on the wing and not get boards from either big spot.

I also think it's time for Joerger to commit to Fox, Buddy, and Bogdan for more of the game. They never seem to get any time together until he needs a bail out in the fourth. Part of this not getting over the hump on good teams is a self induced talent deficit. Enough already.

A reason that we get out rebounded so badly is that sometimes they are so eager to run, their body is 3/4 way leaning to the other side when the shot goes up.
As Dr. House says to one of his patients in the commercial I keep seeing for syndicated episodes: "Well, have you thought about, I don't know, NOT doing that?"