Justin Jackson

Don't look now but Justin Jackson is one of the hottest shooters on the team. After an atrocious October, in his last 14 games he is shooting:

46.9% 3pt
52.4% FG

I agree he looked shaky and a bit lost at times, his confidence was clearly rattled, but the young man has really pulled himself out of it and it's time we take him out of the fan doghouse. I really like what I've seen from him especially in the last 5 games or so. He's an unselfish player, has a good attitude, could very much be a part of our future as a solid rotation player, if not more. He is part of our rapidly improving young core, and it's not impossible that in a year or two he becomes a glue guy 3 and D SF. At 6'8", he has the physical tools, another offseason or two in the weight room and you never know... Say something nice about Justin.

Last edited:
Good Guy and team mate, made his shots recently and his D is better. If the improvement continues he could get a nice second contract.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
if you scroll down a bit more, there is a Justin Jackson thread created all ready. He's playing with more aggression and confidence, maybe it was the opposition. Too small of a sample size, he needs to play with the same attitude regardless of minutes or opponents.

Don't look now but Justin Jackson is one of the hottest shooters on the team. After an atrocious October, in his last 14 games he is shooting:

46.9% 3pt
52.4% FG

I agree he looked shaky and a bit lost at times, his confidence was clearly rattled, but the young man has really pulled himself out of it and it's time we take him out of the fan doghouse. I really like what I've seen from him especially in the last 5 games or so. He's an unselfish player, has a good attitude, could very much be a part of our future as a solid rotation player, if not more. He is part of our rapidly improving young core, and it's not impossible that in a year or two he becomes a glue guy 3 and D SF. At 6'8", he has the physical tools, another offseason or two in the weight room and you never know... Say something nice about Justin.
Liking this post is about all I can muster in saying something nice about JJ.

I don't like players who don't give you anything when their shot is not going in. That's Jackson. Williams does not have to make shots to have an impact. So who do I trust? That's easy. Troy can be a Robert Covington level player. He's that good! How much better is Josh Jackson than Troy Williams, if at all? The Suns spent the #4 pick on last years draft on Jackson and we found a player who projects to be as good or better. That's something to get excited about more so than the recent shooting touch of Jackson.

Jacksons confidence and comfort is growing. You can see it. Same with Giles. Giles has more explosiveness and swagger than the first 5 games, a disastrous debut. Similarly Jackson has emerged from the abyss. I want to see Jackson keep it up. Why? So we can raise his trade value and dump him for Otto Porter. Keep netting those open looks off the D-Fox and Boggy wizardry so we can fool a team into taking you. Joerger decided to take Mason and Yogi out of the rotation to free up minutes for Troy. I like it. I like Mason but there are only so many minutes. I would have less patience for Jackson if he was getting minutes at the expense of Williams, a true difference maker.

When the season started, we had three budding star players. The pundits ignored this or didn't see it blinded by their disdain and bias. Fox and Buddy were emerging stars. Boggy was the best overall player on the team. All we needed to do to become a serious playoff contender was find complementary players around this trio. Like I said two summers ago we needed two of three frontcourt positions to be respectably manned. We needed competitiveness there. Last season we were 0 for 3. Willie failed us. Z-Bo failed us and the coach failed us for leaning on him so heavily. Vince and Jackson failed us at the three, we were mostly non-competitiveness a la the Suns on 2018, and Brandon went new coaching seeking.

The pleasant surprise this year is not Jackson, it is Shump and Williams. Those guys were on no one's radar when the season began. Ben was as viable of a wing candidate. The frontline has been respectably held down at two of three positions, with MB3 and Bjelica taking turns excelling at the 4, and two unexpected guys showing their wares at the 3. With our backcourt advantage and respectability elsewhere, we have the makings of a playoff team. We can sustain and build on our .500 record. Even with his mini-surge Jackson has been irrelevant to this equation.

I loved what Willie did last night fronting the post and setting the tone in the first quarter. Where has this been for the last 4 years? Asking Willie to front the post forces him to try, to become engaged, to fight, to use his quickness ( a strength) instead of his bulk ( a weakness). More of this please. Did the coaches just think of this strategy? Were they negligent in not introducing this strategy sooner? Just like I am not going to buy into one game of defensive impact, I am not going to buy into Jackson's "growth" over a small sample size. Talk to me in 10-20 games and we can reassess.

There is one last variable to factor. Confidence is contagious. Boggy knows he can slice and dice the opponent. Like Buddy he thinks every shot is going in. D-Fox knows he hound most PGs defensively and go by them to the cup too. Shump has some irrational and rational confidence about him. Teammates can feed off this. It is how LeBron has buoyed the Lakers. He actually coasts a lot defensively but his presence out there lifts the team to another gear when they need it. I think Boggy can have a similar effect as much as anyone, D-Fox and Buddy to lesser degrees. When we see these second tier guys have their moments to shine, Jackson and Giles, I attribute part of it to overall growing sense of confidence trickling down from our best players.

But don't get fooled into thinking Jackson is the formidable force and "Super Sub". He's made open shots recently. It's about friggin time. Keep it up, Jackson, keep it up Willie, your plane tickets to Washington may depend on it.

Good player. In my view he always has been. His stats with the Kings never have been good, not last year nor this year. He plays soundly and consistently but has not produced points. Stick with him, I believe we will be better off if we give him more minutes.

So those in the know what do the coaches think of him?
I know his minutes have been reduced and he no longer is starting so is it he shows good in practice or he plays a position of need?

I have no idea how his career will turn out but as of this moment the best I can see is a roll player is short stints.

So those in the know what do the coaches think of him?
I know his minutes have been reduced and he no longer is starting so is it he shows good in practice or he plays a position of need?

I have no idea how his career will turn out but as of this moment the best I can see is a roll player is short stints.
There are people "in the know" here? I assume people think and comment on what they perceive. Maybe I am out of the loop Damn it, some one get me in! :)

I have been saying (on another site) that I feel that JJAX has been showing very well in practice, and I bet really great with Giles. The reason why I thi k he would play great with Giles is that JJax cuts good and hard, and Giles love to hit people on cuts off the high post. Also Giles I bet gets a lot of time to play in practice (Cuz we all know he only gets 5 mins a game max)

Doing better. Always had BBIQ, natural length/athleticism and a good kid who would put in the work, just lacked confidence and muscle.

He has stiff competition though, didn’t realize how well Williams was playing

Doing better. Always had BBIQ, natural length/athleticism and a good kid who would put in the work, just lacked confidence and muscle.

He has stiff competition though, didn’t realize how well Williams was playing
I've liked Williams as a prospect for some time now, before he was here.

He's got fire and grit you either have or don't.

He's also a better athlete.

If he could tone down the errors when he gambles a little bit and keeps hitting the 3 I'm going to wager on him.

Both Jackson and Williams have potential, but I don’t look at either one of them and think that’s our starting SF next year. So as long as nobody’s shooting dips below 40%, I’m good with using them as Joerger has been using them.

This is most excellent news... The kid can shoot, he's got a deft touch, never questioned that, if he's gonna settle in it'll pay big dividends for the Kings.

Regardless of miss or make, he's making quick reads offensively.

Justin Jackson can hold significant value to this team, considerably above what his rookie deal pay is.

Shump is a really good stop gap at SF. Good glue guy and has championship experience.

That being said, I think we need a full sized SF to really get to next level in the Western Conference, but we don't need that right now. We can be patient and try to get one this off season or hope JJ or Williams develops.

I would definitely try to resign Shump this off season to be our back up SF/SG next season.

Eventually, we will need either JJ or Williams to really step up or trade for a full sized starter at SF, if we are going to take the next step to a solid playoff contender. Shump is really a shooting guard and a bit too small to sucessfully defend LeBrons and Durant in the Western Conference Playoffs.

That being said, I think we need a full sized SF to really get to next level in the Western Conference, but we don't need that right now. We can be patient and try to get one this off season or hope JJ or Williams develops.
This is my position too. No need to be in a rush or willing to give up any key pieces of the current core. Be patient, keep winning and see how things play out in the offseason. This team isn't in position to compete for much more than making a playoff appearance, which isn't the end goal.