Dreams of KD for the Kings

This is an all time pipe dream, but imagine if the Kings get Durant. He's the perfect player for this current squad--can stretch the floor with Bjelly and Buddy. And he can run with Fox and the young bigs. It'll never happen, but we get him and with the current set of players, the Kings are in the hunt for the entire thing.

Early campaign: KD, stay in norcal. Stay close to your techie investments and come take a young team to the promise land. You need it for your legacy. One can dream.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an all time pipe dream, but imagine if the Kings get Durant. He's the perfect player for this current squad--can stretch the floor with Bjelly and Buddy. And he can run with Fox and the young bigs. It'll never happen, but we get him and with the current set of players, the Kings are in the hunt for the entire thing.

Early campaign: KD, stay in norcal. Stay close to your techie investments and come take a young team to the promise land. You need it for your legacy. One can dream.
Yeah I have often dreamed how awesome this team would be with Durant and how well he would fit in. It’s one reason I want us to pass the ball and kick it out. I want Durant to see that and say hmmm!!!!

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
He's an East Coast guy. I would put my money on him moving back East somewhere this off-season but if he does choose California I think it's very very unlikely he opts to settle down in Sacramento over LA or the Bay Area. Not to mention he's going to be making something absurd like 35-40 million a year. We probably should be looking for someone younger anyway. Our core group is mostly 19-25 right now. I'd be looking for a guy who's going to mesh better in this locker room. When young guys learn to win together, that's when you find yourself with an unstoppable juggernaut on your hands.

He's an East Coast guy. I would put my money on him moving back East somewhere this off-season but if he does choose California I think it's very very unlikely he opts to settle down in Sacramento over LA or the Bay Area. Not to mention he's going to be making something absurd like 35-40 million a year. We probably should be looking for someone younger anyway. Our core group is mostly 19-25 right now. I'd be looking for a guy who's going to mesh better in this locker room. When young guys learn to win together, that's when you find yourself with an unstoppable juggernaut on your hands.
If you can get KD, you go and get him.

He's not some over the hill vet. He's the current two times finals MVP, a perennial MVP candidate, one of best scorers, and one of the best SFs ever. Franchises can go decades before sniffing on such a player. You have a chance (that too without giving up any assets!!!!), you don't think twice. You thank the BB gods for giving you that chance and grab it with both hands.

He's only 30 years old, and has at least 4-5 years of peak BB left, particularly with his height and elite shooting being skills that diminish least.

But yes, it's a pipe dream. It's not going to happen. We have to set our eyes lower. Fortunately, we seem to be getting settled at other positions, and have cap space and assets to potentially fill the void with something reasonable.

Once you get past the Kangz stigma, it’s really not a crazy idea. It seems relatively clear that he’s leaving. If he stays, then he forces Draymond out and Draymond loses out on his big payday. I don’t think KD wants to do that to Draymond.

KD’s top priority is a free-flowing offense and great team chemistry. In all his Simmons interviews he harps on how much he wants to play “good” egalitarian basketball. He really enjoys mentoring young, ambitious, hard-working players. Like, really enjoys it....not fake Lebron enjoys it. And, he loves the NorCal lifestyle. He’s also a guy who was perfectly fine in OKC. I think he and Kleiman have kind of talked up the big move to the Bay as a way of minimizing the friction with Westbrook. If he has a great aternative, I think he’d avoid going back East. I don’t think he’s interested in the lifestyle and media environment. He’s not chosen the east coast at any point in his basketball life: he signed with Texas, max extension with OKC, free agent with Golden State, and then re-upped with Golden State. He’d walk to 32 PPG with the young Kings, stay in close proximity to Silicon Valley, and be the face of what seems like will be our annual pre-season tour of India. And, if he manages to win a ring with the Kings...he’s #2 all-time behind only MJ, no questions.

I don't think we have any chance of getting KD but if he has any ego-driven desire to be the best of his era I wonder if you could sell on "nobody respected you for joining the Dubs but think of what they'll say if you lead Sacramento to a title?"

I'm not sure how you phrase the first half of that equation in a non-offensive way, or if KD even cares about what people think, but it's a pitch for every free agent. Kings are turning around but any vet that comes in next year and takes us to the next step is going to get a ton of credit a good chunk of which will be undeserved.

This can be a general SF offseason acquisition thread, yeah? Anyway, yeah, Kawhi would probably be the ideal fit—hard to see him leaving right now though. KD is definitely going somewhere, and would be 1B to Kawhi as far as fit. Middleton would be great, too. We can throw the max at him, but the Bucks probably go ahead and max him first thing—I doubt he takes any other meetings. Tobias Harris might be signable at max or near max money, but that’s a big number for him. Guys like Barnes might be fall-back options.

It’s an interesting positiin to be in: if we had a full-size starting professional SF we would be in a strong position to contend for a playoff spot. However, acquiring that player right now would take us out of free agency. Ideally, we could snag Ariza or Barnes right now via trade and not sacrifice any space for this off-season.

I wish Jaylen Brown was entering RFA this summer. He would be such an obvious max target, and I doubt the Celtics want to put him on that number. However, Hayward is playing his way out of Boston—should we strike out in free agency we can push for a trade for Hayward.

Harris is the most talented SF in free agency who might consider the Kings.

Terrence Ross is a possible plan B. He plays sort of like Shump, but has a bit more height. If you watched the Orlando game, you saw what he can do for a team.

KDs own mentality may be one for us to exploit in bringing him over here. Geographically we are close to all he loves and we can offer him that revision of his legacy that he may seek.

If we are serious then we cant lose a day in planning our pursuit of him. Vlade and Vivek must go all out and honestly i would implore them to start now. We dont need bill boards and public declarations, we need to work behind the scenes and in the dark

No way do I want KD stealing minutes from our young guys or his attitude infecting our locker room
I love reading these responses. KD, LeBron and steph aren't good enough for the kings. We want nothing to do with them and their flaws. Now hold on while I drool over an overhyped 2nd tier player or unproven college player. :D:rolleyes:;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
KD's mom is praising LeBron James and Magic Johnson. They aren't looking north, they're looking south.

I love reading these responses. KD, LeBron and steph aren't good enough for the kings. We want nothing to do with them and their flaws. Now hold on while I drool over an overhyped 2nd tier player or unproven college player. :D:rolleyes:;)
When you consider the players we have versus the players who will never come here in a million years, the players we have are more help to the franchise, so it's not nearly as laughable as you think. I just don't understand why people even propose idiotic things like this.

word is he's gonna leave Golden State.

What better place to exact his revenge than with the upstart Kings?

Fox/Mason
Bogdan/Buddy
Durant/Jackson
Marvin/Bjelly/Giles
Willie/Skal

The Kings would still have spending money (i think) even with Willie at like $19MM per year and Durant at Max $$.

Kawhi wants to play in CA, said he grew up "hating Lakers", and would make our team so real the entire league would be terrified. He doesn't want to compete in Lebrons shadow in LA and would never join warriors....
Only thing harder than saving Cleveland is saving Sacramento imo. Kawhi would go down as the absolute GOAT

Kawhi wants to play in CA, said he grew up "hating Lakers", and would make our team so real the entire league would be terrified. He doesn't want to compete in Lebrons shadow in LA and would never join warriors....
Only thing harder than saving Cleveland is saving Sacramento imo. Kawhi would go down as the absolute GOAT
If we want to pipe dream I'd prefer this. I'd take a healthy Kawhi over Durant any day

Durant isn't cut from that type of cloth, he likes easy championships so he will be signing with the Lakers
Durant’s not signing with the Lakers. Durant HATES drama and media focus, which are always in short supply around Lebron...oh wait.

Durant’s next stop will be a drama free locker room, lowkey media presence, and a squad that makes it easy for him to get buckets and chase Kareem’s record. We’re not the only club that fits the bill (e.g. the Clippers have an ironically small media footprint), but I won’t be shocked if we join the conversation.

If we want to pipe dream I'd prefer this. I'd take a healthy Kawhi over Durant any day
Right now, it certainly is a pipe dream.

BUT .... if the KINGS make enough of a statement this season with their play, they could become a sleeper.

Not that long ago, top players didn't consider Philly, Golden State, or the Clippers. But perception on those franchises changed.

The KINGS have a young, talented team. The style they are playing and the fun they are having doing so won't go totally unnoticed.

Right now, it certainly is a pipe dream.

BUT .... if the KINGS make enough of a statement this season with their play, they could become a sleeper.

Not that long ago, top players didn't consider Philly, Golden State, or the Clippers. But perception on those franchises changed.

The KINGS have a young, talented team. The style they are playing and the fun they are having doing so won't go totally unnoticed.
Still if you look at teams in similar situation they very rarely get a sniff at a top free agent after one decent season anyway. I am a Portland fan and we didn’t even come close to signing anyone decent in 2016 despite having a max slot available and coming off a very good season with Lillard playing like a top 10 player he is, McCollum winning MIP and team getting into second round of the playoffs and staying competitive against Warriors over all 5 games. We didn’t even get a meeting with Whiteside and we got turned down by Parsons because he felt Memphis were more of a certain thing with Conley and Gasol (thank God).

Philadelphia didn’t get a major free agent last Summer anyway and reached for Butler via trade as they probably weren’t convinced they would get him or anyone else next Summer in free agency next year.

Kings are better off chasing the second tier of very good players like Middleton, Harris etc. Basically players who will be third or fourth on the list for major free agency destinations and could go a bit unnoticed. The core of the team is already there, you now need to fill out the rest of the roster with talent that compliments Fox, Hield and Bagley.

This can be a general SF offseason acquisition thread, yeah? Anyway, yeah, Kawhi would probably be the ideal fit—hard to see him leaving right now though. KD is definitely going somewhere, and would be 1B to Kawhi as far as fit. Middleton would be great, too. We can throw the max at him, but the Bucks probably go ahead and max him first thing—I doubt he takes any other meetings. Tobias Harris might be signable at max or near max money, but that’s a big number for him. Guys like Barnes might be fall-back options.

It’s an interesting positiin to be in: if we had a full-size starting professional SF we would be in a strong position to contend for a playoff spot. However, acquiring that player right now would take us out of free agency. Ideally, we could snag Ariza or Barnes right now via trade and not sacrifice any space for this off-season.

I wish Jaylen Brown was entering RFA this summer. He would be such an obvious max target, and I doubt the Celtics want to put him on that number. However, Hayward is playing his way out of Boston—should we strike out in free agency we can push for a trade for Hayward.
No Hayward, no Ariza, no Barnes. Just no.

Yeah he would but he gets all those things in Toronto, Canada, going down as the savior of a nation and absolute star.