Harry Giles thread back on track ;)

Harry's NBA Ceiling

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I remember when Harry was getting a good run in the Warriors game, he and Bagley were taking it to the Warriors. He can play, no question about it. I tend to get this notion that he is afraid to use his athleticism constantly due to the psychological thought of hurting his knee again. He has all the athletic ability that he was known for, it's really mental with him in that aspect.

I'd say we need Bagley to bulk up without offsetting his quickness and athleticism so he can be our long term 5.

End of the day that is our future for me. WCS is a stopgap and Giles development as a PF necessary for us to fully achieve our potential

Hopefully we see Giles more tonight.

Kings have one of the highest drops in the league in 3 point shooting percentage on the second night of back to backs.

2 Days Rest: 40.9%
1 Days Rest: 41.6%
0 Days Rest: 32.5%

That suggests DJ isn’t playing enough players for the pace he wants to play. In this game against the Cavs, Bjelica and Fox should get lots of rest from Mason and Giles. I would also like to see Bogi get some rest at the point with Mason or Yogi.

Hopefully we see Giles more tonight.

Kings have one of the highest drops in the league in 3 point shooting percentage on the second night of back to backs.

2 Days Rest: 40.9%
1 Days Rest: 41.6%
0 Days Rest: 32.5%

That suggests DJ isn’t playing enough players for the pace he wants to play. In this game against the Cavs, Bjelica and Fox should get lots of rest from Mason and Giles. I would also like to see Bogi get some rest at the point with Mason or Yogi.
Thanks for the info. Great post!

I'd say we need Bagley to bulk up without offsetting his quickness and athleticism so he can be our long term 5.

End of the day that is our future for me. WCS is a stopgap and Giles development as a PF necessary for us to fully achieve our potential
I wonder why the coaching staff keeps having Giles play the 5 though. Makes me think they have bigger plans for Bagley.

I wonder why the coaching staff keeps having Giles play the 5 though. Makes me think they have bigger plans for Bagley.
Most likely. The above would be my plan but perhaps they rather he stay slender and switch between the PF and SF positions.

Honestly if he can bulk up and maintain his quickness then he literally can be a Giannis type and play anywhere but more specifically SF - C which is what i think is the FO's vision. Im just not getting that carried away when we have Giles who i hope can produce at a high level in time

Most likely. The above would be my plan but perhaps they rather he stay slender and switch between the PF and SF positions.

Honestly if he can bulk up and maintain his quickness then he literally can be a Giannis type and play anywhere but more specifically SF - C which is what i think is the FO's vision. Im just not getting that carried away when we have Giles who i hope can produce at a high level in time
You had me at Giannis...

lol no he can’t he’d get eaten alive by mediocre SFs

Not putting unnecessary minutes on potentially bad knees. That’s my story and I’m going to choose to believe it.
This is my feeling as well. I'm 100% ok with this being Giles' actual "rookie" year. There is just simply zero reason to rush anything about this kid. Kings know what they have, we're not in danger of that.

Just read on CBS power rankings that Giles had the worst defensive field goal percentage in nba.

His advanced stats all around point to eye test that he is raw, to say the least.

Joerger wants to win, can’t fault him except in blow out situations

Just read on CBS power rankings that Giles had the worst defensive field goal percentage in nba.

His advanced stats all around point to eye test that he is raw, to say the least.

Joerger wants to win, can’t fault him except in blow out situations
I choose to believe that he just doesn't know how to guard that position yet. He hasn't had much playing time against real compilation. So I reject such stats as that against the Prodigy himself. He will learn and when he does, woooow...I said wooow, he will set the NBA world on fire who will line up to kiss his most beautiful feet!

I choose to believe that he just doesn't know how to guard that position yet. He hasn't had much playing time against real compilation. So I reject such stats as that against the Prodigy himself. He will learn and when he does, woooow...I said wooow, he will set the NBA world on fire who will line up to kiss his most beautiful feet!
Heard some interesting data on RealGm about the Kings stats when and when not playing Bjelica. Having a power forward who can space the floor and pass the ball is important. I think Giles can be that guy and I hope he gets more chances to take shots from range. He needs to be the player that takes over for Bjelica.

So raise your hand if you think HG has been more a defensive liability on the court.

Looking at his RPM for offensive and defense is -2.82 and -.22 respectively.

Bagley btw is -2.18 and -2.13.

Bjelica is team best at 1.33 and 2.19

Heard some interesting data on RealGm about the Kings stats when and when not playing Bjelica. Having a power forward who can space the floor and pass the ball is important. I think Giles can be that guy and I hope he gets more chances to take shots from range. He needs to be the player that takes over for Bjelica.
I agree. I think MBIII's rebounding ability will be better utilised with him playing the 5 in our system. Giles' passing, his shooting etc can work at the four.

So raise your hand if you think HG has been more a defensive liability on the court.

Looking at his RPM for offensive and defense is -2.82 and -.22 respectively.

Bagley btw is -2.18 and -2.13.

Bjelica is team best at 1.33 and 2.19
I will raise my hand but if you want to progress you have to find 5-10 minutes a game for him. Keeping his butt on the bench is not going to develop him.

Not to mention at our pace guys need rest.

I'm not looking at any stats when I say this, but Giles has been a different player since he had his day-outing in Stockton. So I would suggest, if you want to find meaningful stats on Giles, you ignore everything that came before Stockton. After that, you include the good and the bad. If you do this, I'm pretty sure Giles should be getting some regular minutes. Not occasional garbage time minutes. But eventually he'll get his chance, and hopefully he'll be ready to take advantage of it. It's just hard to put him ahead of Kosta right now, since Kosta is a strong defender and rebounder and doesn't hurt you with mistakes.

I'm not looking at any stats when I say this, but Giles has been a different player since he had his day-outing in Stockton. So I would suggest, if you want to find meaningful stats on Giles, you ignore everything that came before Stockton. After that, you include the good and the bad. If you do this, I'm pretty sure Giles should be getting some regular minutes. Not occasional garbage time minutes. But eventually he'll get his chance, and hopefully he'll be ready to take advantage of it. It's just hard to put him ahead of Kosta right now, since Kosta is a strong defender and rebounder and doesn't hurt you with mistakes.
Giles run in Stockton was good for him. If he is not getting the PT on the Kings, they should send him down to Stockton to get some much needed playing time.

Right now, he needs to get as much burn as possible and he is not going to get that with the big league club right now. Maybe have him in Stockton on the Kings off days, so he can play in the Stockton games. When the Kings have a game, bring him back up.

I would say the stats are sketchy in all games.

Many players would be pissed if their coach put them in the game with 1:09 left like Joeger did. At that point, you have no time to do anything but divide your per game stats by one more game. Joeger has done that to Giles a couple times.

Giles is kind of the forgotten man because a lot of guys are playing well. It is okay to bring him along slowly so he can get over his mental trauma of being injured twice. Bad injuries create PTSD. It takes time to get over it. Some players never do. Hayward's injury last year is a good example.

AWESOME! He deserves to get minutes on a nightly business. I'm not giving up on this kid. His time WILL come!
Nor are the Kings :)

Will be interesting to see if he gets called back soon, particularly when we play the Pelicans and their big front line. In his and Bagley's absence, some of the 4th big minutes (if we play the 4th big, as we have done when Bagley was available) might go to Skal. I do have hopes for them both, and would like them both to see regular minutes, if not with the main team, then at Stockton.

Status
Not open for further replies.