Backlog at the 4 & 5

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think that just by the nature of the fact that the veterans will get far less minutes this year, the pace will get faster. It's hard to play at a quicker pace with Randolph on the floor, or for a period of time last season, Hill on the floor. Hill was a ball pounder who ate up the clock. Plus, last season was all about the young guys trying to find chemistry with each other, sometimes to the point of hurting the team by trying to be too unselfish. I remember plays where Bog's drove into the lane, had an apparent layup, but instead kicked the ball into the right corner to Jackson, who had an open shot, but instead put the ball on the floor, drove two dribbles closer to the basket, and into a more contested shot which he missed.

That's the kind of stuff that gives a coach grey hair, and also makes for a slower pace. So I contribute some of the slower pace to youth and inexperience, and some to the mix of veterans into the lineup. I doubt that Randolph will see many minutes this year. The Kings had told Temple that if he opted in, he wouldn't be playing. If they told Temple that, one can assume that they also mentioned it to 38 year old Randolph. As you pointed out, we have a very athletic team that wants to get out and run. The trick is to run, and get something quickly out of it. Stop passing up open shots!

I hate to pick on Skal, but he was culprit number one when it came to passing up an open shot and dribbling into a more contested one. Jackson was culprit number 2. Willie simply didn't take the 16 footer when it was there, and he has to, whether he makes it or not. He has to make the other team respect him from there. So your right, move the ball until you get an open shot, and then take the open shot. It won't always be easy to get an open shot, so for god's sake, don't pass them up when you have them. I think Buddy figured it out last season and I'm expecting a big year from him.
I'd really like to know what exactly the coaches are teaching. You mention experience as a factor. Maybe coaching is also a factor. For example, if you recall the beginning of last season, Joerger harped about driving to the basket, going strong, and getting foul calls. One player in particular that took his advice was Jackson. He drove to the basket, didn't use his floater, and tried to get layups or slams at the rim. This resulted in him getting stopped at the rim without getting two points or a foul call. This also resulted in not taking the open outside shots. As time went on Joerger seemed to see the error of his ways and seemed to give JJ the green light to use his floater, which is one of the main weapons in his arsenal. JJ did better after that. The whole saga makes me question what exactly Joerger is telling these young guys to begin with.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I'd really like to know what exactly the coaches are teaching. You mention experience as a factor. Maybe coaching is also a factor. For example, if you recall the beginning of last season, Joerger harped about driving to the basket, going strong, and getting foul calls. One player in particular that took his advice was Jackson. He drove to the basket, didn't use his floater, and tried to get layups or slams at the rim. This resulted in him getting stopped at the rim without getting two points or a foul call. This also resulted in not taking the open outside shots. As time went on Joerger seemed to see the error of his ways and seemed to give JJ the green light to use his floater, which is one of the main weapons in his arsenal. JJ did better after that. The whole saga makes me question what exactly Joerger is telling these young guys to begin with.
I think your taking a snippets like this and just blowing it up. Could it be that he wants them to go strong to the rim to try and draw fouls? Not necessarily to pass up the open 3 or jumper but that the inexperienced guys need to do a better job of recognizing.

Vlade/Joerger will most likely come and go as a tandem. I don’t see Vivek doing the coach before GM thing again, but may be wrong?

I have questions about Dave but it may be unfortunate, IMO, his wagon is hitched to Vlade, who I find on questionable ground as of now. I think he can be a solid coach. His scheme and not “tanking” drove me crazy, but I like his no nonsense, energetic style. Im holding off judgement

Last edited:
Vlade/Joerger will most likely come and go as a tandem. I don’t see Vivek doing the coach before GM thing again, but may be wrong?

I have questions about Dave but it may be unfortunate, IMO, his wagon is hitched to Vlade, who I find on questionable ground as of now. I think he can be a solid coach. His scheme and not “tanking” drove me crazy, but I like his no nonsense, energetic style. Im holding off judgement
I’d take Vlade over Joerger any day, Vlade isn’t the one running plays through ZBo. Vlade has also brought in good young talent, keep him hire Blatt ifbit came to it

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think your taking a snippets like this and just blowing it up. Could it be that he wants them to go strong to the rim to try and draw fouls? Not necessarily to pass up the open 3 or jumper but that the inexperienced guys need to do a better job of recognizing.
Instead of taking snippets, do you want me to post everything Joerger has ever said during his entire tenure with the Kings? I think I'll stick to the snippets. What stuck out, even to Jerry Reynolds I might add, was that JJ was foregoing his runners (a strength) for taking the ball all the way to the hoop and challenging the big men (a weakness). He was doing that because of what the coaches told him. Did he misunderstand their communication? Were they unclear? We aren't privy to that. What we are privy to was the fact that it took several games before it all got sorted out. That's not exactly Communication 101 by the coaching staff, no matter how you cut it.

Instead of taking snippets, do you want me to post everything Joerger has ever said during his entire tenure with the Kings? I think I'll stick to the snippets. What stuck out, even to Jerry Reynolds I might add, was that JJ was foregoing his runners (a strength) for taking the ball all the way to the hoop and challenging the big men (a weakness). He was doing that because of what the coaches told him. Did he misunderstand their communication? Were they unclear? We aren't privy to that. What we are privy to was the fact that it took several games before it all got sorted out. That's not exactly Communication 101 by the coaching staff, no matter how you cut it.
The instructions were to go hard to the basket when driving (not instead of the outside shot). The same was said to Fox. I idea was to teach them how to better finish at the basket and/or get to the line. From what I heard it was never intended to have them forego runners and floaters forever.

I've been calling to fire Joerger since midway through last year.

I think Vlade was handcuffed to an owner wanting to succeed with Demarcus and a new arena. The Stauskas trade was terrible no other words, but since then i'm impressed with the rebuild Vlade did in 2 years. I would like to keep Vlade in some capacity and fire Joerger whose been a terrible coach.
I hear George Karl may be available. :rolleyes:

dude12

Hall of Famer
I don’t think your getting this right. You are misunderstanding.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The instructions were to go hard to the basket when driving (not instead of the outside shot). The same was said to Fox. I idea was to teach them how to better finish at the basket and/or get to the line. From what I heard it was never intended to have them forego runners and floaters forever.
Yeah, the coach told him to forego the runners until the coach saw that it was a disaster doing so. Then the coach changed his mind and JJ started playing better. Yes, it wasn't forever.

In all seriousness, Karl has to look at the way things unfolded and be like WTF. They traded Cousins a short time later and ended up putting together pieces that fit his system perfectly.
While WCS scores mainly off lobs and open dunks and Seth Curry is pretty much just around for a while.

Koufos is a guy I like to watch. He shows up and plays defense and rebounds. His offense is not pretty but effective.
Every team needs a guy like him. He is hardnosed and does not rile easily. Great for young players to practice against.
He uses all of his ability. Players like Skal and Willie do not come close.
Kosta is the kind of player that makes a great team mate.

Koufos is a guy I like to watch. He shows up and plays defense and rebounds. His offense is not pretty but effective.
Every team needs a guy like him. He is hardnosed and does not rile easily. Great for young players to practice against.
He uses all of his ability. Players like Skal and Willie do not come close.
Kosta is the kind of player that makes a great team mate.

I would never trade him.
He actually has great hands for a big man and rarely turns the ball over. The opposite of many big men like Papa that have hands of stone.

Last edited:
I predict Kosta will be traded to the Lakers at some point this year, if the the Lakers are looking like a playoff team.
The Lakers have their contracts and cap exactly where they want it for the summer of 2019. I think it's unlikely they make any move, let alone trade for Kufos. They can't take any extra money or years back. The only 1 for 1 expiring contract in the range for Kufos is .... Rondo. And that's not going to happen for a few reasons.