Kings Interested In Trading For Otto Porter

Reading the SBnation Wizards thread on this rumor and mainly it’s Willie but they throw Buddy’s name out there with such disdain as if he would be poor compensation for Porter. Made me laugh at how some fans overvalue their players or write off players of others. The numbers don’t look good for Otto there. Buddy(The SG) rebounds a little better and has scored a lot better. Luckily, we blame the Wizards.

A few seem to grasp that all of their top 3 is leaving on a salary dump one way or the other. Wizards have a lot of work to do before they can even start a rebuild
Except us. We are ready to give up multiple young players for the right to overpay Porter and get the Wiz out of luxury tax hell at the same time.

The Kings probably won't sign anyone in the offseason that comes close to Otto's talent level. The fact is that we have a HUGE need for a competent SF, and Otto would fill that need. You can't keep going into every offseason with buckets of cash and hope you can sign someone good. Odds are, we will just end up slowly letting all the cap space be spent with smaller signing and resigning of our current players.
So the KINGS should just throw their hands in the air and give up? Sorry, I'm never gonna subscribe to a defeatist attitude like that.

Just because the KINGS don't often sign a top FA doesn't mean they can't ever do it. Didn't they land Vlade back in 1998? Didn't CWebb re-sign with the team in 2001 when almost every expert thought he wouldn't? They also managed to sign someone named Bobby Jackson too.

Lightning can strike more than once -- or twice. If you don't play the FA game, you can't ever win. That's for sure.

If the KINGS somehow manage to keep playing around .500 ball (or better) and turning heads as they do it, they'll increase their chances of enticing a key FA that likes what they're doing. While it may not happen, trying is half the battle. Settling is surrendering.

So the KINGS should just throw their hands in the air and give up? Sorry, I'm never gonna subscribe to a defeatist attitude like that.

Just because the KINGS don't often sign a top FA doesn't mean they can't ever do it. Didn't they land Vlade back in 1998? Didn't CWebb re-sign with the team in 2001 when almost every expert thought he wouldn't? They also managed to sign someone named Bobby Jackson too.

Lightning can strike more than once -- or twice. If you don't play the FA game, you can't ever win. That's for sure.

If the KINGS somehow manage to keep playing around .500 ball (or better) and turning heads as they do it, they'll increase their chances of enticing a key FA that likes what they're doing. While it may not happen, trying is half the battle. Settling is surrendering.
Laker, Mavs, and Philadelphia cant get free agents but we will, this ain’t the movies man it’s not happening.

Good point. But I think you could easily get a bruising back up big for such instances. There are many big men available as teams go smaller. Its a market inefficiency. So I'd rather stock up on wings than big men.
Kyle O'Quinn is BURIED on the Pacers bench and the guy is easily a role player in the NBA even potential starter when at his best also Alan Williams aka big Sauce was a beast end of I think last season putting up crazy numbers on the Suns and can bang and rebound with anyone

It is easy to talk tough but eventually you have to face the reality.

Yes. Get this done and we can book our playoff tickets for the first time in 12 years
Uhhhh..... I love the direction we are going, but if we can reach 40 wins this year we should be very happy. I’d be happy with a porter addition as he checks the boxes I would like to see in a very high quality role player at the 3, but I don’t see him as such a difference maker to push up 5 to 10 games in the win column needed to make the playoffs. However I’d love to eat crow at the end of the year. :)

Haha probably thought we were talking about Beal, but even then it’s stil WHAT?!
I wouldn't entertain trading Bagley for Beal, even for one second. We already have plenty of shooting between Buddy, Bogdan, Bjelica and others. Beal would be a -major- luxury, and at the price of our (so far) super solid and young rookie PF/C? No way.

EDIT: also wanted to caveat that there’s no way Boston trades us someone like Hayward this year when they own our pick. It would likely have to be two separate trades where Porter could be had this year and Hayward during th offseason.
Hayward is not the same guy this year. If it wasn’t for the terrible optics of trading him after last years injury, and I’m sure still some glimmer of hope that he will eventually get back to where he was, I’m guessing they would like a do-over on that signing.

Porter JR would be a nice addition. Wizards not gonna let him go easy. I bet they can't come to an agreement.
When the tax bill is around the corner, their record middling, no takers for Wall’s ludicrous contract, and no desire to trade Beal (their best player....even if he wants out), they absolutely have to trade porter for cap/tax relief. The wild card would be if they get an offer for Beal they can’t refuse; however even then might want to move on from porter’s salary.

When the tax bill is around the corner, their record middling, no takers for Wall’s ludicrous contract, and no desire to trade Beal (their best player....even if he wants out), they absolutely have to trade porter for cap/tax relief. The wild card would be if they get an offer for Beal they can’t refuse; however even then might want to move on from porter’s salary.
Everything you are saying makes sense, bet I'm so used to the Kings doing Kings-y things that I'm scared to think of what we might offer.

Based on our history, I legit would not be shocked to wake up to "BREAKING NEWS: Kings trade Bogdan Bogdanovic, Harry Giles and a 1st round pick to Washington for Otto Porter Jr.". Damn that would pee me off.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I would have to think it would be WCS + filler going out.

No way we trade any of the young core pieces (Fox, Buddy, Bogs, Giles, Bags). The team has invested too much into those guys AND they've all flashed serious upside.

I'm luke warm on the trade. Otto is way overpaid and having him on the roster may come back to haunt Vlade when it's time to resign all the kids. Porter would be a damn good fit though.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Ok I am on board with a trade to shore up the SF position and I really think we need a trade but some of you that have a better idea on this than I do really tell me what we are going to be getting in Otto.

I look at Shumpert and Porters numbers and wonder why the extra 2 points and 3 rebounds will cost us like 3 times more. If between them we can get 25 points and 10 rebounds on a consistent basis that would become a position of strength for us.

I guess if we do that then we can address our last position problem and thats the center spot. I find it hard to talk about since we supposedly have a gluten of bigs. KK hurt, Giles needs time, Willie being Willie .

I would love to find someone who disrupts the opponents freedom in the paint and can actually initiate a fast break off of a block or defensive stop a few times a game instead of every 3 or 4 games.
You really have to dig up some game film of last year when Wall was out with injury. Stats aren't going to tell the story because he's been submerged in the toxicity of Washington. I really like his passing for a big guy. With Giles, Bogs, Porter and Fox I really think we'd have the best passing team in the NBA. There would be a lot of open looks. And that's just passing. He can score on the block or at the three point line, he's a legit defender, and he's a good rebounder. What more could you want? We're not getting the Greek Freak or LBJ or Durant or Leonard. Porter is about as good as you can get after that. To me, the only small concern I have is how much toxicity has he ingested in Washington? My bet is that once he's on the Kings he'll get a transfusion and be as good as new.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This is why we don't fire Williams. He is our Negotiator in Chief. You have to give something to the Wizards they can sell to their fans. Yogi and Skal do NOT have a future on this team, especially with Boggy being moved to the point. That makes Yogi arguably 4th string behind Mason.
Jackson and Willie are addition by subtraction in my mind. I don't want to lose Shump, but if the Wizards want a veteran presence to replace Otto then you include him. Of course Z-Bo and /or Koufos would be make the salaries match. Ben is deadweight. That's at least six players over whom the Wizards can have their choice. But you need a savvy negotiator to hide your cards and not let them know this or they will take their pick of players and then try to squeeze you for more, they will insist on a future first round pick or Buddy or something insane. So you make lowball and reasonable offers for a player overpaid by 10M per year. When they counter asking for players you would eventually include anyway, they will think they "won" the negotiations . This is how negotiations work. I guarantee you Vlade does not know this! By the way I was expounding on this trade idea yesterday as a match made in Hoop Heaven, once again the Blob is ahead of the Curve. :cool: . To summarize the Wiz can ultimately mix and match with any of the players, but Brandon doesn't let them him know this if he is smart, which I think he is. But all these players should be available if it is what it takes to add Otto Porter:

- Ben
- Willie
- Skal
- Jackson
- Z-Bo
- Koufos
- Yogi
- Shump

Yep over half roster should be up for grabs!
Make the deal. THEN fire Williams!:D

Here is a trade that would work for both Washington and the Kings.

The Kings trade all their expiring vet contracts, Shump, KK, ZBo and McClemore for Otto Porter and Ian Mahinmi. We or they can also throw in a 2nd rounder, if need be.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7138223

Why the Kings do it? Because we need a legit young Small Forward who plays defense and can hit the 3 pointer. The players that we are shipping out, don't figure in our long term plans, except for maybe Shump, but Porter will take his place. We do this trade without having to give up WCS or any core players.

Why the Wizards do it? They are dumping 2 massive salary off the books and gets under the luxury tax. That will save them about $25 million this year alone and almost $100 million overall. They get a serviceable SF Shump and a Center in KK that can step in for injured Dwight Howard. The main advantage is that all these contacts are enders and they will get a lot of salary cap room to make moves in the offseason. The Kings are the only one that can offer this large of cap and Luxury Tax relief and they won't need to give up a first rounder to do it.

Kings new Lineup and Rotation!

PF: Bagley / Bjelicia / Skal
SF: Porter / JJ / Williams
C: WCS / Giles / Mahimni
SG: Hield / Bogdan
PG: Fox / Mason / Ferrell

dude12

Hall of Famer
Not if they included Willie in the deal. People are underestimating his value. The bench which is already weak, will be weaker if they lose Willie; and a Porter for WCS+ trade will leave the Kings about where they are this year.
Agreed. The vocal guys who are hammering on WCS just assume without him we are better. Not true. Last time I checked, WCS is not letting guards and wings get beat off the dribble. Bagley is not ready to be a defensive anchor, Giles doesn’t profile as above average defensively....at least he hasn’t showed it. And Porter isn’t better than Shump defensively at the 3.....probably as good but not better.

Now if Sac is not planning on matching any over the top offer on WCS, then by the trade deadline we make the deal. If we fall out of contention for a playoff spot, then we make the deal involving WCS but you can’t have Porter AND WCS because we will have to start paying our other guys if that lines up.

Furthermore, Washington is going to find out that the Porter contract is tough to move unless they are ok with less than his value. His contract sucks and they are effed with cap problems. Skal and JJ and expirings are more than sufficient. Multiple 2nd round picks and expirings are sufficient.

Taking on the Mahinmi contract additionally means they need to give us something to do that and they should. I also think Yogi or Mason can be in play if it means taking on an additional contract from them.....I don’t know where Satoransky or Rivers or any of the other contracts are but there are ways to get this done that doesn’t include are core we are playing right now so that we can continue are March to the playoffs.

Here is a trade that would work for both Washington and the Kings.

The Kings trade all their expiring vet contracts, Shump, KK, ZBo and McClemore for Otto Porter and Ian Mahinmi. We or they can also throw in a 2nd rounder, if need be.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7138223

Why the Kings do it? Because we need a legit young Small Forward who plays defense and can hit the 3 pointer. The players that we are shipping out, don't figure in our long term plans, except for maybe Shump, but Porter will take his place. We do this trade without having to give up WCS or any core players.

Why the Wizards do it? They are dumping 2 massive salary off the books and gets under the luxury tax. That will save them about $25 million this year alone and almost $100 million overall. They get a serviceable SF Shump and a Center in KK that can step in for injured Dwight Howard. The main advantage is that all these contacts are enders and they will get a lot of salary cap room to make moves in the offseason. The Kings are the only one that can offer this large of cap and Luxury Tax relief and they won't need to give up a first rounder to do it.

Kings new Lineup and Rotation!

PF: Bagley / Bjelicia / Skal
SF: Porter / JJ / Williams
C: WCS / Giles / Mahimni
SG: Hield / Bogdan
PG: Fox / Mason / Ferrell
I actually thing Bogdan is gonna play some PG. For now I would prefer to keep Shump. I think he can play both SG and also spend some time at SF. This would make for a really solid 2nd unit. I just don't trust Jackson right now until he either improves his shooting or shows some semblance of defense.

With that said, at the end of the day if trading Shump is a necessary piece on acquiring Porter, then adios!