The Saga of DeMarcus Cousins

Some of you need to get over your fixation with Bricklayer. He's gone, he hasn't posted anything here OR at PelicansReport in a long time and I doubt if he'll follow Boogie to GSW considering his disdain for their front office.

Bottom line? Sniping at him or berating him at this point is a textbook example of beating a dead horse.
I keep thinking to the Jerk Store episode of Seinfeld and that we've got a whole lot of Costanzas.

Are the Warriors going to be in a position where they have to choose between Green and Cousins? I say that assuming Cousins rehabs and becomes a contributor. Green may actually be a better fit, not better talent for the Warriors.

I’m disappointed by Boogie’s decision, but I understand it. With no worthy offers on the table, an Achilles tear to rehab, and the very real possibility that he may never again be the player he once was, going to a playoff contender made the most sense. The Warriors came calling because they can easily absorb Boogie’s baggage without it upsetting their championship culture and chemistry. For them, it’s low risk, extremely high reward. For Boogie, he gets to remain close to Sacramento, which is legitimately a second home for him.

I mean, the dude had to be disappointed that New Orleans was uninterested in signing him to a “make good” deal, all this after being traded by the Kings in a very unprofessional manner, so he took a road that will lead him to the playoffs for the first time in his career. Hard to blame him. It REALLY sucks for the competitive balance of the league, but Boogie’s just playing by the same rules as everyone else. The league has to figure out for itself how to solve that problem.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
And what's your point? I'm sorry but I personally cannot root for him while he wears that jersey.
My point is he's just doing what's best for him. Sacramento didn't want him, it sounds like New Orleans was having second thoughts too. If he has to sign a one-year deal somewhere to prove he's healthy and recover enough value to sign a contract befitting an All-NBA big man he might as well hunt a championship at the same time. Nine years into his career and he's yet to play in a single playoff game. He's got nothing left to prove as an individual -- I think he just wanted to be a part of a team that has their crap together. People bashed KD for his decision but all he said at the time was he wanted to go somewhere where playing basketball was fun again. That wasn't happening for him in OKC and it is in Oakland. The play style is the big draw for players going there -- even more than the possibility of winning a championship.

Reading into your comments, it sounds like you have more of a problem with Warriors fans than you do with the Warriors themselves. Yeah I know it's annoying when they show up in our arena in mass numbers but that's just a symptom of success. We did it too when we had a winning team. I find them easy to ignore but it seems to be harder for you, which is fine. You can skip those 4 games next year and just pretend this never happened. Vlade basically destroyed my desire to watch the Kings anymore so I'll watch a bit of Boogie on Golden State just to see how that's going to work. I'll watch a bit of Lebron and Rajon on the Lakers to see how they play together. I'll watch a bit of Luka and Harrison Barnes on the Mavs because those are both players I followed early in their careers and I want to see them have some success together. I'll watch the Devin Booker/Josh Jackson/ DeAndre Ayton/Mikal Bridges group in Phoenix because that seems like a fun young team with a lot of potential. If you ignore the jerseys and just focus on the people inside them, this off-season has at least shaken things up and given us some new storylines to follow.

I hate this with a passion, but if I squint just right I can see how it could be a really good choice for Boogie. He's not completely healthy so he goes to play and learn from a team that, for all its warts, plays winning basketball which he has been desperate for. He doesn't have to carry them but he can contribute and get a feel for good basketball and get healthy.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My point is he's just doing what's best for him. Sacramento didn't want him, it sounds like New Orleans was having second thoughts too. If he has to sign a one-year deal somewhere to prove he's healthy and recover enough value to sign a contract befitting an All-NBA big man he might as well hunt a championship at the same time. Nine years into his career and he's yet to play in a single playoff game. He's got nothing left to prove as an individual -- I think he just wanted to be a part of a team that has their crap together. People bashed KD for his decision but all he said at the time was he wanted to go somewhere where playing basketball was fun again. That wasn't happening for him in OKC and it is in Oakland. The play style is the big draw for players going there -- even more than the possibility of winning a championship.

Reading into your comments, it sounds like you have more of a problem with Warriors fans than you do with the Warriors themselves. Yeah I know it's annoying when they show up in our arena in mass numbers but that's just a symptom of success. We did it too when we had a winning team. I find them easy to ignore but it seems to be harder for you, which is fine. You can skip those 4 games next year and just pretend this never happened. Vlade basically destroyed my desire to watch the Kings anymore so I'll watch a bit of Boogie on Golden State just to see how that's going to work. I'll watch a bit of Lebron and Rajon on the Lakers to see how they play together. I'll watch a bit of Luka and Harrison Barnes on the Mavs because those are both players I followed early in their careers and I want to see them have some success together. I'll watch the Devin Booker/Josh Jackson/ DeAndre Ayton/Mikal Bridges group in Phoenix because that seems like a fun young team with a lot of potential. If you ignore the jerseys and just focus on the people inside them, this off-season has at least shaken things up and given us some new storylines to follow.
I hate the Warriors. I hate their fans. I'm glad you can be more open-minded. I will always like and respect Boogie and, as one of his original fans, it pains me to see him in a Warriors uniform.

The Warriors and other superteams are ruining the NBA because of free agency. Now? I'm done with this. I've got a young Kings team to root for.

This. We just saw it with PG. Your perspective changes when you sustain a career-altering injury.

No one complained when C-Webb signed with the Pistons despite them already being a championship team.
Paul George and C-Webb had achieved far more than Cousins has, and C-Webb was also much older. He has every right to change his priorities, but let's not pretend that it's not a change. .

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
If he hadn't sustained that injury, he would most likely have been priced out of GSW's reach. Blame the injury.
If Vivek and Vlade signed him to the contract he deserved, instead of shipping him to a ghost town, GS never would have been an option as the contract offer time period was before he blew his tire.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Paul George and C-Webb had achieved far more than Cousins has, and C-Webb was also much older.
I'd say "far more" is a stretch. Like, it's kind of true, but not really; so far, their respective careers add up to the same thing.

Also, at the end of the day, Mark Madsen has three rings, and Chris Webber has none. I'll never begrudge someone "chasing" a ring again.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If Vivek and Vlade signed him to the contract he deserved, instead of shipping him to a ghost town, GS never would have been an option as the contract offer time period was before he blew his tire.
If he hadn't had reputation problems, he wouldn't have fallen to the Kings in the first place.

We could do this forever. If you want to have the last word, go for it.

Well we now know that the Pelicans did not want him back and made no offer. This is surprising considering how well he played for them and the fact they traded away good pieces to get him. Either the Pels felt his injury is career altering or they felt he didn't make a big enough impact in the win column to justify a short or long term contract.

This falls back on his agent not having a good plan in place. Cousins had to call the Warriors for gosh sake.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Lonzo Ball, a 20 years old second year rookie with a broken shot, will make ~$2m more than DMC next year.

If this is the best offer he could get then DMC is as broken as Ball’s shot.
It's a 1 year deal, with no real timetable for when he'll actually step on the court. Essentially he's getting paid to rehab completely and hopefully prove himself for a BIG payday in the 2019 free agency market.

I was a little irked about it but after thinking it through a bit, I am happy for Boogie. No one wanted him after his horrific achilles injury. He has a chance to rehab with one of the best medical teams in the league with little pressure to return too early, learn what a championship locker room is like and then hopefully be healthy enough to show he was a difference maker on a championship team to earn himself a max contract. This was the best situation for him. Blame the other 29 squads for not pursuing him. Also, blame the Players Association for rejecting the smoothing of the cap a few years back for what is happening now.

I’m disappointed by Boogie’s decision, but I understand it. With no worthy offers on the table, an Achilles tear to rehab, and the very real possibility that he may never again be the player he once was, going to a playoff contender made the most sense. The Warriors came calling because they can easily absorb Boogie’s baggage without it upsetting their championship culture and chemistry. For them, it’s low risk, extremely high reward. For Boogie, he gets to remain close to Sacramento, which is legitimately a second home for him.

I mean, the dude had to be disappointed that New Orleans was uninterested in signing him to a “make good” deal, all this after being traded by the Kings in a very unprofessional manner, so he took a road that will lead him to the playoffs for the first time in his career. Hard to blame him. It REALLY sucks for the competitive balance of the league, but Boogie’s just playing by the same rules as everyone else. The league has to figure out for itself how to solve that problem.
I fully agree with your assessment. I wish the best for him and although I have no love for the spoiled warriors I'll continue rooting for him.

I was a little irked about it but after thinking it through a bit, I am happy for Boogie. No one wanted him after his horrific achilles injury. He has a chance to rehab with one of the best medical teams in the league with little pressure to return too early, learn what a championship locker room is like and then hopefully be healthy enough to show he was a difference maker on a championship team to earn himself a max contract. This was the best situation for him. Blame the other 29 squads for not pursuing him. Also, blame the Players Association for rejecting the smoothing of the cap a few years back for what is happening now.
I'm not really sure what "difference" he's going to make though.. a larger winning point differential in their finals sweep?

You know, basketball-related antics aside, I like the guy. But time and again the league has "priced" him very much at a discount, and to me he still has not proven that he actually helps teams as much as some people here claim he does. If anything, I wish he stayed in NO or joined LeBron to try and take down the Warriors. While still not proving that he's actually a franchise player (as in, being the leader/best player on a winning team), doing so would have more clearly shown the difference he makes, as you put it.

I'm not really sure what "difference" he's going to make though.. a larger winning point differential in their finals sweep?

You know, basketball-related antics aside, I like the guy. But time and again the league has "priced" him very much at a discount, and to me he still has not proven that he actually helps teams as much as some people here claim he does. If anything, I wish he stayed in NO or joined LeBron to try and take down the Warriors. While still not proving that he's actually a franchise player (as in, being the leader/best player on a winning team), doing so would have more clearly shown the difference he makes, as you put it.
I think that ship has sailed on him being a #1 guy in the league but I think if healthy, could be a good #2 or 2a for a championship caliber team. Maybe I should have said, instead of being a “difference” maker on this Warriors squad because barring any injury, they are going to win the whole thing again, all he needs to show is that he is healthy and capable of playing at the level he was at prior to his injury.

I hate the Warriors. I hate their fans. I'm glad you can be more open-minded. I will always like and respect Boogie and, as one of his original fans, it pains me to see him in a Warriors uniform.

The Warriors and other superteams are ruining the NBA because of free agency. Now? I'm done with this. I've got a young Kings team to root for.
Long-time Warrior fans are around - I have one at my office whos been a fan for over 45 years. Problem now is the fairweather herd are out (and growing). And fairweather herding is from everywhere much more than the Bay Area. Like seeing "Warrior" fans in Seattle or Hawaii or Florida, or Internationally or etc. Like mentioned earlier its people wanting to show or relate to the success.. If Cousins wants to play for a quarter of what he could've made (after injury) elsewhere and for a team where the need for a good center is small to nothing given the existing overall talent , that's coat-tailing just like Durant did. The Warriors were a championship level team without Durant. Cousins could and might be reduced to a role player and it wouldn't matter much.