Basketball IQ

Since we are all in the duldroms waiting for camp to start. How would you rank this team in terms of basketball IQ?

Bogdan
Giles
Randolph
Beli
Schumpert
Jackson

Would be my top 6

Bogdan

ZBO
Yogi
Bjelicia
Giles
Koufos
Jackson
Buddy

Fox
Shumpert
Willie
Mason
Bagley

Davis

McLemore

Skal

If they had drafted Doncic he would be in a tier above Bogi. Elite Basketball IQ is the one constant with all stars throughout NBA history. Kings passed on a guy with Elite IQ in Doncic for a guy with below average to poor in Bagley.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bogdan

ZBO
Yogi
Bjelicia
Giles
Koufos
Jackson
Buddy

Fox
Shumpert
Willie
Mason
Bagley

Davis

Bag of chips

Skal

Garlic fries

McLemore

If they had drafted Doncic he would be in a tier above Bogi. Elite Basketball IQ is the one constant with all stars throughout NBA history. Kings passed on a guy with Elite IQ in Doncic for a guy with below average to poor in Bagley.
Fixed it for you. ;)

I'm thinking there is rather has judgement being passed on the younger players, especially Marvin Bagley. My answer is that it remains to be seen:)
Just from what I have seen his court awareness just isn't very high, relies heavily on his motor and athleticism. Hopefully he improves but basketball IQ is largely natural, you can improve incrementally with age but the top guys just have a natural feel for the game above the rest.

Just from what I have seen his court awareness just isn't very high, relies heavily on his motor and athleticism. Hopefully he improves but basketball IQ is largely natural, you can improve incrementally with age but the top guys just have a natural feel for the game above the rest.
He has not set foot on a NBA floor for a regular season game yet:cool:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
too much youth on the team to accurately determine ones IQ in my opinion, but from the eye test, I'd say it's Bogs, Fox, Giles & Jackson and then the rest as of right now

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
this kid is a damn phenom too.... LOL.... Has been for a long time..
Hey, a couple of lackluster showings in a few Summer League games after minimal practice is enough to invalidate everything we already knew about him, right?

Fact of the matter is, if anybody is our superstar, it is almost certainly Marvin Bagley. For all the talent Giles has, he probably will not have the long-term health to be that guy. Fox is ridiculously quick, but doesn't have the shooting stroke or passing instinct to get to that level. Hield is a sharpshooter, but a role player. Bogdan is a guard-of-all-trades, but again not the guy you game-plan against. We don't have a 2019 pick. For the next two years, Marvin Bagley is the guy we have to hitch our wagon to. He has been nothing but great at every level thus far. Maybe he doesn't pan out, but if you don't believe in Bagley, there's not much reason to watch the Kings for the next couple of years.

dude12

Hall of Famer
What might Bagley be like in 3 years? That is what the focus should be. Not what he is after a handful of Summer League games. Get the vets around him this year and he’s will be ok as he learns.

He has not set foot on a NBA floor for a regular season game yet:cool:
I’m not sure basketball IQ is something you develop and his didn’t look that good at Duke

And to all the guys bashing guys judging his summer league game a little need to stop. If Bagley came out there going 20-10 same guys who say SL ain’t nothing would proclaim him the second coming

dude12

Hall of Famer
I’m not sure basketball IQ is something you develop and his didn’t look that good at Duke

And to all the guys bashing guys judging his summer league game a little need to stop. If Bagley came out there going 20-10 same guys who say SL ain’t nothing would proclaim him the second coming
There’s no bashing going on, just trying to help some guys keep things in perspective.

Hey, a couple of lackluster showings in a few Summer League games after minimal practice is enough to invalidate everything we already knew about him, right?

Fact of the matter is, if anybody is our superstar, it is almost certainly Marvin Bagley. For all the talent Giles has, he probably will not have the long-term health to be that guy. Fox is ridiculously quick, but doesn't have the shooting stroke or passing instinct to get to that level. Hield is a sharpshooter, but a role player. Bogdan is a guard-of-all-trades, but again not the guy you game-plan against. We don't have a 2019 pick. For the next two years, Marvin Bagley is the guy we have to hitch our wagon to. He has been nothing but great at every level thus far. Maybe he doesn't pan out, but if you don't believe in Bagley, there's not much reason to watch the Kings for the next couple of years.
I think the (MANY) people here ATTEMPTING to marginalize the talent of DeAaron Fox are similarly absurd too..

I've watched as much or more De'Aaron Fox than anyone here.... I watched him in HS, in AAU, every game in college and every game as a king... There is simply no one here who's seen him more than me..... and I thoroughly disagree with like 97% of the posts here made about fox -- Many of these posts are wild blanket statements, y'all are in such a rush to gift wrap everything and tie a bow on something, you don't even know what you got.

I'd compare it to the old warriors fans who liked Monta Ellis over Steph Curry ---- I believe many here are playing in this realm of stupidity/disillusionment..

People in general feel the need to put labels on things, it makes them feel more secure and threads like this are the ugly step-child of this behavior.....

What about experience? Were just gonna address the topic of "BBIQ" and not mention experience? Thats objective to you?

Last edited:
Since we are all in the duldroms waiting for camp to start. How would you rank this team in terms of basketball IQ?

Bogdan
Giles
Randolph
Beli
Schumpert
Jackson

Would be my top 6
Agree with your picks. KK has a well developed IQ for a big man. Love to see a PG creep up into that group. All three could do it but it would be great if one did.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I find Buddy to be a very interesting case. I thought his BBIQ definitely improved in the 2nd half of last year. You saw him make quick lob passes to the big man off the dribble that you'd never expect him to make during his rookie year. Those are passes a point guard normally makes. Maybe Buddy had the BBIQ all along, but just didn't have the dribbling skills to use that BBIQ in making plays for others; once he got the handles he started showing the BBIQ.

From the film I saw of Bjelica, it looks to me like he's a high BBIQ guy.

Bogs is a given in high BBIQ, though I do think he over-dribbles sometimes.

Not worried at all about Fox in the BBIQ department. His passing is under-rated and will continue to improve as he gets comfortable with his teammates. After a summer of watching film it wouldn't surprise me if makes a very large jump in decision-making this coming season, and I thought he was pretty good last year.

We saw some of Giles BBIQ in summer league, but I expect we'll see a lot more during the regular season.

I have read through the posts now and will pass on my view. This thread has nothing to do with Bagley or Fox. Both had great potential when drafted and still do. As always, time will tell.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer

What? No Willie? :p

I think the (MANY) people here ATTEMPTING to marginalize the talent of DeAaron Fox are similarly absurd too..

I've watched as much or more De'Aaron Fox than anyone here.... I watched him in HS, in AAU, every game in college and every game as a king... There is simply no one here who's seen him more than me..... and I thoroughly disagree with like 97% of the posts here made about fox -- Many of these posts are wild blanket statements, y'all are in such a rush to gift wrap everything and tie a bow on something, you don't even know what you got.

I'd compare it to the old warriors fans who liked Monta Ellis over Steph Curry ---- I believe many here are playing in this realm of stupidity/disillusionment..

People in general feel the need to put labels on things, it makes them feel more secure and threads like this are the ugly step-child of this behavior.....

What about experience? Were just gonna address the topic of "BBIQ" and not mention experience? Thats objective to you?
Okay, I’m the first to admit I’m one of those people. And if you watched DeAaron in high school and AAU, I assume you are a relative or a close friend. My son played Olympic Water Polo, my future son-in-law played basketball at a Big East program and my nephew plays football at USC. I get what it’s like to read people you care about getting critiqued or worse ripped.

First off, I think DeAaron is a good person and if you are his parents, relative, or mentor you should be proud. In what really matters in life DeAaron is a winner. That being said, I’m not a huge fan of his game as a point guard. He struggles to find open shooters at the 3 point line. With our shooters that fact is a big deal. He has also struggled with defensive rotations. I hope he gets better as a fan of the Kings. But as of this moment, I struggle to put him up on the list.

I think Koufos is. I'm trying to think how many times I've said "Dammit Koufos!" over the course of his career here in Sac and it's been maybe once or twice. He seems to always be where he needs to be. Rarely takes bad shots and doesn't make dumb plays.

I don't think BBIQ at center is as important as it is for a point guard but right now Koufos is the guy in my opinion.

Uhhhhh. Are you suggesting you need to be born with it? Or maybe a genie needs to grant it? Magic beans?
The special ones yes(LeBron, Magic, Bird, Nash, Kidd, Curry, Kobe etc). There's a certain amount you can improve by just logging in hour after hour but every guy comes in with a natural baseline. You can't tell me Ben Mclemore(one of the lowest basketball IQ's I've ever seen at the NBA level) can ever become a high IQ basketball player. Hell even look at our franchise, Chris Webber and Vlade Divac are some of the highest IQ big men in NBA history. They both came into the league with a high baseline level, sure they had to work out some kinks and adjust to the NBA but the high IQ was there from the beginning. DeMarcus Cousins, dude was making high level reads as a rookie, it took him a couple years to work out what he needed to do to dominate but as a big man you could see right away he was a high level passer naturally.

Last edited:
It seems totally presumptuous for a bunch of amateur wannabes like us, to judge the bball IQ of players that have made it to the NBA.

However, guys like Bogdan, Fox, Hield, Kufous, and Zbo seem to have a lot of it.
Guys like Willie, Skal, and Ben do not.