So, is Marvin living up to expectations? (split)

How is Bagley comparing to your expectations?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alot of Bagley's points come from running on fastbreaks or hanging out around the basket at the end of a play. His post moves arent new and everyone knows that he is left hand dominant. If you and I know these things, rest assured that NBA players do too.
You're right about that. I guess what I'm thinking is that teams will find something on film that will suddenly make things more difficult for him. Going to his left was a bad example because everybody can see that.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Needs to stop shooting the 3 for now. Focus on 15 feet and closer.

He has more air balls than even hitting the rim.
Really? Look, if he was chucking up 3 or 4 three's a game, I'd agree with you. But he had one game where he took 3 three's, and two games where he took no three's, and this last game where he took one three and made it. Of the Three's he taken, two of them were wide open shots. So I wouldn't have a lot of concern in that area.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
What can make Bagley super-special is that he has is excellent in both fluidity and explosiveness. You normally don't see the combination of the two, even in All Star players. Two examples of a players that are excellent in one of those characteristics are Blake Griffin and DeRozan. Griffin is explosive, not fluid. DeRozan is fluid, not particularly explosive. If you think about players in the history of the NBA, especially front court players, there just aren't that many who have both of those attributes in abundance.
I would put AD in that category, and I do see a little AD in Bagley. Both are terrific athletes with a natural feel for the game. AD came with a little better jumpshot, but like Bagley, he did some things athletically that not many players could do. After watching Bagley at Duke, I said he's just a consistent jumpshot away from stardom. I said that exact same thing about AD when he was at Kentucky.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The guy that I had strong doubts about was Wendell Carter. So far, his performances have been pretty ugly, especially in the rebounding department. We'll see...
A lot of the Pundits were high on Carter. I liked his game, but didn't have him in the same bracket with the top guys. I think I had him going somewhere between 8 and 12. I still think he'll be a solid NBA player, but I don't see all star in him. Could be wrong though...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
By the way, if anyone wants to compare Bagley and Doncic, I looked up their per 36 numbers, which is the only fair way to do it since Doncic is averaging around 33 minutes a game.

Doncic: 19.0 ppg - 15.9 attempts per game - 43.5% fgp - 31.8% 3pp - 5.9 rpg - 4.5 apg - 4.5 tov's - 1.0 spg - 0.3 bpg - Ortg 97 - Drtg 123

Bagley: 20.7 ppg - 14.3 attempts per game - 60.0% fgp - 25.0% 3pp - 10.3 rpg - 2.3 apg - 3.2 tov's - 1.8 spg - 2.1 bpg - Ortg 113 - Drtg 117

Only four games, so a bit early to draw conclusions. But obviously, Bagley has the edge so far.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
A lot of the Pundits were high on Carter. I liked his game, but didn't have him in the same bracket with the top guys. I think I had him going somewhere between 8 and 12. I still think he'll be a solid NBA player, but I don't see all star in him. Could be wrong though...
I had him as a bust, a guy who could be playing in China in a few years. Time will tell.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I would put AD in that category, and I do see a little AD in Bagley. Both are terrific athletes with a natural feel for the game. AD came with a little better jumpshot, but like Bagley, he did some things athletically that not many players could do. After watching Bagley at Duke, I said he's just a consistent jumpshot away from stardom. I said that exact same thing about AD when he was at Kentucky.
I still see AD much more in the fluid category than explosive. He's a very tall, very fluid athlete. (You could put Kareem in that category also). Another guy that I thought of that was much more of fluid type than explosive was Paul Pierce (one of my all-time favorites). Anytime you make these comparisons, you set yourself up for ridicule, but the guy that I think had both great fluidity and explosiveness in his game was Dr. J.

I haven't watched any of the Kings' games to start the season, but I have to say, it pleases me to see that Marvin Bagley has performed well out of the gate, against playoff teams, and on the road. I was torn between Bagley and Doncic as draft day approached, but I gave the slight edge to Bagley on my personal board. They've both acquitted themselves well thus far (though Marvin's been more efficient--he's posted a 20.69 PER through 4 games!).

Alot of Bagley's points come from running on fastbreaks or hanging out around the basket at the end of a play. His post moves arent new and everyone knows that he is left hand dominant. If you and I know these things, rest assured that NBA players do too.
Exactly and hes still doing good at 19 years old. Haters gonna hate though. Might be a Luka lover still haha

Being left hand dominant is a bit of an issue that has been blown out of proportion. Our own Zach Randolph himself has had an illustrious career being left hand dominant. While it would be a lot more beneficial if Marvin could finish equally well with either hand, it is far from a deciding factor in whether he has a successful NBA career or not.

Being left hand dominant is a bit of an issue that has been blown out of proportion. Our own Zach Randolph himself has had an illustrious career being left hand dominant. While it would be a lot more beneficial if Marvin could finish equally well with either hand, it is far from a deciding factor in whether he has a successful NBA career or not.
I think the point is that you have to have more than one thing to go to, unless you're Kareem with that sky hook.

Used to drive me crazy how the defense couldn't stop Manu Ginobili who always went left too. Even when he'd go right, he'd come back left most the time. He still seemed to have an alright career.

But obviously, Bagley has the edge so far.
With all due respect, it's not obvious at all. Bagley might have the edge when it comes to efficiency, but they are playing vastly different roles for their teams, and as far as skill set goes, Bagley certainly doesn't have the edge. I know this is a Kings forum, but no reason we can't be objective.

Both have been excellent so far. Marvin could end up being better but that is far from clear now. It doesn't all boil down to stats. Bags has been more efficient to start off than I expected, and I think he should be getting more minutes sooner rather than later. If he can continue with his current rate of production in higher minutes, he should be in the running for rookie of the year. Along with Ayton/Doncic/Young.

Once this kid get's a tiny bit of polish and a right hand he will be an ELITE scorer. I'm 100% convinced.
Pretty sure if we gave him the touches and the minutes there's a chance that he would be leading us in scoring right now. As is, he's already a good scorer, but the biggest thing that I did not anticipate is his capacity to learn and to learn very quickly. 2 games ago when he was driving to the hoop, he picked up a charge. Against Jokić he sidestepped out of the way and last night he found the open man.

He's a very quick study and he's got insane gifts to boot. Him and Fox are going to be close to impossible to cover as they age and get better.

I dont even think he really needs a right hand.
Given his work ethic, it's matter of when he develops it. Not if. Needs his right on defense too--will get 1 to 2 more blocks per game. Right now, he's limiting his defensive presence, because he goes for blocks only with his left.

My stance on Bagley is this:

I am so far really optimistic that he’ll turn out to be a legitimate #2 overall pick and a great piece for our future. And I think it can also be true that Luka will be a legitimate #1 overall player that was sitting there for us to take at #2.

But it didn’t shake out that way and Bagley is who we have and I’m at least glad that Vlade didn’t **** up and not take someone of Marvin’s caliber of talent and obvious physical gifts.

So I’m excited for Bagley’s future and will be rooting for his success because he’s our guy now and the kid seems to want to work which I rarely see in young folk these days. Go become an All-star off that second jump playa!!

This has been the problem with young whipper snappers for a longggggg time
You’re probably right. I apologize I just watched a Timberwolves game and KAT left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Which is shocking to me because I regarded him as one of the Top 5 assets in the league only a couple years ago.

origkds

What- Me Worry?
This has been the problem with young whipper snappers for a longggggg time
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

- Attributed to Socrates by Plato

Why am I seeing lots of people say that Bagley needs to play C? He's done a fine job at PF so far. He's not much of a floor spacer at the moment, but he is going to develop his 3pt shot over time. He's got the bounce and athleticism to play PF.

I say all of this because I think him and WCS could make a very good front court duo for the future if they both keep up this pace and improvement.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Why am I seeing lots of people say that Bagley needs to play C? He's done a fine job at PF so far. He's not much of a floor spacer at the moment, but he is going to develop his 3pt shot over time. He's got the bounce and athleticism to play PF.

I say all of this because I think him and WCS could make a very good front court duo for the future if they both keep up this pace and improvement.
Because they can't help themselves? ;)

It was said in public, which means i get to respond in public; when we mention young wipper-snappers not wanting to work hard are we only talking about young NBA wipper snapper, or all wipper-snappers in general? Repectfully request for all comments in this thread involving wipper-snappers to be moved to a seperate thread.