Sportsradio chimes in on Grant Napear

I don't know if it's Grant mellowing with age or me, but I'm coming around on the guy. I won't mention the Arena drama history (hint: he was a "company man" through and through, if you get my drift)... and personal beefs he's had with players... and I can let go the perpetual Grand-DMC soap opera.... and... Doug helps....

But I'm really starting to come around. Great article. Very endearing actually, especially all about how he got his start and the stuff about his dad.

I've separated radio Grant from play by play Grant. I enjoy his play by play and I think he and DC have something special going that will only improve over time.

I don't know if it's Grant mellowing with age or me, but I'm coming around on the guy. I won't mention the Arena drama history (hint: he was a "company man" through and through, if you get my drift)... and personal beefs he's had with players... and I can let go the perpetual Grand-DMC soap opera.... and... Doug helps....

But I'm really starting to come around. Great article. Very endearing actually, especially all about how he got his start and the stuff about his dad.
Grant is easier to take when things are going good. When things are going bad, his radio show sometimes comes off as him being a team shill. Defending bad team decisions to the death. I’ve always loved his play by play. I’ve listened to I think every of the local announcers and he’s far and away the best in my opinion. Great excitement in his calls, informative, and honest in how he calls the game. The thing he does best is to tailor his intonation to build excitement. He is a master at naturally matching his call with the flow of the game.

Is he perfect? of course not; however, I think we will definitely miss him when he retires.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Just going off the top of my head, I don't know how anyone can have ever heard Mike Breen, Matt Devlin or Bob Rathbun and still think that Napear is "far and away the best," but there's no accounting for taste, I guess. IMO, Napear's not even the best play-by-play man in Sacramento.

Just going off the top of my head, I don't know how anyone can have ever heard Mike Breen, Matt Devlin or Bob Rathbun and still think that Napear is "far and away the best," but there's no accounting for taste, I guess. IMO, Napear's not even the best play-by-play man in Sacramento.
Good for you....Different strokes for different folks.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Look, I'm sorry, okay. I'm trying to get better, I really am. I'm trying to get to the place where I avoid picking fights on the internet just for the hell of it in 2019. I don't say anything when people say that Napear is their favorite, anymore; de gustibus non est disputandum, right? But, I won't abide someone saying that he's the "best." I simply can't allow a statement like that to go unchallenged, opinion or not. My brain won't let me do it.

He's not the best. Objectively, he's not the best. Subjectively? I mean, I need to hear the argument, because I don't know what subjective criteria you can be measuring him against to say he's the best, where you can't still find others who are better.

Look, I'm sorry, okay. I'm trying to get better, I really am. I'm trying to get to the place where I avoid picking fights on the internet just for the hell of it in 2019. I don't say anything when people say that Napear is their favorite, anymore; de gustibus non est disputandum, right? But, I wpn't abide someone saying that he's the "best." I simply can't allow a statement like that to go unchallenged, opinion or not. My brain won't let me do it.

He's not the best. Objectively, he's not the best. Subjectively? I mean, I need to hear the argument, because I don't know what subjective criteria you can be measuring him against to say he's the best, where you can't still find others who are better.
Actually, Napier is about the best play by play guy in the NBA, hands down and we are LUCKY to have him here entertaining us.

The article seems to be down at the moment but the only praises Grant should ever receive should be for his solid play by play announcing abilities. If the article talks about him as if he is a great man then I can't get on board with that because he simply is not.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Grant is NOT the best pbp in the business. Until he can forget he's also the Jim Rome wannabe and make amends to the Kings players he has wronged over the years, he will always fall short IMHO. He is better than a lot of them I've heard but to me that speaks to their failings more than Grant's excellence.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Actually, Napier is about the best play by play guy in the NBA, hands down and we are LUCKY to have him here entertaining us.
His name is Napear. If you're going to sing his praises, I would think you'd get his name right. Lucky to have him? Yeah, um ... we will definitely agree to disagree on that part. I'll give credit when credit is due, and I do believe Doug has had a great influence on him, but he still tends to forget he's announcing for the home team.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I figured as much. But, like I said, I can't help myself. Napear lives in my head, rent-free; he's at least forty percent of the reason why I refuse to go back to being a Kings fan. I just can't do it, as long as he's associated with the team. When it comes down to it, I hate him more than I ever loved the Kings.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I figured as much. But, like I said, I can't help myself. Napear lives in my head, rent-free; he's at least forty percent of the reason why I refuse to go back to being a Kings fan. I just can't do it, as long as he's associated with the team. When it comes down to it, I hate him more than I ever loved the Kings.
But doesn't Kayte cancel out at least some of that?

You're not a Kings fan because of a PBP guy? That's odd. Very odd.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
You're not a Kings fan because of a PBP guy? That's odd. Very odd.
:rolleyes:

:: sighs ::

No. I did not quit the Kings because of Grant Napear. Just like I did not quit the Kings because they traded DeMarcus Cousins. He just happens to factor heavily into why I'm not interested in "un-quitting" the Kings.

There is no "one reason" why I quit the Kings. My journey to quitting the Kings began in 2011**, when the no account Maloofs first announced that they were seeking to relocate the team to Anaheim. A very large and very vocal majority of Kings Fans were adamant that, if the Kings left Sacramento, that they were done with the team, and maybe even with the NBA altogether. And my reaction to that was, "Well, I'll still root for them." Because my reasons for rooting for the Kings did not (and never have) have anything to do with the team being in Sacramento. Which subsequently led me to ask myself, since I don't root for this team because they're in Sacramento, and I don't root for them because the Kings have any "generational" team culture, which transcends eras and personnel, in the ways that teams like the Pistons, Spurs, Grizzlies or even Nuggets have, and I don't root for this team because of any player in particular, or because of the coach, or the GM, or the ownership... then why was I rooting for the Kings? And, when I realized that I didn't actually have a good answer to any of those questions, it created an existential sports-crisis within me that was the first "straw." And for six years, every day after that was another straw, until I had finally had enough. And, because there was no "one thing" that got me to quit the Kings, there's no one "thing" that can be changed to get me to come back. Like, I didn't quit the Kings because I got sick of the losing, so I'm not going to "un-quit," just because they're winning now. I mentioned Napear specifically because some "things" bother me way more than other "things," and Napear happens to bother me enough that too many other "things" about the Kings would have to be completely overhauled in order for me to "un-quit" the team, as long as he's still around.

As far as KingsFans.com goes, that's another matter, entirely. I helped "build" this place. Between the KingsFans.com blog that was originally owned by @Glenn that I occasionally contributed to, and which he subsequently sold to @Revrag, to merge with Sachoops.com, all the way through to the current incarnation of KF.com, I have about two decades of sweat equity here. KingsFans.com is my online "home"; it's my baseline. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's pretty much (0,0,0,0) on the four-dimensional Cartesian graph of my online identity. I have an emotional attachment to KingsFans.com that I've never had to the Sacramento Kings. So, I'm never leaving this place, even if I never root for the Kings again.

** And, actually, if we're going to keep it a buck, my divorce from the Kings began even earlier than that: it really began in 2009, when the carpetbagging Maloofs threw the Monarchs under the bus to save money, in a failed attempt to try and make the Kings relevant again.

:rolleyes:

:: sighs ::

No. I did not quit the Kings because of Grant Napear. Just like I did not quit the Kings because they traded DeMarcus Cousins. He just happens to factor heavily into why I'm not interested in "un-quitting" the Kings.

There is no "one reason" why I quit the Kings. My journey to quitting the Kings began in 2011**, when the no account Maloofs first announced that they were seeking to relocate the team to Anaheim. A very large and very vocal majority of Kings Fans were adamant that, if the Kings left Sacramento, that they were done with the team, and maybe even with the NBA altogether. And my reaction to that was, "Well, I'll still root for them." Because my reasons for rooting for the Kings did not (and never have) have anything to do with the team being in Sacramento. Which subsequently led me to ask myself, since I don't root for this team because they're in Sacramento, and I don't root for them because the Kings have any "generational" team culture, which transcends eras and personnel, in the ways that teams like the Pistons, Spurs, Grizzlies or even Nuggets have, and I don't root for this team because of any player in particular, or because of the coach, or the GM, or the ownership... then why was I rooting for the Kings? And, when I realized that I didn't actually have a good answer to any of those questions, it created an existential sports-crisis within me that was the first "straw." And for six years, every day after that was another straw, until I had finally had enough. And, because there was no "one thing" that got me to quit the Kings, there's no one "thing" that can be changed to get me to come back. Like, I didn't quit the Kings because I got sick of the losing, so I'm not going to "un-quit," just because they're winning now. I mentioned Napear specifically because some "things" bother me way more than other "things," and Napear happens to bother me enough that too many other "things" about the Kings would have to be completely overhauled in order for me to "un-quit" the team, as long as he's still around.

As far as KingsFans.com goes, that's another matter, entirely. I helped "build" this place. Between the KingsFans.com blog that was originally owned by @Glenn that I occasionally contributed to, and which he subsequently sold to @Revrag, to merge with Sachoops.com, all the way through to the current incarnation of KF.com, I have about two decades of sweat equity here. KingsFans.com is my online "home"; it's my baseline. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's pretty much (0,0,0,0) on the four-dimensional Cartesian graph of my online identity. I have an emotional attachment to KingsFans.com that I've never had to the Sacramento Kings. So, I'm never leaving this place, even if I never root for the Kings again.

** And, actually, if we're going to keep it a buck, my divorce from the Kings began even earlier than that: it really began in 2009, when the carpetbagging Maloofs threw the Monarchs under the bus to save money, in a failed attempt to try and make the Kings relevant again.
Kinda like my recent exciting from fandom of the 49ers following the attempted trading of Harbaugh following a superbowl appearance after years of suckage