Trade Deadline Target; Cory Joseph

Whaddya think? The deadline is 7 weeks away!

He's 27 and expiring, there's a rumor that the Pacers will move Joseph or Collison for the right price.

.384 from 3 so far this season, excellent rebounder for his position, he's got long arms and a massive set of hands, he's very good defensively, better than 3:1 AST:TO ratio right now.

Upgrade at backup PG, he's plenty capable of playing off the ball too. If the audition goes well it could give us an advantage at signing him this offseason too.

Games like yesterday against OKC show how weak we are without Bogdan, Shump, and Bagley.
I realize you see Joseph as an upgrade backup PG and I agree. Mason and Yogi don't instil much confidence. Still I would rather focus on a move that brought us a SF we could all get excited about. No room for injuries and a lot of back to backs doesn't bode well for the Kings looking to achieve the playoffs.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Whaddya think? The deadline is 7 weeks away!

He's 27 and expiring, there's a rumor that the Pacers will move Joseph or Collison for the right price.

.384 from 3 so far this season, excellent rebounder for his position, he's got long arms and a massive set of hands, he's very good defensively, better than 3:1 AST:TO ratio right now.

Upgrade at backup PG, he's plenty capable of playing off the ball too. If the audition goes well it could give us an advantage at signing him this offseason too.
Here's the thing, as you stated both players will be unrestricted freeagents at years end. We can just sign them without giving up anything but money. That goes for the player I really want from Indiana, Bogdanovic. We have no guarantee that we would have any advantage signing them by trading for any of them now. Plus, not sure why Indiana, who has been playing well would want to mess with a chemistry change right now. I'd rather wait till the off season and see if we can nab Bogdanovic or Joseph.

Good player, but not a fit. Kings need a jumbo 3. Not another 2, who can play against smaller 3s.
Another 2?

The only reason the Kings make this trade is to UPGRADE THE BACKUP PG spot, thats the whole idea here...

Did you see the last game the Kings played the Pacers? He had 8 assists off the bench...

Here's the thing, as you stated both players will be unrestricted freeagents at years end. We can just sign them without giving up anything but money. That goes for the player I really want from Indiana, Bogdanovic. We have no guarantee that we would have any advantage signing them by trading for any of them now. Plus, not sure why Indiana, who has been playing well would want to mess with a chemistry change right now. I'd rather wait till the off season and see if we can nab Bogdanovic or Joseph.
The idea here is the Kings are in win-now mode and want to strengthen this years rotation for a playoff push....

If you don't think Cory Joseph is a significant upgrade from Yogi and Mason it's an easy no. One of Yogi or Mason would be included in the deal I guess, maybe several 2nd rd picks? I was thinking Skal could be the big chip for this move, It's extremely unlikely Yogi or Mason would beat out the young Holiday brother for their backup spot....

If you do think Joseph is a big upgrade though, and I most certainly do, it's interesting.

I'm expecting several moves from the Kings to gear up for a coming playoff push at the deadline, and they'll also have the deadweight for sale hoping to fish up a draftpick... Joseph would be a player I'd be very excited to have aboard, the Kings are young and relatively weak to playoff opponents, Joseph is extremely strong at PG. He's certainly no speed demon but he can play fast I believe.

It's absurd the Kings have players like Marvin and Bogdan coming off the bench, I can't help but think an upgrade at the backup PG spot could potentially do wonders for that unit.

Another 2?

The only reason the Kings make this trade is to UPGRADE THE BACKUP PG spot, thats the whole idea here...

Did you see the last game the Kings played the Pacers? He had 8 assists off the bench...
Yea, I thought he was a 1, but read your reasoning on a different thread that he would upgrade the 3 spot--but think you were saying it would allow Bogie/Buddy/Shump to focus more on the 3.

I'm not on the same page as you. I don't think the back up PG spot is a glaring hole--Bogie operates great from there and Ferrell/Mason are serviceable.

Yea, I thought he was a 1, but read your reasoning on a different thread that he would upgrade the 3 spot--but think you were saying it would allow Bogie/Buddy/Shump to focus more on the 3.

I'm not on the same page as you. I don't think the back up PG spot is a glaring hole--Bogie operates great from there and Ferrell/Mason are serviceable.
These 14 Kings; Shumpert, Bogdan, Koufos, Bagley, Bjelly, Fox, WCS, Hield, Ferrell, JJ, Giles, Skal, Mason, Troy Williams make a combined $68,500,000....

That's an absurdly low # in 2018-2019........... especially for a team attempting to make the playoffs in the west... reinforcements are on their way or there's penny pinching going on.

Yogi and Mason are potentially good 3rd string PG's, Cory Joseph is a legit good backup PG and has been for a while now..

This would be a great move...depending on which prospect it cost us. Personally, I might still make a run at Fultz instead of Joseph, but using the same rationale. Backup PG is, in fact, a glaring hole. What we need is a big guard that can defend really well, and keep the offense running. Bogi does a great job of half of that, but I’m starting to wonder if the workload is contributing to his injuries/dip in form. But, yeah, games like last night...it would be great to have a backup PG to throw at a flaming hot Conley and play him a little physically.

Pacers have only 58M committed next year. I think they will be able to retain their core quite easily. While it's certainly possible with lot of teams having space this summer, I don't expect a huge bidding war for Joseph and Bogdanovich, and I think Pacers will overpay a little if some other team makes a run at them.

That said, while I like him, I don't think we can get him now either. They don't need cap relief, the one thing only we can offer. While they may be willing to move someone to get more long term assets, what can we offer that improves them now or later? We won't be giving one of our main guys for Joseph.