Kings to make offer to Marcus Smart?

Should Kings make the offer to Marcus Smart?

• Total voters
Dave Joerger loved playing Tony Allen so Smart would actually make a lot of sense if Fox learns how to shoot in a couple of years and Smart is with us could be a Conley/Allen duo
I think Smart is going to sign the qualifying offer with the Celtics and become an UFA next season

Steve Bulpett @SteveBHoop
Just ran into Marcus Smart here after Celtics' game. Said he's heading to meet with his agent... He's been dealing with his mom's health situation, but added that he'd like to get his contract resolved. Brad Stevens walked by and said he'd be calling. Clearly C's want this done.

I know Boston can match, but I would still look for another facilitator (see below). See what it takes to get either Avery Bradley or Pat Beverly from the clips.

The Clippers went after the 2 players I wanted most and now have Avery Bradley, Pat Beverly and Mbah A Moute. Good luck finding an open perimeter shot against the Clips.

Mike James adds a shooter and a crafty scorer around the basket. I think he would be an upgrade over mason.

Fox/
Buddy/Smart
Bogi/Temple (or Shump)
Giles/Bagley
KK/WCS

Meh: Mason, Shump, JJ, Zbo, Skal

*I thought of Smart with Buddy off the bench, but there wojld be "no" 3pt shooting that way.

Damn I'd like smart but dont want to overpay. Especially for a backup. I was thinking 8-10 Mil but that's easily matchable. That's why it's hard dealing with rfa

Going to be kind of mad if we don't give him the lavine money. Hes better than lavine and hed make us quite a bit better than lavine would. Itll be insanely stupid to offer like 16 mil to get it matched when I doubt Boston can sign him at 19 mil.

Go get the talent. Worrying about overpaying by a couple mil a season shouldn't matter in this situation

Going to be kind of mad if we don't give him the lavine money. Hes better than lavine and hed make us quite a bit better than lavine would. Itll be insanely stupid to offer like 16 mil to get it matched when I doubt Boston can sign him at 19 mil.

Go get the talent. Worrying about overpaying by a couple mil a season shouldn't matter in this situation
Absolutely. I think Smart would be an absolute game changer for us, atleast in terms of style of play because he should improve our defense dramatically, which should lead to more fast breaks and opportunities to run. All those cute horn sets Joeger can have in the half court but if we’re getting deflections we’re going to have to run, one way or the other.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Absolutely. I think Smart would be an absolute game changer for us, atleast in terms of style of play because he should improve our defense dramatically, which should lead to more fast breaks and opportunities to run. All those cute horn sets Joeger can have in the half court but if we’re getting deflections we’re going to have to run, one way or the other.
Not to mention, he'd perfectly fit the Tony Allen role if Joerger did wind up going with the grit'n'grind set up anyways.

Question is how the hell are the C's going to prioritize Smart when Kyrie will be a FA next year? Irving makes 20 mill this year and that will darn near double next year. I say we continue to force teams to match and if they don't we come out with a talented player with more money to play with next year. As Vlade would so eloquently state, "culture is important!" Smart fills a massive role on this team.

Last edited:
I'm 100% behind going for smart. I'd be ok with 15-17 mil if that's what it will take. Smart really gives us the ability to create some match up nightmares.

That's only 3 shooters.. and longterm, we only have 2. Not enough shooting at all. Smart would be our bench player.

Fox -nonshooter
Buddy
Bogdan
Bagley -nonshooter
WCS/Giles -nonshooters

Temple can’t shoot. Where did you pull that from? He was lousy last year. Check his numbers again.