More Williams Joerger drama

It’s not normal behavior for an assistant GM to feel he has the authority to make waves like this. I just can’t help but question the power structure going on.

Feel sorry for Dave though if there is true doubt about his job though, through no fault of his own.

The problem as I saw it for Dave in the summer was I thought he was inextricably linked to Vlade, because Vivek would not want another coach before GM situation after recent history. I felt/feel Vlade was on more loose ground than Dave
Dude. Let the Doncic crap go. That's not going to be the reason Vlade might lose his job.

It's funny how winning quiets the noise and rumors surrounding the Kings.

I like how Vlade has handled these rumors "In house", for the most part.

I think the dynamics of the front office is that Brandon Williams is needed for the day-to-day operations. Williams may be very important to get the details done on any deals or transactions. But I think Vlade is still the ultimate decision maker, which is why Joeger is still coach.

I think as long as Vlade has the final say in matters, coach Joeger will be safe. Brandon Williams may have his preferences in coaches, but he's not the GM and he doesn't have that power to decide (which is Great news!). As long as he stays the course, I think the Kings will be able to weather the storm.

On to a playoff march, my friends!!!;)

Last edited:
When I heard this I was reluctant to post it in the game thread lol. At the time it sounded like Joerger wanted Doncic. But looking at the quote now, maybe he meant unfortunately as in, we might lose to the Mavs. If I don't know then I can't care XD
I tend to agree. The comments were made before the game, which changes the context for me. He likely meant it was unfortunate for us in the sense that we were just about to face him.

Nice comments from him though.

i hope this is the case as well. and not for FO's sake but for Bagley's sake. Bagley is his rookie to groom and I don't think he would disparage him like that.
I think coach was clearly just stating the obvious....there were some leading up to the draft that thought Luka had a limited ceiling. He has taken the league by storm and so I think coach is just saying that’s not the case and there’s another tough guy to play against. I’ve seen coach say too many great things about Marvin, with a sly smile on his face like he knows he’s got something special, to think he’s somehow taking a shot at the draft day decision.

More from ESPN's Dallas writer.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...e-ceiling-dallas-mavericks-rookie-luka-doncic

Joerger's comments about Doncic were particularly eyebrow-raising due to well-chronicled friction between the coach and the Kings' front office despite Sacramento's encouraging start with a young core featuring point guard De'Aaron Fox, shooting guard Buddy Hield and center Willie Cauley-Stein.
Doncic, the reigning Western Conference Rookie of the Month, said that at one point he expected to be drafted by Sacramento. He met with a Kings contingent in Madrid, where he played professionally the previous four seasons, before the draft.
"They needed a big guy, so it was just a better fit for him," Doncic said diplomatically of the Kings drafting Bagley.

The key phrase is "unfortunately for us." Luka isn't reaching that ceiling tonight, so he wasn't talking about tonights game. But I guess we're all entitled to our interpretation.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
The key phrase is "unfortunately for us." Luka isn't reaching that ceiling tonight, so he wasn't talking about tonights game. But I guess we're all entitled to our interpretation.
I think some are so intent on seeing what they want to see they leave no room for the interpretation that is much more logical and in character for those involved.

Indeed, it is "unfortunate" because the Kings will be playing against the Mavs for years, not just tonight. But hey, assume what you want. Kings won, that's what matters. It isn't worth arguing over.

I think some are so intent on seeing what they want to see they leave no room for the interpretation that is much more logical and in character for those involved.

Indeed, it is "unfortunate" because the Kings will be playing against the Mavs for years, not just tonight. But hey, assume what you want. Kings won, that's what matters. It isn't worth arguing over.
If we are still debating this in a few years I’m going to lose my lunch. at some point we will move on, hopefully by end of year when we are playing in the first round. First game ever against the mavs and it’s fun to imagine what if.

Joerger saying "unfortunately for us" is just about the last thing I wanted to hear coming out of his mouth. That screans disagreement with management to me. Ugh.

EDIT: Also, can you imagine how that comment might make Bagley feel? Not good.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Joerger saying "unfortunately for us" is just about the last thing I wanted to hear coming out of his mouth. That screans disagreement with management to me. Ugh.

That comment had NOTHING to do with Bagley. It doesn't scream "disagreement with management". It was made right before the game and is only marginally different than other comments other coaches have made in similar situations. Some of you really need to find a way to avoid getting drawn into the social media drama. It's almost like you're hoping something will go wrong. The Kings CAN have nice things. ;)

I don't think it's a shot. I think you're reading way too much into an innocuous comment.
Oh no, it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that we were about to play the Mavs, or that players are more likely to want to play for coaches in the future who flatter them. I'm certain that Joerger was throwing shade at Marvin, throwing the entire team under the bus, and angling for a job with the Timberwolves because Vlade's about to be fired any moment! You heard it here, folks, I finally beat Williams to the punch! :p

Oh no, it couldn't have anything to do with the fact that we were about to play the Mavs, or that players are more likely to want to play for coaches in the future who flatter them. I'm certain that Joerger was throwing shade at Marvin, throwing the entire team under the bus, and angling for a job with the Timberwolves because Vlade's about to be fired any moment! You heard it here, folks, I finally beat Williams to the punch! :p
I actually heard that coach kicked marvin in the knee after the game when he wasn't looking, just to keep him out of the lineup a little longer, marginalizing his rookie season stats to build up the Luka narrative. SMH....

I think the narrative and the blurb is taken way out of context. It's amazing how ESPN doesn't quote the questions, when posting the Coaches responses.

I'm sure coach Joeger was asked directly about what he thought about Doncic as a player, which he obviously complemented him, as he should. I'm also rather positive that the follow up question was along the lines of, "Was there a reason why you guys passed over Doncic", which Joeger gave an honest answer to.

It's pretty obvious (since we picked Bagley) that the Kings F.O. felt that Bagley had the "higher ceiling", which Bagley still might. It's also not hard to see that Bagley has an ultra high ceiling, as does Doncic. Still, way to early to tell who will ultimately be the better ball player in 3 years. And we should be drafting based on the eventual finished product, not just the rookie year.

I think the media is trying to twist a direct question and honest answer by Joeger into the Kings are dysfunctional narrative.

Last edited: