Super Team, Just Young.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The last time the Kings ended the season over .500 was 2005-6. That's thirteen freaking years ago. If as a fan you've stuck it out during this 13 years of hell you deserve a bow. Your patience, you perseverance, your endurance has finally been rewarded.
Ahem.

I didn’t realize the KINGS were playing them on a B2B. Makes me feel a tad bit better about the KINGS playing Utah on B2B after the GSW game.
What would make me feel better is if port/GSW went to triple OT and the king beat the warriors so bad that our starters rest the entire 4th quarter. Then I won't be so upset we playing Utah on a b2b. Too much to ask for?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What would make me feel better is if port/GSW went to triple OT and the king beat the warriors so bad that our starters rest the entire 4th quarter. Then I won't be so upset we playing Utah on a b2b. Too much to ask for?
My dad used to say "it doesn't cost any more to dream in technicolor" so nope, not too much to ask for IMHO.

GO KINGS!!

I think we need to declare a jersey amnesty. I have a Justin Williams, because he was the first defensively oriented big on the team in a while, and I thought the team desperately needed one at that point. Obviously he wasn't the ticket, and I feel slightly weird admitting that I own it, but it's the perfect reminder of how bad things have been sometimes, and exemplifies what it means to be a long-suffering fan. We should be proud of all our jerseys.

The last time the Kings ended the season over .500 was 2005-6. That's thirteen freaking years ago. If as a fan you've stuck it out during this 13 years of hell you deserve a bow. Your patience, you perseverance, your endurance has finally been rewarded.
10 years for me. I can easily say it’s been torture haha. If the Kings ever win a championship I can finally stop watching basketball and the annoying officiating

Goes to show how much chemistry on a team means.. You have teams like the Raptors (2 to 5 years ago) who would always have a great record but no superstars. I would go up and down the lineup and our lineup and think to myself that we have better players than they do, then I would look at other teams and compare.. You can't really do that because I believe chemistry is about 50% of winning... I don't know... It's a neat thing to watch though.

The first argument I got in on this board was with VF21 about he Kmart contract.

I still think it was a terrible contract!
first time I ever got kicked off this board altogether was over Kmart.

since then I came to realize he was a heck of a lot better player than I ever gave him credit for in real time - in fact gave me one of the biggest thrills in person at an NBA game when he made that playoff buzzer beater against the Spurs.

If we make the playoffs as anything other than the 8th seed (and even such) and I gotta think Joerger is in the running for COY and/or Vlade EOY, Fox MIP, etc etc. Depending on how things shake out we may have a sixth man contender in there.
Wouldn’t it be fun if the kings make the playoffs and win COY and EOY. The national media who crapped on the Kings the last couple of years will have a large serving of crow to eat.

I’d love to have a few beers with the ones who liked this post
How about this....went to my first game with my dad during the 1985 season when I was 10. I don’t think I had a clue what the nba was but it was super fun to yell and scream in the original Arco, trying to get the noise meter high enough to light up the Kings logo. Suffered through a lot of crap in the 80’s and 90’s going to about 10 games a year until I graduated from UC Davis and moved to SF in....1998. What luck. I remember barely getting the signal to listen to games on KHTK when there was enough cloud cover in the bay. Eventually they were such an exciting team that they started to get on national broadcasts (which was much more of a big deal back then) so I would see a handful of games on TV, try to catch a game at Oracle, and go to a couple more with my dad at Arco when I got home for visits. What a great team.

Fast forward to about 7 years ago, and I move to Seattle where I become just about the only person in the Pacific Northwest to celebrate the Kings NOT relocating from Sac. This team is in my blood man, but like everyone on this board, I’ve been tested. I went to the Kings Warriors preseason game at Key Arena last month, and after seeing that embarrassment of a performance, in front of an arena half filled with bandwagon warrior fans (including my wife....and one of my two kids) and the other half Seattlites that couldn’t give a flying F about the Kings (basically the Washington Generals for the evening’s entertainment), for the first time in my life looked at my wife and said “I’m not sure why I’m still a fan of this team. It’s just not worth it.”

After all these years, that meaningless preseason game may have been the bottom. And then, inexplicably, the squad pulls it together. Magic starts to happen. The excitement is back. I look forward in anticipation to the games again. I am REWATCHING games again. I really can’t believe how this team has come together.

It’s thanksgiving ya’ll. This team may very well hit a hard patch again this year and really test our patience....but damn I’ve fallen back in love with the Kings. Be grateful!

How about this....went to my first game with my dad during the 1985 season when I was 10. I don’t think I had a clue what the nba was but it was super fun to yell and scream in the original Arco, trying to get the noise meter high enough to light up the Kings logo. Suffered through a lot of crap in the 80’s and 90’s going to about 10 games a year until I graduated from UC Davis and moved to SF in....1998. What luck. I remember barely getting the signal to listen to games on KHTK when there was enough cloud cover in the bay. Eventually they were such an exciting team that they started to get on national broadcasts (which was much more of a big deal back then) so I would see a handful of games on TV, try to catch a game at Oracle, and go to a couple more with my dad at Arco when I got home for visits. What a great team.

Fast forward to about 7 years ago, and I move to Seattle where I become just about the only person in the Pacific Northwest to celebrate the Kings NOT relocating from Sac. This team is in my blood man, but like everyone on this board, I’ve been tested. I went to the Kings Warriors preseason game at Key Arena last month, and after seeing that embarrassment of a performance, in front of an arena half filled with bandwagon warrior fans (including my wife....and one of my two kids) and the other half Seattlites that couldn’t give a flying F about the Kings (basically the Washington Generals for the evening’s entertainment), for the first time in my life looked at my wife and said “I’m not sure why I’m still a fan of this team. It’s just not worth it.”

After all these years, that meaningless preseason game may have been the bottom. And then, inexplicably, the squad pulls it together. Magic starts to happen. The excitement is back. I look forward in anticipation to the games again. I am REWATCHING games again. I really can’t believe how this team has come together.

It’s thanksgiving ya’ll. This team may very well hit a hard patch again this year and really test our patience....but damn I’ve fallen back in love with the Kings. Be grateful!
I hit that low point the same game. It was a game or 2 after the Utah drubbing where we looked like a high school team. I feel you. I was 7 years old in that Arco I. Dad got Season tix in Arco II, section 213 row H seats 16&17. Literally hit rock bottom before this season started and have been so into every game since the first one. Go Kings

Very interesting reading the experiences of the old school fans here. This stuff really should be written down as it's first-hand experience of the King's history.

I was about 8 when I first got into basketball. J-Will and the Kings were the most exciting team to watch at that point (circa 1999) so it was natural for me to gravitate towards them. Everyone knows what happened after that. The last 15 years or so have been tough but it really is an addiction, and you want to stick it out because it will be worth it when the King's eventually get that championship we're all waiting for. BTW, one memory that will always stick with me during the early years is waking up half an hour early before school to log on to KF and read VF's PBP threads! The rise of the internet has made that unnecessary nowadays but the effort she went to was really commendable and it made being an international fan much easier.

I made it to my first Kings game last year in NY in MSG. It was an incredible experience, even though we lost. I got to see Porzingis put up about 37 in 3 quarters, he was unstoppable. Fox was just as much a blur in real life. I also had really good seats just behind the basket and was about 5 feet away from Vlade, Peja etc which was absolutely surreal as I grew up idolising and emulating them on the court myself. Unforgettable experience. I also was the only Kings fan in my area and had some good fun with Knicks fans. The guy beside me thought it was hilarious that a random guy from Ireland would be a Kings fan and make the effort to go over for a game. My only regret was not trying to organise a picture with Grant and Jerry.

I'm going to my next game in Boston in March, and I can't wait. I'm going with at least one friend who happens to be a Celtics fan. We're also going to be there for Paddy's Day (NOT PATTYS DAY, my KF friends!!) which should be a lot of fun. I may reach out to try to get a photo with Grant and Doug. Meeting DC would be the icing on the cake but I'm not sure how likely that is.

That's it in a nutshell. Some of the FO decisions over the years have made me question if it's all worth it but you have to take the good with the bad, and I'm glad I stuck it out. I didn't have a choice really, as there's no way I could be a fan of another team at this point. It's Kings or nothing, and I'm all in.

Last edited:
We’re a Bagley/Giles/Skal/WCS(paint presence) development away from putting serious young talent on the floor going forward.

No doubt about Fox/Buddy. Fox is franchise/superstar potential, Buddy is good starting SG. Bogdan will have a lot of good years too

Now it’s about the bigs. Bagley/Giles/Skal have been not secure yet from what you would like starting early summer (Bags fortunately showing more glimpses recently). If WCS can just put servicable paint presence with his offensive development, he’d be fine. Hope we feel comfortable with 2/4 to end the season

Last edited: