Jason Jones leaving the Bee

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Athletic already has beat writers covering the major Bay Area teams, so it seems natural that they'd look to add someone who already has the relevant sources if they were looking to expand into covering the Kings. I hope the Bee replaces him, though, and doesn't just go with filler from the wire sources to cover the Kings. They've done that with baseball, but you'd hope the only local major professional sports franchise is a priority. I subscribe (digitally) to the Bee for reasons other than sports, but it's been sad to see the decline of the sports section, which I grew up looking forward to read every day and even published articles of my own there.

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
I would consider this horrible news for sports journalism. Considering that a not-very-loved local paper guy is leaving local paper which is dumping sports writers ... ok, writing on the wall there, just part of the slow death of American media. I have a love hate with the beat writers for all the teams I follow.

But I can't really help but feel like what is supposed to be a premium online sports news source like The Athletic could/should do Kings fans better then giving them the local guy they've mostly hated on for free. Am I way off base here?

I would consider this horrible news for sports journalism. Considering that a not-very-loved local paper guy is leaving local paper which is dumping sports writers ... ok, writing on the wall there, just part of the slow death of American media. I have a love hate with the beat writers for all the teams I follow.

But I can't really help but feel like what is supposed to be a premium online sports news source like The Athletic could/should do Kings fans better then giving them the local guy they've mostly hated on for free. Am I way off base here?
Exactly my first thought as well. I've been reading uninspired ("free") content from Jones for many years now on the bee. They are now thinking people will pay to read the same thing? The Athletic business model works with high profile, local writers that have a big following. I just don't really see why they felt compelled to lure Jones over. Is anyone seriously looking to him for content on the Kings?

What a bad day for the Athletic users. I love this site because they have a great coverage of my fav Bay Area teams and now we get Jason Boring-as-hell Jones as the Kings guy? Why? Why? Why?
As TaxMan has said, the Athletic brings the best local writers and we get ........ him.

Uhg... Why Jones? The Athletic has been scooping up some talented journalist/sports insiders. I feel like Jones was less connected to the Kings than AV. Should have gone after Cunningham/Ham.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Uhg... Why Jones? The Athletic has been scooping up some talented journalist/sports insiders. I feel like Jones was less connected to the Kings than AV. Should have gone after Cunningham/Ham.
The Athletic should have gone after James Ham? :oops::rolleyes:o_O

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Stick a fork in them, with glee!!
Be very careful what you wish for. The death of print media should not be underestimated as a major turning point in history. Once all print media is gone, all that will remain is digital - and digital can be doctored, revised, erased a lot easier than actual physical copies of newspapers. It's easy to change history when there are no documents to refute the changes... Just sayin'

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

But I can't really help but feel like what is supposed to be a premium online sports news source like The Athletic could/should do Kings fans better then giving them the local guy they've mostly hated on for free. Am I way off base here
?
I've interacted with Jason Jones up close and personal and in person - as in at a pre-draft workout. We actually sat next to each other in the media room. I don't remember all the players who worked out that day, but I do remember Dionte Christmas was one of them. Jason knew who I was - and he wasn't impressed by a representative from a Kings website. I wasn't impressed because he was a Laker fan. It was a pretty stony silence for the whole time I was there.

I've been as critical (if not moreso) as anyone here of Jason Jones. I think people are being unfair to him now, though, as I've watched his growth as a reporter and I'm about as happy with him as I've been with anyone since Mark Kreidler. Does he get all the information some of you want? Nope. Would any reporter be able to get that info? Also nope. I've been there, guys, and it's not a walk in the park. As much as some of you detest him, I think you have to acknowledge that he's done the job (especially the past few years) with objectivity. He's presented facts, not opinions - which is the main difference between a reporter and a columnist (which is what Voisin was).

I wish Jason luck with The Athletic. I think he'll do a credible job.

I've interacted with Jason Jones up close and personal and in person - as in at a pre-draft workout. We actually sat next to each other in the media room. I don't remember all the players who worked out that day, but I do remember Dionte Christmas was one of them. Jason knew who I was - and he wasn't impressed by a representative from a Kings website. I wasn't impressed because he was a Laker fan. It was a pretty stony silence for the whole time I was there.

I've been as critical (if not moreso) as anyone here of Jason Jones. I think people are being unfair to him now, though, as I've watched his growth as a reporter and I'm about as happy with him as I've been with anyone since Mark Kreidler. Does he get all the information some of you want? Nope. Would any reporter be able to get that info? Also nope. I've been there, guys, and it's not a walk in the park. As much as some of you detest him, I think you have to acknowledge that he's done the job (especially the past few years) with objectivity. He's presented facts, not opinions - which is the main difference between a reporter and a columnist (which is what Voisin was).

When I think about a premium sports page which is what the Athletic markets itself as being, I want more than just a beat reporter. I want critical yet clinical analysis. Hard hitting but fair. I want unique takes but no hot takes. Incidentally that is not Voisin either. But since you mention Kreidler, that is the sort of writer in his prime that I would pay to read articles from. Jason Jones has yet to make his way into that category which is what I was lamenting.

Currently The Athletic is not for me, which may be my larger point. I certainly don't wish Jason any ill will.

dude12

Hall of Famer

Jason Jones gets beat to the story or info all the time by guys such as Sean Cunningham. It’s true. Plus he’s a Laker fan and a Dodger fan.

Cunningham does a great job and is connected.

Ham? He’s not connected. Someone else will break news and 40 minutes later he will tweet sources confirm. Happens every time.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Jason Jones gets beat to the story or info all the time by guys such as Sean Cunningham. It’s true. Plus he’s a Laker fan and a Dodger fan.
I'm well aware of his Laker fandom, having said as much in my post above.

Cunningham does a great job and is connected.

Ham? He’s not connected. Someone else will break news and 40 minutes later he will tweet sources confirm. Happens every time.
I have yet to see Ham with any real thought of his own. I'm still shocked that he has somehow slid into a relatively high profile "insider" position on comcast. It's baffling to me. Seems like a nice guy, but listening to him ramble on his podcast was more than I could take.

I have yet to see Ham with any real thought of his own. I'm still shocked that he has somehow slid into a relatively high profile "insider" position on comcast. It's baffling to me. Seems like a nice guy, but listening to him ramble on his podcast was more than I could take.
I've been told by multiple people that there were others who turned down the job because it was not enough pay and or worth it to them.

He was not their first choice.

He was not their second choice.

They wanted someone who could blog and he was finally offered the low paying position. The job doesn't make him the bread winner.

He is only an "insider" by job title. Every time some kind of news breaks, it's always someone else who does break the news with him later saying "sources confirm."

Nice guy? I'll refrain myself. :)

I'd like to get back on topic so here goes.

I don't pay for a subscription to the Bee and never will.

Jason Jones did his job by providing factual stories on the Kings.

With Jones leaving the Bee to the Athletic, I do not see the point in subscribing to the Athletic too.

The Athletic has some great writers and I love the job Matt Barrows did with the 49ers.

But I am still not paying to read the Athletic.

That's just me.

I am a HUGE pro wrestling fan (that's sports entertainment to others).

I love reading PW Insider mostly for its insider news but I am still not paying for their exclusive content.

I love listening to Something to Wrestle With Bruce Prichard but still not paying. However, I would pay to attend one of their shows.

Don't get me started on MoviePass. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.