Fox/Bogi works. Why not Fox/Luka? (split)

dude12

Hall of Famer
If Buddy and Bogdan both sustain their play, then I think things will get interesting in the offseason. Both players are starters in the NBA, but as of right now, it's hard for the Kings to justify starting both players because neither can defend SFs. This winning could help convince Bogdan that coming off the bench is best, but let's be honest, he's played too good to be a 6th man.
But so did Manu

It's pretty easy to forget because he's been injured but it's not like we were offered Doncic and said "No thanks, we don't need a pick this year".

We have a pair who are going to be a dynamic duo.

Ginobli was a starter quality of player too.

There is absolutely no reason why you can't have 6 or 7 players on your team that are starters on other teams and even potential all stars. When you have an assassin coming off the bench, that allows you to keep you offensive pressure on the entire game. I think there's a cultural thing at play we don't see, and Vlade is at the center of it. Vlade is like a god in Serbia. Bogi being recruited by him and coming over here is not typical NBA business. Bogi will have loyalty to Vlade and our system and whatever we need him to do, far beyond what he would have to another team. He wants to help Vlade in his mission to bring a championship to Sac, and if that means winning a few 6th man awards along the way, that, imo, is absolutely no problem.

For the record I think Nemenja would be willing to come off the bench for this team too, long term. And I want that.
Ginoboli won 3 rings in his first 5 years which played a giagantic factor in why he was willing to be their 6th man. I don't think we'll need to win a ring for Bogdan to be satisfied in the role, but we'd need to be legitimate playoff contenders. We have 1 more year to prove that to Bogdan. One reason why he came over is because of Cousins. He said it himself. He also said he came over to the NBA to win. He's not going to waste any of his prime years as a 6th man on a fringe playoff team.

With all of this being said, I think we can be legitimate playoff contenders next year with the right FA acquisitions.

Entity

Hall of Famer
We do realize here that the draft is over and almost half a season has been played? I’m not understanding the point. Is there a trade with Dallas coming?

Is there a quote from Manu on that or just speculation? If we are speculating, then I’ll say because it’s the Spurs and he loved being a part of the team, he did what the team needed.
Nope no quote, but winning cures all. NBA players all have egos that have allowed them to make it here in the first place. If you're good enough to be a starter, there's no reason why you should be coming off the bench for a fringe playoff team.

I personally doubt Manu would've stayed in SA for as long as he did unless they were winning rings.

Regarding Bogi...it seems other basketball cultures don’t place the ridiculous premium on starting that US basketball culture does. Finishing is what matters, and having an important role to play. Bogi is as big of a key to future success as nearly everyone given that he runs the second unit and then closes games. It is a massively important role, and the very same role Manu had. But, in regards to Manu, he’s the one guy the Spurs never asked to take a hometown discount and was probably the only one of their guys that was a little overpaid over the course of his career. They also stayed out of his business regarding the national team.

With Bogi, I think it comes down to the same type of deal Manu had—never even question his money, and give him carte blanche with the national team.

Ginoboli won 3 rings in his first 5 years which played a giagantic factor in why he was willing to be their 6th man. I don't think we'll need to win a ring for Bogdan to be satisfied in the role, but we'd need to be legitimate playoff contenders. We have 1 more year to prove that to Bogdan. One reason why he came over is because of Cousins. He said it himself. He also said he came over to the NBA to win. He's not going to waste any of his prime years as a 6th man on a fringe playoff team.

With all of this being said, I think we can be legitimate playoff contenders next year with the right FA acquisitions.
Yours is a slightly more hardlined version of my opinion, but basic structure I agree with 100%. The trajectory of this team would indicate a high likelihood of Bogdan settling in to the role, and I'm extremely optimistic on our trajectory.

Here is the beautiful thing about Bogdan's contract, Vlade structured it at 3 years, so Bogdan would be a restricted free agent after next year. If we are contending and we want to keep Bogdan at all costs, all we have to do is match any offer.

Vlade has set up the salary cap beautifully thus far. We should be able to have cap space to re-sign all of our young stars, so long as we don't do any dumb long term albatross contracts the next few summers.

Here is the beautiful thing about Bogdan's contract, Vlade structured it at 3 years, so Bogdan would be a restricted free agent after next year. If we are contending and we want to keep Bogdan at all costs, all we have to do is match any offer.

Vlade has set up the salary cap beautifully thus far. We should be able to have cap space to re-sign all of our young stars, so long as we don't do any long term albatross contracts the next few summers.
Buddy and Bogdan are FAs at the same time. Vlade has made it clear that he only wants players who want to be here... If Buddy and Bogdan ever displayed any type of displeasure, I could see Vlade doing them a favor and shipping them out for the right price. I think this could be avoidable if the Kings are contending in the playoffs in the year of their FA. Winning keeps everyone happy.

However, it's still 1 year away, but it's something that the Kings will need to legitimately consider. Another scenario could be desperate teams offering both Buddy and Bogdan near-max contracts. Do we match both? Could we afford to pay $20m/yr for a player to come off the bench?

I would like to believe that Bogi would still be in Europe if not for Vlade and company and having him included in a deal was in one of those plans to build a team that did not totally depend upon the draft.

From basically having a ok team with Rudy and Cousins and stuck with low 30 win teams Vlade had to plan how to turn it around from scratch before Cousins contract made it impossible to improve.

We don’t throw away the combination of Fox, Buddy, Bogi and our backcourt strength. The kings have some assets and cap to make a decent trade for a wing or another big.
Trading for a very good player is key as there will be some teams before the deadline that need to improve for the playoffs or to structure themselves to have space for free agency.