So, is Marvin living up to expectations? (split)

How is Bagley comparing to your expectations?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Zach Lowe with some nice things to say about Marvin in his podcast today. He was running through most of the top rookies and said he was really surprised by Marvin’s overall floor game. He is open about the fact that he is not a college basketball expert by any means, and talked about how once word got out that the kings were zeroing in on Bagley in the draft it created this negative ‘halo’ effect on the perception of Marvin’s game leading into draft night (ie highlighting his weaknesses, etc). It was an interesting confession on his part about how the narrative of the bumbling kings may have clouded perception and analysis. I know a lot of people on this board aren’t a fan of Lowe but I’ve always thought he was one of the more perceptive and interesting nba writers. Amazing how as the team starts to play better and act like a competent franchise, national,writers start to write nice things about them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We can put a nice high light reel together for Willie. His numbers are pretty good.
But he is gutless and afraid. You cannot play winning basketball for long with a lightweight at the 5. Mentally he is out to lunch.
One of the biggest under achievers anywhere. I would be very happy if we traded him.

Marvin is 19 insn't he? One year out of high school. He has skills rarely seen in normal humans. He has shown flashes of taking over games already. I love the guy.
Wow. This is IMHO (and not as a moderator) unnecessary and unfair. Criticizing aspects of his game is fair, but this kind of character attack is just over the line.

Zach Lowe with some nice things to say about Marvin in his podcast today. He was running through most of the top rookies and said he was really surprised by Marvin’s overall floor game. He is open about the fact that he is not a college basketball expert by any means, and talked about how once word got out that the kings were zeroing in on Bagley in the draft it created this negative ‘halo’ effect on the perception of Marvin’s game leading into draft night (ie highlighting his weaknesses, etc). It was an interesting confession on his part about how the narrative of the bumbling kings may have clouded perception and analysis. I know a lot of people on this board aren’t a fan of Lowe but I’ve always thought he was one of the more perceptive and interesting nba writers. Amazing how as the team starts to play better and act like a competent franchise, national,writers start to write nice things about them.
I'm really surprised Lowe admitted this and completely agree that no matter who the Kings picked, it was going to be the wrong pick in the eyes of the media until it worked itself out on the court. Yes, even if the other guy was picked.

It's hard not to react to the national media, but there is true bias. It's not necessarily just at the Kings. It's at small markets in general. These guys watch there numbers for their jobs sake and if they irritate a small market fan base, it doesn't affect them at all. But if they keep the NY, Boston, LA etc. fans tuned in and engaged, they are set. So Sacramento and the like are literally unimportant to them except to use as a punching bag to make the other markets feel good about themselves. Even if the larger markets are criticized, there is usually some actual research done first.

Winning is the only remedy.

Wow. This is IMHO (and not as a moderator) unnecessary and unfair. Criticizing aspects of his game is fair, but this kind of character attack is just over the line.
This is a place for opinions. The NBA is the wrong place for nice guys that are polite. That's why I can't get behind Skal or Willie.
When the Kings' guards outrebound Willie two games in a row, the alarm bells should be going off. Same with going many games in a row without a blocked shot.
Pro basketball is mental warfare. " You can't have a battle of wits, with unarmed people." Oscar Wilde

When Kings got the #2 pick at first and it was assumed we were picking the other guy, the media spent a lot of time trashing the other guy.

It's crazy that Lowe admits this bias.
I’m not so sure it was about trashing the other guy, but it was the speculation around how his career would be stunted in sac.

I’m not so sure it was about trashing the other guy, but it was the speculation around how his career would be stunted in sac.
Plenty of out of shape, parties too much, etc.

Plenty of Euro game won't translate look at xxx as if there haven't been plenty of successful Euros since the floodgates opened in the mid-90s.

Good pick up.