Skal looking to make leap in year 3

Vlade and Dave talked about a rebuild that will take years, and I am just so surprised that people all over the internet are having tantrums over the W/L during that span.

I don't agree that the level of competitiveness had been deplorable under their regime. I think it has been consistent with the complete overhaul triggered by the DMC trade. I've enjoyed a lot of the games. The roster has been crappy so the record has been crappy but I don't think it is because Dave is a bad coach. To me he is overwhelmingly the best coach since Adelman.

I'm really more pissed about the years before that trade than I am about the years after. And I'm excited for the future, at the same time as I see a big segment of the fan base just beyond melted down.

I think Vlade & Dave deserve this full year at least - unless there is some disastrous morale crisis that needs intervention. But I think it is just going to begin to come together - a younger more athletic roster than I have EVER seen. Why won't everyone give it chance... beats me.
Great post.

Vlade and Dave talked about a rebuild that will take years, and I am just so surprised that people all over the internet are having tantrums over the W/L during that span.

I don't agree that the level of competitiveness had been deplorable under their regime. I think it has been consistent with the complete overhaul triggered by the DMC trade. I've enjoyed a lot of the games. The roster has been crappy so the record has been crappy but I don't think it is because Dave is a bad coach. To me he is overwhelmingly the best coach since Adelman.

I'm really more pissed about the years before that trade than I am about the years after. And I'm excited for the future, at the same time as I see a big segment of the fan base just beyond melted down.

I think Vlade & Dave deserve this full year at least - unless there is some disastrous morale crisis that needs intervention. But I think it is just going to begin to come together - a younger more athletic roster than I have EVER seen. Why won't everyone give it chance... beats me.
Ya I’m not firing either especially until 2years gotta give them a chance with the young guys developing. Don’t wanna do Vlade like they did Hinkie in Philadelphia, however is Joerger doesn’t have the team running and doing a lot of pick and roll I’d look somewhere else

....but why? eeek. We have no #1 option. Bagley played below average in SL... Fox is a big wild card, he'll either be good or just decent. Buddy and Bogdan are winning players, but it's not safe to assume that either will make a big jump in their game. WCS...how motivated is he? Giles is a $3 scratchoff ticket. Skal looked like a deer in headlights in year 2... low IQ was the biggest problem. Individual workout highlights in an open gym tells us nothing..

man. over 25.5wins? I don't see it, especially if our plan this year is to give the majority of the minutes to the young guys... which it should be.
Well the short answer is because I like to win :D Every season I process of eliminate every teams projected wins down to my favorite, and I've won every year since I started, 5 seasons in a row now... My gut tells me the Kings over this season is easy, and only "on sale" cuz Marvin didn't crush SL...

Last season I took the under on the Kings 29 wins btw and won, so this would just be a double-or-nothing type situation. I predicted they'd bog down the offense with vets like Zbo.. I think we'll see the opposite affect once the training wheels go off.

Marvin Bagley is the Kings #1 option... once people wrap their minds around this, it's much easier to see the Kings direction moving forward because they have several great candidates for #2 and #3 type options..

Skal shot 35% from 3 and 80% from the stripe in the season he turned 22.. Just steady marginal year-over-year increases for him will result in getting a decent sized deal.. He looks great, I've seen this kid since he was a twig in HS, just looking at him you can tell he's put in crazy work this offseason. He could turn into a major trade chip, same for Giles. I don't understand why people feel justified being HYPER-CRITICAL about these 2 individuals, they cost pennies on the dollar in a cap sense, give them a chance... lol

Just incremental progress from players like fox and justin jackson, crap if the Kings can get solid backup PG play... it can have a profound effect on the win total.

The Kings have no incentive to tank. I like that for these bets. I also like low # overs, a few years ago I bet Portland over 27½ wins and they beat the # by the ASB, and made the playoffs. There's low hanging fruit to be plucked if u find the right out-performer... also the teams projected with higher wins are more tethered to possible game-changing (bet-breaking) injuries.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
....but why? eeek. We have no #1 option. Bagley played below average in SL... Fox is a big wild card, he'll either be good or just decent. Buddy and Bogdan are winning players, but it's not safe to assume that either will make a big jump in their game. WCS...how motivated is he? Giles is a $3 scratchoff ticket. Skal looked like a deer in headlights in year 2... low IQ was the biggest problem. Individual workout highlights in an open gym tells us nothing..

man. over 25.5wins? I don't see it, especially if our plan this year is to give the majority of the minutes to the young guys... which it should be.
I think we'll steal a few from teams "resting" their stars. ;)

Well the short answer is because I like to win :D Every season I process of eliminate every teams projected wins down to my favorite, and I've won every year since I started, 5 seasons in a row now... My gut tells me the Kings over this season is easy, and only "on sale" cuz Marvin didn't crush SL...

Last season I took the under on the Kings 29 wins btw and won, so this would just be a double-or-nothing type situation. I predicted they'd bog down the offense with vets like Zbo.. I think we'll see the opposite affect once the training wheels go off.

Marvin Bagley is the Kings #1 option... once people wrap their minds around this, it's much easier to see the Kings direction moving forward because they have several great candidates for #2 and #3 type options..

Skal shot 35% from 3 and 80% from the stripe in the season he turned 22.. Just steady marginal year-over-year increases for him will result in getting a decent sized deal.. He looks great, I've seen this kid since he was a twig in HS, just looking at him you can tell he's put in crazy work this offseason. He could turn into a major trade chip, same for Giles. I don't understand why people feel justified being HYPER-CRITICAL about these 2 individuals, they cost pennies on the dollar in a cap sense, give them a chance... lol

Just incremental progress from players like fox and justin jackson, crap if the Kings can get solid backup PG play... it can have a profound effect on the win total.

The Kings have no incentive to tank. I like that for these bets. I also like low # overs, a few years ago I bet Portland over 27½ wins and they beat the # by the ASB, and made the playoffs. There's low hanging fruit to be plucked if u find the right out-performer... also the teams projected with higher wins are more tethered to possible game-changing (bet-breaking) injuries.
I don't see Bagley as our #1 option, at least not year. I think Bagley has one of the highest ceilings in the draft, but I think the problem is that he's raw right now. A rookie Blake Griffin-type of success could be possible, but do you think Joerger can put him in a role that'll allow him to succeed in that way? WCS is best in PnR, but we saw Joerger take that away from his game because he wanted Willie to develop other parts of his game. Will he have the same approach for Bagley? This is why I think Joerger could potentially be on the hot seat next year. He needs to show that he can develop a game plan that'll play to these player's strengths. SL doesn't always mean anything, but I wouldn't take away #1 option from what we saw out of Bagley.

Skal put up eh splits. Yeah he shot 35.3% from 3pt, but he only attempted 51 last year with 0.9 attempts/game. Just for reference, Fox attempted 153 in 13 more games. I don't think anyone is being hyper critical of Skal. Most players drafted at #28 wash out of the league after a few years. In our case, we have a player who has the potential to be a starter in this league. However, Skal had a very disappointing 2nd year campaign. I think people are disappointed about that.

Well basketball is still about 2 months away..so we'll see.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Kings have no number one option until someone steps up and takes command of that spot. Until then, it's scoring by committee and a lot of the Kings' players will average around 12-15 PPG

Kings have no number one option until someone steps up and takes command of that spot. Until then, it's scoring by committee and a lot of the Kings' players will average around 12-15 PPG
I think you're talking about last years Kings.. Marvin is gonna average double-digit scoring right away unless they baby him... from there I expect to see his scoring go up incrementally every month.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think you're talking about last years Kings.. Marvin is gonna average double-digit scoring right away unless they baby him... from there I expect to see his scoring go up incrementally every month.
Sure, he can average double digit scoring but I'm not expecting anything in the 18-20 PPG from his rookie season, more so in the numbers I've mentioned in my prior post, 12-15 PPG

Sure, he can average double digit scoring but I'm not expecting anything in the 18-20 PPG from his rookie season, more so in the numbers I've mentioned in my prior post, 12-15 PPG
I'm not sure what to expect from him. I knew he would be one of the best players in college last year, but didn't expect him to put up 21 & 11. It was something that is simply never done by a Freshman, especially in the ACC.

In terms of who's good at playing basketball right now ... not down the road ... Skal is probably the 6th best big guy on a team that's going to chase wins this season. I'm very skeptical Skal ever figure it out, but I really doubt he regularly plays much this year

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure what to expect from him. I knew he would be one of the best players in college last year, but didn't expect him to put up 21 & 11. It was something that is simply never done by a Freshman, especially in the ACC.
I don't want to go and say that it's not an impressive feat but that is irrelevant now in my opinion and it's time for him to further work on his craft and not come into the league as a rookie and think he can score the same way he did for Duke. Reading about Marvin and listening to his interviews, he seems like a bright dude and willing to put in the work so I have no doubts from him on that aspect but the question remains whether he is THE franchise player moving forward or just another complimentary piece.

I don't want to go and say that it's not an impressive feat but that is irrelevant now in my opinion and it's time for him to further work on his craft and not come into the league as a rookie and think he can score the same way he did for Duke. Reading about Marvin and listening to his interviews, he seems like a bright dude and willing to put in the work so I have no doubts from him on that aspect but the question remains whether he is THE franchise player moving forward or just another complimentary piece.
Obviously, he needs to continue to work and improve. My point was that he has spent his whole life (in basketball) with big expectations put on him. He has exceeded those expectations most of the time.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
By all accounts Marvin is putting in the work, and as Tele stated, he's excelled at every level, so there's no reason to think he won't excel in the NBA. I admit that it's a big jump, because up to now, he's always been going up against a similar age group with similar experience. That will change in the NBA when he'll be going up against other players that are great athlete's, and who have years of experience at the highest level. So yeah, there will be an adjustment period, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him struggle from time to time.

As my coach once told me, if your not failing, your not learning. Success is built on failure, as long as you learn from it. By the way I saw this video of Skal and I'm not sure if it's been posted or not, so here it is.

My gripe with Bagley is his skill set is becoming outdated and we had a guy with a new age skill set right there on the board and didn't pick him. Harrison Barnes was on The Jump the other day and he lit up when they asked him about scrimmaging with Doncic and he said this kid's got dimes.

I had him much further down on my draft list than most people because I didn't think a guy who just finds himself open around the rim and dunks it is nearly as important to a team as a guy with Doncic's or even Wendell Carter's skill set. Hope I'm wrong here and even if he had a good summer league, I'd still be saying the same thing because the league is trending one way and the Kings drafted another way.

My gripe with Bagley is his skill set is becoming outdated
sorry but I had to stop right there. you are treading in much hotter water than you realize. This is prime bump material. Putting the ball in the basket with ease will never be outdated.

Marvin is gonna see time at SF... He's gonna look like a thoroughbred out there not an outdated model. He has elite bodycontrol at 6'11. He's quick as a cat.

sorry but I had to stop right there. you are treading in much hotter water than you realize. This is prime bump material. Putting the ball in the basket with ease will never be outdated.

Marvin is gonna see time at SF... He's gonna look like a thoroughbred out there not an outdated model. He has elite bodycontrol at 6'11. He's quick as a cat.
He's not going to put the ball in the basket with ease in the NBA. He's going to have to work just as hard as any of the other bigs on the squad to score. You can't just pogo stick your way to 20ppg in the NBA. We're going to need to see a lot more from this guy than we've seen up to this point. The majority of his college baskets came from him simply moving back and forth in the post until he got some daylight and had a guard throw the ball up to him over a small defender.

Time at SF? I mean Justin Jackson was a pretty bad shooter from that position last year and you want Bagley playing the same position? Did you miss the 10 air balls he shot in SL? He has a long long way to go to even become a good shooter at the 4 or the 5. Let alone the 3.

Lol Fox has a better chance seeing time at center than Bagley at SF

My gripe with Bagley is his skill set is becoming outdated and we had a guy with a new age skill set right there on the board and didn't pick him. Harrison Barnes was on The Jump the other day and he lit up when they asked him about scrimmaging with Doncic and he said this kid's got dimes.

I had him much further down on my draft list than most people because I didn't think a guy who just finds himself open around the rim and dunks it is nearly as important to a team as a guy with Doncic's or even Wendell Carter's skill set. Hope I'm wrong here and even if he had a good summer league, I'd still be saying the same thing because the league is trending one way and the Kings drafted another way.
I feel the same.. it’s not good when you feel as if your number 2 pick was the carbon copy of being great at everything non transferable. We had the two pick, and I personally have him 5/6 in the players I’m looking at going forward for this team. Someone’s got to be held accountable if it goes that way, and that’s if. Too big of a whiff at 2 maybe to keep anyone associated if our fears play out this season (and yes, trajectory counts)

I’m still skeptical that Giles has the vertical athleticism to be elite. Some summer scrimmage videos of direct drives aside, he was not a high flyer in summer league. Good side to side speed, used space, knew how to move. Sample size for both is small for both, so who knows.

But if Giles is the real deal and the Kings believed that 3 months ago, reaching for Bagley over Doncic is even stranger than it seemed before

He's going to have to work extremely hard at his handle if he's playing SF. I get it he needs to work at his shot, but ball handling is also crucial for perimeter players.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
When Bajaden was in high school, the metric system was not in common use in the U.S. He was certainly running 100-yard dashes, not 100-meter dashes. For reference, it appears that the record time in the 100-yard dash is under 9.1 and a top-25 time ever is under 9.4, so top high-school kids running it at 9.8 is not out of the question. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100-yard_dash
The runner who ran the, yes, 100 yard dash was named Rufus Davis. He was also the star of our football team and he went on to be one of the top running backs at the University of Missouri. Can't remember the name of the other runner other than his last name was Hughes. Up until that time, no one had ever beat me in a foot race. Unfortunately, since my school already had two runners faster than me to run the 100 yard dash, I had to run the 440, which I detested. Your basically running 440 yards like it was a 100 yard dash. Baseball was my game. Much easier!

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Well, I think if your name is Zach Randolph, and your 38 years old, it's fair to say that your skill set is becoming outdated. But its a bit of a stretch to say that about a 19 year old. If you want to say that Bagley has some holes in his game that need to be filled, I'm on board with that. Just about every rookie in the league has the same problem to some extent, but I wouldn't bet against him becoming a great player. When your 6'11", and as athletic as Bagley, and as hard a worker, the whole world is your oyster.

I'd say he has a few more options available than lets say, Papagiannis. :p

I’m still skeptical that Giles has the vertical athleticism to be elite. Some summer scrimmage videos of direct drives aside, he was not a high flyer in summer league. Good side to side speed, used space, knew how to move. Sample size for both is small for both, so who knows.

But if Giles is the real deal and the Kings believed that 3 months ago, reaching for Bagley over Doncic is even stranger than it seemed before
Expecting or hoping for him to be elite is terrible pressure on him and you're only setting yourself up for dissapointment. Honestly I would be happy if he he becomes a good NBA starter. That's excellent return on a #20 overall pick.

Expecting or hoping for him to be elite is terrible pressure on him and you're only setting yourself up for dissapointment. Honestly I would be happy if he he becomes a good NBA starter. That's excellent return on a #20 overall pick.
I don’t expect Giles to be elite or anything close to that