Kings Quotes-Media Day

Giles had a great interview with Grant and Doug on 1140 today. Giles said he goes hard at his teammates in practice and he feels like he is the one that brings the dog out in them. Said he will get after them and the next time down the court when they post up on him, it's with a whole new intensity.

This guy might wind up being the most important player on the team. Hopefully that group of nice guys we saw last year changes with the insertion of Giles on the court.

Giles had a great interview with Grant and Doug on 1140 today. Giles said he goes hard at his teammates in practice and he feels like he is the one that brings the dog out in them. Said he will get after them and the next time down the court when they post up on him, it's with a whole new intensity.

This guy might wind up being the most important player on the team. Hopefully that group of nice guys we saw last year changes with the insertion of Giles on the court.
He did. And Bagley once again showed the non-chalance that rubbed me sideways in SL again with his dismissal of the right hand issue and statement that’s he’s a good defender now if I heard/remember correctly

It’s either his self drive is fine and he doesn’t feel the need to wallow in any deficiencies, or.. I hope, it’s the former

As for the quotes above, Zach isn’t playing. He’s old, past it, and there was a need for reliance that won’t exist this year. I feel bad for Kosta though, good guy who can still contribute somewhere, but he knew what he was doing when he picked up that option

Last edited:
He did. And Bagley once again showed the non-chalance that rubbed me sideways in SL again with his dismissal of the right hand issue and statement that’s he’s a good defender now if I heard/remember correctly

It’s either his self drive is fine and he doesn’t feel the need to wallow in any deficiencies, or.. I hope, it’s the former

As for the quotes above, Zach isn’t playing. He’s old, past it, and there was a need for reliance that won’t exist this year. I feel bad for Kosta though, good guy who can still contribute somewhere, but he knew what he was doing when he picked up that option
Yeah Buddy had a great interview about working on his weaknesses and Bagley was very nonchalant about his weaknesses but Doug kind of led him down that path with the way he posed the question. Nothing wrong with a guy being extremely confident with himself but he definitely acted like playing with one hand hasn't hurt him up until this point so he said he just laughs when people say it's something he needs to work on. He might be stubborn about it right now and he may be in for a rude awakening once the season starts but I don't see him as a player who will be ok with mediocrity. It just may take a slap in the face by the NBA to get him working on it.

I actually hope we trade Kosta to a contender. He deserves it and really shouldn't be riding the pine at his age but it's the situation we're in at the moment. Hopefully something gets worked out mid season to where we can get him on a winning team playing meaningful minutes.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Yeah Buddy had a great interview about working on his weaknesses and Bagley was very nonchalant about his weaknesses but Doug kind of led him down that path with the way he posed the question. Nothing wrong with a guy being extremely confident with himself but he definitely acted like playing with one hand hasn't hurt him up until this point so he said he just laughs when people say it's something he needs to work on. He might be stubborn about it right now and he may be in for a rude awakening once the season starts but I don't see him as a player who will be ok with mediocrity. It just may take a slap in the face by the NBA to get him working on it.

I actually hope we trade Kosta to a contender. He deserves it and really shouldn't be riding the pine at his age but it's the situation we're in at the moment. Hopefully something gets worked out mid season to where we can get him on a winning team playing meaningful minutes.
The interview I saw had Bagley acknowledging that the things he did easily in college were not as easy now starting with the SL. I think he’s aware of the work he needs to do but he has some dog in him. Those guys don’t acknowledge that stuff publicly. Mindset.

The interview I saw had Bagley acknowledging that the things he did easily in college were not as easy now starting with the SL. I think he’s aware of the work he needs to do but he has some dog in him. Those guys don’t acknowledge that stuff publicly. Mindset.
Not only that, but what fool identifies his weaknesses for all his opposition to see and hear? If I'm biting the ankles of my opponent and he tells someone his knee is bruised and sore, I'm going to inch my way up there and start pounding. So tell me, WHAT FOOL TELEGRAPHS HIS WEAKNESSES TO HIS OPPONENTS?

Not only that, but what fool identifies his weaknesses for all his opposition to see and hear? If I'm biting the ankles of my opponent and he tells someone his knee is bruised and sore, I'm going to inch my way up there and start pounding. So tell me, WHAT FOOL TELEGRAPHS HIS WEAKNESSES TO HIS OPPONENTS?
What fool doesn't already know this weakness in a day and age that has hours and hours of film?

Acknowledge it or not. His opponents already know this is a weakness of his.

For god sake. Can we just let the guy get in an actual nba game before we kill him for how he response to a question about his weaknesses?
Who's killing him? I'm rooting for him and his success!

I just think the post I replied to was ridiculous. Acting as if Bagley's right hand weakness is some well kept secret.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You might want to switch to decaf for a bit...

Who's killing him? I'm rooting for him and his success!

I just think the post I replied to was ridiculous. Acting as if Bagley's right hand weakness is some well kept secret.
Sorry - not trying to direct anything specifically at you. Just the general tone the thread was starting to take....picking apart a 19 year old’s interview like it predetermines if he is serious about the game of basketball. I’d just like to be pumped about the team at least until game 1....

You might want to switch to decaf for a bit...
I know, the ALL CAPS was too much.
I guess I come from a generation that doesn't broadcast their weaknesses because your opposition will use it against you, either through physicality or through mind games. It doesn't matter if the pitcher knows you can't hit inside pitches. You want that pitcher to think you're just waiting to tag his inside pitch for a big home run. You don't walk up to the plate and say "please don't throw me any inside pitches." I think some people on this board have never played real contact sports before - except maybe for tee-ball.

I know, the ALL CAPS was too much.
I guess I come from a generation that doesn't broadcast their weaknesses because your opposition will use it against you, either through physicality or through mind games. It doesn't matter if the pitcher knows you can't hit inside pitches. You want that pitcher to think you're just waiting to tag his inside pitch for a big home run. You don't walk up to the plate and say "please don't throw me any inside pitches." I think some people on this board have never played real contact sports before - except maybe for tee-ball.
Lets be realistic here, every single scouting report on Bagley has his defense and lack of a right hand as two of his biggest weaknesses. There isn't an NBA coach in the league that doesn't already know about this. Hell, almost everyone on this board knew about this before we even drafted him so it's no secret to anybody.

All I'm saying is I hope he puts in the work. I don't want a WCS like interview in a couple years where he acknowledges that he didn't listen to his coaches because he thought he was "aight" when he really wasnt.

Lets be realistic here, every single scouting report on Bagley has his defense and lack of a right hand as two of his biggest weaknesses. There isn't an NBA coach in the league that doesn't already know about this. Hell, almost everyone on this board knew about this before we even drafted him so it's no secret to anybody.

All I'm saying is I hope he puts in the work. I don't want a WCS like interview in a couple years where he acknowledges that he didn't listen to his coaches because he thought he was "aight" when he really wasnt.
lmao "aight"

I agree with you, except that I never said it was a secret. I’m talking about broadcasting one’s own weaknesses. See the diff?

Kingster

Hall of Famer

I know what you mean. Living through the WCS experience doesn't exactly inspire confidence in player development on this team, and frankly makes me all the more sensitive to work ethic issues that may arise with others. Even Skal, who I view as a diligent worker, did not put in the work last summer that he appears to have been put in this summer. That said, I'm willing to judge every player on his own merits. Everything I've heard about Bagley concerning his work ethic has been good, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
"Yogi Ferrell said the Kings style of play is 'fast,' coaches are yelling for them to push the ball in the gym."

I like the quote. Now I want to hear from the centers and forwards about the coaches telling them to outlet the ball "fast" once they get a defensive rebound.

Last year Joerger talked about playing fast. See this article in 2017: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/kings-blog/article176490566.html

This year Joerger talks about playing fast: http://www.dailyjournal.net/2018/09/24/bkn-media-day-kings/

It's put up or shut the heck up for Joerger when it comes to playing fast. They are using the right words. Now let's see the consistent and undeniable commitment to run during the course of the season.

dude12

Hall of Famer
"Yogi Ferrell said the Kings style of play is 'fast,' coaches are yelling for them to push the ball in the gym."

I like the quote. Now I want to hear from the centers and forwards about the coaches telling them to outlet the ball "fast" once they get a defensive rebound.

Last year Joerger talked about playing fast. See this article in 2017: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/kings-blog/article176490566.html

This year Joerger talks about playing fast: http://www.dailyjournal.net/2018/09/24/bkn-media-day-kings/

It's put up or shut the heck up for Joerger when it comes to playing fast. They are using the right words. Now let's see the consistent and undeniable commitment to run during the course of the season.
Joerger said it’s a commitment to run....like offensive rebounding. You go after it on the boards 9 times and dont get the ball, will you go after it a 10th time.
Same on running, this is on the players to do it and commit to it. They have the pieces in place to do it. Not sure what else the staff has to do to get them to run as much as possible

I agree with you, except that I never said it was a secret. I’m talking about broadcasting one’s own weaknesses. See the diff?
I guess we will just agree to disagree then because I don't think it matters if you talk about a weakness that everyone already knows about. Just means you're aware of it and ready to work on it. Maybe he is and he's just talking confidently but there is a possibility that he also thinks there is nothing wrong at all with his game so that's the part people are going to wonder about.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Joerger said it’s a commitment to run....like offensive rebounding. You go after it on the boards 9 times and dont get the ball, will you go after it a 10th time.
Same on running, this is on the players to do it and commit to it. They have the pieces in place to do it. Not sure what else the staff has to do to get them to run as much as possible
Bench them. If a guy doesn't want to play fast, then he doesn't have to play, period.