Nemanja Bjelica

Here's a question.

Once Bagley earns his way into the starting lineup (hopefully by Christmas), can Bjelica still thrive starting at Small Forward or coming off the bench?
Probably not. Imo having Bjelica at 4 is a huge reason why our offense has been so effective. When we run Fox & Wcs pick n roll with Bjelica at 4 its very effective because we have the whole lane cleared while 3 guys are spotting up for three (and two of them being great shooters in Bjelica and Hield). That type of system lets both Willy and Fox thrive. Its very different and a lot less effective if you have a non shooter clogging the lane by standing near the rim while Fox and Wcs are trying to run pick n roll. Defensive rotations are lot easier when you already have the initial help defender standing under the rim.

On the other hand Bagley spotting up behind the 3point line doesnt really force defenders to respect his shot and stay close to him so it makes the paint more clogged for pick n rolls, penetration and backdoor cuts ect.

If we want to maximize our W's and Bagley wants to start, he probably has to take that spot from Willy instead. Atm Willy is playing great so I wouldnt do that anytime soon.

On paper it seems like a possibility to just put Bjelica at 3 for stretches, Bagley at 4 and Willy at 5. It just doesnt work that way. Having that extreme spacing provided by Buddy and Bjelica + another solid shooter just elevates the level of play of single players like Fox and Willy significantly. Also that type of spacing lineup just generates a lot more high quality high percentage shots. And thats the key for a succesful offense

Here's a question.

Once Bagley earns his way into the starting lineup (hopefully by Christmas), can Bjelica still thrive starting at Small Forward or coming off the bench?
I don't think Bagley will start this year unless Bjelica starts to tank. We are so much better with Bjelica in the starting lineup. He opens up the floor for everyone. I was not high on the signing, I even thought it was a dramatic overpay and $$$ was the only reason why he signed with us. However, I think he's been the engine that has allowed our entire offense to run the way it has. There's not much else to say about Bjelica that hasn't already been said.

I don't think Bagley will start this year unless Bjelica starts to tank. We are so much better with Bjelica in the starting lineup. He opens up the floor for everyone. I was not high on the signing, I even thought it was a dramatic overpay and $$$ was the only reason why he signed with us. However, I think he's been the engine that has allowed our entire offense to run the way it has. There's not much else to say about Bjelica that hasn't already been said.
Bagley will eventually start, I think sooner rather than later. I don't think you can deny he's one of the top 3 or 4 guys talent wise on this team.

I think by mid season Joeger will put him in the starting line up, like how he broke in Fox slowly.

Joeger will need to figure out a line up that utilize both Bjelica and Bagley. Bjelica played a lot of small forward in Minnesota when Jimmy Butler was injured, he should be able to slide over to Small Forward here too.

If the Kings went "Large" or "All Timber" in the front court, we would be pretty hard to defend, if Bagley can consitently hit the 3 pointer at a decent clip.

PF: Bagley 6'11"/ Giles / Skal
SF: Bjelica 6'10"/ Shumpert / JJ / Williams
C: WCS 7'0"/ KK
SG: Buddy 6'4" / Bogdan
PG: Fox 6'3"/ Yogi / Mason

Bagley will eventually start, I think sooner rather than later. I don't think you can deny he's one of the top 3 or 4 guys talent wise on this team.

I think by mid season Joeger will put him in the starting line up, like how he broke in Fox slowly.

Joeger will need to figure out a line up that utilize both Bjelica and Bagley. Bjelica played a lot of small forward in Minnesota when Jimmy Butler was injured, he should be able to slide over to Small Forward here too.

If the Kings went "Large" or "All Timber" in the front court, we would be pretty hard to defend, if Bagley can consitently hit the 3 pointer at a decent clip.

PF: Bagley 6'11"/ Giles / Skal
SF: Bjelica 6'10"/ Shumpert / JJ / Williams
C: WCS 7'0"/ KK
SG: Buddy 6'4" / Bogdan
PG: Fox 6'3"/ Yogi / Mason
Well the Kings have started out 5-3 and there's no rush to make Bagley a starter. We are winning right now, and he's done a fine job off the bench. There's no reason to shake things up with the momentum we have. If we do fall back from this high, then yeah, I do see Bagley starting.
He's a top 3-4 talent, but he's probably our 5th best player right now. Fox, Buddy, Bogdan, Bjelica, and WCS are all better.

"If the Kings went "Large" or "All Timber" in the front court, we would be pretty hard to defend, if Bagley can consitently hit the 3 pointer at a decent clip."
I don't think this is true. It's also a big IF in terms of Bagley's 3pt shooting. We're much better off with a real 3&D SF than either Bjelica or Bagley. Teams will not respect Bagley's 3pt shooting right now. They'd have no problem packing the paint against Fox. They'd probably rather sag on Bagley and make him shoot the 3.

Our team is playing good. There's no reason to shake things up unless we start playing bad. Neither Bagley or Bjelica can be SFs. Right now, it's not a problem we should be concerning ourselves with.

Here's a question.

That indeed is an important question.

I have no doubt he can thrive off the bench. However I would be ecstatic to see him be able to function as a 3. He's fantastic at weak side help D. I'd be concerned with certain matchups, but perhaps we can spot fill Twill or another defender when needed. But let's run through the options... the toughest 3s in the league... do you want Bjelica on Durant, Lebron? Or JJ. You start thinking things through and all the sudden it looks like a pure genius move to get Bjelica.

Here's a question.

They need a stretch 4 to open up the court for Fox to penetrate and WCS to feed on less athletic competition. If you mess with that dynamic, then put Bags in for WCS. This pace and space requires the space part to open up the game.

I have no doubt he can thrive off the bench. However I would be ecstatic to see him be able to function as a 3. He's fantastic at weak side help D. I'd be concerned with certain matchups, but perhaps we can spot fill Twill or another defender when needed. But let's run through the options... the toughest 3s in the league... do you want Bjelica on Durant, Lebron? Or JJ. You start thinking things through and all the sudden it looks like a pure genius move to get Bjelica.
The guy put up numbers as a starting 3 just last season he would do fine in any position you put him in on the floor he's just that talented and smart.

The break neck pace the KINGS are playing at and wearing teams down, all these guys will play. Gotta keep fresh legs in the game to get out on the break and get back on defense. And the KINGS appear to have enough depth and skill to sustain it. We haven’t even seen Bogie yet.

Here's a question.

I don’t think Bagley earns his way in unless he can replace what Bjelica can provide. The person more likely to replace Bjelica is Giles as his shooting improves. Marvin’s game is more similar to WCS.

Right now JJ is our best defensive 3. It would be nice if Marvin could get there but I don’t think he is there now.

I don’t think Bagley earns his way in unless he can replace what Bjelica can provide. The person more likely to replace Bjelica is Giles as his shooting improves. Marvin’s game is more similar to WCS.
I don't entirely disagree with you, but Bagley is 5-9 from 3 for his career while WCS is 3-16 from 3 for his career. Just saying.....

They need a stretch 4 to open up the court for Fox to penetrate and WCS to feed on less athletic competition. If you mess with that dynamic, then put Bags in for WCS. This pace and space requires the space part to open up the game.
Yes. Marvin would replace WCS, not Bjelica if it happens

Lebron?
Durant?

Last edited:
He missed many games. Thibs played him low minutes against second units. Many players look better against weaker competition. So nobody knew his play was not fluke against backups. In addition to that, Thibs forced Bjelly to stand in the corner and wait for tunnel vision team mates to pass him sometimes. Thibs also yanked him out whenever he tried to drive or create, untill JB was injured. 4 wasted years for him in Minny. Playing for the Kings is jail break for him.
Well, he's got a home in Sacramento. I just hope that some of the bandwagon fans don't turn against him when his stats level out (if indeed they do).
I like that he's got all-around basketball skills, not unlike his friend Bogi. What a FIND by Vlade!
DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT HE WAS SAYING AFTER THOSE TWO BACK TO BACK THREES LAST NIGHT?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
talk about up and down, you don't know which player you are getting on a game to game basis and when he isn't scoring the Kings struggle it seems.

dude12

Hall of Famer
As Bagley shows consistency with the 3 point shot, we may after all see he and Bjelica swap starting roles. But Bjelica is more of a threat and helps space it out for Fox.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Bjelica needs to play within his limits, which means not taking it upon himself to try to dribble drive to the basket very much. As we've seen in the last couple of games, he's not that guy. I still want to see him at center. I'd rather have him guard a bigger slower guy than a quicker faster smaller guy. He's a pretty good rebounder. Also, he can spread the floor for Fox and Co. He needs to set screens and pop, with an occasional roll to the basket. He looks like he probably is the best screener on this team other than Kosta. Overall, I really think he's gotten out of his lane lately, and once he gets back to doing what he does well, he'll do just fine.

You have to keep in mind that Bjelica is not an All Star player, nor he'd be able to score 20 pts on a regular basis. What he brings to this team is high basketball IQ, ability to stretch the floor, ability to pass/rebound, hit a few 3s and average something like 14/6/3.

Thibs killed him over the past 3 years by not giving him a proper role on the team, telling him to stay in the corner and replacing him as soon as he misses the first shot. It will take him some time to find his consistency again.

The thing is, when he's playing well, Kings are winning, so he definitely should be considered as important part of our rotation and he needs to have those 25-30 mins per game to show what he can do.

Him and Bogdan were doing wonders in the national team, particularly against Gasol brothers, Rubio, Dirk, etc. so I am waiting to see if they can replicate that this season if they spend more time on the floor together.

Bogdan and bjelica will light it up for us. I have no doubt about that. Their iq is too strong to flounder. Looking for a good rebound game tonight for Bjelica and for Bogdan to continue his integration

Noticed last game that ball doesn't seem to be going to Bjelica in a creation roll as much as it was earlier in season. In 3rd quarter, when team was struggling, think we would have benefit from using Bjelica as a go to score instead of a spacer spot shooter

Noticed last game that ball doesn't seem to be going to Bjelica in a creation roll as much as it was earlier in season. In 3rd quarter, when team was struggling, think we would have benefit from using Bjelica as a go to score instead of a spacer spot shooter
What I noticed is that when he gets the ball, defender play tight up on him. He can't get a shot off and is not quick enough to get around them. No opportunity to create. This is obviously on the scouting report. Other teams know we play better when Bjelica is doing his thing.