Skal looking to make leap in year 3

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I really dont... LMAO I remember thinking Harry Giles looks like one of the best 10th grade basketball players/bigs I've ever seen, and just a few years later there was no doubt in my mind that Marvin was superior at the same stage.
While I don't totally disagree with you, I think it's a hard call one way or the other. Personally, I think Giles had better handles and a better jumpshot. But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
When I was a freshman in highschool I went out for the track team and I ran the 100 in 10.6 seconds. Fast, but not fast enough since we had a couple of guys that ran it in 9.8 and 9.9 respectively. I spent the following summer working on strengthening my legs as well as my upper body. I went from 155 pounds to 165 pounds. When I re-tested for the 100 I ran it in 10.0 flat. So although my legs were stronger, and bigger, I ran faster. It all depends on what kind of weight your adding. Muscle will easily support itself. Fat won't!
Strengthening your legs is important, no doubt. I'm saying that you don't want to add too much muscle mass to the legs because that weight will slow a player down if they are too heavy on top and bottom. It's also much easier for a male athlete to pack on fat in the upper body than his lower body.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think he has more talent than anyone on the team. There's a difference
I could name a lot of players that were loaded with talent, and never lived up to expectations. Look, I like Skal and I'm still pulling for him, but he's had some opportunities and fell short. I'll admit that he's had some injuries at very inopportune times. Call it bad luck if you will, but time keeps marching on and waits for no one. The Kings aren't running a day care center. Skal has to step up quickly, or he'll be a forgotten player at the end of the bench.

When you said he needed to get mad, you struck on his problem. I call it lack of confidence. Skal looks like he plays scared at time, and yet other times, he's extremely aggressive. Will the real Skal step up. Willie gets called out for inconsistency, and rightly so, but Skal has been even more inconsistent than Willie. All the talent in the world is meaningless if you can't put it to use.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Strengthening your legs is important, no doubt. I'm saying that you don't want to add too much muscle mass to the legs because that weight will slow a player down if they are too heavy on top and bottom. It's also much easier for a male athlete to pack on fat in the upper body than his lower body.
Don't disagree! It's all about balance. I have to assume that Skal is working with a professional trainer, and if so, I have to assume that he knows what he's doing. Hey, we'll find out soon enough. I'm rooting for him to have a breakout year. Even if we don't have room on the team for him, he becomes a valuable asset that some other team will want.

When I was a freshman in highschool I went out for the track team and I ran the 100 in 10.6 seconds. Fast, but not fast enough since we had a couple of guys that ran it in 9.8 and 9.9 respectively. I spent the following summer working on strengthening my legs as well as my upper body. I went from 155 pounds to 165 pounds. When I re-tested for the 100 I ran it in 10.0 flat. So although my legs were stronger, and bigger, I ran faster. It all depends on what kind of weight your adding. Muscle will easily support itself. Fat won't!
Are you just making stuff up? Those would be all time top 25 times ever, for Olympians, let alone High School kids.

Are you just making stuff up? Those would be all time top 25 times ever, for Olympians, let alone High School kids.
Yeah I was like really, when I saw that also, I remember back in my high school time in 09, when I wanted to compare my stats with USA runners, I was looking up the fastest high school runner at that season and it was like 10.03 if I remember correctly.

There is no way they ran 9.8 and 9.9 that's like already Olympic result.

100 yards or 100 meters? a 10 second 100yd dash would equal about a 10.94 100 meter dash.

http://www.milesplit.com/calc?time=10&event=100y

I think Skal's physical and mental weakenesses will be exposed playing against the current bigs on the Kings' roster. He just has not had enough time playing the game to compete at this level.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
When Bajaden was in high school, the metric system was not in common use in the U.S. He was certainly running 100-yard dashes, not 100-meter dashes. For reference, it appears that the record time in the 100-yard dash is under 9.1 and a top-25 time ever is under 9.4, so top high-school kids running it at 9.8 is not out of the question. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100-yard_dash

I think he has more talent than anyone on the team. There's a difference
He has the lowest basketball IQ on the team if you don't count Ben McLemore. He actually parreles very well with McLemore. Both guys are great athletes and at a quick glance look like players, both have good looking strokes. Once the game gets going though the game speed is just too much for them, mentally they just don't process the game fast enough and end up looking very mechanical and telegraphed.

When Bajaden was in high school, the metric system was not in common use in the U.S. He was certainly running 100-yard dashes, not 100-meter dashes. For reference, it appears that the record time in the 100-yard dash is under 9.1 and a top-25 time ever is under 9.4, so top high-school kids running it at 9.8 is not out of the question. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100-yard_dash
I knew he was old, didn't know he was older than math. ;)

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Don't disagree! It's all about balance. I have to assume that Skal is working with a professional trainer, and if so, I have to assume that he knows what he's doing. Hey, we'll find out soon enough. I'm rooting for him to have a breakout year. Even if we don't have room on the team for him, he becomes a valuable asset that some other team will want.
I just hope that Skal at least becomes a rotational player for the Kings if anything at all, anything more would be gravy. There is lots of competition for him right now on this team and that may make him better or a towel waver.

That was the first year records were kept.

I never said he could be as good as Capela nor am I making the arguement he will be anything more than a starting caliber Center. The only reason I responded to this thread is because I am super low on Skal and someone said he is better than WCS and I just view that as categorically false. Skal has as low a basketball IQ as you will find at this level(Ben McLemore bad). Defensively he is clueless(while Willie has shown when engaged he can read pick and roll pretty well). Laterally and defending in space Skal is as bad as 37 year old ZBo(Willie is very good at switching onto guards and forward and holding his own). Offensively he is a complete black hole in the post and isn't even good(Willie at least makes his moves quick when he's in there, not that I'm saying that should be a regular thing). Skal seems very mentally fragile which I'm not a fan of at this level, in a way he reminds me of the big man version of Ben McLemore. You think he could be good and certain parts of their games look the part but they completely fall apart once the competition gets tough.
I contend with confidence that Skal is going to prove you wrong. The guy has patience on offense high release and a feathery touch. The Haitian Sensation baby! You don't see this? He's bulked up this off season, so now he has to play defense without getting overpowered. No excuses anymore. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. He's better than Ben because he has the scoring instincts Ben lacks. Defensively I am not sure yet. But I do know bulking up will prevent him from being overpowered and that is more than half the battle. One other thing, Skal is NOT mentally fragile. No way. He was jerked around by a coach who did not trust him. His injury to end last season prevented what I think what would have been an impressive run. If Skal achieves his potential or near to it this season, something will have to give between he and Willie minutes wise. I am not sure they can harmoniously coexist in a frontcourt that includes Bagley and Giles. Willie and Skal are centers. Giles is a hybrid but probably best at center. This is still to be determined. Bagley is yet to be determined too but more of a combo forward. So you have three guys whom you are heavily invested likely be best at center. I would bet on Giles and Skal over Willie. I don't trust Willie. He's a flighty underachiever who talks a big game in lieu of substance. Skal does not offer such noxious pretense. I have no reason to have similar doubts where Skal is concerned.

Because it is fun for lots of people to relentlessly bash coaches and GMs on the Internet no matter what the facts are.

I worry about where all the angry and empty lives will turn for a whipping boy when/if Dave and Vlade are gone. Carmichael Dave will let them know I guess.
Vlade and Dave are beyond reproach during their tenure, is that what you want us to believe? What a joke, John Galt. The wins and loss record and negative point differential speaks for itself. The level of competitiveness has been deplorable for 2-3 years under their regime. That fact is impervious to your spin. I would suggest it takes someone with an angry and empty life to defend the indefensible. With that said I have defended Vlade recently for a string of gloriorious moves after the botched Boogie trade:
  • Bagley Pick over Luka
  • Yogi Signing
  • Belly Signing
  • Temple Trade
  • Hill Trade (saving 9M!)
  • LaVine attempted signing
  • Mario attempted signing

Last edited by a moderator:
He’s talented, a good kid and ready to go. Can’t stop that innate smoothness and work ethic. I personally have more confidence in him than any big on the team but Giles. I don’t know if that represents a over-love for Skal or a bit of a distressing opinion on other bigs besides those two, probably both

Last edited:
Dude you had some speed!

He has the lowest basketball IQ on the team if you don't count Ben McLemore. He actually parreles very well with McLemore. Both guys are great athletes and at a quick glance look like players, both have good looking strokes. Once the game gets going though the game speed is just too much for them, mentally they just don't process the game fast enough and end up looking very mechanical and telegraphed.
Skal doesn’t have the game experience of Ben which provides a sliver of hope.

He’s talented, a good kid and ready to go. Can’t stop that innate smoothness and work ethic. I personally have more confidence in him than any big on the team but Giles. I don’t know if that represents a over-love for Skal or a bit of a distressing opinion on other bigs besides those two, probably both
I dont think Skal has that innate work ethic but I think Bogi and Giles set a new tone for this team. I heard Giles was working with ZBo and Skal then joined them. But Giles has to initiate it. We shall see if Skal has improved.

While I don't totally disagree with you, I think it's a hard call one way or the other. Personally, I think Giles had better handles and a better jumpshot. But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Giles had better handles for sure and for sure was more confident in his shot.. He was able to handle the ball on the break at 6'10 at that age in spectacular fashion, crossovers, spin moves, nice dump-off passes. Harry had a dazzling array of tricks up his sleeve for a big that age. His footwork while approaching more calculated.

Marvin to me tho is different, he is just more of a natural, it's like a timing thing... Plus you know I like to try and gauge "Staying Power" as Harry's stock deteriorated week-by-week I couldn't help but think of Marvin and conclude "This is not gonna happen to him, he's going to be drafted right at the top"

I'll always remember seeing a young Andre Drummond like 9th or 10th grade and thinking only some crazy off-court tragedy can stop this kid from making the NBA, I kinda had the same feeling seeing a young Harry and Marvin.

FWIW --- if we're gauging shooting at that stage Skal was ahead of both of them.... I believe he shot 88% from the FT stripe and took all the technical attempts for his HS team Sophomore year (back when he was playing in Tennessee and Memphis was perceived as his likely college destination)

I love what Skal game could be but how does he get playing time. We got Giles and Bagley to go with KK and you know ZBo is getting his minutes
G-league

I don't mean to be flippant, but I think (and I guess most people agree) that it's too soon to give up on Skal.

Next year, we won't have Z-Bo, likely Kosta, and maybe even Willie. Hopefully, we can turn them into something rather than losing them for free, but almost certainly, we'll lose several front court players, who played lot of minutes last year. A majority of those will likely go to Bagley and Giles, but Skal can and should be in the mix. Trading him now, when his value is low, doesn't make sense.

I dont think Skal has that innate work ethic but I think Bogi and Giles set a new tone for this team. I heard Giles was working with ZBo and Skal then joined them. But Giles has to initiate it. We shall see if Skal has improved.
I always hear the opposite. That Skal is an extremely hard worker. In fact, the guy in video says as much right at the beginning.

Vlade and Dave are beyond reproach during their tenure, is that what you want us to believe? What a joke, John Galt. The wins and loss record and negative point differential speaks for itself. The level of competitiveness has been deplorable for 2-3 years under their regime. That fact is impervious to your spin. I would suggest it takes someone with an angry and empty life to defend the indefensible. With that said I have defended Vlade recently for a string of gloriorious moves after the botched Boogie trade:
  • Bagley Pick over Luka
  • Yogi Signing
  • Belly Signing
  • Temple Trade
  • Hill Trade (saving 9M!)
  • LaVine attempted signing
  • Mario attempted signing
Vlade and Dave talked about a rebuild that will take years, and I am just so surprised that people all over the internet are having tantrums over the W/L during that span.

I don't agree that the level of competitiveness had been deplorable under their regime. I think it has been consistent with the complete overhaul triggered by the DMC trade. I've enjoyed a lot of the games. The roster has been crappy so the record has been crappy but I don't think it is because Dave is a bad coach. To me he is overwhelmingly the best coach since Adelman.

I'm really more pissed about the years before that trade than I am about the years after. And I'm excited for the future, at the same time as I see a big segment of the fan base just beyond melted down.

I think Vlade & Dave deserve this full year at least - unless there is some disastrous morale crisis that needs intervention. But I think it is just going to begin to come together - a younger more athletic roster than I have EVER seen. Why won't everyone give it chance... beats me.

Skal looks great.... Jeez... I'm gonna put a bunch of $$$$ on the Kings going over 25½ wins... I think its safe. I think the Kings will be stronger than people realize come the ASB and steal a bunch of wins down the final stretch.
....but why? eeek. We have no #1 option. Bagley played below average in SL... Fox is a big wild card, he'll either be good or just decent. Buddy and Bogdan are winning players, but it's not safe to assume that either will make a big jump in their game. WCS...how motivated is he? Giles is a $3 scratchoff ticket. Skal looked like a deer in headlights in year 2... low IQ was the biggest problem. Individual workout highlights in an open gym tells us nothing..

man. over 25.5wins? I don't see it, especially if our plan this year is to give the majority of the minutes to the young guys... which it should be.