Butler requests trade from Timberwolves

dude12

Hall of Famer
If they think they are moving on from WCS, you make him available. I mean the other guy that could get this done is Bogi, so Bogi and WCS but then most likely, the guy doesn’t resign with us and we just set ourselves back a few years.

Just not ready to do this yet until guys develop more. We don’t even know what we got with all the young guys.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
According to Woj, Sacramento on a list of teams probing for deals with the Minnesota:

"So far, few franchises, if any, are engaged in serious conversations with the Timberwolves on Butler, sources said. But the list of organizations interested in talking further with Minnesota is significant, league sources said: Brooklyn, Detroit, Houston, the LA Clippers, Miami, Philadelphia, Portland and Sacramento are among the teams interested in probing for deals."
soo trade your future and assets for a one year rental? I would puke in my mouth if this were to go down, the Kings definitely have the assets to make a trade work too so the thought is scary.

Poor Minny.

Gave up all that for a Jimmy Butler rental so they could compete for a year.

Should've stayed the course for that rebuild.

Dunn-Lavine-Wiggins-Markkanen-KAT isn't worth anything defensively, but it's a damn better situation than having their future blow up right in their face.
*Slightly opens door* I actually thought Chicago got the better end of that trade. I prefer Lavine.*Closes door*

*Slightly opens door* I actually thought Chicago got the better end of that trade. I prefer Lavine.*Closes door*
*kicks door in* :) Better end of the trade because Butler is leaving or better because you think Lavine, Markkanen and Dunn are better?

Remember, TWolves hadn't made the playoffs since 2004. They acquire Butler and they are firmly planted in the 4th spot in the west until Butler goes down with an injury. They promptly drop to 9th until Butler comes back with 3 games left and they win out to make the playoffs. They were 37-22 with Butler and 10-13 without him. He has a huge impact on winning. Chicago may win out in the end but I think it'll be because of Markkanen if he continues to develop.

Last edited:

Assistant GM Brandon Williams has informed teams that the Kings aren't adverse to parking contracts that extend into the 2019-20 season, including Dieng. Whatever happens with the Butler deal, the Kings are determined to use that $11 million in cap space and their expiring contracts to gather more assets for the future.- from the Woj article
if we do this, we hopefully do it right and get adequately compensated for it.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Good news. Kings looking to make the common sense move we've all been wanting them to make for a long time now.
Maybe we have tried to be that team for awhile and we now finally have an opportunity to cash in. Miami seems like a possibility as they have a few contracts to unload.

Also, on a side note, Kings allegedly were in on trying to bring Ulis into camp. Which makes no sense with the 3 guys we have here already plus Bogi as PGs.

I hope we are involved as facilitators leveraging our cap space for future picks.

We have young movable talent we could use to acquire Butler but id rather we continue to stockpile talent and add veterans where necessary.

We want a young deep roster, that should be the goal.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'd imagine that if the Kings were to get involved in a three way or four way team deal, Dieng would be coming the Kings' way most likely since the T-Wolves are trying to attach him to any Butler deal while Tyus Jones would be going to Phoenix, who have showed interest and lack a PG

I'd imagine that if the Kings were to get involved in a three way or four way team deal, Dieng would be coming the Kings' way most likely since the T-Wolves are trying to attach him to any Butler deal while Tyus Jones would be going to Phoenix, who have showed interest and lack a PG
I'd want more than a decent first to take that salary. If we do get involved I hope we get more than that.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'd want more than a decent first to take that salary. If we do get involved I hope we get more than that.
I think the plan for Vlade here is to acquire a first rounder in this years draft one way or another so whether that means taking on a big contract or maybe acquiring another young player, remains to be seen.

I think the plan for Vlade here is to acquire a first rounder in this years draft one way or another so whether that means taking on a big contract or maybe acquiring another young player, remains to be seen.
This years salary doesn't mean much, I'd eat next years as well.

But for 3 years of bad salary, that's quite a lot.

We are pretty stacked with seconds for the next 3 drafts too.

Maybe there is a way to get a protected first from each team?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
This years salary doesn't mean much, I'd eat next years as well.

But for 3 years of bad salary, that's quite a lot.

We are pretty stacked with seconds for the next 3 drafts too.

Maybe there is a way to get a protected first from each team?
having too many second rounders don't hold much value unless you use them in a trade to a team that lacks draft picks, I'm not advocating taking on Dieng for a first rounder, I agree...it's too much. However, if they can't acquire a first rounder then try to nab a young player in the process and take on a extra year of salary.

The Suns are also trying to be involved. Whether that would shut us out completely or create some Frankenstein of a 4 team trade remains to be seen.

Keeping the Suns out of it for now, what would most here like to see in a possible 3 team between us MIA and Minny?
Either a first from each team or Winslow and a first. Will eat any bad contract under 3 years remaining and give up any players expiring this year.

This is probably way too much to ask but one can dream?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Either a first from each team or Winslow and a first. Will eat any bad contract under 3 years remaining and give up any players expiring this year.

This is probably way too much to ask but one can dream?
Would also add Bam (even though we have too many young bigs already) and Derrick Jones Jr. to the list of Heat players I'd try to take.

dude12

Hall of Famer
You’re probably right. I apologize I just watched a Timberwolves game and KAT left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Which is shocking to me because I regarded him as one of the Top 5 assets in the league only a couple years ago.
Why do you think Jimmy Butler wants out? KAT and Wiggins are soft, Butler isn’t and makes way less money

Why do you think Jimmy Butler wants out? KAT and Wiggins are soft, Butler isn’t and makes way less money
SAWFT

Normally I'm not a fan of players acting the way Jimmy Butler has and it's pretty unprofessional but this is one of the few times where it is probably warranted. KAT and Wiggins are both more talented, skilled, and physically gifted than Jimmy Butler........and yet game in and game out he brings it consistently and they don't. Must be incredibly frustrating to be a guy that overachieved (like Butler) and watch not just one but two guys with more talent than you squander it away.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
reports coming out now that Butler will intentionally sit out games consecutively until a trade is finalized. Which got me thinking, the Sixers could use his services, if he chose to re-sign. Butler & Embiid would be something to behold. I question if Simmons & Embiid can work long term because Simmons' shooting deficiencies and improper mechanics on the shot

reports coming out now that Butler will intentionally sit out games consecutively until a trade is finalized. Which got me thinking, the Sixers could use his services, if he chose to re-sign. Butler & Embiid would be something to behold. I question if Simmons & Embiid can work long term because Simmons' shooting deficiencies and improper mechanics on the shot
Simmons won’t be traded unless AD tells them he’d resign there